Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-19-2005, 01:38 AM
Master Fan

Rory in "Live and Let Diorama"

Episode 5.18 - To Live and Let Diorama (from the spoilers board)

Writers: Daniel Palladino
Director: Jackson Douglas
Courtesy: Fraz and The WB

"“To Live and Let Diorama”" ((TV-PG) (HDTV))
CAROLE KING GUEST STARS/JARED PADALECKI RETURNS AS DEAN –— When Stars Hollow’s oldest resident dies and leaves his house to the town, Luke (Scott Patterson) has an ulterior motive for volunteering to help turn the house into a temporary museum. Dean (Jared Padalecki) is also working on the project, and offers Luke some unwelcome advice about the dangers of dating a Gilmore girl. To get publicity for the Dragonfly Inn, Lorelai (Lauren Graham) does an interview with a travel magazine, but immediately regrets the unkind comments she makes about being raised by Emily (Kelly Bishop, who does not appear in the episode). Meanwhile, Lane (Keiko Agena) suspects that Zach (Todd Lowe) is having a fling with music store owner Sophie (guest star Carole King), while Rory (Alexis Bledel) and Paris (Liza Weil) are both devastated by trouble with their respective boyfriends. Melissa McCarthy and Sean Gunn also star. The episode was written by Daniel Palladino and directed by Jackson Douglas, who plays Sookie’s husband Jackson on the series

Thought I'd start the thread already. So, how excited are you guys about the new episode?
Old 04-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Master Fan

thanks for starting the thread madelen. i cant wait until the ep, the hiatus has been too long. i wonder what kind of trouble Rory's having with Logan
Old 04-20-2005, 11:09 AM
Master Fan

no one has anything to say about this weeks episode?

I thought there was way too less Rory in the episode. But aww the last scene when she was crying was so sad. I wish it was longer. She has so fallen for Logan hard. I hope next week we find out more about why Logan is being an ass, i dont want to not like him.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:24 PM
Master Fan

I still don't what happened in this episode, so no comments yet. I'm gonna check out the spoilers thread if they have clips but feel free to summarize this episode to me.

Why was Rory crying in the end and how did Logan act like a jerk?
Old 04-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Master Fan

Well there was no Logan in the episode. And from the start of the episode Rory is all upset because she's just getting his voicemail and he's not calling her back. She tries to pretend to Paris that she's fine, but she's clearly not. Paris is upset about Doyle not calling and is in full depression mode. Then her and Rory go to Stars Hollow and end up getting drunk. And Rory calls Logan again and this time it goes to Logan's vm but his message is different, there's an addition addressing Finn telling him to meet him someplace for something, basically meaning Logan is fine and still partying but hasn't called Rory. After a while Rory meets her mom feeling really sick and they go home. And then we see them in the bathroom and Rory has her head in Lorelai's lap and she's all out sobbing about Logan.

Okay i suck at summaries but thats it in a nutshell. There wasnt much Rory though.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

There wasn't a lot of Rory but the end scene where she was crying with Lorelai was amazing. Alexis did a great job in that scene.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:06 AM
Loyal Fan

Oh she was in it? I must have blinked and missed it. Bad filler episode. I thought the concept of Rory's storyline was great. It's nice that she's struggling with the consequences of her decisions. It's nice that she's realizing that even though 'no strings' and 'it's college' are nice catchphrases and seem cool that doesn't mean they're right for her. It's a tough process, getting to know yourself, sometimes it requires some dunken crying on a bathroom floor. This is important stuff but what they did with it? Ah, crap. She was on screen for about 7 minutes and most of that concentrated on other characters. They're sort of telling Rory's story through Paris (who vocalizes what Rory's feeling and takes it to the extreme) which is unfair to both characters. Paris serves as just a foil character (and she seems kind of OOC too.) and Rory is left to the sidelines. It's just not working for me. Find a better way.

That last scene with Rory breaking down in Lorelai's arms was good. She seems much more sympathetic when she's vulnerable like that, not Stoic!Rory who's unaffected by everything. They're really heavy on the booze this season though.. is it just an easy way to open her up or what?

I guess they wanted to focus on townspeople before the real end of season drama starts because that will focus on the main characters (especially Rory it would seem... or am just being too optimistic?). I'm not looking forward to any possible crashbangboom twists though.
I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
~ Frank Zappa

Last edited by Paré; 04-21-2005 at 05:12 AM
Old 04-21-2005, 05:22 AM
Master Fan

Yeah i have to agree the episode was too filler like and the town got way more screentime than Rory, infact it felt like Lane even got more than her. She really didn't do much at all, which was sad. I wish they had focused more on her than Paris. And yeah Paris did seem a bit OOC but then Paris is always extreme in what she does.

I wish the final scene had been a little bit longer though, it was just sudden and blink or you'll miss it.

However i do have high hopes for next week and the rest of the season. I cant wait to see whats ahead.

Is it just me or is the episode after hiatus ends always a let down? I swear this happened after the last hiatus too.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:38 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for the summary Maz! Still haven't found any clips, but I'm working on it.

Saw the promo for next week though, and that episode could be good.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:45 AM
Passionate Fan

On "no strings." It works if you are single and all you really want is to have some sex on the side while you rebound. Or if she does really want to sleep around with a bunch of people for awhile. If you are both interested in someone and monogamy it really is a terribly bad move. Hope she is extra vigilant in using protection since she is sleeping with everyone Logan currently is.

"Sleep with me but please feel free to shop for someone better in the interim." That's what he thinks you're telling him Rory.

I still think Rory meant "no strings" to only apply to her one night stand with Logan and that she was surprised (from the look on her face when she saw Logan talking with someone else) that it applied to everything afterwards. Rather than telling Logan this she continued sleeping with him pretending everything was cool and even tried to make a show with Robert that she enjoys the arrangement. And I'll add what she told her mom was meant defensively to justify herself rather than a reflection of what she was thinking.

I will draw a parallel to the situation with Dean (as much as I want to pretend that segment of the show never happened). She wanted Dean for herself and for him to leave his wife. She felt she couldnt say so face to face since she would feel the extreme need to fornicate. So she picked the most insecure method of communication and sent him a letter saying he wasn't getting any till he ditched wifey. Luckily for Rory wifey got the letter and ditched him first.

Unluckily for Rory this time if she wants to get what she wants she'll have to stop acting like a horny toad and have an honest discussion with Logan.
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself
Old 04-21-2005, 12:10 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja
On "no strings." It works if you are single and all you really want is to have some sex on the side while you rebound. Or if she does really want to sleep around with a bunch of people for awhile. If you are both interested in someone and monogamy it really is a terribly bad move.
True. I don't think Rory thought this thing through, before she suggested it to Logan. Or maybe she did, but the meaning of "no strings" didn't really sink in. Well, it has now IMO.

Quote:
Hope she is extra vigilant in using protection since she is sleeping with everyone Logan currently is.
You think Logan has been sleeping with others? I guess I'm as naive as Rory, since I didn't even think of that possibility.

Quote:
Unluckily for Rory this time if she wants to get what she wants she'll have to stop acting like a horny toad and have an honest discussion with Logan.
I think (and hope) that we'll get this discussion in the next episode.

Oh, just watched the clip with Rory crying in the bathroom. Alexis acted really well! But that scene was way too short.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Master Fan

oh madelen i was just about to upload that crying scene for you, but you found it so thats good. Alexis was really good and way too short yes.

I do think Rory jumped into the arrangement without thinking too. But i think after this breakdown she's realising that and wants to step back and be friends again (from the promo) but Logan isn't going to let her!
Old 04-21-2005, 04:35 PM
New Fan

i loved the crying scene and the drunk scene with lane and paris that's about it
i didn't find paris begging in the streets for money that funny
and luke and lorelai just bore me
the show needed more rory
Old 04-22-2005, 11:32 AM
Addicted Fan

Paris rocks, she really does.

More GILMORE in the Gilmore Girls please! The least favorite episode of the season. Daniel and his Townies... [sigh] The Rory parts were good, but way too sparse.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:48 PM
Absolute Fan

Bad filler episode doesn't even begin to describe this episode for me. I felt like I was watching a second pilot for the show or something. It was kind of random.

Veronica Mars, House, Gilmore Girls, and Bones fangirl