Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Total Fan

Peter/John Love#6: We'd pay money just to hear him read the phone book!

Welcome to the appreciation thread for Peter Benedict, Grace's conservative, off-putting employer, and John Slattery, the under-appreciated actor who plays him. Feel free to discuss anything related to this wonderful actor and man!

Hotpants Love
With John it's not just the looks that we care about! He's hilarious and incredibly intelligent, which is very appealing! He can make complex dialogues sound natural when he's acting and has a certain presence about him that just makes you want to be around him all the time. We've also heard from numerous sources that he his an incredibly nice guy! He likes baseball which is A-O-K with those of us who like the NYY b/c it's always fun to have rivalries! John also has incredible talent! Before we grow old and die we will make it a life goal for all of us John fans to see him during a play of some sort in New York (Broadway or Off B-Way). We bet it would be amazing to see him in the theatre. On screen John can go from the film medium to tv and make it look natural. Last but not least.....He is the most gorgeous man alive!!!!!!!!!!!

A Little About Our Favorite Actor
(summary provided by Lycos.com, TheWB.com, and editied by Shelly)
A tall, attractive character player and occasional leading man, John Slattery has worked steadily since landing his first regular TV series gig in 1988 as one of titular commandos in "The Dirty Dozen: The Series" (Fox). Since then the Massachusetts native has enjoyed a variety of roles on stage, in films and on television. Slattery offered strong support to Nathan Lane in Terrence McNally's Off-Broadway drama "The Lisbon Traviata" in 1989 and returned to TV series work in the short-lived espionage-themed "Under Cover" (ABC, 1991). He fared a bit better as union organizer Al Kahn in the WWII-era serial "Homefront" (ABC, 1991-93).

In between his 1991 series stints, Slattery began his long and fruitful association with playwright Richard Greenberg, co-starring in the author's play "The Extra Man". (He subsequently played Charles Van Doren in Greenberg's examination of the 1950s quiz show scandals "Night and Her Stars" in 1995 and won critical praise in the dual roles of a father and son in "Three Days of Rain" in 1997). In 1993, Slattery made his Broadway debut as a TV show writer patterned on Larry Gelbart in Neil Simon's semi-autobiographical "Laughter on the 23rd Floor", which starred Nathan Lane as a Sid Caesar-like star. He went on to offer stalwart support to Sally Field in her return to TV drama in the miniseries "A Woman of Independent Means" (NBC, 1995). After appearing as a suitor to Mary Stuart Masterson's "Lily Dale" in the 1996 Showtime adaptation of Horton Foote's play, the actor made his feature film debut in a supporting role in "City Hall" (also 1996). Slattery portrayed Walter Mondale in the acclaimed 1998 HBO miniseries "From the Earth to the Moon". He delivered a terrific turn as Miguel Ferrer's despondent partner in a private detective agency in "Where's Marlowe?" (1998) and then segued back to the small screen as a sexy veterinarian who catches the eye of Ann Cusack's "Maggie" in that 1998 Lifetime sitcom.

After the demise of "Maggie", Slattery was in demand as a guest player on TV, turning in several memorable performances, including playing Will's estranged brother on "Will & Grace" in 1999 and a blue-collar worker romancing a movie actress in "To Catch a Falling Star" (CBS, 2000). He had a recurring role as Amy's estranged husband on the CBS drama "Judging Amy" during its first season (1999-2000) and offered an hilarious turn as a politician with kinky sex habits dating Sarah Jessica Parker's Carrie in the HBO sitcom "Sex and the City" in 2000. Slattery returned to the Great White Way in the fall of 2000 to co-star with Juliette Binoche and Liev Schreiber in a revival of Harold Pinter's "Betrayal". Slattery most recently appeared in Mike Newell's Mona Lisa Smile and the HBO series K Street, produced by George Clooney and Steven Soderbergh. Other feature credits include Bad Company, with Anthony Hopkins, last year's Sundance Award-winner The Station Agent, Mirimax Films' Havana Nights, Soderbergh's Traffic, Sleepers, City Hall and Eraser.

Slattery's memorable television appearances include Sex and the City, From The Earth To The Moon, Will & Grace, Masterpiece Theatre's A Death in the Family and Ed, and Jack & Bobby. He recently filmed the A&E television movie The Brooke Ellison Story, directed by Christopher Reeve.

John Slattery’s Milestones
Raised outside of Boston, Massachusetts in Newton and Wellesley.
*1988 TV series debut as regular, "The Dirty Dozen: The Series" (Fox); among co-stars was Jon Tenney.
*1989 Acted in the Off-Broadway play "The Lisbon Traviata", starring Nathan Lane.
*1991 Co-starred in the ABC series "Under Cover".
*1991 Appeared in Richard Greenberg's play "The Extra Man".
*1991-1993 Played regular role of Al Kahn on the ABC period drama "Homefront".
*1993 Broadway debut in Neil Simon's "Laughter on the 23rd Floor"; played Kenny, a writer patterned on Larry Gelbart; play starred Nathan Lane.
*1995 Had featured role in the NBC miniseries "A Woman of Independent Means".
*1995 Portrayed Charles Van Doren in Richard Greenberg's Off-Broadway play "Night and Her Stars", about the 1950s quiz show scandals.
*1996 Cast as Will, the suitor to Mary Stuart Masterson's "Lily Dale" (Showtime).
*1996 Feature film debut "City Hall".
*1996 Appeared as a Detective in the film "Eraser"
*1996 Appeared as a school teacher in the film "Sleepers"
*1997 Returned to series TV in the short-lived "Feds" (CBS).
*1997 Co-starred with Patricia Clarkson and Bradley Whitford in Richard Greenberg's drama "Three Days of Rain", produced at South Coast Repertory before moving to Off-Broadway.
*1998 Portrayed Walter Mondale in the HBO miniseries "From the Earth to the Moon".
*1998 Played Miguel Ferrer's partner Murphy in the busted pilot "Where's Marlowe?"; after shooting additional footage, released as a feature film in 1999.
*1998 Co-starred as a goofy but sexy veterinarian in the Lifetime comedy series "Maggie".
*1999 Played Will's brother in a memorable two-part episode of "Will & Grace" (NBC).
Portrayed Amy's estranged (later divorced) husband in the CBS drama series "Judging Amy".
*2000 Appeared in the film "Traffic"
*2000 Starred opposite Sela Ward as a steelworker romancing a movie actress in "To Catch a Falling Star" (CBS).
*2000 Had recurring role as a politician with kinky sex habits romancing Sarah Jessica Parker's Carrie in the HBO comedy "Sex and the City".
*2000 Returned to Broadway co-starring with Liev Schreiber and Juliette Binoche in "Betrayal".
*2002-2003 Guest Starred as Dennis Martino on the NBC series "Ed"
*2002 Cast in the film "Bad Company".
*2003 Featured in "The Station Agent".
*2003 Starred as Tommy Flannegan in the HBO series "K Street".
*2004 Played the father in the film "Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights".
*2004 Played the boyfriend to Julia Robert's character in "Mona Lisa Smile"
*2004-2005 Starred as Peter Benedict in The WB series "Jack & Bobby"
*2005 Played Ed Ellison (Brooke Ellison's father) in the A&E television movie "The Brooke Ellison Story"
(provided by Hollywood.com & edited by Shelly)

*Fans of the Money Grubbing Whore and Sir Hotpants*
jsrocks - Shelly
deathofacat - Cat
Andie_coffeeaddicted - Andie
happyinca - Meryl

Eye Candy:

Quotes:

Pilot:
(Jack spies someone moving into the President's house and hands the keyboard to Bobby)
Bobby: That's where the college president lives. The new one's moving in soon. Mom says he's a money-grubbing whore.

(Outside the party, Grace walks into a man)
Grace: Oh, gosh.
Peter: Sorry.
Grace: Sorry.
Peter: The party still going on?
Grace: Oh, God, save yourself. If you came for the entertainment, you're out of luck. That windbag Benedict? Didn't even bother to show up. And the rest of them? Embalmed.
Peter: Really, that bad, huh?
Grace: Worse, but hey. Party hearty.
Peter: You walking home?
Grace: Huh?
Peter: Alone?
Grace: The muggers are all students, they'd be scared to attack me.
Peter: Oh, wait a second. I'll walk with you.
Grace: What? Miss your first faculty party?
Peter: Well, like you said, the old windbag didn't even show up. What kind of party's that?
Grace: (Smiling) Okay.

Grace:Then they had to go and hire this President Benedict, this money grubbing whore. His sole talent is for streamlining and revenue increase! I mean, a University is not a widget company!
Peter: No!
Grace:No! And what has this guy ever done, except make money and destroy departments, right? Oh, but he looks good on paper! He's got his MBA, he's got his unblemished record!
Peter: What *has* this guy done?
Grace: I don't know, I can't recite the specifics, but he was one of the six faceless candidates on the shortlist, you know, each one less distinguished than the last. And I know enough to know what was in his CV. Ugh, please. A vast, safe banality all the decrepit trustees could embrace. Oh yeah, I know this guy.
Peter: Wow.

Peter: I'm Peter. Benedict. But! My friends? All call me the money grubbing whore. Goodnight, Grace.

Better Days:
Peter: Grace, I'm a Republican, I'm not a Communist. Say whatever you want.
Grace: Oh, God. You're a Republican?!

Friends With Benefits:
Peter (to Grace): Well, my first reaction is Rage, just 'throw-you-out-of-my-office Rage', but let's talk about my second reaction: Bewilderment!

Reasons we love Peter:
-He's a Money Grubbing Whore
-He's not a masagonist
-He's a concerned parent
-He's sly
-He's got a witty sense of humor
-He's really good to Bobby
-He was encouraging to Courtney about Nate
-He calmed Bobby down when he was unhappy
-He's got a cute crush on Grace
-He can DANCE!!!
-He always wears ties

Reasons we love John:
-He's yummy
-He's talented
-His hair actually makes him really sexy! (Plus the curls!)
-He's hilarious!
-He can play both political parties to perfection
-He can be serious and funny at the same time
-He's great at Broadway, television, and film!

Previous Threads
Peter Benedict/John Slattery Appreciation Thread #1
Peter Benedict/John Slattery Appreciation#2: Who says curls aren't suave and sexy?!
Peter/John Love#3:Who says you can't wear Adidas sandals to a Broadway Opening Night?
Peter/John Love#4:The mustache.....the hat.....we even like the beard!
Peter/John Love #5: Dance for us, Peter, dance!

Future Thread Titles..........
We'll play "chess" with him anytime!
He's a Republican, not a Communist

John's Current Month TV Schedule
http://www.tv-now.com/stars/johnslat.html

Miscellaneous John stuff:
Watermarked but that doesn't get in the way of all the Gorgeousness!!!!!
More Gorgeousness!!!!
John at the "Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights" premiere in Los Angeles
Another one from the DD2 premiere
Picture of the cast of the Broadway play "Betrayal"
Photos of John from the play "Cakewalk"
"A Long Day's Journey into the Night" An article about a play John did w/ Sam Waterson from L&O
He decribes himself as a Massachusetts Democrat
CNN transcript of Howard Kurtz's show where they played a K Street clip
John's page at gettyimages.com If you want to find more pictures of him at gettyimages, spell his name "John Slatery" (people can't spell his name right)
DD2 premiere from starfileonline.com
John's page at filmmagic.com
Articles about the Sirius Satellite Radio play that he was a part of:
http://www.beingcharliekaufman.com/index.htm?top.htm&0
http://www.youknowforkids.co.uk/newear.htm
http://www.livejournal.com/users/agnte/101654.html

Here are more photo resources, you just have to type in his name to find them.
http://www.wireimage.com/
http://www.patrickmcmullan.com/
http://www.photorazzi.com/

Enjoy!!

Last edited by jsrocks; 06-09-2005 at 09:58 PM
Old 06-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Dedicated Fan

Awesome new thread, Shelly!

I wish Hotpants could see the intro, photos and links you posted here! Thanks for another great job!!

I wonder what John-John's up to these days. I have a feeling we're going to hear about his next project really soon. He's been in so many roles and worked with so many people, someone is bound to snap him up quickly!

And don't forget ... we have the "Ned and Stacey" TV DVD coming out in September! That will be new to us!!!

Meryl
Old 06-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Total Fan

Yeah I am pretty proud of this new thread. I started the 4th thread I think and I added all this stuff to it to make it look great. I really like the first pic that I found b/c it looks good at the top. I don't know how to make banners but that pic works just fine!

OMG I would freak if he saw this!

I've read numerous times that John is an in-demand actor so I'm sure he will get something very soon. I will definitely know when he has a new project lined up! I don't miss anything with him!!!
Old 06-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thx for starting the new thread Shelly

The intro is so pretty. All those wonderful John pic

Meryl - 21 more posts to go Be sure we won't forget about the dvds!
Old 06-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Total Fan

Almost there Meryl!

He's so photogenic. Not that many bad pics of him out there. Wait, there's probably none out there at all!

Old 06-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks for joining me in my posting countdown, Andie and Shelly! I'm getting a little nervous about which photo to choose for my avi -- there are so many great ones!! But from what I've heard about his scenes in "Red Meat," I might want to use a screen capture from that! (Just kidding!)

I was poking around in Blockbuster today, and I noticed that the "Brooke Ellison" DVD was stacked five deep on the New Releases shelf. I was a little surprised to see it at the store, since it was a made-for-TV movie. Andie, have you seen Hotpants in that one? That's when I fell in love with him, when I saw him that. He was so convincing as her dad; my heart broke just watching him in that performance.

What a great actor he is. He can play any kind of role and be perfectly believable in it. Shelly, I think you wrote in one of the threads that he takes complex dialogues and makes them sound natural. I loved that observation about his incredible talent as an actor. I can't wait to see him in many more roles in the future!

Meryl
Old 06-09-2005, 10:32 PM
Total Fan

I fell for John many years ago! He is an amazing actor!!

You know what? There used to be a few screencaps from Red Meat but I can't find them anymore. It's a shame too because they were good and I do mean GOOD!

His character in that movie is such a jerk so when you watch it you hate him but then you realize that it's John Slattery (The most amazing actor in the World!), and you just smile b/c he can play someone who is a total polar opposite from the person he is in real life and make it convincing! We love John!

Brooke Ellison story was a good movie. I'm glad it finally came out on dvd b/c my tape was getting worn out.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Dedicated Fan

That's how I felt about his character in "K Street," who was getting weirder and less likable as the series progressed. But as you said about "RM," I had to force myself to realize that it was because John's acting was so effective that I really disliked the character by the end.

Honestly, though, I'd rather see John playing more "good guy" roles, as geeky as that sounds. I'd love to see that sweet smile of his more.

Meryl
Old 06-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Total Fan

I love his smile!

But I also like his muscles in RM!!

He does play a lot of jerks. Whenever he does play a good guy, he is always so sweet in those roles. And that's probably b/c it is so natural. When he's playing a crappy guy he actually has to act.

Well I think I'm going to go to bed. It's getting pretty late for me here. Now that we've been talking about RM, hopefully I'll have some good Hotpants dreams!

Last edited by jsrocks; 06-09-2005 at 11:27 PM
Old 06-10-2005, 06:35 AM
Dedicated Fan

Reminder: J&B on TVLand tomorrow!

Don't forget that the "J&B" eppy is being shown on TVLand tomorrow! I wonder if it will be the series' pilot (as originally listed) or another one. All I can say is, if it's a different one, it better be one that Hotpants was in!!!

Will you all be able to see it?

Oh, and don't forget to keep in mind any time difference where you are (the time listed as 6 p.m. is Eastern time). I think it will be on at 3 p.m. here on the West Coast.

Meryl
Old 06-10-2005, 07:21 AM
Total Fan

I think they are showing "Legacy" which was the finale. John was in two small scenes but he was good in them. I'm on Eastern time here so I'll be able to see it at six.

I wanted them to show "Chess Lessons" b/c that episode has a lot of John. I think it was my favorite episode.

Ok so I spent the afternoon watching the commentary on DD2. I wish all of John's movies had commentary on them b/c it's so wonderful to hear what other people have to say about him. It's always great things b/c he is such a wonderful person and so kind. They said he and Sela Ward really worked hard when they were learning to dance and that they wanted to do more dancing in the movie than they got to. Another thing is that the movie was based on the Choreographer's life and when they were in New York before they shot the movie, she said John pulled her aside for about 2 hours b/c he wanted to know what her father was like since he was playing a version of him. John wanted to get it right and represent him as best as he could. That just shows his dedication and that he is so serious and wants to do it right. John! Oh and another cute and funny thing was they were watching the scene at the near end of the movie when they were having that final dance competition at the palace club and they commented on the expressions that John makes. He always makes these subtle cute/gorgeous/adorable facial expressions and the choreographer just laughed and said "John. We love him!" He's so funny and caring and is a great person to be around and I can tell from everyone who meets him!! Now only if I can meet him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by jsrocks; 06-10-2005 at 11:53 AM
Old 06-10-2005, 07:47 PM
Dedicated Fan

Link to video clip of John interview!

Well, until we can meet Hotpants in person, I have a little gift for you! I don't think this link is already posted, but maybe I missed it somewhere.

Are you sitting down?? Now take a deep breath and click on the link below. When you get to the page, click on the tab that says John Slattery, then click PLAY. You will SEE and HEAR him talk to you about his role in "Brooke Ellison"!!!!

Here's the link: http://www.aetv.com/brookeellison/

Enjoy!

Meryl
Old 06-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Total Fan

hahaha thanks for posting that link but I've watched it like a million times already!!! Before The Brooke Ellison Story was about to air on A&E I kept checking their website to see if they added stuff to the Brooke Ellison Story site. When I first checked, it said "Coming Soon" and as impatient as I am, I checked obsessively everyday to see if they had the site up.

He's so cute in that clip though isn't he?? There was another clip that he did, but you had to register w/ A&E website to view it. Well I registered (it was free) and now they won't stop sending me stuff in the mail!
It was worth it though! Anything for John!!!

Anyways, in the clip it was the same interview thing but he was talking about how he asked Ed Ellison how he and his wife stayed together after everything w/ Brooke's accident. He said he wondered how they made it work and that it was wonderful that they were able to do that.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Dedicated Fan

Oh, darn!!! I really thought I finally found something great you hadn't seen before!!!

Well, I''m not giving up my goal of finding something, somewhere, someday about John "Hotpants" Slattery you haven't seen before! That is my quest, and I will recruit others if necessary to help me in this life mission if that's what it takes!

Meryl
Old 06-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Total Fan

Hey I'm not going to complain! Anything about John that I haven't seen is ALWAYS welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!