Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-22-2004, 07:39 AM
Master Fan

Neighbours discussion: 'Cause gossiping about Nina's neighbours is a guilty pleasure!

Evie and I thought that since the Nina Tucker Appreciation Thread has generated a fair bit of gossip about Neighbours storylines and characters, we could use a thread to discuss the show.

To familiarise our international Delta fans with the show, here's some background info you might be interested in reading:

Neighbours, Network TEN’s popular weekday series and one of the most successful series dramas ever, is currently in its 20th year of production.

This multi-award winning series, produced by the Grundy Organisation, has set a precedent across the world, making television history.

When Network TEN bought the rights to screen Neighbours after the Seven Network canceled the series in 1985, it sent shockwaves throughout the industry. It was the first time a commercial network had re-commissioned an Australian production after its cancellation by another network.

Since Neighbours went to air on Network TEN in January 1986, the show has gone from strength to strength and is now the longest running series on Australian television.

Neighbours created television history as the first Australian television production to be programmed twice daily, five days a week, by the prestigious BBC.

Neighbours today remains the only Australian series to have its entire cast flown to London to appear before the Queen in a Royal Command Performance.

Taken from the Network Ten website.

The cast:

Lyn Scully (Janet Andrewarther) with Joe Scully (Shane Connor)

Sky Mangel (Stephanie McIntosh)

Lilijana Bishop (Marcella Russo)

Serena Bishop (Lara Sacher)

David Bishop (Kevin Harrington)

Boyd Hoyland (Kyal Marsh)

Summer Hoyland (Marisa Siketa)

Stephanie Scully (Carla Bonner)

Max Hoyland (Stephen Lovett)

Karl Kennedy (Alan Fletcher)

Susan Kennedy (Jackie Woodburne)

Jack Scully (Jay Bunyan)

Nina Tucker (Delta Goodrem)

Lou Carpenter (Tom Oliver)

Harold Bishop (Ian Smith)

Isabelle (Izzy) Hoyland (Natalie Basingthwaighte)

Jared (Toadie) Rebecchi (Ryan Moloney)

Connor O'Neill (Patrick Harvey)

Stuart Parker (Blair McDonough)

Libby Kennedy (Kym Valentine)

So who are your favourite Neighbours, and which ones bug the heck out of you? Love triangles and bizzare relationship breakups and hookups were hot topics on the Nina thread...

i believe in miracles born from love in everyone
icon by *Evie

Last edited by *OvErPrOtEcTeD*; 08-22-2004 at 02:59 PM
Old 08-22-2004, 07:59 AM
Absolute Fan

i can't stop watching neighbours, im so into it at the moment!

Quote:
Originally posted by *OvErPrOtEcTeD*
So who are your favourite Neighbours, and which ones bug the heck out of you? Love triangles and bizzare relationship breakups and hookups were hot topics on the Nina thread...
my fave is stu even through the whole cult thing i still loved him....i'm not actually sure why but i do-
Old 08-22-2004, 10:54 AM
Master Fan

NEIGHBOURS ROCKS!!!!!! Love it!

"My heart is a museum filled with pictures of you."
♥ {Cory & Lea} ♥

haydensgirl: Jess
Old 08-22-2004, 11:59 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ~Jules~
i can't stop watching neighbours, im so into it at the moment!

my fave is stu even through the whole cult thing i still loved him....i'm not actually sure why but i do-
I have some weeks where I'm not as into it, but it's getting quite juicy again with Darcy's return and iminent Karl/Izzy shake up. Jack's really annoying me atm. He's become an arrogant dimwit, for lack of a better word.

My favourite characters would have to be:

Karl - Despite his inability to get over his perpetual mid-life crisis, the doc is lovable. I've always enjoyed how he and Susan would banter in typical married-couple mode back in the good ol' days. I'm a total Karl/Susan shipper, and am eagerly anticipating them coming to their senses and getting back together. If those subtle awkard moments of reminiscing and longing are a sign of hope, they'll be tearing up the divorce papers (again) in no time.

Steph - Poor ol' Steph's been through a lot. You've got to admire her resilience. Though I've never admired her terrible taste in men. I loved hers and Max's wedding last month.

Harold - What needs to be said, except he rocks. He gave a kidney to Lou, donned a wig to promote the Coffee Shop as "Afro Harold", had a stroke which turned him into a disgruntled bogan with a taste for Christina Aguilera, grog, steak, and strippers, and transformed back into his cheek wobbling, vegetarian fuddy duddy self as if it never happened.

Stu and the cult thing. He's grown on me since then too.

icon by *Evie
Old 08-22-2004, 08:22 PM
Elite Fan

My favourites (other than Nina, obviously! ) are Steph, Libby and probably Connor. And Toadie! I love Toadie too. I don't really love to hate Izzy ... I just hate her! *g* I like how much her character stirs things up, but to be honest I just wish she'd leave and stay gone.

I don't like Tom, either. I know he's left (leaving?) in Australia, but over here he's right in the middle of the Tom/Susan thing, and I just. don't. like him.

He has one of those beardy things that I don't like and I'm a Karl/Susan fan, too, so no, no Tom for me!

As for other couples ... I like Toadie/Sindi even though I loved Toadie/Dee. (I cried when Dee died [I was actually sad enough to download that ep *g*] and also when they showed the ep where he took down the him/Dee pics and took off his wedding ring here recently). And I love Max/Steph too, it's cute

Oh! And I love Scott! He's a total breath of fresh air to the show, and I love him like I loved Tad
Old 08-23-2004, 12:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Gotta love Neighbours. I've devoted a lot of time to this show

Karl had long been a favourite but right now I cannot stand him. I was a huge Karl/Susan shipper - I loved their banter and how funny they were together and I'm still pissed off that they've been spilt up so many times. Now though I'm sick of Karl.

Libby is my favourite character. I love her, especially since her latest return, and i really like her and Susan's relationship at the moment.

I'm loving the Susan/Tom thing (in the UK he's just told her he's in love with her) but well...I guess eventually I do want Karl and Susan to get back together - as long as Karl gets is old personality back.

I want to slap Izzy, she's so irritating. A great character though! Not really liking the Bishops - well David, Lil and Serena, Scott's starting to piss me off...and I'm not really all that bothered about Toadie and Sindi. Jack is such a w*nker. That's all that needs to be said about him

My all time favourite couple would have to be....Brad and Beth. I loved them, along with Zack and Kelly from Saved By The Bell they were my first ship

Kat | icon |
Old 08-23-2004, 02:12 PM
Master Fan

I guess I love to hate Izzy too, Dana.

Quote:
Originally posted by *~*Rach*~*

He has one of those beardy things that I don't like and I'm a Karl/Susan fan, too, so no, no Tom for me!

As for other couples ... I like Toadie/Sindi even though I loved Toadie/Dee. (I cried when Dee died [I was actually sad enough to download that ep *g*] and also when they showed the ep where he took down the him/Dee pics and took off his wedding ring here recently). And I love Max/Steph too, it's cute

Oh! And I love Scott! He's a total breath of fresh air to the show, and I love him like I loved Tad.
I think Stu may have gotten rid of his beardy thing now, which is a relief! Yay. Karl/Susan all the way.

I like Toadie and Sindi too. Is anyone else weirded out by the fact that both Sindi and Dee are almost exactly alike in voice, and mannerism? I wonder if it's a co-incidence, or a case of the casting crew selecting Toadie's new gf as an obvious replica of Dee.
As much as I do like Marisa Warrington, I miss Madeleine West on the show.

Aww, that's sweet that you d/ld the Toadie/Dee marriage ep, Rach! It was so sad. I cried too.

Yes, I do like Scott. He's hilarious. He very much reminds me of Tad too. Wait till you see what he's like when he goes on medication for his ADD!

Quote:
Originally posted by -Kat-

Karl had long been a favourite but right now I cannot stand him. I was a huge Karl/Susan shipper - I loved their banter and how funny they were together and I'm still pissed off that they've been spilt up so many times. Now though I'm sick of Karl.

Libby is my favourite character. I love her, especially since her latest return, and i really like her and Susan's relationship at the moment.

Not really liking the Bishops - well David, Lil and Serena, Scott's starting to piss me off...

My all time favourite couple would have to be....Brad and Beth. I loved them, along with Zack and Kelly from Saved By The Bell they were my first ship
I agree, Kat. It's so frustrating how Karl keeps getting himself into hot water over affairs with young women every few months, and how he and Susan keep having marital probs that they supposedly get past, but have to deal with again over and over.

Yes! Libby and Susan's relationship has been highly entertaining with Karl out of the picture. The way they get all excited about their favourite soap on that cable channel, and how Libby takes on the parental role of scolding Susan for behaving like a teenager when she's out with Tom.

The Bishops definitely get to me a fair bit too.

Aww, they were good couple. Natalie Imbruglia had really long hair back then! I loved Zack and Kelly too!

Did anyone piss themselves laughing at Harold's ramblings about velvet g-strings and lingerie tonight?

I think I'm missing a few characters in these opening credits. They're the newest I could find for now though, and as many pics as FF will allow in one post co-incidentally.

icon by *Evie

Last edited by *OvErPrOtEcTeD*; 08-24-2004 at 02:06 AM
Old 08-23-2004, 03:54 PM
Supreme Fan

Since I don't really watch neighbours, I just gotta say Jay is hot

Old 08-23-2004, 09:29 PM
Elite Fan

Does anyone else think Jay looks like Shane West (from A Walk To Remember)?

Quote:
I like Toadie and Sindi too. Is anyone else weirded out by the fact that both Sindi and Dee are almost exactly alike in voice, and mannerism? I wonder if it's a co-incidence, or a case of the casting crew selecting Toadie's new gf as an obvious replica of Dee.
As much as I do like Maris Warrington, I miss Madeleine West on the show.

Aww, that's sweet that you d/ld the Toadie/Dee marriage ep, Rach! It was so sad. I cried too.

Yes, I do like Scott. He's hilarious. He very much reminds me of Tad too. Wait till you see what he's like when he goes on medication for his ADD!
I miss Madeleine too. When I read that Marisa was going to be on the show for at least two years, I was dying, I didn't think I'd be able to stand her that long! But I really like the way they've gone with her character. She's much more likeable now. And I love the Sindi/Scott dynamic....almost as much as the Scott/David dynamic!

Quote:
Aww, they were good couple. Natalie Imbruglia had really long hair back then! I loved Zack and Kelly too!

Ahhhh people after my own heart! Yay Brad/Beth ... and YAY Zack/Kelly

I have a SbtB sticker book which I completed about a year ago I've had it since I was about six and just got around to sending off for the ones I needed recently!
Old 08-24-2004, 06:09 AM
Master Fan

Apparently, the Neighbours' outdoor shots are shot in a street new my school so when we went to the nearby shopping centre we saw Marcella Russo (Lilijana Bishop) and Kevin Harrington (David Bishop) having coffee at Gloria Jeans. Funny thing was that, they looked so skinny. Must be the five-pound-thing when you go on TV.

Not a big Neighbours fan but it's good to watch sometimes. Soaps are always good to watch for the juice.

"You don't scare me." ~ Charlie to Claire
Old 08-24-2004, 11:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I like Darcy [now]. He's interesting. I missed tonight's ep [just when it was getting juicy..well not so, as he was unconscious last I saw him, but you know..]

What happened with him? Did Susan think he stole the jewellery from Izzy/whoever owns jewellery?

I never got why they had Nina/Jack/Taj in the hot tub together for their opening scene..Despite their "friendship" it's a bit odd.

Jack/Jay needs to get his hair fixed up. I like the way Jay's going with his drug-user scenes..He's quite convincing!
Old 08-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *Evie
I like Darcy [now]. He's interesting. I missed tonight's ep [just when it was getting juicy..well not so, as he was unconscious last I saw him, but you know..]
Darcy isn't back over here yet ... so I still hate him I guess he might grow on me, but yep, not a Darcy fan! I don't really think that Mark is very good, but thats just me!

Neighbours isn't even ON here at the moment. It's been cancelled for the Olympics.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *~*Rach*~*
Does anyone else think Jay looks like Shane West (from A Walk To Remember)?

I miss Madeleine too. When I read that Marisa was going to be on the show for at least two years, I was dying, I didn't think I'd be able to stand her that long! But I really like the way they've gone with her character. She's much more likeable now. And I love the Sindi/Scott dynamic....almost as much as the Scott/David dynamic!
Yeah, he does a bit!

That was my reaction too. Marisa's definitely filled Madeleine's shoes better than I could have imagined. Oh yes, I love how Sindi tries to "mother" him. Scott/David and the mooning is hilarious. David's so offended by it, which makes it funnier.

Quote:
Originally posted by *Evie

What happened with him? Did Susan think he stole the jewellery from Izzy/whoever owns jewellery?

I never got why they had Nina/Jack/Taj in the hot tub together for their opening scene..Despite their "friendship" it's a bit odd.

Jack/Jay needs to get his hair fixed up. I like the way Jay's going with his drug-user scenes..He's quite convincing!
Me too. He's got that tendendcy to dabble in wrong-doings side to him, but he's earnest.

I got so fired up about what Izzy did to him tonight!

::: for the Brits ahead:::
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Izzy was arguing with Darcy when he tripped and knocked himself out. Then Izzy planted her jewellery on him, and ran home to mess up hers and Karl's place to make it look like Darcy had broken in and stolen the jewellery from her. Then she went to work as if nothing had happpened. Stu was contacted about the "robbery" and told Karl and Susan the story at the hospital. Now Darcy's in a coma, and they both think he callously robbed Izzy, and Susan's kicking herself for trusting him again.

On a brighter note - some nice cosy Karl/Susan moments while Karl comforted her at the hospital. Right up until Karl remembered he had to call Izzy, to "let her know about the robbery".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

about the hot tub thing, Eves. Threesome! Nah, it''s just a neighbourly thing.

I agree! I don't think his druggie scenes are that realistic actually. Maybe it's 'cause I dislike him so much atm, I can't judge his portayal objectively.

That's cool about the scenes being shot near your school, Rox, and seeing Marcella and Kevin having coffee. They shoot at my local shops sometimes too - the ones at the end of my street actually. I saw Madeleine West having a coffee there on my lunchbreak in Year 12 aswell. A group of us waved, and she waved back, but we didn't wanna hassle her, or draw attention while she was trying to relax.

icon by *Evie
Old 08-24-2004, 04:05 PM
Elite Fan

I might quite like coma!Darcy
Old 08-25-2004, 03:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow new Intro start

Thanks Kat