Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The Secret Life of Bees/Deborah Owens #2 The buzzzzz on this movie is getting us all very excited

Welcome to the 1st The Secret Life of Bees/Deborah Owens Discussion Thread

Plot Synopsis:

From IMDB:

Quote:
With pieces of her past all jumbled up in her head, young Lily Owens seizes an opportunity to leave behind her father and their South Carolina peach farm. Traveling with her nanny, Rosaleen, Lily encounters the Boatwrights, a trio of beekeeping sisters, who fold the girl into their strange, secret world. Written by IMDb Editors
14 year old Lily Owen tries to cope with her mother's death during the summer of 1964. She lives in South Carolina where racism is a difficult problem and the only woman in her life she can depend on is taken away because of her race. When she and Rosaleen reunite it's a quest to find out the truth about her mother's death 10 years prior. Written by Anonymous
The Secret Life of Bees (2008)

From About.com

Lily Melissa Owens has a special relationship with bees. At night, they squeeze through the cracks of her bedroom wall by the hundreds and fly circles around her room until the air itself is pulsating with the beat of their wings. Finally, when she can no longer stand being the only witness to this apiary wonder, she rushes to awaken the only person available - her father. But the bees don't stick around and T. Ray, who is not amused with this apparent prank, promises to get out the Martha Whites if Lily wakes him again.

"Martha Whites were a form of punishment only T. Ray could have dreamed up."

Quote:
T. Ray Owens is the hateful, peach-farming antagonist of Sue Monk Kidd's "The Secret Life of Bees." When T. Ray is feeling particularly mean towards Lily, he pulls the Martha White grits down from the pantry and pours an anthill-sized pile on the kitchen floor for Lily to kneel in. It's a unique torture that inflicts Lily's knees with hundreds of tiny stinging wounds that turn into tiny blue welts over time.
Principal Cast:

Dakota Fanning – Lily Owens
Paul Bettany – T Ray Owens
Queen Latifah – August Boatwright
Jennifer Hudson – Rosaleen
Tristan Wilds – Zach
Alicia Keys –

Director - Gina Prince-Bythewood

Recent Articles

Starring Queen Latifah, Dakota Fanning, Jennifer Hudson, Alicia Keys and Sophie Okonedo, a powerhouse ensemble of women from the world of music and film, THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES is the touching story about the need for love, sisterhood and redemption that explores the undeniable desire for a sense of belonging and the often daunting journeys that we must navigate to achieve it. Set in South Carolina, the home of the intelligent and independent honey-making Boatwright sisters (Latifah, Keys and Okonedo) is suddenly thrust into upheaval with the arrival of fourteen year-old Lily Owens (Fanning) and her caretaker Rosaleen (Hudson). Surrounded by the unexpected comforts, grace and deep rooted spirituality Lily (Fanning) encounters in the Boatwright home, she soon forms a maternal bond with each of these women whose unique and special gifts help reconcile the loss of her mother. Through the strength and female empowerment that embodies the Boatwright sisters, Lily ultimately comes to the realization that sometimes you must leave home in order to find it.

Owning and operating a successful bee farm and honey-making business, August Boatwright (Latifah) is the family matriarch running the household with a firm but loving hand with her sisters, the fiercely independent music teacher June (Keys) and the innocent childlike May (Okonedo). The Boatwright sisters’ lives are disrupted when fourteen year-old Lily Owens (Fanning) and her caretaker Rosaleen (Hudson) appear on their doorstep seeking refuge. After fleeing with Rosaleen to Tiburon, South Carolina, a place surrounded by mystery and a strong connection to Lily’s mother, they find shelter at the Boatwright household. Lily is immediately taken under the wing of August Boatwright (Latifah) as her new beekeeping apprentice. There she is given a comfortable place to explore and, for the first time in her life, just be. Lily also discovers joy in the simple pleasures of life through her deepening relationship with the Boatwright sisters and soon comes into her own, determined to enjoy the sweet nectar of life for the first time. As a budding young woman who has left the place she once called home, Lily unexpectedly finds her true home and a family she has always yearned for.

Tristan Wilds stars as August’s godson and Lily’s newfound friend, Zachary Lincoln Taylor, a hardworking teenager who dreams of becoming a lawyer; Nate Parker as a young man head over heels in love with marriage resistant June Boatwright (Keys), Hilarie Burton as the mother Lily only remembers in her dreams and Paul Bettany as her embittered and widowed father.

Casting quotes
Internationally acclaimed actor Paul Bettany, whom audiences recall as the loyal, but relentlessly daunting imaginary friend to Russell Crowe in A BEAUTIFUL MIND, portrays Fanning’s cruel father, T. Ray, in the film. “To try and think like another human being - however awful they are, however you might judge them as horrible and cruel - it’s very edifying,” Bettany
says.

It was Bettany’s chameleon-like ability to seamlessly morph from one character to the next in previous film roles that caught the attention of the filmmaking team, especially the director.
Even before she’d met him, Prince-Bythewood had thought of Bettany during the screenwriting process. Then, at their first meeting, she recalls being flabbergasted. “All I kept thinking was “Oh my God, he’s T. Ray!” Immediately following the meeting, she called and offered him the role. “There’s obviously a bunch of really great American actors that she could have gone with,” says Bettany. “Because she had faith in me, I wanted to give her my best.”

With the help of a voice coach, the versatile Bettany replaced his genteel British lilt with a Southern vernacular and transformed his easy-going, off-screen personality into that of an enigmatic time bomb, T. Ray, the lonely peach farmer who eventually becomes a cruel parent. “The struggle is to put aside your own politics and sense of right and wrong to try and produce a man of his era,” says Bettany.

Prince-Bythewood shares a surprising bit of on-set observation about Bettany. “I know T. Ray is such a dark character, but you say cut, and Paul is cracking everybody up,” she says. “He is so funny.”

Describing her character as a woman who marries beneath her social strata, so caught up in dating a “bad boy,” Hilarie Burton portrays T.Ray’s wife and Lily’s mother, Deborah Owens. The actress hopes women will find Deborah relatable and think before they act. “She knows she put herself in a difficult position, so there’s a lot of self-loathing there.”

(new still!) The lovely Paul as T-Ray:

The still where you can see Hilarie as Deborah (in the pics behind Dakota)

THREAD REMINDER: IF YOU ARE GOING TO DISCUSS ANYTHING FROM THE BOOK, PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS.

Last edited by mjgchick; 09-06-2008 at 09:37 PM
Old 09-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks Lena. Hehe cute title

Ok Jill we now have a new thread, now release those goodies your promised
Old 09-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

tftnt
Old 09-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Elite Fan

Boo Hilarie didn't go? Why did Sophia find the time to go and she didn't even have a purpose being there and Hilarie couldn't find time to support the movie? Boo. I wonder if we will get any reviews.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Master Fan

Sophia was always scheduled to attend--her film (The Narrows) is just showing there. TSLOB was actually a "Gala Premiere" (pretty damn huge), so it would've been nice if Hilarie went. The only positive I can pull out of Hilarie not attending was that Paul (who was originally on the "attending" list) didn't go either, so...eh.

I don't know if you want to replace those old articles in the OP with TIFF pics (no Hil/Paul, though)...
Cast + writer + producers + Fox execs

Cast (minus the white supporting actors ) + Director (in red)
Old 09-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Master Fan

Starring Queen Latifah, Dakota Fanning, Jennifer Hudson, Alicia Keys and Sophie Okonedo, a powerhouse ensemble of women from the world of music and film, THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES is the touching story about the need for love, sisterhood and redemption that explores the undeniable desire for a sense of belonging and the often daunting journeys that we must navigate to achieve it. Set in South Carolina, the home of the intelligent and independent honey-making Boatwright sisters (Latifah, Keys and Okonedo) is suddenly thrust into upheaval with the arrival of fourteen year-old Lily Owens (Fanning) and her caretaker Rosaleen (Hudson). Surrounded by the unexpected comforts, grace and deep rooted spirituality Lily (Fanning) encounters in the Boatwright home, she soon forms a maternal bond with each of these women whose unique and special gifts help reconcile the loss of her mother. Through the strength and female empowerment that embodies the Boatwright sisters, Lily ultimately comes to the realization that sometimes you must leave home in order to find it.

Owning and operating a successful bee farm and honey-making business, August Boatwright (Latifah) is the family matriarch running the household with a firm but loving hand with her sisters, the fiercely independent music teacher June (Keys) and the innocent childlike May (Okonedo). The Boatwright sisters’ lives are disrupted when fourteen year-old Lily Owens (Fanning) and her caretaker Rosaleen (Hudson) appear on their doorstep seeking refuge. After fleeing with Rosaleen to Tiburon, South Carolina, a place surrounded by mystery and a strong connection to Lily’s mother, they find shelter at the Boatwright household. Lily is immediately taken under the wing of August Boatwright (Latifah) as her new beekeeping apprentice. There she is given a comfortable place to explore and, for the first time in her life, just be. Lily also discovers joy in the simple pleasures of life through her deepening relationship with the Boatwright sisters and soon comes into her own, determined to enjoy the sweet nectar of life for the first time. As a budding young woman who has left the place she once called home, Lily unexpectedly finds her true home and a family she has always yearned for.

Tristan Wilds stars as August’s godson and Lily’s newfound friend, Zachary Lincoln Taylor, a hardworking teenager who dreams of becoming a lawyer; Nate Parker as a young man head over heels in love with marriage resistant June Boatwright (Keys), Hilarie Burton as the mother Lily only remembers in her dreams and Paul Bettany as her embittered and widowed father.

Casting quotes
Internationally acclaimed actor Paul Bettany, whom audiences recall as the loyal, but relentlessly daunting imaginary friend to Russell Crowe in A BEAUTIFUL MIND, portrays Fanning’s cruel father, T. Ray, in the film. “To try and think like another human being - however awful they are, however you might judge them as horrible and cruel - it’s very edifying,” Bettany
says.

It was Bettany’s chameleon-like ability to seamlessly morph from one character to the next in previous film roles that caught the attention of the filmmaking team, especially the director.
Even before she’d met him, Prince-Bythewood had thought of Bettany during the screenwriting process. Then, at their first meeting, she recalls being flabbergasted. “All I kept thinking was “Oh my God, he’s T. Ray!” Immediately following the meeting, she called and offered him the role. “There’s obviously a bunch of really great American actors that she could have gone with,” says Bettany. “Because she had faith in me, I wanted to give her my best.”

With the help of a voice coach, the versatile Bettany replaced his genteel British lilt with a Southern vernacular and transformed his easy-going, off-screen personality into that of an enigmatic time bomb, T. Ray, the lonely peach farmer who eventually becomes a cruel parent. “The struggle is to put aside your own politics and sense of right and wrong to try and produce a man of his era,” says Bettany.

Prince-Bythewood shares a surprising bit of on-set observation about Bettany. “I know T. Ray is such a dark character, but you say cut, and Paul is cracking everybody up,” she says. “He is so funny.”

Describing her character as a woman who marries beneath her social strata, so caught up in dating a “bad boy,” Hilarie Burton portrays T.Ray’s wife and Lily’s mother, Deborah Owens. The actress hopes women will find Deborah relatable and think before they act. “She knows she put herself in a difficult position, so there’s a lot of self-loathing there.”

(new still!) The lovely Paul as T-Ray:

The still where you can see Hilarie as Deborah (in the pics behind Dakota)

I also have the FULL credits (stuff that rolls at the end of the movie) if anyone wants info from that (music, whatever).

Last edited by jilliek; 09-06-2008 at 08:50 PM
Old 09-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Obsessed Fan

thanks for all the info Jill at least there's some Hil
Old 09-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Master Fan

No problem! I tried to compile all the Hil info/tidbits as possible.

Another title thing option:
Old 09-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Jill you want me to add all that in the opening?
Old 09-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Master Fan

Sure! Dunno if you want to add the Paul stuff, also. I only bring it over, cause TBQH, those are the only 2 I care about.

The articles in the OP can be deleted, since we know Hil was casted. Also, release date is October 17, 2008, if you want to add that.

Also, there's a few more new stills (Alicia/Nate, the sisters, Dakota/Queen, director directing), does anyone care about those?

Last edited by jilliek; 09-06-2008 at 09:27 PM
Old 09-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Seriously none of Hil lmfao ugh I keep passing out lol
Old 09-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Master Fan

Yep, still no Hil. And I haven't seen the HQ of that Dakota one (to enlarge the Hil pics). At least there was Paul! I know T-Ray's a creep, but that new still of PB is freakin' hotttttttttttt.

LOL, narcoleptic.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Paul is pretty. I'm attracted to crazy guys

No more like my ADD is acting up LOL
Old 09-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the info Jill and thanks Lena for updating the OP!
Old 09-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Master Fan

Film Review: The Secret Life of Bees
Bottom Line: Buzzworthy.

By Michael Rechtshaffen
Sep 5, 2008

Toronto International Film Festival

TORONTO -- Sue Monk Kidd's acclaimed, Civil Rights-era novel, "The Secret Life of Bees," about a troubled South Carolina teen who finds redemption in an unlikely place, has been turned into an affecting ensemble piece that's destined to generate a fair share of awards-season buzz.

Nicely adapted and directed by Gina Prince-Blythewood ("Love & Basketball"), the Toronto International Film Festival premiere really takes flight on the wings of its powerhouse, female-centric cast headed up by Dakota Fanning, Queen Latifah, Alicia Keys, Jennifer Hudson and, especially, Sophie Okonedo. At least a couple of those performances are certain to resonate particularly strongly ahead of the film's October 17 release, which, along with sturdy word-of-mouth should give Fox Searchlight a head-start in its kudos campaigning.

Young Fanning, who so far seems destined to avoid that awkward teen phase, is as impressive as ever in the role of Lily Owens, a 14-year-old who must cope with tremendous guilt feelings over the death of her mother, as well as daily castigation at the hands of her cold, abusive father (Paul Bettany). Ultimately fleeing with her caretaker, the strong-willed Rosaleen (Hudson), the two find sanctuary in a big Pepto-Bismol-pink house belonging to successful bee farmer August Boatwright (Queen Latifah) and her two sisters--the independent June (Keys) and the delicate, childlike May (Okonedo). Director-screenwriter Prince-Blythewood maintains, for the most part, a firm grip on the material, careful not to overplay potentially tricky, big dramatic sequences.

But while that admirable restraint occasionally comes across as tentativeness in other parts of the film, she succeeds in coaxing uniformly lovely performances from her honey of a cast.

Fanning aside, Queen Latifah shines as the calming nurturer of the three sisters; while Keys proves to be as commanding (and as a striking) a presence in front of the camera as she is behind a piano.

And while Hudson, though in a less substantial role, continues to make good on her Oscar-winning Dreamgirls promise, it's ultimately Okonedo who movingly steals the show as the Boatwright sister who tragically carries the weight of the world on her fragile shoulders.

Having previously been nominated for an Oscar for her turn opposite Don Cheadle in "Hotel Rwanda," it would be surprising if Okonedo's achingly poignant performance here didn't earn her a return ticket.

The Hollywood Reporter
Closed Thread   Post New Thread