Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-06-2005, 08:25 AM
Addicted Fan

Did anyone else see the domino scene in the promo, but it didn't make it to the clips? I wonder what they were doing. Despite the fact it was TeenNick, I really liked seeing Alexis smile and goof off a lot - we don't have to see her in that relaxed and kiddish a setting often.

Though Alexis was half-kidding through many of her answers on TeenNick, I thought it was interesting that she said Sisterhood was her favorite experience, whereas Amber said Joan. Lately, with her appearance in multiple interviews, it seems like Alexis does not care too much for Gilmore anymore, and really wants to get a move on her post-Gilmore career. Her job sounds like an obligation more than a continued choice.

Last edited by ilovetheshins; 06-06-2005 at 09:55 AM
Old 06-06-2005, 10:52 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheshins
Her job sounds like an obligation more than a continued choice.
Hope it isn't an obligation. That would surely affect her performance on the show.

So, I've been hearing about a second TeenNick clip...Anyone know where I could find it? Or would anyone be so kind as to post the clip here? It would be greatly appreciated.

ETA: Never mind...I just found it.

Last edited by madelen; 06-06-2005 at 11:39 AM
Old 06-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Master Fan

i havent seen the clip yet but it sounds great. and a second clip madelen? could you post the link here?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Master Fan

It's here: http://www.cosmic-dance-of-shiva.net
Old 06-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Elite Fan

Wasn't sure if this was posted but it's from the new Entertainment Weekly, which I just got today which has a 2 page article on SoTP, plus another review (B+). I don't have a scanner anymore so I can't scan it, it has a cute new picture though. They're all in a bed and laughing, as weird as it sounds:

Quote:
"Fun enough, in fact, that all four girls have signed on to do sequels 2 and 3, should the studio decide to make them. 'I'm already starting to outline,' said Kwapis [the director], who's hoping to shoot both back-to-back next summer. 'The characters go in unexpected directions, and I would hate to think of them going there without me.'"
Old 06-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Master Fan

aww, thanks for bringing that over Katie! Im glad to hear that the girls have all signed for the sequels. I would hate for only one of them to make it to the big screen since the books all go together.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Fan

ilovetheshins I agree. Alexis is moving on from GG. She now mentions the heavy schedules and so forth.

Honestly, I think she said TSotTP as her favorite experience, due to the fact that that's where she met Amber. I truly believe that was the real reason behind that answer.

IMO, Alexis needs to be careful. She has chosen good projects so far, hopefully that will continue. And no matter how much Alexis wants to distance herself from GG, that show made her what she is today.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:36 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheshins
I thought it was interesting that she said Sisterhood was her favorite experience, whereas Amber said Joan. Lately, with her appearance in multiple interviews, it seems like Alexis does not care too much for Gilmore anymore, and really wants to get a move on her post-Gilmore career. Her job sounds like an obligation more than a continued choice.
I noticed that. Course from the way she describes the difference between a movie and tv show I'd be looking to ditch too. She also complained in another interview that she has to learn more dialogue with Gilmore than she would with any other show.

A movie might be a more relaxes environment where you get a similar (or potentially better) paycheck over a shorter span of time.

However a lot of actors prefer a television show because of it's stability and how it guarantees you work. It also constantly puts your face "out there" and helps get you consideration for movie roles.

I think part of the difference in attitudes is the different life experiences the two actresses had. Amber wanted to be an actress early, became a child star in the soap General Hospital and was out in the cold when her part ended. After that she did guest spots (getting killed off on Buffy and the Twilight Zone) and one short movie role (getting killed off in The Ring).

Joan of Aradia took her out of the desert and gave her a career again. It also is a different type of show than Gilmore Girls. The experiences (except perhaps talking to God himself) are a lot more relatable and there is more room for the actors to act and express themselves. GG except for occasional "dramatic" episodes avoids reality.

Amber also had "peers" in her cast. Other than her love interests Alexis had much older guest stars playing her friends. And ASP runs a very tight ship, probably far tigher than Sisterhood where the director welcomed their input. This is understandable given ASP's previous experience in Roseanne where the results of the inmates running the asylum was truly catastrophic.

Also Gilmore Girls has gone on for a number of years now and Alexis has yet to experience too many other roles and is itching to move on. But the problem of course is David Caruso syndrome. Will those quality roles you'd rather be doing be there once you're no longer on the show?

Which is why I hope Alexis gets some roles under her belt that are more adult and grittier than the proposed Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants sequels. Right now it is still uncertain whether ti'll be just Olsen Twin movies and Lifetime movies at the end of the tunnel. Sad reality is that "teen" actresses are very disposable and there is always a new crop that'll work cheap coming up.
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself
Old 06-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Amber wanted to be an actress early, became a child star in the soap General Hospital and was out in the cold when her part ended.
Amber's character on GH did not "end." She left the show and was replaced. It was a concious choice.

I think that there is more prestige in acting in movies, especially good movies, than in television. Of course the quality of the movie or television show also makes a difference.

Hasn't Alexis been quoted as saying that acting was never high on her list of things to do in life? Didn't she go to NYU as a film major intending to work on the other side of the camera?

GG can be grueling and ASP is supposedly not the easiest person to work for, so I would think that any of the actors that have been on the show for a number of years would want to move on. I am thinking that the show will probably end after this season. I know that the actors have a 7 year contract, but ASP only received a one year contract and I cannot imagine this show without her at the helm.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Loyal Fan

Gosh Yall, i hope theres a seventh season ! alexis may not have intentionally become an actress but I truly believe she loves being one. ASP is a wonderful writer and i respect her, but working under anyone for over five years can get tough.

Jenley <3
icon credit: Linsxx3
Old 06-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Total Fan

I think that Alexis gets tired working 16 hours a day for 5 days a week !!! For SoTP ,the filming scheldule was less hectic!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 04:50 PM
Loyal Fan

true, very true. but I'm gonna miss gg.

Jenley <3
icon credit: Linsxx3
Old 06-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanti70
Amber's character on GH did not "end." She left the show and was replaced. It was a concious choice.
And she did some cool stuff like being a background singer for Neil Young with her dad. But she did have a tough time getting back in. And probably appreciates a bit more how tough it can be to get anything that can potentially last. There is no guarantees that there is anything next.

Anyway certainly don't blame Alexis for wanting to move on. In fact I'm eager to see what else she can do. There is just a certain amount of risk. And I just hope she can establish herself well enough that she can get out there running and survive without the show pushing her image out there.

And I think she enjoys being an actor more than she necessarily says. She seemed to be a lot more positive on it as a career in recent articles. She was just finding GG a bit of a grind. She seems to have had a very positive experience with Sisterhood. I think she's realized while the hours and demands can be rough, it's a pretty good profession if you can find work.
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself
Old 06-07-2005, 04:30 AM
Master Fan

thanks for the link madelen!

aww i started to watch it and Alexis is so cute, goofing around. And yeah it must be old because Amber's hair is so long. But i cant wait to watch the rest (i got interupted).
Old 06-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Addicted Fan

Raja and everyone else, you make some very good points.
Being that Alexis was never looking for work, landing the role of Rory seemed like a great opportunity. However, who would have thought (surely not she) that GG would be so successful for so long? 16 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 5 years (and going) now is beyond taxing. Other shows that run for that long have been either 30-minute sitcoms - the schedule being much different, considering the ensemble cast practices and then shoots live one day a week - or 60-minute shows with no one or two central characters (Law and Order may be close, but not that close). Which means, Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel currently have had the toughest jobs in TV.

After "Tuck Everlasting," Alexis did mention how much slower-paced film were, but at that time, she had only done one season of GG. At the time of filming SotTP, she had completed her 4th season, so the freshness of constant work had probably all but worn off, especially after the rut that was that season. So yeah, I can definitely see why she wants to move on. Her mentality now is probably similar to when she was modeling in high school, "I have enough jobs to keep me going, so why do I have to stick with the unpleasant ones?"

You are right, teen actresses are disposable, especially those who come from TV or do not have serious acting clout. Alexis has definitely improved as an actress, but jumping permanently to the big screen, which seems like a move she is calculating methodically (good for her, she seems to have a delineated idea of who she is, what she wants), can or cannot be easy. If she wants to have jobs, I don't think she'll have a problem. If she wants to be perceived as a reputable actress, that will be rather difficult in the sea of A-list super-talents. (Near her age: Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman, Keira Knightley, Evan Rachel Wood, Alison Lohman, etc.)

I hope she does really well, but she just needs to be careful to market herself as open to potential filmmakers, yet at the same time, inserting a PC-plug for Gilmore Girls. Naomi Watts has done an excellent job of this. Also very grounded, the poor woman had a slew of horrendous roles (Tank Girl, Children of the Corn IV, etc.) before Mulholland Drive. But since then, all the films have been ones that she's wanted - quality, quirky, challenging, creative. You know she's not reverting to any drivel. Unlike some more pretentious Hollywood actresses (*cough* post-Oscar Charlize Theron *cough*) who boldly declare, "I will never sign on to a bad movie ever again," Naomi simply lets her work do the talking, and takes every opportunity to thank David Lynch for casting her in Mulholland Drive. In the same way, if I were to compare bad films to TV (which isn't true, but it's a parallel), Alexis should continue to pick projects that truly interest her, let people see that work, but mention how GG has opened so many doors and taught her so much. Not saying Alexis doesn't do this now, she does, but I really think it's the way to go without burning your bridges or your roots.

Last edited by ilovetheshins; 06-07-2005 at 10:14 AM