Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 05:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Delta Fan Culture - They're phasing out singles!

Quote:
JB HiFi stops selling CD singles because of declining sales

By Cameron Adams
Herald Sun
July 02, 2009 12:01am

Out of fashion ... JB HiFi ceased stocking CD singles yesterday because of declining sales.

* JB HiFi dumps CD singles from shelves
* Number one singles sell only 300 copies
* Legal downloads the preferred method
* Fans win battle against scalpers

THE CD single is set to become extinct.

The music format suffered a fatal blow after JB HiFi ceased stocking CD singles yesterday because of declining sales.

The popular chain made a commercial decision to axe the format - often copies of the week's No. 1 single would sell as few as 350 copies across all their stores nationwide, the Herald Sun reports.

Australia's singles charts are now predominantly compiled from legal downloads, the preferred choice for purchasing individual tracks.

This week's No. 1 single - the Black Eyed Peas' I Gotta Feeling - is not even available as a physical CD single. The track sold 13,235 digital copies last week.

The band are also at No. 2 with Boom Boom Pow. While the song is available as a physical release, it only sold about 300 copies on CD last week, as opposed to more than 9000 digital copies.

Kmart still sells some CD singles, and so do some independent record stores.

Paul Cashmere, of website undercover.com.au, said the death of the CD single signified a major change.

"The downside of the elimination of the CD single is that we are no longer focused on artists, we are focused on songs," Mr Cashmere said.

"People have simply stopped becoming fans of acts."
JB HiFi stops selling CD singles because of declining sales | Music | News.com.au
---

So, this article came out a while back where they've stated that the biggest chain around in Australia, JBHIFI, has stopped selling singles.. This was a huge part of Delta's fan culture, how do you think it will effect her stand in the music industry, now that she would have less of a chance to interact with fans? Her biggest draw card is her warm personality, without being able to go see her as often as we have had in the past, I think it will definitely change things for her.

Suppose we will have to wait and see if SonyBMG decide to press any cds for her anyway, maybe we will be able to buy them off her site or something, but if they cease making them, then I think she might be in trouble. Who really is going to buy her singles digitally when you can just buy the album, or as is the case with international fans not being able to buy from an Aussie store, getting the songs illegally?

Delta will be able to go round promoting her albums and dvds, but singles really kept her at a close distance with fans, it will be interesting [though sad] to see how it all pans out for her/us.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I've always found the fact that Australia still has the singles at all, fascinating. We haven't had them here for ages, and even then it was never a publicised thing...like we never knew when the CD singles were available. And in-stores pretty well never happen either.

So, I mean, artists here do well without all the fan interaction and the extra sales coming from CD singles, I expect Delta would do just as well in Australia as she has been doing regardless of whether or not there are in-stores and singles. The obsessed fans will find a way to track her down no matter what, so that shouldn't be an issue, I don't think

Digitally downloading them is an issue every artist faces and I do know there are ways to make it extremely hard to download indvidual songs. I've got a CD which allows itself to be uploaded once and after that it's no longer possible, the songs are scrambled and deliberately skip. It's the same if I tried to upload them for someone and then download them individually. I don't think I've ever found suitable downloadable versions, because of this. It's a good way to ensure CD sales that way.
The jury's out, but my choice is you

Old 07-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It baffles me that people would want a digital download over a physical copy of anything. Like, if you're interested enough in the person to purchase it, why wouldn't you want the best available option, and the most cost effective one [$2-$3 for a cd with about 5 songs vs $1 per song?] I get that printing, packaging and shipping costs really absorb a lot of the price and make it not worth it, but as a consumer that just doesn't seem right to me.

Anyway, I guess it is time for her to really give the digital thing a go, she's never done amazing with it because she's always been a better physical copy seller.

There will still be the tv appearances, I mean, how does everyone else manage to scrape by...but ya know, for her it's a little weird. It was always exciting getting single release dates and the subsequent instore appearances. [I suppose she could still do those, but what would she sign? ]

And you're right about the obsessed fans.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

People are just too lazy/busy these days to bother going out to purchase a CD, especially when they have the option to just download songs in a matter of seconds [obviously depending on internet connection].

I think the digital thing could do well for Delta. Making things digital means it's accessible to a wider range of people. It could potentially work to her advantage.

As for in-stores...people have mulitple copies of things, I'm sure they'd have enough merchandise to suffice for awhile

Old 07-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

They generally don't let you get other things signed, unless you flat out like cry or smuggle one in and shove it in her face so she has no choice but to sign it. You generally have to have item she's promoting at the time to get *into* the lines.

It is quite a chore to get out and buy the singles, especially with most stores not opting to sell them [or what you might want], but I'll miss the option of buying singles. I loved getting all of Delta and Leona's.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well I meant if she ever did like a general in-store...just to keep herself connected to her fans...where they could get whatever they wanted signed.

I would miss having that option too. I mean, I admit I dont often buy CDs, but I do for artists I like...so Delta would've definitely been one.

But I guess this means that if I ever want to buy some, I'll have to use Ebay

Old 07-18-2009, 02:42 AM
Fan Forum Star

Aw Delta has to have CD singles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie (View Post)
It baffles me that people would want a digital download over a physical copy of anything. Like, if you're interested enough in the person to purchase it, why wouldn't you want the best available option, and the most cost effective one [$2-$3 for a cd with about 5 songs vs $1 per song?] I get that printing, packaging and shipping costs really absorb a lot of the price and make it not worth it, but as a consumer that just doesn't seem right to me.
Exactly! I think buying a CD single is so much better than just downloading a song.
That's sad that they're stopping stocking them. I hope they don't stop here.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I went to JB and I thought they'd still sell the singles they had on backorder, or have old ones still available..they had nothing! So sad!
Old 08-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh no, that's awful! That was soon!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Aww wow! Buy them all up Evie!

Old 08-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'll be gutted if they stop selling them here! We've got to keep the single love alive over here!
Old 08-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

We never had it, so I'm not quite as devastated

Old 08-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well you don't know what you're missing.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

i dont think they sell singles anywhere! i tried to look for guy's new one, and all stores that still have singles only have really old ones.

guess they won't be pressing them anymore, which means no more singles by delta, or autographed single promotions. i'd gotten use to those.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

awww that really is a shame!