Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2016, 01:26 AM
Elite Fan

Message Board Customization Process and Graphics Team Information Thread

Hi everyone,

In this thread you can find out what the Graphics Team is about, the process we go through to customise each message board, and how you can apply if you wish to join the team. We hope that it will answer some of the questions you may have. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask them in this thread or PM one of the Graphics Team Managers.

For a list of all Graphics Team Members, see the Forum Leaders page.

WHAT WE DO
When possible we all work to design graphics for four boards. Each member of the team makes a graphic for at least two of those boards. Sometimes some of us are too busy with work or school or have other things going on so we are not able to make graphics for each round. Hence, some rounds last longer than the two weeks we set for each round.

When each board is to be (re-)customised, we start a thread on that board asking for colour and picture suggestions so that the posters on that board can let the Graphics Team know what they would like to see. These are only suggestions though; so do not expect the Graphics Team to make exactly what you say.

When enough graphics have been made (usually around 5 or more for each board), we put all of them into polls and then vote for a week anonymously for which ones we feel are the best.

After the four graphics for the four boards are chosen, the colours are put together by Mel and Leif based on the chosen graphic and wishes of the boards. This process is time consuming and can take quite a bit of time. When it is decided that the design looks good enough, the customisation is set up on the actual board. Sometimes the graphic that the team has chosen does not look right for the board, so the runner-up graphic has to be used. When putting together the customisations Mel and Leif follow the list outlined at the end of this post. Ideally the boards will be done in order, however some boards are simply more difficult to do than others so it is just a guideline.

BOARDS UP FOR CUSTOMISATION
All of the message boards here at Fan Forum will eventually have their own graphic and colours; all of the boards that need a new look will be re-done. Some boards take longer than others because we can get delayed at any stage in the process; we want the best look that we can achieve.

One of the main questions that is asked is "when will *insert board name here* be customised/re-customised?" and the answer to that is "as soon as possible", but we cannot give you an exact date. The boards chosen first are the boards that we feel will most benefit from being customised. When picking the boards to be customised, we consider a number of things including:

- Whether the number of posts on the board is low and therefore customising it could give it a boost.
- Whether the number of posts is high and therefore it deserves to be customised as many people view it every day.
- How long a board has been without a customisation.
- Whether the graphic it already has needs refreshing.

It is a myth that a board will be customised after a year of it being at Fan Forum, we do not even hold that into consideration. So do not expect that just because a board reaches its one year mark it will immediately be customised.

We can assure you all that we have a list of every single board that does not have a customisation yet and of every board that needs re-doing, so do not worry that your favourite boards might not be on the customisation radar. They are on the list and will not be forgotten.

If you feel that your board could use a refreshed look feel free to PM Chelle and we will take it into consideration. When sending your PM please take the above points into consideration and inform us why you feel your board could use a refreshed look. Chelle will then discuss this with the other Graphics Team Managers and we will get back to you with our decision. Even if we decide to not recustomise your board at this stage we will make a note of your request to look at again at a later date.

THE GRAPHICS TEAM MANAGERS
running wild (Mel)
Member since: January 23rd 2013 | Manager since: August 21st 2014
Mel is the manager in charge of doing the actual customisations, meaning she's in contact with Leif to discuss and put up the board customisations. This means that when you find there's a problem with one of the customisations or you have a question about when they'll be put up, Mel is the person to contact. Mel also handles all Graphics Team applications which means that if you have any questions about joining the team or wish to join she is the person to contact.

If you have general questions about the Graphics Team, it's also best to contact Mel about these things.

calling me home (Chelle)
Chelle is the manager who is in charge of determining which board needs to be recustomised. She maintains the lists which assist in determining which boards need to be (re)done; including a list of all new boards which have not been customised yet, and a list of when all current customisations were put up. She is the contact person for any moderators who feel their board could use a refreshed look or have any questions about the customisation process or when their board is likely to be up for (re)customisation.

sweet creature (Catia)
Catia is the person in charge of all current customizations, meaning the ones that the Graphics Team is working on at that moment. If your board is getting customized and you have some concerns/questions, feel free to contact her about this. She can also give you more information about the process (if you wish extra info other than the information given in this thread).
JOINING THE GRAPHICS TEAM
The process for joining the graphics team is not hard at all. You do not have to wait for an opening to be posted anywhere, we will accept applicants all the time. Ideally we would like to see two graphics from you; one celebrity and one television show. For those unsure if they are ready to apply yet feel free to stop by the Graphics Team Mentoring thread on the Fan Art board where you can receive tips and advice from current graphics team members. You can also read Jen's tips (Live Journal) and Mel's tips for some advice on how to make them.

If you feel that you would like to be a part of the Graphics Team please send Mel a PM with your two graphics.

We hope that we have answered your questions, if you have any others or if you think of something that could be added to this post, please let one of the graphics team managers know.

Mel, Catia and Chelle
Please note that although we aim to do row 1 before row 2 and row 2 before row 3, it doesn't always work out that way, some boards are simply more difficult to do than others. Each row is in a random order so any board in a row could be the first and any board could be the last. Basically this list is just a guideline.
  1. Tyler Hoechlin, The O.C., Lauren Graham
  2. Eliza Taylor, Emilie de Ravin, Nina Dobrev, Patrick Dempsey
  3. A Series of Unfortunate Events, Hawaii Five-O, Ian Somerhalder, Sci-fi/Fantasy
  4. Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Veronica Mars, Paul Wesley, Movies
  5. Riverdale, Josh Holloway, Off Topic, Hilarie Burton
  6. The Crown, The Borgias, Bryan Greenberg, Rupert Grint
  7. Iron Fist, Castle, Jennifer Aniston
  8. Hart of Dixie, Troian Bellisario
  9. American Gods, Comics & Cartoons, Josh Hutcherson
  10. Wentworth Miller, Fringe, Buffy and Angel
  11. 13 Reasons Why, Sports, Joseph Gordon-Levitt
  12. The Handmaid's Tale, Jennifer Lawrence, Joseph Morgan
Note: This thread should be restarted by a Graphics Team Manager. Thank you.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:30 AM
Master Fan

Tftnt

EdwardღBella l RonღHermione l SpikeღBuffy l BrandonღKelly l DylanღBrenda l
Old 03-01-2016, 04:20 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the new thread!
Old 03-01-2016, 05:44 AM
Fan Forum Star

Tftnt
Old 03-01-2016, 01:03 PM
Fan Forum Legend

TFTNT!

Re: boards getting done in 5-6 months. Maybe it was from the beginning of the month to the end of the other, and it looked like it was 4 months but it was actually 5. Well, it doesn't matter, like I said I know it happens when it happens.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:37 PM
Moderator Manager

TFTNT Rae!

Witness the magical sprouting of the Purple Acorns
As hopes turn into reality

Old 03-04-2016, 05:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the new thread Rae!
Old 03-10-2016, 06:37 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Moderator of ...
Graphics Team

The following boards were customized: Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Girl Meets World, Adam Lambert, Ashley Tisdale, Emily Bett Rickards, David Cook, That '70s Show and X-Men.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:54 AM
Moderator Support Team

they all look amazing
icon by
Old 03-10-2016, 07:00 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by running wild (View Post)
The following boards were customized: Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Girl Meets World, Adam Lambert, Ashley Tisdale, Emily Bett Rickards, David Cook, That '70s Show and X-Men.
Thank you! They all look wonderful
Old 03-10-2016, 08:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks Mel!
Old 03-10-2016, 09:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the update! The new graphics look amazing!
Old 03-10-2016, 12:35 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Thanks for letting us know! Off to check them out now.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:36 PM
Moderator Manager

They all look great! Amazing job GT!

Witness the magical sprouting of the Purple Acorns
As hopes turn into reality

Old 03-18-2016, 08:02 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Moderator of ...
Graphics Team

The following boards were customized: The Flash, Outlander, Stephen Amell, Bethany Joy, How to Get Away with Murder, Red Band Society, Chris Hemsworth and Kelly Clarkson.