Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2017, 05:57 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Our ice storm never materialized. I'm not complaining.

Lindsay - occasionally it snows so much that the snowplows can't keep up with it. So the roads become impassable, cars get stuck, people abandon their cars to go find shelter, then the plows can't do their job because there are cars blocking the roads. Not to mention accidents happening, then emergency personnel are also put in danger. So they ask people to stay home and off the roads until they can deal with it. Whether or not you get paid for the missed day of work is up to your contract. When I was working at McD's, I never got paid, but hubby usually gets 1 or 2 days a year as inclement weather days.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:28 PM
Moderator Manager

Leanne, that's great if you get paid for missing work because of snow. That must be really terrible if they have to declare it a snow day.

Chris, thanks for explaining. We don't have that here, even if there's a freaking typhoon. Work will still go on as usual but we have the option to use our emergency leave in the event of a strong typhoon. Typically I don't use it because it's convertible to cash but it can't be avoided so I use up all of it (3 leaves per year). The last time I went to work during a Cat 4 storm, I got stuck on the road and wasn't able to come home and spent the rest of the day at the mall waiting out the storm to pass. And even I can't go home because the streets are flooded everywhere. They should have cancelled work that day but they didn't and when work finally got cancelled I was already on the road.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:21 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Winter storms can get pretty nasty. I'm surprised that they wouldn't do something similar in a typhoon.

How is everybody today?
Old 02-09-2017, 06:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

More snow today...
Old 02-09-2017, 07:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh wow! We had a system come through again last night, but I fully expected I'd be driving to work today but I just checked and they closed again! snow day!!! (Third day this week off!)

Actually this is good because I'm feeling kind of sickness in my stomach all night, hope it goes away eventually But now that I can just stay in bed, it's a relief!

So.. also here too!
Old 02-09-2017, 08:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm just so cold! I want to get in bed with my heat blanket and catch up on the book I'm reading!
Old 02-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Moderator Manager

Sending you all a lot of sunshine. We have a lot of it.

Friday! OMG. I'm going out and drinking, I'm in the mood for it today.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

I need to join you. But I am not a drinker. However, we just found out our program (that I teach) will go through major changes next year. And it is stressing me because there is so much uncertainty about everything. We'll learn more within the next 3 months before the school year ends about these changes but it's nerve-racking as it is so last minute.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:37 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Have one for me Lindsay.

Leanne - sounds like you've still got nasty weather out there. Did you get another snow day?

Millie - stay warm!

Cece - hopefully you'll get enough information about the changes to properly adjust your teaching plan. Around here special education funding always seems to be on the chopping block.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:38 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Have one for me Lindsay.

Leanne - sounds like you've still got nasty weather out there. Did you get another snow day?

Millie - stay warm!

Cece - hopefully you'll get enough information about the changes to properly adjust your teaching plan. Around here special education funding always seems to be on the chopping block.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:37 PM
Elite Fan

So I have had a really weird day. I had a meeting this morning and as I was on my way there, I witnessed a rollover accident. The truck in front of me was T-boned by a construction vehicle hauling a trailer that had run a red light. (I know for sure the light was green for us). It was at an underpass, and the truck rolled a couple times and then stopped on the other side of the cement barrier. I was the very next car and amazing not only did I not get hit, but none of the flying debris hit my car either. It was very scary, but luckily I was able to witness both people exit their vehicles so I know there were no serious injuries. Honestly, if it had been anything other than a massive 4x4 truck that was hit they would have been crushed between the truck that ran the light and the cement barrier. Scary stuff...and then facebook reminded me that today is the anniversary of a friend's death. She was a poster that I became friends with through the site. She passed away 2 years ago...I wish it was MY Friday...I'd really like to just go home and stare at the tv...
Old 02-10-2017, 08:19 PM
Moderator Manager

Cece,, we have someone who comes with us to drink but doesn't drink so we make her order a non-alcoholic beverage instead.

Chris, sure! I haven't been drinking since New Years Eve.

Rae, that is scary. Good to know no one was seriously hurt. Sorry about your FF friend.

Going to dinner tonight and have a pre-Valentines dinner. It's just dinner really but everyone's going out for Valentines so I'm just going with the flow.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:19 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks! Crazy addendum to my story though: I wrote about the accident of fb and a friend of mine replied saying she was in the car right next to me. She said she knew what was going to happen so she closed her eyes and then when she looked over at the truck she saw me. How insane is that!? Truth really can be stranger than fiction.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Nothing in here works anymore, nothing. I'm tired of waiting 20 seconds to process a click, and now my screen is automatically staying locked to the top of the board. Only this website. I am not happy at all!
Old 02-11-2017, 08:18 PM
Moderator Manager

Rae, OMG that is insane.

Firecrest, I have addressed this issue on the FF Questions, Problems & Tech thread topped on this board.

This weekend did not turn out the way I wanted it to.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread