Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Season 8 Discussion - We met the minor niners, followed Emma & co. to Smithdale, and watched Riley kiss Peter.

801/02- Uptown Girl
In the eighth-season premiere, Mia becomes friends with a new girl named Leia and gets an opportunity to model for a shoe line, while Clare interacts with new student K.C., who challenges her. Meanwhile, Emma and Manny are assigned different dorm rooms, so Emma sets about getting them reassigned.

803- Fight the Power
Jane thinks she has what it takes to make the football team, so she goes for it. But Derek doesn't like it, and he does all he can to get her to quit. After Darcy goes on a four month trip to Africa, a lonely Peter seeks comfort in the arms of Mia.

804- Didn't We Almost Have It All
Liberty devotes her attention to joining a sorority---and not just any sorority but the "right" sorority. Meanwhile, Holly J. is eager to lose her virginity, and in new student Blue Chessex, she sees a possible candidate to do the honors.

805- Man with Two Hearts
Peter struggles to balance his relationship with Mia and his friendship with Riley, and he wonders if he's sending Riley the wrong signals. Elsewhere, Clare and Alli work with Connor on a school project and find a sex toy that ends up in Clare's bag, leading to an embarrassing situation.

806- With or Without You
Sav has big plans for himself and Anya during a camping trip, but those plans get sidetracked when he discovers his younger sister Alli alone with a boy. Meanwhile, over at Smithdale, Manny and Emma both have a crush on their roommate, Kelly.

807- Money for Nothing
Holly J. is desperate to keep her Queen Bee appearance after learning her parents are in a financial crisis. Peter's mom, Ms. Hatzilakos unexpectedly drops in for a visit. She's stays at his pad while she's in town, and Peter quickly discovers that his life isn't so rad with mom around.

808/09- Lost in Love
Spinner doesn't get into police college and lies to Jane about it, but she finds out. Elsewhere, both K.C. and Connor invite Clare to a school dance, which causes problems; and Kelly and Emma decide to go on a date.

810- Bad Medicine

Riley's the star of Degrassi's first ever football game win, but his secrets, both on and off the field, are in danger of being revealed as he tries too hard to keep up his "real man" image. Also, Danny and Derek both have it bad for Leia, but how will that affect their friendship?

811- Causing a Commotion
Clare defends Connor and his sometimes reckless behavior, but doing so gains her an enemy: the Shep. Later, Connor gets a diagnosis that helps explain his behavior. Elsewhere, Sav invites Anya to his house for dinner, but his parents make her feel unwelcome.

812- Heat of the Moment
Reaching the breaking point with Holly J., Alli posts some menacing, mean-spirited blogs and forms a hateful online social networking group, and the effects are devastating. Meanwhile, Peter isn't enthusiastic about taking on the responsibility of babysitting his half sister.

813/14- Jane Says
Jane's not happy that her father is suddenly back in her life, but she can't remember why she hates him. Piecing together memories makes her realize that she doesn't want to face the truth. Leia lies to try and impress her new boyfriend Danny's friends. Also, Alli persuades Clare to get a new wardrobe to impress boys, only to find herself getting jealous when Clare gets more attention than she does.

815- Touch of Grey
In an attempt to improve her boring image, Emma smokes pot, then denies it when the cops show up. Elsewhere, Connor discovers the truth about KC's past, as well as his current living situation.

816- Heart of Glass
Alli wants Johnny to like her a lot, and she's ready to do whatever it takes to make it happen. But afterwords, she realizes the price for being "mature." Peter is torn between Mia and Darcy. He finally chooses Mia, but will she even want him when she discovers that he's been talking to Darcy?

817- Up Where We Belong
Stress is at an all time high at Degrassi with exams approaching and course selections due for next term but Mia's failing English and will have to re-do it unless she can ace her final assignment - a public speech on where she sees herself in five years. One problem - she has a photo shoot the night before the speech is due. Meanwhile Holly J has trouble bringing her Art grade up and Sav has to choose between music or engineering.

818- Danger Zone
Holly J. and Spinner are held at gunpoint at work, and Holly J. reveals her feelings for Spinner. Meanwhile, Conner tries to reconcile KC and Clare while Peter tries to make amends with Mia.

819-822- Degrassi Goes Hollywood
Despite issues at home, Ellie, along with Marco, ventures to L.A to visit Paige, who is now an assistant to an A-list reality TV star. Ellie then reunites with Craig, causing a reconnection between each other but bad timing and Ellie's guilt over avoiding her shellshocked father take their toll. Manny struggles to get a part in a movie, that Paige accidentally gets. Paige lets her good fortune go to her head and transforms into a demanding, obnoxious diva, insulting and belittling everyone in her mini-entourage, particularly Marco, which causes a rift in their friendship. A bad break for Paige and help from her ex Jay and the Studz gang eventually results in Manny's acting dream coming true at last.

A few discussion points to get started (snagged from the season 9 discussion thread):

Favorite and least favorite episodes?
Favorite and least favorite major plot lines?
Most pleasant surprise and biggest disappointment?
Which characters didn't get enough screen time?
How would you rate this season compared to other seasons?

Those are just a few suggestions, but feel free to talk about anything Season 8 here.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Part-Time Fan

Dear god I miss when the show was like this! They need to fire the TeeNbred writers and bring back the ones who did seasons 1-9.

"YES OF COURSE I IRON MY UNDERWEAR. I AM NOT A HEATHEN EMMETT."
Squall_L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Passionate Fan

Honestly, the only things I remember about season 8 were Spolly J/Spinner getting shot and Emma's weed brownies
Old 08-21-2011, 11:22 PM
Master Fan

Things I liked about this season:
1. The Minor Niners <3
2. Queen Holly J
3. Sav/Alli dynamic
4. Peter/Riley dynamic
5. Danger Zone
6. KC's subplot in Touch of Grey

yup.

Things I seriously hated about this season:
1. Peter/Mia
2. Peter/Mia
3. Mia
4. Mia
5. Darcy's lame exit. Seriously even Mia got a better send off... ugh Mia.

I actually liked Mia before this season too. I dunno why she had to be in every episode of this season. I seriously hope the season 8 drinking game does not include doing anything "every time Mia is on screen". That would be a bit much even for me.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall_L. (View Post)
Dear god I miss when the show was like this! They need to fire the TeeNbred writers and bring back the ones who did seasons 1-9.
I'm glad someone else thinks like this! I miss having even a little bit of realism. People hated season 8, but compared to season ten it was really old school and issues based.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Part-Time Fan

This is the season where I started to watch degrassi regularly. I had seen episodes before, but I actually tuned in every friday to watch this. I absolutely LOVED the minor niners in this season, don't think there will ever be a better crew =P
LSpell619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSpell619 (View Post)
This is the season where I started to watch degrassi regularly. I had seen episodes before, but I actually tuned in every friday to watch this. I absolutely LOVED the minor niners in this season, don't think there will ever be a better crew =P
Me too. They were such a perfect group. I really liked that the writers spent time developing their interchangable friendships. KC/Clare, KC/Alli, KC/Connor, Clare/Alli, Clare/Connor, Alli/Connor all had scenes together but even more than that they were belivable. Also out of all the characters who were introduced/promoted this season these four had the best development throughout the season. I felt like we saw them all go on a journey with each other. They taught each other things and helped each other navigate the brave new world that was high school. Clare learned to relax and step out of the box. Alli learned she didn't have to try so hard (then she forgot that lesson and had to learn it again two seasons later). And KC and Connor both learned that true friends accept you no matter where you come from. With the new cast it's really their group that has the most solid foundation. I really miss the days when these four did everything together but I also think that they've had a very believable transition to the people they are now. I don't really rewatch season 8 much, but when I do it's for their episodes.

Honestly I actually miss the KC/Connor and KC/Clare friendships.

I also have to agree with the people saying they missed the issue based storylines. Me too.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

This season had too much Peter and Mia and Darcy was really just one of many characters to get an awful farewell/exit storyline. I think that there was a definite shift in the writing and direction of the overall show but that if really happened during Season 6. I will miss Queen B Holly J after this week, I don't think Katie will ever be as compelling as either Paige or Holly J. I do agree that it's just hard to watch KC now because it's been all about the Kenna dynamic now and not much else for him and it's a little sad looking back and seeing what has happened to KC.
Shipper Of: Holly J Sinclair and Declan Coyne, Degrassi's Power Couple, Sean Cameron and Emma Nelson, JT and Liberty, Drew and Bianca, Miles and Maya, Rob and Kristen Maddie and Wes, Riley and Lucas, Josh and Maya and Chuck and Blair, Jesse McKenna and Becca Thatcher and Simone and Eric Daniel and Noa, Max and Liz, Nikolas and Gia, Monse and Cesar and Ariana and Pete, Josh and Donna and Spencer and Trina, Miles and Lola
Holland Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Addicted Fan

Favorite and least favorite episodes? Up Where We Belong was my least and Heat Of The Moment was my favorite.
Favorite and least favorite major plot lines? Favorites were the Anti-Holly J hate group, Fight The Power, Connor pushing Alli, and Alli losing her virginity to Johnny, least was anything involving Danny/Leia and Mia's modeling.
Most pleasant surprise and biggest disappointment? Pleasant suprise was I warmed up to the new characters instantly. Biggest disappointment was I expected more out of Chantay and Danny since they've been around since season 4 and they didn't do squat with them.
Which characters didn't get enough screen time? Chantay, Danny, Bruce and Blue. I don't think Leia was ever going to catch on honestly so I'm glad they didn't give her too much.
How would you rate this season compared to other seasons? It's at the bottom of the list but it's not a bad season.

I enjoyed this season for the most part. Far from my favorite though. I didn't care much for Mia at all in this season but I did enjoy her with Peter and while I'll always perfer Pemma and Parcy first, they're relationship didn't bother me at all. I was never a KC/Clare fan honestly, but I loved Johnny/Alli and I liked Kelly/Emma. Holly J/Blue was always blah to me but after seeing how they ended up I wish they didn't even bother. My fave couple this season was definitely Jane/Spinner.

I'm actually one of the few people who would put Jane Says at the bottom of the list of episodes for this season. I was completely bored with it until the last 10 minutes of the episodes. I found myself mostly loving episodes that dealt with Connor or Alli. I loved the Connor/Clare friendship and wish they continued it beyond season 8.

The only college plot I liked out of all of them was Touch Of Grey and Holiday Road in the next season. I loved a majority of the college plots with Paige/Marco/Ellie but didn't like most of the ones for Emma/Manny/Liberty. I can't tell you why because I don't know.

If I were to rank this season on a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 6.5.
ihavealife2uknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I'm not sure it completely worked, but I do think Jane Says had some good moments. The little conversation between Jane and Holly J was one of my favorite moments of those episodes. I wonder if the produces and writers looked at that conversation and got the idea that those two would be a good combo down the road?

I'll have to think about those questions for a bit and then come back and answer them.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Part-Time Fan

Favorite and least favorite episodes? Bad Medicine is my favorite and it's hard to pick out a least favorite since I liked pretty much this whole season. I guess it would be With or Without You for the High School plots, and Touch of Grey for college episodes since it was the last one.

Favorite and least favorite plot lines? Riley's gayness is my favorite and Alli trying to make it work with her first abusive boyfriend is my least favorite.

Most pleasent surprise? Riley

Biggest dissapointment? The college episodes having such a dissatisfactory ending.

Which cahracters didn't get enough screentime? Blue, Chantay, and Riley.

How would you rate this season? It's near the bottom but above seasons 1, 2, and 7 and far above seasons 10 and 11. It's honestly one of my favorites but it's hard to compare it to the other seasons since all the ones before 10 were so good.

Mia was annoying but she's nowhere near as bad as the two Stus we have to deal with now.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe2000 (View Post)
I'm not sure it completely worked, but I do think Jane Says had some good moments.
It had a few. I especially liked in the second half how Lucas defended Jane and it made me wish Lucas was a main character because I liked him. The episode just felt kind of slow and didn't pick up until the last 10 minutes when Jane and Lucas finally put the peices together. I get that is how it happens in real life, it just didn't interest me all that much.
ihavealife2uknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Part-Time Fan

I thought Jane Says was one of the strongest of all the episodes after season 7.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Klare 3>
Old 05-17-2015, 04:37 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Just having a moment of appreciation for season 8, mainly With or Without You. Am I the only one who felt excited during that episode? Sav and Anya wanted to get some alone time on the camping trip but Alli is disrupting everything. Then Sav finds out she has plans of her own with Johnny. It just felt so normal in a high school way with a low key camping trip but this was a big deal for the teens since less supervision so they are going to try to hook up with each other. And are they ready? And why are big brothers so annoying in that overprotective way? It was so nice having their big brother/little sister dynamic.