Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-29-2007, 12:41 AM
Elite Fan

Aliens in America 1.05 - Help Wanted ~ episode discussion

Gary is ashamed to tell the family he's been fired from his job, so he tries to get everyone to cut costs. Not wanting to be a burden on the family, Raja gets a job at a convenience store, much to Gary's delight.

Justin and his pals Craig and Dooley are thrilled when they go to visit Raja at work and discover that the convenience store parking lot is the cool kids' hang-out. Everything is fine until Raja upsets the natural balance by refusing to sell liquor to kids with fake I.D. cards.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the thread, Es!

I am looking forward to this ep! It sure sounds good!

Like the philosopher Jagger once said: You can't always get what you want.
Yvonne
Old 10-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpaisley (View Post)
Thanks for the thread, Es!

I am looking forward to this ep! It sure sounds good!
Me too!

Gary must be freaking out now with him not having a job and trying to save money where he can
Old 10-29-2007, 06:59 PM
SPA
Master Fan

Well, this episode was a little different, but then again, aren't each of them?

Gary and Raja were the two main characters with a little of Justin and Claire sprinkled in the middle. Scott had his moments in this episode. Humorous at times, but a little drama. You kinda felt bad for Gary -- Scott making all these weird faces. I saw shades of Luke and his failed attempts to tell Lorelai about April when Gary attempted to tell Franny he lost his job, and wasn't able to.

It just wasn't knee-slapping funny. Maybe next week we'll find out how Gary fairs in the job market and he lands another -- better -- job, but hope it doesn't focus too much on an unemployed father with a wife and 3 teenagers.

Claire is really coming into her own as where she stands in the family -- very self assured.

Franny was not crazy this go round -- just a regular mom. No real crazy, funny mom stuff.

I liked the episode because there was a lot of Scott in it. It just seemed a little flat -- not as humorous as previous episodes, but you felt sympathy for both Gary and Raja. And there was a bonding between the two of them -- and an enlightenment. Raja now knows that Mr. Tolchuck sees him for "him," not as a foreign exchange student, border -- and that was nice to see and feel.

Oh well, that's my take on tonite's episode. Just a few thoughts here and there.

I don't even want to get started on the whole India/Pakistan differences. I thought it was a little unnecessary, but I guess needed to show the disappointment that Raja was feeling.
I'm always in Scott's corner.

Last edited by SPA; 10-29-2007 at 10:19 PM
Old 10-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Loyal Fan

My cable was out so I missed about half of it From what I did see though, I have to agree with SPA, not as funny as other episodes.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Obsessed Fan

Gotta say the last scene was my favorite. It was very touching how Raja felt like a disappointment and Gary came to realize neither one of them were. Very sweet also how he says he has to talk to his wife and they show them hugging.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Loyal Fan

I totally agree 100% with Laurie. My favorite scene was the last scene. It was really touching and a fine moment for Gary and for Raja. I really like how those two are bonding. It almost seems to me that Gary has a better relationship with Raja than he does his own son. I can't blame him, because Raja seems like a much more quality person than Justin.

I did like this episode because it wasn't so much about Justin, and it was more about Gary and Raja, my two favorite characters. Frannie didn't bug me this episode, although I don't want Scott kissing her too much yet. He still belongs to Lorelai in my mind. But that is my warped brain.

This episode was less funny and more dramatic, but even sitcoms have their dramatic episodes. I didn't mind that.

I do agree with Deborah though I really hope that they don't continue with the unemployed father storyline for long. I hope he finds a job that suits him more or that he has some divine revelation about his career.

ETA - The one real problem I had with the episode was the dinner scene where Gary was trying to get the kids to get jobs, and Frannie nixed that whole idea. Why shouldn't the kids have jobs? Most teenagers I know or knew did some kind of work to make extra money for themselves. I think they should try to promote the idea of the kids working a little. Too many kids today are spoiled and don't have any kind of work ethic!

Last edited by Elissa5; 10-29-2007 at 10:48 PM
Old 10-29-2007, 11:00 PM
SPA
Master Fan

Elissa: I'm with you on all your points. Especially about teenagers getting jobs (and I know that I'm older than you). I was a little surprised about Franny as well; though, Gary sprung the idea of the kids getting jobs out of the blue, so I guess Franny was pulling the rug from under his feet in the same way. I see both points-of-view, though I agree with Gary (and Elissa) that there is no reason whatsoever for teenagers to have part-time jobs that does include working on some weekends beginning at the age of 15-16. Isn't that the time where "cash allowances" should be stopped and they earn their own income?

Gary/Scott and Franny/Amy do portray a great long-time married couple with children. The right amount of affection, caring and respect. Those two have nailed their characters.

And Raja continues to move me. I really respond to him more than all the characters.

I liked this episode, but in a totally different way than I have in all the others.
I'm always in Scott's corner.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:46 AM
Elite Fan

Just watched the episode and I really liked it! A lot!! Especially the ending when Gary goes to talk with Raja and then goes to talk with his wife. I really loved Scott in this episode! I don't know why the writers are so set on having him stuff his face every other scene, but when he gets to act normal, he's pretty awesome!

Yvonne
Old 10-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Loyal Fan

Deborah, it sounds like we were on the same page with this episode. Most of your points I agree with. I know we see the Gary/Frannie relationship a little differently, but that's okay. I'll forgive you.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:47 PM
Total Fan

I have to say this was my favorite episode. It could have something to do with Scott being in so much of it but that is not the only reason. I just think they addressed things that are happening to so many American families. I think it was well done. I also agree that teenagers should have part time jobs. Kids are too spoiled today and get handed so many things that I think the younger set needs to learn responsibility. I also thought the Indian vs Pakistani was true to life too. I think Americans tend to group people together and that does upset people. There are differences we do not see and that can mean a world of difference to the person.

I just want you to know I'm in. I am all in.

Michelle
Old 10-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyboutscott (View Post)
I have to say this was my favorite episode. It could have something to do with Scott being in so much of it but that is not the only reason. I just think they addressed things that are happening to so many American families. I think it was well done. I also agree that teenagers should have part time jobs. Kids are too spoiled today and get handed so many things that I think the younger set needs to learn responsibility. I also thought the Indian vs Pakistani was true to life too. I think Americans tend to group people together and that does upset people. There are differences we do not see and that can mean a world of difference to the person.
I agree. All the issues were handled in a great manner.

Yvonne
Old 10-31-2007, 12:30 AM
Elite Fan

I like the episode very much

Claire was being nice to Justin, in her own way.
We got an overload of Gary&Franny love I liked the way they shot the last scene, Gary telling Franny that he lost his job.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Okay, I just watched the episode and I really liked it.
Awww, loved the last scene with Gary and Raja and then Gary telling Franny he lost his job. So cute.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:10 AM
Elite Fan

So funny how we are so divided in how we like certain eps and dislike others.

Yvonne