Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 02:14 AM
Master Fan

Updated the first post with some info (hope you don't mind Maz!
Btw, thanks Mija for posting the cap of Alexis in B&P, hadn't noticed it before.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:51 PM
Master Fan

ofcourse i dont mind. Looks like more people are getting to see Alexis in the movie now. Thats pretty cool.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:19 AM
Dedicated Fan

Ranibear LOL . When i'm at the movies and while the movies starting i start saying all types of things about the movie and i can't stop talking about the movie during the movie. Its funny how i've never been kicked out, yet.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMilkJug
So she has the Georgiana Darcy part? That's cool.
I didn't think of that. That's pretty cool. I've read a few reviews of the film. They praise Rai's acting but don't mention much else.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:40 AM
Addicted Fan

I heard the NYC premiere of "Bride and Prejudice" was tonight. Anyone know if Alexis attended?

I didn't see her in the pictures at Getty images, but there could still have been a chance. With all the 100th episode of GG events though, I doubt she could have flown out there for it, especially since she's a small role.

But yay, only a few more weeks before B&P hits the theatres here!
Old 02-10-2005, 03:38 AM
Master Fan

shins - I haven't seen anything about that either. But if she was, I bet there'll be pics soon.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Master Fan

This from filmjerk.com:

Quote:
Film Review: Bride & Prejudice
Written by 02-10-2005 by BrianOrndorf
Another lame attempt to marry Hollywood with Bollywood, “Bride & Prejudice” is an outright mess. A disaster of a musical, and packed with actors who do not belong in this type of material, “Bride” is chore to sit through, and offers more proof that Bollywood should be left alone.

In a small town in India, Lalita (Aishwarya Rai) is living a solitary life while her family frets over who she will marry. At her sister's wedding, Lalita meets Will Darcy (Martin Henderson), a dense American who is smitten with Lalita but always seems to insult her when he speaks. When competition for Lalita's heart arrives in the form of hunky Johnny (Daniel Gillies), Darcy finds that he must speak from his heart to woo Lalita, while she struggles to find love amidst her parents' feverish matchmaking schemes.

Ever since Mira Nair's "Monsoon Wedding" crashed the independent film scene three years ago, Hollywood has been desperately chasing imports to cash in on the rage for all things India. With "The Guru," "Bollywood/Hollywood," "Bend it like Beckham," and even Nair's own stab at injecting a little of her homeland into the chilly "Vanity Fair," the attempt to bring a little eastern flavor into western films hasn't been artistically successful recently. Gurinder Chadha, director of "Beckham," has decided to climb that mountain yet again with her new Bollywood musical, "Bride & Prejudice."

Loosely adapted from the Jane Austin novel "Pride & Prejudice," this new incarnation of the timeless tale of longing is all dressed up in vibrant colors, elephants, and gorgeous cast members, but is seriously lacking any joy whatsoever. Depressingly labored, "Bride" is a perfect example of a filmmaker in way over her head. Chadha is questing to bring Bollywood staples (musical numbers, endless arguments on status and marriage, costuming galore) to English-speaking shores, but her efforts are in vain. Clearly this material just doesn't translate, and out of context with the wonderful, vibrant Indian film industry, "Bride" just looks silly and winded. Chadha attempts to keep her dusty tale moving forward with gaudy, tuneless musical numbers, but they are all so poorly choreographed, and eventually (and mystifyingly) abandoned, that all they add to the production are headache-inducing moments, not magic. If Chadha had a vision for "Bride," none of it comes across on the screen.

Possibly Chadha's biggest error in judgment is found in her casting. Leads Martin Henderson and Bollywood staple Aishwarya Rai are certainly handsome individuals, but their extremely opposite approaches to performing torpedo their chemistry even before it has a chance to coagulate. Rai is a bright-eyed ingénue, anxious to overact whenever she can. I give her credit for such enthusiasm, but it quickly becomes too much. Henderson, the perma-stubbled actor who was wooden in "The Ring" and comatose in "Torque," doesn't have anything to add to "Bride" outside of his good looks. Henderson doesn't even try; instead he stumbles blandly through his scenes with a confused look on his face that I'm not convinced was acting. Rai and Henderson's scenes together are torture, and utterly lacking the critical romantic core the story is built upon.

Outside of some odd cameos by singer Ashanti and "Gilmore Girls" star Alexis Bledel, the rest of "Bride" is a disaster, ranging from crushingly unfunny comic relief (actor Nitlin Ganatra) to supporting characters that are given threadbare screen time, yet factor heavily into the story. I assume Chadha was hoping to achieve the ultimate East meets West musical comedy, but in almost every way imaginable, she has failed in her mission.
Not a very good review for the movie, but at least he liked Alexis.
Also found this little tidbit about Alexis filming B&P from an article in the Houston Chornicle:

Quote:
She (Gurinder Chadha) shot Bride in India, England and the United States. Houston-born actress Alexis Bledel (Gilmore Girls), who plays Darcy's sister, had to fly from Los Angeles to London to shoot her scenes, even though they were set in California.

Last edited by madelen; 02-11-2005 at 09:16 AM
Old 02-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Addicted Fan

You know, I love how Alexis escapes criticism in this lambasting film reviews. The reviews that blasted Tuck Everlasting still liked Alexis and thought her incredible charming and beautiful. This not-so-positive review for B&P at least never knocks on Alexis.

(It's kind of like Cate Blanchett. Despite the poor reception of some of her films, she herself has never received bad notice. I know Alexis can carry that Cate-like streak into her work, at the worst. At the best, well, the film will be a knockout winner with superb talent as shown by Alexis et al.)
Old 02-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

I so want to see this movie and I think its cool that the film critics love Alexis because I think she's pretty talented too.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:31 AM
Elite Fan

I have never posted on this board before but I saw this movie last night (twice) and had to come here and post.

This has been one of the best movies that I have seen all year. Went to a 6.45 sessions with some friends and we loved it so much that we went again to the 9.15 session. Screamed when I saw Alexis on the screen. Had no idea at all that she was going to be in it.

Her two small scenes were great. Whole movie has fantastic. It has been getting some excellent reviews here in Australia.

It's Elementary my dear Watson
Old 02-19-2005, 02:47 AM
Master Fan

Hi foreva_99! I'm glad you liked the movie and Alexis part in it! I haven't seen it yet, but I want to.

Hope to see you posting here in the future!
Old 02-19-2005, 11:18 PM
Absolute Fan

I liked the movie. I mean, I like Bollywood, I like Pride and Prejudice, I like Alexis, it's a great combination! I had no idea it was a Bollywood-type movie though so I sat there wondering when Alexis was going to appear.

Veronica Mars, House, Gilmore Girls, and Bones fangirl
Old 02-20-2005, 02:38 AM
Addicted Fan

After seeing the movie, I do wonder why Alexis agreed to such a small role. Her scenes were important, but so short! I was excited to see her on the bigscreen again. Aishwarya Rai was beaming and gorgeous in this film, a true standout, who diminished the presence of all those around her.

But when Alexis first appears onscreen, the camera pauses, as if to say, "Look, yes, it is beautiful Alexis. Take a moment to let her beauty sink in." She held her own against Ash, which I was a bit worried about. Alexis was absolutely beautiful in this film - that much more magnified on a huge screen, compared to a TV screen. Too bad we didn't get to see her put her skills to work, as the scenes still reminded me very much of Rory Gilmore. There wasn't too much to play with.

The film was very entertaining, but only if you are expecting the Bollywood to bust out. If not, you may be in a rude and cheesy awakening.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:50 PM
Master Fan

Oh cool Naveen Andrews is in too, anyways is this movie coming out in theatres or DVD?
Old 02-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Loyal Fan

I'm having reservations about seeing this film... so many mixed reviews! But, it's nice to know that many of you liked it. I like Bollywood films and think Aishwarya Rai is great (and gorgeous)... so, I'll probably check it out eventually. It'll be nice to see Alexis as someone other than Rory - even if it's just for two scenes!

Hannah

LUKE: You're an amazing woman.
LORELAI: Thank you for noticing.

Fanfiction Entries