Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-30-2004, 10:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Family and Friends - Love or Hate Delta?

This has been touched on in a few topics around the place, but something happened today and it got me thinking how much our love for Delta has influenced those around us - in a postive or even negative way. I know we're all obsessed with Delta and we are all playing her stuff constantly, so what do your friends and family think about her? And have you been able to convert them to the Delta force?

I live at home with my parents, and it's just the three of us and I am allllways playing Delta. At home, in the Car, Delta lives in the CD player. My mum has grown to love her, she loves seeing things about her and is always telling me when Delta is on the tv and so forth. My dad isn't really all that fussed with my music choices and all that, though, he does the same as mum and calls me when something is on and so forth. BUT today in the car, I had Delta on and I caught him singing to IE and Throw it Away! I was so proud, I've converted my dad too!

So..anyone else got any stories to tell?
Old 09-30-2004, 12:18 PM
Elite Fan

My friends aren't big fans of Delta's music, although they all like her as a person, how strong she is and such. But I sent one of my friends OotB without telling her it was Delta and she loved it, so I was very proud!

My parents aren't really bothered either way, so I don't have much of a story to tell!

Great topic, Ellie!
Old 09-30-2004, 01:49 PM
Supreme Fan

My dad thinks she's okay, but he'd never recognize her on tv or anything like that.

My mom on the other hand would. She likes her music and thinks she's beautiful. I think she's sick of listening to me talk about her though.

My brother would probably think she's hot, but she's not his type of music.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Master Fan

My brother was the one who actually bought the cd for me (I was sick and he knew that I wanted it). But I don't know how he or the rest of my family actually feels about her stuff. I'd imagine my mum likes it though.

I've gotten two of my friends hooked on her though.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Rach, too bad your friends are fans of her music, though, not a lot of mine are either. Though, one of my good friends is a fan as well. I was with her the day OotB came out, so the moment I downloaded it and she came back from Uni, I forced her to listen to it! But she liked it too.

Sus, your mum sounds like mine, she thinks she's gorgeous. Not sure if they're sick of me talking about her though. My parents, my mum especially are used to my addictions. Noah, ER..now Delta.

Fair_Maiden, that's sweet of your brother to by it for you! And good on you for converting your friends! Yay! I've managed to get a couple of international people hooked, I'm very proud!
Old 10-01-2004, 05:28 AM
Master Fan

Good question, Ellie!

Quote:
Originally posted by -ellie-

Sus, your mum sounds like mine, she thinks she's gorgeous. Not sure if they're sick of me talking about her though. My parents, my mum especially are used to my addictions. Noah, ER..now Delta.
My Mum thinks that of Delts too. Since I came home all excited and inspired with my signed LWY single and fangirly story about how my lining up 4 hours to meet such a caring celeb was every bit worth it. She points out snippets in her magazines to me, TV apps. and news reports, like yours does, Ellie. She's grown to love her through me, but even more so for her beautiful bubbly persona and earnesty, than her music.

Both Mum and Dad think she has a stunning voice. I remember the night I sat down to watch Delts' Ch [V] perf. the afternoon it aired. Dad looked up, and said to me, "you know, I really like her. She has the kind fo voice you could listen to all day". I'm sure he regrets saying that in retrospect. But Dad doesn't generally pass comments like that, unless he really means it.

My brother's pretty indifferent to Delta. He teases me about all my memorabillia and says he's heard enough of her music to want to throw himself off a cliff. I put IE on to drive him out of my room. It works wonders!

i believe in miracles born from love in everyone
icon by *Evie
Old 10-01-2004, 06:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Aww, that's very cool of your dad, Kat! And if you listen to her half as much as I do, I'm sure he's regretting that statement now! And sounds like our mum's are pretty similiar when it comes to Delta.

And hey, at least you have a good method of getting rid of you brother too!
Old 10-01-2004, 09:06 AM
Master Fan

Great topic starter Ellie.

Hmm, most of my friends neither hates or loves Delta. But I do have two friends who dislike her quite a lot. I got so upset that now I'm not really good friends with one of them. He said all these means things about her and something about how her cancer was too publishised (sp?). I didn't hear anymore cuz I walked off.

Anyway, apart from that most of them are okay. My mum loves Delta and knows her heaps now cuz of the calendar in our house and me constantly talking to her about it.

"You don't scare me." ~ Charlie to Claire
Old 10-01-2004, 09:23 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Aww, that's very cool of your dad, Kat! And if you listen to her half as much as I do, I'm sure he's regretting that statement now! And sounds like our mum's are pretty similiar when it comes to Delta.

And hey, at least you have a good method of getting rid of you brother too!
I thought it was pretty cool too. It's something I'll never forget him saying. Oh, along with him frequently prounouncing Delta's name "Deeta". He still says it from time to time. "There are pictures of Deeta and Mark in the paper again, Katherine".
Delta, Dad, Delll-ta!
Yes, I think it's safe to assume I probably do have her on rotation as much as you would. And I must admit, I'd have probably driven myself insane by now, if I were an involuntary listener in my household! Yeah, it's sweet to hear about how all our mothers kind of think of her as a second daughter.

Yes! That's a positive spin on it. I'm sure Delta would want me to view it that way too.

It's hard having to listen to people who strongly dislike Delta on account of her publicity, isn't it Rox? It frustrates me no end that they aren't considering the way the media manipulates a celebrity's image to suit themselves. They're the ones blowing up her illness, and her profile, when all Delta wants is to continue living and working as modestly as she always has.

icon by *Evie
Old 10-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Elite Fan

I think my Dad would like her, if he really heard a lot of her stuff. He took me to see Louise (ex-girl band member over here) in 1998 and he was surprised how much he liked her, and she was nowhere near as talented as Delta is!

Old 10-01-2004, 08:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Hee, Deeta, that's cute, Kat!

That's too bad you have friends who dislike her, Roxy. Like Kat said, it's not her fault that she gets so much publicity, that her cancer became such a big issue in the press. From what I've heard her say, she really didn't want all that at all. She just wanted to focus on getting better and getting back and doing her thing.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:07 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Hee, Deeta, that's cute, Kat!

That's too bad you have friends who dislike her, Roxy. Like Kat said, it's not her fault that she gets so much publicity, that her cancer became such a big issue in the press. From what I've heard her say, she really didn't want all that at all. She just wanted to focus on getting better and getting back and doing her thing.
Hehee, it sounds a thousand times funnier whe he says it too!

That's exactly so, Ellie. I find it upsetting that Delta is blamed from her publicity. Do people honestly think she rings the mags and papers, asking for them to print all the stories. She has to deal with the media hounding her for them, and she always handles that side of things so graciously. People don't want to hear about that though. They don't want to believe she's really as pleasant a person as everyone says she is.

icon by *Evie
Old 10-02-2004, 07:32 AM
Master Fan

Kat & Ellie, it is totally the media's fault and I think it's the fact that she is so "popular" that some hate her. Like I've known people to really hate Britney Spears and Avril Lavgine because they are popular and that's stupid because you should like them for who they are, not letting the media decide it for you. It's just stupid. Delta is a wonderful artist and really treats her fans well, there's no reason to hate that just cuz she had big things happen to her. Grr. It just gets me so angry.

"You don't scare me." ~ Charlie to Claire
Old 10-02-2004, 11:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oohh, interesting topic Ellie!

Hmm lets see.

My Dad: everytime she comes on tv he's goes "what's so special about her?!" I think that pretty much sums up his opinion of her.

My Mum: At times she can totally love everything about her..sings along with all the songs (albeit butchering the lyrics 99% of the time), watching the video clips and such, and the rest of the time she'll roll her eyes and have a similar opinion of Delta as my dad. But she always, always tells me where/when she's seen Delt's on tv/in mags etc. Often I'll hear "SET YOUR TAPE DELTA'S GONNA BE ON THE NEWS!!" from downstairs. ;P

My Brother: typical boy opinion of her.. thinks she's hot. Well, that was what he said last time he saw a picture of her..(Around [V] time) he's seen pics and stuff of her now but I've never bothered to ask him what he thinks of her.

My Sister: Her opinion of Delta changes so frequently. Like my mum, sometimes she loves her, sometimes thinks she's way too overplayed (not Delta's fault I guess) and just plain dislikes her. She was looking at OK magazine the other day and said she looked way too model try-hardy (my words obv. ;P) but then she tells me she loves OotB and thinks she's really nice. I don't know. Half the time she gets excited to tell me that Delta's in mags but then I tell her I've already seen them and she gets sad that she missed out on telling me so hmm.

My mum and sister are always buying me stuff that Delta's in when they see it which is always appreciated!

My Friends: My best friend thinks she has a pretty voice and likes her from Neighbours, but she's really clueless about music these days so half the time she doesn't even recognise Delta on the radio. Take today for example..we watched You Got Served and the theme song by Yolanda Adams was playing in the background and she thought that was Delta.

The rest of my friends either don't like her (she's "too poppy/too prissy/too fake" in their eyes) or have no opinion of her at all. Some of them jib me for liking her actually..they're like blah blah "oh but you're a Delta fan.." as though it's something to be ashamed of. Doesn't bother me though..I'll still wear my [nonexistant] I<3DELTA badge with pride.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Well, my Mum and Dad know who she is and I think they maybe a fan

My friends on the other hand are not. But then again they don't like Roswell, so that's saying a lot about what they like