Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Elite Fan

Opinion question for moderators :)

I was just curious. How do you guys feel about a poster correcting a new poster on your board? For example, if someone new to FF posts something but they didn't realize that the forum already had that topic thread, how do mods feel if a regular poster on that board (but not a mod) corrects the new poster and directs them to the existing thread?

When I was moderator on a different messageboard, I didn't mind. But I knew moderators that felt like their toes were being stepped on. I was just wondering about what you guys felt about it. Should correcting posts be left to the mods when they come to their boards, or you guys don't mind?
4N6 DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4N6 DNA (View Post)
When I was moderator on a different messageboard, I didn't mind. But I knew moderators that felt like their toes were being stepped on.

I think that you'll find the same thing here.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh, I don't really mind. Makes our job easier honestly. I usually just agree on what the old poster had said. No harm done. Though, it'll be different if that old poster had sound overly bossy and rude to the newbie.
HappySquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I agree with Gay. It's totally ok if the old poster doesn't do it in a bossy or rude way.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnicky (View Post)
Though, it'll be different if that old poster had sound overly bossy and rude to the newbie.
Yeah, I think it depends on how it was said. As long as it was diplomatic and gave the new poster the info needed, it doesn't bother me. Less work for me to do
girl in a cardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Elite Fan

I wouldn't really mind. Saves me the trouble in case I'm ran over with offline obligations. But if it's trying to settle conflicts with their own hands, then I think it's those kinds of things that are best left up to the mods.

But if it's correcting someone, as long as they explain it nice enough and not go hahahahaha at the new posters.
Lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Elite Fan

I don't mind, especially if it's during a time when I wasn't around. I think the way it's said does matter, too.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:58 PM
Elite Fan

What Gay said
Annie Jeff / Leslie Ben / Maria Michael / Pam Jim / Joey Pacey / Tyra Tim
jackiehydelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:10 AM
Master Fan

I agree with Gay; I would thank the poster for helping out the newbie or if they were to go about it in a rude or similar way I'd PM them mentioning it.

There are a couple of posters on my board who often will help out others who are not as familiar with the board/ in general and I find it very helpful .
-Louise- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:18 AM
Fan Forum Star

I agree with all of the above

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
heartღaflutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:58 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

I agree with everything stated above, as long as it's not done in rude way I'm fine with old posters helping out the newbies as well .
Old 10-25-2007, 09:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm not a moderator anymore. But to put in my two cents, I agree with what everyone else said. If people are nice and helpful, there are no problems with me.
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

I agree with the above. It's not really correcting them that would irritate me, but the way they correct them. The words and expressions they use that I would really look out for. I would find it helpful as well
Old 11-15-2007, 04:31 AM
Elite Fan

I honestly don't see a problem with it at all, if, like you guys said, it's done in a respectful and helpful manner. I'v actually redirected poster's, before I became a Mod. .............. It was very respectful though. I Promise... and it wasn't meant to boss them, but really to give them a head's up.
"pacey I love you, you know that and it's very real." ~ Joey to Pacey 6x24 (dawson's creek)
***BLONDIE*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I don't mind at all, as long as it's done nicely and it doesn't feel like the poster who's making the correction has more authority than the poster who made the mistake