Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-30-2004, 04:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

oh yes, it does make sense. With DH, we still don't know everyone's back stories, and its taking forever for them to reveal anything.

With SATC, right away you could tell where the girls were in their lives and pretty much how they were.

Watch life unexpected and glee.
icon by jess
Old 11-30-2004, 08:04 PM
Elite Fan

Exactly. Although I love DH and the mysteries surrounding whatever the heck is going on. SaTC was so much more relatable which is why I like it much more than DH - although I don't know if any show (other than Friends) will affect me in the way these two have.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:33 AM
Master Fan

I don't watch DH, I'm not sure why I just didn't start watching it. But the article was an interesting read, thanks for that. I heard one of the girls from DH say somewhere that it was like Sex and the Suburbs or something like that.

SATC
Old 12-03-2004, 01:55 PM
Absolute Fan

i think it really, really wants to be sex and the city...desperate housewives is a little too soap opera-like to me, though. something i love about sex and the city is how in your face it is. to me, dh wants to be, but it tries too hard to stay cute.

sex and the suburbs is a good name.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Master Fan

Heres an article that makes it sound like the two were supposed to be alike. Wonder if HBO is kicking themselves for not picking it up?

Quote:
If the show sounds suspiciously like a married with children version of Sex and the City, that is the whole idea.

“I was trying to do it as a companion to Sex and the City, and I wanted it to be a half-hour show, but I put too much plot in, so by the time I introduced the first four characters, I was already into page 15. Sex and the City scripts were about 30 pages. So, I just made (my show) an hour long.”

In any case, HBO, the home of Sex and the City, told Cherry that Desperate Housewives was not gritty enough for them. Cherry, in turn, did not want to make it grittier.

full article

SATC
Old 07-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Elite Fan

The only similarity I see is between Charlotte & Bree and Miranda & Lynette. The whole Susan/Stanford & other stuff is funny but overstreaching.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Total Fan

I just watched my first episode last night and I don't really think the show is that much like SATC.

I definitely don't think Gabrielle is like Carrie but I can kind of see some of the other comparisons. I thought the Susan/Stanford one was hilarious.
You are my signal fire.
The only resolution and the only joy,
Is the faint spark of forgiveness in your eyes.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Master Fan

Well, I've only watched one episode of DH and that was back when it first came out. And, I didn't get a SATC vibe from it. But, I could def see a similarity between Charlotte and Bree.

SATC
Old 07-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Elite Fan

I thought I would ... but other then the show centering around 4 women, I don't see the similarities. They, to me, are two completely different shows.

kenny | credit
Old 07-14-2005, 02:06 AM
Loyal Fan

Eh, not really. DH is not as sex-oriented, compared to SatC.

The show SatC had the most in common with is The Golden Girls, which, ironically, was produced by Marc Cherry, who created DH.

Do you like the way I rock it?
Boy, I think it's so chaotic
Old 07-14-2005, 04:50 AM
Master Fan

Now I've never heard at SATC and Golden Girls comparisson, but I guess the friendships are kinda parallel.

SATC
Old 03-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Extreme Fan

I don't think that Desperate Housewives is the new Sex and the City because nothing is comparable with the best serious ever!
Old 03-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy18.05 (View Post)
I don't think that Desperate Housewives is the new Sex and the City because nothing is comparable with the best serious ever!

I agree...Not even Cashmere Mafia and Lipstick Jungle by a very long shot.

I for one cannot stand Desperate Housewives.

My Name is Bernie and I cheer for Team Carrie and Big
Old 03-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Elite Fan

I don't think DH has nearly as much heart as SATC does The bond between the girl was a huge factor of the show and was always there. On DH they just have drama. And I think SATC is so relatable. And Carrie is the main area of the show while DH doesn't have a main character.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Extreme Fan

I totaly agree with you!
Furthermore DH has some good episodes and some not that good and the ones from SATC are all great!