Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-07-2006, 06:03 AM
Master Fan

Carrie's column: Later that day I got to thinking about...

Carrie's articles are usually a theme for each episode so i thought we could give our opinions on some of the topics she covers

Later that day I got to thinking about fairy tales. What if Prince Charming had never shown up? Would Snow White have laid in that glass box forever? Or would she have gotten up, spit out the apple, gotten a job and a health care plan and moved on with her life?

or as charlotte puts it does every woman just want to be saved?

Thoughts anyone?

Old 11-07-2006, 06:34 AM
Master Fan

aw i've always thought Carries colums where really cool, and i love the one you chose. It always sends out a good message and this one says dont wait for someone to come save you, got out their and save yourself. So cool.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Master Fan

I love that quote from her column. As far as what women want.. I think it depends on the woman, just like the 4 characters in SATC. Some women are waiting to be saved or rescued IE: Char. But, others are more self sufficent like Sam or Miranda. Personally, for me.. I'd probably wait a long while for Prince Charming, but eventually I'd get over it and become comfortable on my own, if he never came.

SATC
Old 11-10-2006, 04:55 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for the response Michelle and grace

ITA Carrie's always had something interesting to say in her column

Quote:
As far as what women want.. I think it depends on the woman, just like the 4 characters in SATC. Some women are waiting to be saved or rescued IE: Char. But, others are more self sufficent like Sam or Miranda. Personally, for me.. I'd probably wait a long while for Prince Charming, but eventually I'd get over it and become comfortable on my own, if he never came.
I totally agree I think that most women have the idea of 'prince charming' coming along but aren't afraid of being alone if he doesn't come

Old 11-15-2006, 07:37 AM
Addicted Fan

I think a lot of women are like Charlotte, desperately wanting for their prince to arrive. But I think many women are evolving and becoming more independent. They are going to do what they have to and if he does come along, fabulous, and if not they'll be okay. I think it really comes down to patience and being confident and loving yourself.

#34 OBSESSED JB FAN

Come and see why we are so fabulous!
My space
Old 11-15-2006, 08:14 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I think it really comes down to patience and being confident and loving yourself.
Very true Danielle and I think that is what Carrie meant at the end of the last episode that the most important relationship is the one you have with yourself. I think that to ever be able to function in a long lasting relationship with someone you need to know how to survive as a person alone

Another one of Carrie's column topics- "I couldn't help but wonder...are we romance intolerant?"

Are women so unused to romance that they don't know how to respond to it like Carrie with russian? Can we not deal with grand gestures of romance? Thoughts anyone?

Old 11-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Master Fan

Emily: What a great topic for a thread!!

Re: Prince Charming
I do think that there are women out there who believe that their life is not complete unless they are in a relationship. They spend their days and nights searching for Mr. Right and possibly conforming to meet the expectations of Mr. Right. On the flip side, there are women out there who are content with being single and if they meet someone great, and if they don't, than that's okay too. Fortunately, I'm happy with being single and am not spending all my time out there searching for Mr. Right, who may simply not exist.

Re: Romance Intolerant?
I do think that the grand, romantic gestures are a thing of the past. Or, perhaps I'm just not meeting the men who make them. I know that my all-time favorite TV show is Ed and Edward J. Stevens is known for his grand, romantic gestures that he did for Carol and I just found them to be incredibly romantic and swoon worthy. I think that many women don't know how to deal with romantic gestures like that because they just don't happen often enough. Too often, guys are romantic at the beginning of a relationship becausefor they want to make a good impression. Once they catch you, the romantic gestures become non-existant. When I think of the gestures the Russion did for Carrie, those weren't exactly romantic gestures that I would necessarily want done for me. Because of that, I think my reaction to them would be different than say the ones that Ed did for Carol on Ed. I think that the gestures need to be geared towards the individual and who they are as a person for them to be considered romantic.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:17 AM
Master Fan

Thanks Nicole!

Quote:
I do think that the grand, romantic gestures are a thing of the past. Or, perhaps I'm just not meeting the men who make them.
I'd have to agree with you, I think the only romance nowadays is the expected type like on holidays and anniversarys and those few first dates when the guy feels as though he needs to make that effort Yeah where are those men??

Quote:
I think that the gestures need to be geared towards the individual and who they are as a person for them to be considered romantic
Too true!! I think it is more romantic if the gesture was more individual, it would hold alot more meaning!

Old 12-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Master Fan

I hate that guys only make an effort to be romatic at the beginning of the relationship because they want to make it look good and get you interested. They should be romantic throughout the relationship. That doesn't mean every day or every week, but every now and then, it would be nice to be swept off of our feet.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Master Fan

Most definetly, we would love to be swept off our feet every now and then. And it doesn't have to be too grand of jesture. My husband brought me flowers home the other day for no reason, that was very romantic. But, I do think the Russian went over the top with laying on the romance so thick that Carrie 'fainted.'

SATC
Old 12-06-2006, 06:41 AM
Passionate Fan

I think romance has to be something unplanned..Like bringing home flowers for your wife, for no real reason, other than love...Or going on a trip, impulsively..Or cooking a nice meal..A woman wants to be surprised now and then.
Relax! Take it easy...
Old 02-07-2007, 03:53 AM
Master Fan

Haven't brought up a new topic in a while!

OKay one that comes to mind-

- Do men enjoy powerful women or are they just acting?

Do men care if the woman in the relationship earns more money? is more successful? has a better job?? Or are they okay with women being more successful because in todays world they are beyond the idea that men are the breadwinner in the relationship? Or are they pretending they are okay with it and it is infact a blow to their ego?

Old 02-09-2007, 08:04 AM
Elite Fan

Interesting topic

I think that it really depend on the men and how they were raised

I would hate to miss another boat
Old 02-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Master Fan

wow...great thread

I really think that most do not...I honestly think that they tend to feel somewhat threatened when they are not the one with the job that makes the most money in a relationship because that is what was expected for so long socially speaking. When women are powerful, most of the time it's because they are strong minded and speak what's on their mind, and many people call her the oh so nice 'b' word that rhymes with 'witch' or other worse words (usually led by men who do not want a woman telling them what to do), but if a man is powerful, they are 'good leaders' and the like.

however, like Jess said, some men were raised in a family with a strong mother and are not like this, obviously I'm not saying that all men feel this way, just my experience in the small scope of the work force I've been in along with school and softball with my male and female coaches.

sorry it's so long
Old 02-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Elite Fan

Never apologise about long posts I love those

I agree with you I think that most of the time men feel threatened by powerful women, but it's mostly because of our society, they were kinda taught to think that way

I would hate to miss another boat