Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-13-2004, 03:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Grace McCallister/Christine Latte Appreciation Thread #1

Let's talk about & appreciate that cool pot smoking mom & the lady that plays her.

Reasons we love Grace:

-She loves her kids
-She's got real problems
-She's got a big heart
-She gives brilliant (if long-winded) speeches
-She's beautiful
-She's a risk-taker
-She's the only tenured woman in her department

Reasons we love Christine:

-She's a feminist
-She's a brilliant actress
-She's a former hippie

Last edited by crazyforcmm; 02-24-2005 at 03:09 PM
Old 09-13-2004, 07:35 PM
Master Fan

I'm sure whether to hate or love Grace.She's this on the cusp of both character.But I've decided I semi-like her because I love characters who are like real people and Grace has real emotions and real actions.Christine is wonderful as Grace.She brings so much to the character!
thinking maybe you'll get it back and then you realize it's just gone.
banner: Brittany
Old 09-14-2004, 12:00 AM
Elite Fan

I was really impressed with Christine's performance on handling a character like Grace. I found her really interesting because she wasn't perfect and likeable at times. It must be a great role for her to play.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

I agree that I haven't decided yet whether I like Grace or not. So far I was more irritated than anything else but she had her moments so I'm gonna keep my mind open b/c I like CL.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:09 AM
Master Fan

It's actually spelled 'Lahti'. But 'latte'. Hee! Not making fun, just appreciating a little coffee humor.

I love Grace, man. She's overbearing, but she has a good heart. I don't think she lied to the boys to be malicious, she was trying to protect them. I mean, she was probably gonna tell them when they were older anyway. And having an asmathic child, I imagine, especially being a single parent, would be hella scary.

lex/lana("I did it for you") felicity/noel("you're my first boyfriend") trey/alex(mixing business with pleasure) seth/chloe(every superhero needs a lois lane)
Old 09-15-2004, 02:51 PM
Extreme Fan

I love Grace too! I get a real kick reading about all the Grace hate.

She's flawed. She's exceptionally flawed and its great! You don't get enough flawed characters/especially moms on tv.

She is always doing what she thinks is best for her boys and she's just a little misguided.

I thought Christine Lahti did an amazing job pulling it off and I look forward to seeing more of Grace.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by last beautiful girl
I mean, she was probably gonna tell them when they were older anyway.
I doubt that. I think the only reason Jack found out is because he went looking for answers and found her lies.

Grace is a good character. She evens out the parent department in not knowing what to do or how to act. She is trying to raise two sons without a father figure. So she had to invent one. Kind of like the movie, Rookie of the Year. Where the mother did everything that she told her son his father did. Grace did this for not only her boys but herself. She invented a man who's way of life was something that she herself wanted or wanted the man of her dreams to have. I feel sorry for her. She is all alone and won't allow herself to open up again. As seen with her "I don't date" mentality with Peter. She can't continue to shut herself off like this. It's not good for her or her boys. Without someone there for herself, she will cling to her sons. They will feel trapped and want to break away. Like Jack is begining to do.

The character was wonderfully acted. I am not sure I have ever seen Christine in any thing before Jack & Bobby. However, she like Matt Long has really captured their character. It is a beautiful thing to watch unfold on screen.

Last edited by Subject; 09-16-2004 at 11:28 PM
Old 09-15-2004, 07:23 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by bybrandy
I love Grace too! I get a real kick reading about all the Grace hate.

She's flawed. She's exceptionally flawed and its great! You don't get enough flawed characters/especially moms on tv.
I so agree! I really don't like how people hate tv characters because they're not perfect or they make mistakes.That's a good thing,not a bad thing.In life,no one is perfect.If all the characters on tv were perfect then it would be really boring! So I say,embrace flawed characters!
thinking maybe you'll get it back and then you realize it's just gone.
banner: Brittany
Old 09-16-2004, 02:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
It's actually spelled 'Lahti'. But 'latte'. Hee! Not making fun, just appreciating a little coffee humor.
Oops! I wasn't sure how her name was spelled. Glad it was edited.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:15 PM
Banned

I've seen this on the other threads and it is true. Grace needs to shine away from speech talking. She needs to open up more and show us a deeper side. I know, this is Grace we're talking about but still. If she just holds down everything and not really show some true emotion. Then it is just going to be a shame for the character.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I have always loved Christine Lahti. She is an amazing actress and I have seen everything she has been in. Her Lifetime movies and Chicago Hope were her best.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Subject
I've seen this on the other threads and it is true. Grace needs to shine away from speech talking. She needs to open up more and show us a deeper side. I know, this is Grace we're talking about but still. If she just holds down everything and not really show some true emotion. Then it is just going to be a shame for the character.
Great point - she does tend to not open up as much as the other characters In recent episodes, Grace is starting to open up a smidgeon, but it's still not enough - hopefully in upcoming episodes we'll be able to see a more emotional side for Grace
Old 11-09-2004, 05:09 AM
Extreme Fan

It's so weird, I started out disliking Grace because I thought she was an evil, crappy mom but she's actually become my favorite character.

Maybe I'm silly, but I don't see her as having any flaws... to an extent. I see her as having flaws in regard to motherhood, but not in her personality, except for the whole "pot" smoking thing. That bothers me. Other than that, I really appreciate her strength and opinions. I might be alone in this, but I don't want her to get as emotional as the other characters. She's very careful about getting emotionally invested in things, which doesn't mean we haven't seen her "deeper" side, it just means she's wise enough to stay away from entanglements, IMO.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:52 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Philosophist
I might be alone in this, but I don't want her to get as emotional as the other characters. She's very careful about getting emotionally invested in things, which doesn't mean we haven't seen her "deeper" side, it just means she's wise enough to stay away from entanglements, IMO.
No, you're not alone. I don't necessarily want to see a more emotional side of her either. I wouldn't mind it, but I think it would be out of character. And just because she doesn't seem emotional about something doesn't mean she isn't -- she just hides it well with all her diatribes and speeches. They seem to be her way of dealing with things.

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
Old 11-10-2004, 11:55 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Rain Candy
I think it would be out of character. And just because she doesn't seem emotional about something doesn't mean she isn't -- she just hides it well with all her diatribes and speeches. They seem to be her way of dealing with things.
Exactly. Yay for the woman who can express herself with opinions and intellect!