Old 06-20-2015, 04:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Love that gif. Some really good times

'People that are meant to be together always find their way in the end'
BrookeღLucas l EdwardღBella l RonღHermione l RyanღTaylor
avi: NOLA504
Old 06-20-2015, 05:00 PM
Elite Fan

I feel like Degrassi doesn't do enough callbacks to it's past series and characters. While yeah, we have Simpson/Snake as principal which is a big fat callback right there, no mentions or even lasting "legacies" have you will, of past characters makes me kind of sad.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much about Girl Meets World and how they recently ruined my Shawn/Angela...pardon me.

Basically, I think having a mention from Simpson for example about internships available at the Sun and the contact being Ellie or maybe even a broken car getting fixed at Cameron's Custom Cars.....etc. I don't know!! Just kind of wish a show that's STILL GOING ON (on Netflix/Teen Nick/MTV Canada/Family whatever..) could have more of an acknowledgement of their past. But maybe that's just me.

(Do I make sense? I'm sure I don't.)

Yellow is for "I'm working on it."
malia tate
Old 06-21-2015, 04:46 PM
Extreme Fan

Wait, they ruined Shawn/Angela? I mean, I get why shows can't always have their ~first loves~ end up together (*cough*Eman ) but it actually made complete sense for those two... they were basically a college couple, and they were so good together. And I didn't even really ship them. Plus this is the show a show with a couple who were together since like middle school, so, wtf. That's a shame.

ANYWAY, that's a good point. I really like those callbacks too, because they're subtle and work perfectly in the context of the show. It's not like, "oh look, this former student who is totally famous is gracing us with their presence at Degrassi." Those would be really nice references to old characters.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:05 PM
Elite Fan

They ruined them. I don't even ship Cory/Topanga, 'cause, you already mentioned it. I've never been about that kind of ship. (Everyone ships differently, blah, blah, blah). But they were so good together, and now...nail-in-coffin,-pitchforks-at-Michael-Jacobs.

As I was saying though, before my heart got sidetracked....... I'd love a reference or two. I feel like they used to do them every once-in-awhile but, with this new crop it's kinda gone away.

malia tate
Old 06-22-2015, 01:20 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Shawn/Angela aren't together? I can't remember how the couple ended in Boy Meets World but that's a shame that they weren't together in Girl Meets World. I'm too lazy to google...was it because of actor availability? Is Rider Strong on the show?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatina15 (View Post)
Basically, I think having a mention from Simpson for example about internships available at the Sun and the contact being Ellie or maybe even a broken car getting fixed at Cameron's Custom Cars.....etc.
This is so cute that I'm quoting it in hopes that everyone rereads it and smiles again. It would be the perfect callback too. It doesn't have to lead anywhere.

Oh weren't you guys talking about Republican!Dan in here? I was listening to some Cassie Steele interview awhile ago and the interviewer stumped her with the question about a scandal on the set. Cassie ended up saying that "Dan used to punch walls a lot." I can see that. I can see it.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:48 PM
Extreme Fan

Wtf? That's... kind of scary. Was he angry? Trying to get into character? Destructive? Weird.

I haven't been watching, but I read an article about it. I'm pretty sure Rider's on the show, and the actress who plays Angela was back for at least one episode, where all this went down. Apparently everyone kept referring to Angela as a storm/hurricane which is weird.

And yeah, that's why I like the callback so much. It doesn't even require the actors availability at all... no reason not to do it.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:15 AM
Elite Fan

Rider's on the show, yes. Trina (Angela) was back for an episode, yes. The broke up at the end of BMW and now, well...... Doesn't it mean anything to the writers when what they've done is causing a hoopla on the internet? Do they not recognize the excitement the news of her return brought? Why'd they mess it up? WHY?

ANYWAY. Sorry, I'm still not over it.

Callie is right - callbacks cost NOTHING. Actors don't have to come back and it's a nice way to reference show history.

Dan is still very much Republican. Why is he punching walls? Oy. I can't remember any of that interview. Sounds like a very intense bro. Scandals on set? I feel like there was always one with the older cast. And always pictures floating online to prove it.

THOSE WERE THE DAYS!

malia tate
Old 06-23-2015, 08:57 PM
Extreme Fan

OMG remember all those secrets about Dan's children and supposed baby mommas???

Honestly I wondered if he still was a Republican cause I saw him dissing all the noms on Twitter (and he follows Bernie Sanders??) but he also tweeted about Reagan so...
Old 06-24-2015, 01:11 PM
Elite Fan

To be honest, I don't really KNOW which way he's currently leaning politically these days...I'm just assuming. I don't follow him on Twitter anymore so I only keep up whenever you point something out to me (thanks, Cals!).

Degrassi secrets was the best. I miss it. I also miss submitting really dumb sh-- stuff and stirring the pot. I totally admit I would submit stuff for reactions/drama/boredom purposes.

You know what I like? Going on Tumblr and searching the Sellie tag from time to time. It's some good stuff and it makes me smile like a dumb idiot to know that there are other random people that we've never met who feel the same way about this couple. Like, so many posts that talk about the same things and reasons why we love them. I stare at the computer screen and think, why aren't these people here posting? Where were they back in the day? Why don't we know them? HOW don't we know them? I know it sounds silly, but I always used to think of us as a small community where we all knew each other, so when I find other like-minded folk I kinda go - "whaaaa????"

Degrassi Confessions | Tumblr

Like, who is posting/submitting this stuff is it isn't us??? Seriously! COME! JOIN US!

malia tate
Old 06-24-2015, 03:35 PM
Extreme Fan

Yeah the Tumblr tag is really sweet. Lots of people praising them being the best couple on Degrassi for tons of reasons. Like, I've seen usual responses talking about how mature they are, to others saying they liked how they lived together without a huge focus on sex like Degrassi tends to do. I really like reading peoples thoughts so long after they were on screen, cause I think it lets people appreciate them even more.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:07 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Maybe if we keep this thread on the first page some lurkers will sign up and post here.

Wow that Sellie secret could have been me. I liked Eman up until season 6. Season 6 really ruined their magic for me. I think I could have appreciated the whole "epicness" about them if it wasn't for that season actually. Sometimes couples are better for a first love. And they had a great goodbye in Back in Black IMO. I didn't see it as two people falling back in love or staying in love or whatever...just two looking back on the past and saying goodbye. Why not let it end there and have Sean return for Ellie? That was where there was more to be explored. Sigh. The things that could have been.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:04 PM
Extreme Fan

That's a great point. I never really liked Eman, but I can see why they were popular as a couple when they were on screen. And I think their progression was an interesting one character wise, like, how far can the good girl/bad guy ship go, ya know. I like how you explained Back in Black, it's a perfect way to put it - that episode felt like closure for them. Which is why it really stings that Sean didn't come back for Ellie, because we didn't get any closure for them at all... like, the last thing they said was ILU, and you're really gonna tell me he doesn't come back to her? It just didn't make ANY sense. Ugh. And then they even ruined what they did with Eman previously with that train wreck of a relationship in S6.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:16 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

My one thought on the whole Shawn/Angela thing is to ask what the hell did she do to her hair?

Oh and the Shawn/Maya relationship comes across as kinda...creepy.

So this whole little posting splurge is going to result in a new thread. Any title suggestions?

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
Old 06-25-2015, 11:45 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidocat (View Post)
Wow that Sellie secret could have been me. I liked Eman up until season 6. Season 6 really ruined their magic for me. I think I could have appreciated the whole "epicness" about them if it wasn't for that season actually. Sometimes couples are better for a first love. And they had a great goodbye in Back in Black IMO. I didn't see it as two people falling back in love or staying in love or whatever...just two looking back on the past and saying goodbye. Why not let it end there and have Sean return for Ellie? That was where there was more to be explored. Sigh. The things that could have been.
See, like he didn't even have to come back for Ellie. I would rather have had Sean come back for himself, given everything he'd been through up to that point in season 6 (so, him being back with his parents included). As he tries to repair everything he can mend relationships as well (i.e. Ellie). Sellie did not get closure, very true. All they ever got as a couple were minis that at the end of the day weren't even cannon. So, basically, since Ellie sent Sean back his stuff they have not communicated what so ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe2000 (View Post)
My one thought on the whole Shawn/Angela thing is to ask what the hell did she do to her hair?
Well, Angela generally had different hairstyles from episode to episode - so her hair in the return (which admittedly, I have not seen, and kinda refuse at this point) isn't that surprising. Just the color I guess.

malia tate
Old 07-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatina15 (View Post)
See, like he didn't even have to come back for Ellie. I would rather have had Sean come back for himself, given everything he'd been through up to that point in season 6 (so, him being back with his parents included). As he tries to repair everything he can mend relationships as well (i.e. Ellie). Sellie did not get closure, very true. All they ever got as a couple were minis that at the end of the day weren't even cannon. So, basically, since Ellie sent Sean back his stuff they have not communicated what so ever.
Yes, of course! We have talked about this. In depth for the SE in Season 6. Sean's season 6 return felt cheap to me because all of his issues surrounding the shooting weren't addressed. He comes back for Emma? That's all the writers can come up with? I'm still upset that he was expelled and didn't get to graduate. At least he kind of seemed to develop his own interests and motivations at the very end. Sigh. What a waste of potential.

I wonder what Sean and Ellie, as characters, would have been like if Sellie had happened in season6+. What do you think Ellie would have been like?