Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Fan

Today I Am A Man: Episode Discussion (12/01/04)

Jack (Matt Long) is mortified after Grace (Christine Lahti) catches him buying condoms in preparation for his big night with Missy (Keri Lynn Pratt). Trying to be supportive of his actions, Grace insists that Jack talk to her about sex and questions him about whether he is sure Missy is the right girl. Meanwhile, Jimmy (guest star Tom Cavanaugh) slips back into his old habits, forcing Grace to make a difficult decision about her family. Also, Bobby (Logan Lerman) tries to help Warren (guest star Dean Collins) win over his crush Deena (guest star) but is surprised when she declares she has feelings for Bobby.

Jessica Pare, John Slattery and Bradley Cooper also star. Michael Schultz directed the episode written by Michael Green.

Miss this episode? Don't worry - check out KTLA's episode summary!

Last edited by crazyforcmm; 03-04-2005 at 01:26 PM
Old 12-01-2004, 11:00 PM
Loyal Fan

I am soo excited for tonights eppy!!

Hyde/Jackie l Jack/Courtney
Nathan/Haley l Seth/Summer
Jason/Courtney l Spike/Buffy
Charlie/Claire l Pacey/Joey
Old 12-02-2004, 03:56 AM
New Fan

Wow.

Jack loses his virginity and then gets his ass kicked in an alley. Bobby is really coming into his own. Personally I thought this was one of the best episodes since the pilot. Truly excellent.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:58 AM
Banned

A great episode!

Jack and Missy should stay together now. For a time anyways. I hate it when they make couple break up after sex in teen shows. They made both of them very nervous, which was great. Normally the guy is just going for it. They've given Jack a deeper sense of himself and emotions then you normally see. Which has created him into one of the best teen male characters that I have ever seen.

Courtney and Jack are at a point. They have seperated in sense for now. His relationship with Missy has moved to the next level and Courtney has started to move on as well. I really think this is good for Courtney. She doesn't need to be the character who follows Jack around trying to be with him and have that be her only purpose.

This new girl with Bobby is nice. I think that unlike Dex people might be more willing to accept her with Bobby. I loved the talk between Bobby and his Uncle (I still can't remember his name). Warren called it so going for it with her is a clear violation of the rules. Still, Bobby tried to make her like Warren..it just wasn't happening. I'm glad that Warren and Bobby can move forward. Warren is turning into a better character then he started off as.

Grace .. I'm praising her for kicking her brother out. It was a true moment for her. She realized that with her trying to stop her habbit that with him around and introducing drugs would not be good. She is really trying to follow through with her promise.

Tom and Grace also moved on to the next step. Things between them will change. I don't think that they will make it through without someone finding out or Tom breaking her heart. Just a feeling... mostly because of how future Grace is said to be. I think that she will be burned one more time before the bitterness happens.

Why did those guys jump Jack? Their most be something else going on. You need three guys to jump someone just for their wallet. hmm.....

A terrorist attack right after Sept 11th in the future...a nuclear one at that. Wow! Of course I thought the "bomb" before hiatus would have something to do with the possible affair between Bobby and the VP.

The sex talk was weird but what sex talk with parents isn't? I also thought that it was strange that both Grace and Jack moved forward in their relationships.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Subject
A great episode!

Why did those guys jump Jack? Their most be something else going on. You need three guys to jump someone just for their wallet. hmm.....

A terrorist attack right after Sept 11th in the future...a nuclear one at that. Wow! Of course I thought the "bomb" before hiatus would have something to do with the possible affair between Bobby and the VP.
WHERE did this come from..the attack on Jack? that totally blew me away...and i can't believe i have to wait six weeks to find out how it is going to change JACK.

Regarding the defining moment. I need more information. Was it trite to have the dedication and 40th anniversary to be in an episode? And then to throw out a nuclear bomb on Chicago one day later....i will have to think on this one.

i was glad that Bobby's friend didn't end up hating him for kissing the girl.

& yet....Grace throwing out her brother to me seemed harsh. I thought perhaps she sent him to rehab...but instead she just threw him out. I guess i have to understand - children in the household and all..but it did seem hypocritical since as her brother stated she has been smoking pot since she was 13 and to be one month clean - to have changed so much; and yet i guess AAA or any other sort of group would cheer her on..since she cleaned up her act -to be so close to a substance - it would be best to get it out of her house, and by throwing him out this was done.

I wish that the WB would look at the time slot or marketing this great show differently. ABC sent life as you know it to MTV...why can't the WB do the same thing with this critically acclaimed show.
EJami powerful, tangible, wild & completely off the charts Choice, not chance, determined destiny. He, too, has been changed in his turn, changed utterly: & a terrible beauty was born. Love comes in many forms & faces, as there are many roads to truth.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Fan

Very well written episode!

I think I missed a minute of the episode - I was watching Lost (for the first time - I liked it ), but it ran longer

I still don't like Missy/ Jack as much as I like other couples, but I'm glad the way the writers both magnified their nervousness, like Michael said. I was so upset when Courtney and Jack were talking about their love lives - you know much I like them!

I really didn't like Deena(?) - that storyline seemed a bit cliched to me, but I did like how instead of going to Grace, Bobby went to Jimmy and the hug was priceless

I'm still unsure as to how I liked Grace kicking Jimmy out - I see where she's coming from as to trying to keep drugs out of the house, but I also found it hypocritical - Grace was smoking pot...a lot and her children were exposed to it. I know Grace has quit and is off pot, but I thought she would try to help Jimmy stop, too...

for the Tom/Grace scenes - fabulous! I absolutely loved the hand biting scene Can you tell you my favorite couple is?

I have to say the Jack beating was a little surprising and weirdly placed, but I guess the next episode might reveal the writers intentions...

If you would like to know more about future episodes, stop bye the Spoiler Thread for J&B

Dommie - It's a great idea, but I doubt MTV would start airing J&B episodes Are ABC and the WB affiliates - or no? I get my corporations confused - if they are, the WB might be able to...
Old 12-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Fan

The first time I watched it, I was only half paying attention so I thought that Jack died on September 12...because of the mugging. But I remembered that Jack dies before Bobby becomes president. Thanks for clearing up the nuclear attack thing because I don't think I even got it the second time, when I actually heard the guy say it.
The mugging seemed so planned, but I don't understand why those guys would attack Jack like that. How much money could he have on him? Weird.

I almost cried when Grace and Jimmy were arguing and while I wish that he didn't have to go, I understand why Grace needed him to leave. I think that she could have helped him though.

The Tom and Grace stuff was great. I'm still floating.

I wasn't affected much by Bobby's storyline, and kept wondering what it had to do with the future aspect of the show. Glad he and Warren made up though.

Missy must have been out of her mind to set up a lovenest at the church, but it was cute to see them be so nervous about it. Jack looked so depressed about it after though.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by MissCongeniality
Missy must have been out of her mind to set up a lovenest at the church, but it was cute to see them be so nervous about it. Jack looked so depressed about it after though.

That's exactly what I was thinking - I think it's still freaky they hooked up in a church
Old 12-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Master Fan

I've never posted on this board before, but I've recently become addicted to this show, so I figured I'd stop by and post.

I'm not so sure how I feel about Grace kicking out her brother. I understand where she's coming from, but I can't help but find it hypocritical. And if anything can help him with his habits, I think that being in the house around Jack and Bobby is what will help him. I loved the scene between him and Bobby.

And I agree with whoever said it was weird that Jack/Missy had sex in the church. It was funny, before my the episode, I was explaining the storyline to my friend who has never seen the show before, and she predicted that they'd have sex in a church.. and sure enough.
I loved the scene with Jack after they had sex though. It's nice to see him really realizing how he feels, and it should be interesting to see where things go with him and Missy now.

I loved the Bobby/Warren/Deena storyline. I already don't really like Deena much, but I find the storyline to be really entertaining anyway.

It's going to be a long, long wait until the next episode. I'm not sure I'm patient enough!
Old 12-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Part-Time Fan

I love Jack and Missy. I know he is not in love with her, but she affects him in a way that is unexpected for him. I loved the scene before the did the deed, he was about to break it off with her, and she just starting talking about how they met and it was so cute and sweet that I completely understand Jack for just going with it. The two actors are great, the actress who plays Missy could make the character annoying, but she is so good that she adds layers to a character that could be just one-dimensional. And Matt as Jack...... what can I say????? He blows my mind! You can see in his face all his emotions, almost see how his brain is working. Jack is the most complex character in the series (IMO), and is hard to think in anyone but Matt playing him.

On to Grace and Tom... YAYYYYYYYY! I love these two, the make and incredibly hot and sexy couple, and both actors are great. I'm liking Grace more everyday, and I think it is because Tom brings out the best in her. And how lucky is she? Tom is hot!

Bobby is my least favorite character, but I liked his story today. The girl was so cute, and I was glad that he didn't break his frienship with the other kid that I don't remember his name, but is really his only friend. It broke my heart that his uncle was gone and he couldn't discuss with him what happened at the party.

ETA: how could I forget the mugging? What happened?? Poor Jack!
And I hope that Grace call his brother back to help with Jack, he is great!
Old 12-02-2004, 11:43 PM
Obsessed Fan

WB and affiliates

well..actually i can only think that Disney owns ABC...

Viacom Owns MTV???? and YES at the bottom it states a VIACOM International Inc.....so don't they own TBS? HEY WHY NOT OPRAH isn't her show distributed by..so why not even the "O"network... I went to this site https://jobhuntweb.viacom.com/jobhunt/main/jobhome.asp

and it has MTV, VH1, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, TV Land CMT and SPIKE tv.

and then if you go directly to Viacom.com....heck they own EVERTHYING...showtime, cbs, paramont, uupn, spike, kingsworld.

SO why did they decided to show Life as We Know it..it isn't a ABC affiliation?

and thank GOD i wasn't the only one that was upset with Grace..and not too completely sure on her choice about her brother.
EJami powerful, tangible, wild & completely off the charts Choice, not chance, determined destiny. He, too, has been changed in his turn, changed utterly: & a terrible beauty was born. Love comes in many forms & faces, as there are many roads to truth.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:15 AM
Ultimate Fan

Welcome to the board Becca Feel free to stop by the Getting to know you thread I agree the Warren/Bobby/Deena storyline is great and interesting, but I just really don't like Deena. My thoughts exactly on Grace and Jimmy - Jack & Bobby can be a great support system for Jimmy if he feels cravings and Grace can be there for him to help him through, as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyspuffy
On to Grace and Tom... YAYYYYYYYY! I love these two, the make and incredibly hot and sexy couple, and both actors are great. I'm liking Grace more everyday, and I think it is because Tom brings out the best in her. And how lucky is she? Tom is hot!
Yes! Completely agree Tom does bring many of Grace's good qualities to life

Dommie - Viacom - that's it - I couldn't think of the larger company - but they own a lot, so there might be a good chance Viacom owns the WB perhaps - I don't know though. I hope if not MTV, then some other channel picks it up to reair episodes
Old 12-03-2004, 01:33 AM
New Fan

The only thing I really didnt like about this episode was how it ended. I'm too impatient to wait 6 whole weeks to find out what happens to Jack.

I agree with what those have said before about Missy and Jack in the church.

On the note of who owns what from what I've read the WB makes Jack & Bobby (unlike roswell which was FOX but on WB) and I just looked online and according to this the WB is owned by Time Warner.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:05 AM
Banned

LUSH!!! I Know that your reading this.. go to your User CP.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:10 AM
Supreme Fan

A church?! I was multitasking while the episode was on so I completely missed that. It would be nice if this was Missy's intentional 'fcuk you' to organized religions' stance on premarital sex, but she seems less a 'fcuk the establishment' gal than a 'what better place to express our love than in Jesus' house?' chick. Did she actually state why she chose the church?