Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 06:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Predictable~ (View Post)
there were stories of people getting diagnosed because they'd recognised Delta's symptoms as their own.
I find that so inspiring.

It seemed so wrong to me that someone who lived such a clean lifestyle... she didn't drink, she didn't smoke, she didn't do drugs....

I'm sure for any cancer patient, an event - a party or something - would be something to look forward to, to aim towards being better to get there

The AYAT montage is so beautiful. I cannot even imagine what it must have been like to see that played to a concert hall full of Delta fans. The emotion of the moment must have been amazing.
Really? I can see how that would be the case though, as much as anyone [perhaps even Delta] doesn't want to admit it, she's very influential. Not in terms of fans wanting to have what she has, just more of an issue of her story being thrusted in everyones face, so much so that it becomes something that we fans would recognise *because* of that.

It was definitely a blow because sometimes you think things like that don't happen to famous people like her. It definitely grounded her to me even more so. She's just like any other person on the street. Anyone can get sick and [like she says many a time] be in worse condition than her. That's life for you.

I don't doubt she wouldn't have attended the event. It was a huge thing to get there and receive all the awards she so rightly deserved. Like you said, it was a reward..something to look forward to.

I can just imagine the sop that she would have had to endure if she didn't attend though..everyone would have said.."oh it's SUCH a shame Delta couldn't attend..", this would have been her night..", "poor Delta " this and that. If anything she probably wanted to avoid all that attention.

Oh it was amazing! It fell into the show at the right moment..It was chilling how quiet everyone was. It was a beautiful moment, you could have heard a pin drop.

Thanks for all the scans and articles, Kay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*bitterswt*~ (View Post)
And it's awful that there were rumors going around sugguesting that her diagnosis was false because she was making public appearances.

And secondly, it's obvious that she was very self-concious about going out in public and doing an appearance at such a huge event like the ARIAs
It just seems ridiculous to begin with. Saying you're sick when you're not for something minor..perhaps. But to fake cancer? Who would be stupid enough to resort to that for their own means. Pathetic.

Dudes. She was self-conscious at that lunch and it was just a bunch of fans who clearly adored her, no media, and she was gawky and spazzily nervous when there was no reason to be. If she was that way in private can you imagine how she'd have been in the public eye? She wouldn't put herself through that, and I'm sure her team wouldn't make her endure it either.

Quote:
I don't think I was around when you may have mentioned going to that lunch, Evie, but that sounds like it was a great fangirly experience.
Oh it WAS! I don't know what possessed me to attend, I rarely spoke to any of the forumers and no one ever said she was going to be there [this was the first ever forum gathering] yet I filled out my form and was happy to spend a day with these people. Anyway I, of course got there at about 15 minutes before it was due to end and was SO bummed/excited to see her there. [Bummed 'cos I was late..excited because well..DERR! DELTA!] Anyway, she was lovely to me as were the other forumers there.

I don't really remember what we spoke about but I know I spoke to her face to face [like she was about 10 cms away from me, it was crazy!] and she was beautiful.

Her dad totally couldn't spell my name..he was spelling out names to Delta so she could autograph posters.

Pictures removed.

Last edited by Evie; 08-15-2007 at 03:05 PM
Old 08-15-2007, 06:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

Those pictures are gorgeous, thank you for sharing them, Evie!

That lunch sounds amazing! ^_^
Old 08-15-2007, 06:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah it was! I don't remember much about the people I met or the measly details like food or whatever, all I remember is the loveliness of her just being so happy and bubbly despite the somber/depressing tone all the media outlets were taking on when talking about her at the time.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

Aw. I can imagine her being happy and friendly despite things.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Master Fan

Awww! Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing them with us Evie!! That sounds like it was a very memorable experience.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Totally was, even for the short time I was there.

Took the pics down as I was really only expecting you two to see them..now that you have..

If anyone else wants to see them just PM me or something.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Master Fan

We appreciate you sharing them with us! Those are the only pictures I've seen of that event posted online. It's pretty cool that she came out to that event, and aww - how she was "spazzily nervous"!

Did she ever come to a forum gathering after that?
Old 08-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Aw no problem, that's why I wanted to share them with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*bitterswt*~ (View Post)
aww - how she was "spazzily nervous"!

Did she ever come to a forum gathering after that?
I think it was just the excited to be there.

I think she went to one in the UK. This was when she had short, brown hair and they had the picnic in the park.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:28 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah I remember seeing pictures from the one when she had short hair.
It's so cool & sweet how she's turned up to them.
That's the only other one I can think of at the moment, I'm getting confused with times when forumers have met her (couuuntless times)/met up with her (e.g. the Starbucks day).
Old 08-17-2007, 04:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think I mentioned it somewhere else, but the people in the UK..they seem to be much more aware of her schedule, they always seem to bump into her! Here fans seems to be lazier [which is probably a good thing, she'd get mobbed. ]
Old 08-17-2007, 07:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

Haha yes she can have a relatively peaceful time in Aus, then come back to the fans here.

I went on a forum search, here's a pic - thanks to SeaneyC - from the 2004 meetup:

Last edited by "You'reMyLittleSnowAngel"; 08-17-2007 at 02:04 PM
Old 08-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Master Fan

Cute! I love that she shows up to things like that.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Fan Forum Star

So do I. It's great that she makes time for her fans.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Predictable~ (View Post)
Delta said that she felt this was a challenge for her to face, and that she could help other people - I believe she said something along the lines of 'If I can help just one person get an early diagnosis, then it will be worth it'
and there were stories of people getting diagnosed because they'd recognised Delta's symptoms as their own.
I find that so inspiring.
That's breifly touched upon in this article:

Quote:
For those who are healthy, vibrant and worry-free, the world of illness might seem like a place they will never visit.

If they do, it is usually because a stricken celebrity might reluctantly take them there, such as Kylie Minogue, Olivia Newton-John, Delta Goodrem or the late Belinda Emmett.
It's interesting that cases of celebrities getting diagnosed are what really prompt some people to get themselves checked out. In Delta's case, it's just an example of how it can sometimes seem like a far-off possibility for someone so young and healthy to be diagnosed with cancer, but that can be the reality.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Elite Fan

July 8th is my best friend's birthday, so it probably makes me a terrible friend that now when I hear that date I think of Delta instead of Hils!

I remember making an Livejournal post when I heard about Delta's ARIA wins, and teaching the Americans on my friendslist about her and what she'd been through. They were all so impressed with her strength - I still can't believe that she's only a few months older than me, and would have been in my school year. I think that was part of what shocked me most at the time.