Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

The "Newbies" vs. The "Originals": Everyone is divided. Let's talk about it.

- Think it's fair that a certain few get to hang around while others get no send off whatsoever or are left with only a few lines if they are lucky?
- What's your ideal send off for your favorite original characters?
- Do we need the originals?
- Do we need the newbies?
- Think the newbies are only rip offs? Or do they have their differences from the originals?
- Would a spin off ever work with the originals?

Just a few starter questions. Feel free to address anything that's related to the ever apparent noob character vs. old character fight that seems to be apparent on every board. No need to answer the questions I suggested. Get to it. It's something we talk about in one way or another.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Master Fan

I'm glad to see this topic because everyone seems to be slipping this issue into all the recent Degrassi disscussions. It's not something you can easily avoid these days.

Personally I don't understand the hate on the new kids. For one thing, nothing the new kids do erases what the original cast did. So Holly J stood up to a gunman at The Dot. Does that make Rick shooting Jimmy in Time Stands Still any less dramatic? No.

And while there are lots of similarities between the new kids and the originals, I think people are way too quick to draw comparisons between the two. I think I've heard "OMG! Clare is like totally just the new Emma!" a thousand plus times by now. Sure KC and Sean both had tragic backstories and played basketball. Yeah Alli and Manny both have strict parents and were in a rush to grow up. It's really the storylines and the character dynamics that make a character and from what I've seen the new kids are quite different. Sean just lived away from his parents, KC is in a group home setting, something I find really fresh and exciting. My personal favorite is when people compare Riley to Marco. I'm sorry but what do those two have in common aside from being gay?! I think there is still lots of storylines Degrassi has yet to cover and regardless of their similarities do the originals, I think the newbies have a lot to offer us.

I think it's dumb to just right the show off because the originals are gone. Most of the original characters have hit their peak of development and personally I'd rather watch the newbies than see Emma reinvent herself for the 10000 time or be bored by storylines from the oroginals that we've seen before. Face it, Degrassi was going to get stale. It really need the new blood. Besides season 9 has been really impressive! The writing on the show this season is wonderful, much better than S7 and S8's usual fair save for a few standout episodes. The dialog is great and I love that they're following up their storylines this season instead of having everything be episodic. The fans who stopped watching are really missing out.

Besides a lot of the original cast members seem ready to move on: College, other TV gigs, maybe they just need a break from playing the same character everyday. Why not let some young new actors take the spotlight?

And the newbies are NEW, hense the name. Maybe they just needed a season to get into their roles. And maybe in season 10 they'll be more widely liked.

Personally I'm Pro-New Kids. Maybe by the end of S9 I won't feel like a minority in this debate.
Nekoshoujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:35 AM
Master Fan

Wow, it's great to see someone having the same opinion as me. Personally i didn't think s7 and s8 were bad at all. And it's so annoying hearing people say that it's not Degrassi anymore and that the originals aren't on the show anymore. Personally, i think we were lucky to get to see some of them in college/uni.

I still think it's real and goes there. IMO people should try and give it a chance before complaining like they always do. What i love the most is that even though they recycle several storylines like pregnancy and rape and stuff like that, it's never the same. They always change it, so i don't see what people hate about that.

You make me Feel like I'm living a Teenage Dream,
Let's runaway And don't ever look back
vicious_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:22 AM
Master Fan

I completely agree with both of your posts!

This is my order of preference...
Originals while they attended Degrassi
Newbies while they attend Degrassi
Originals outside of Degrassi

I grew up with the originals, so I'm always going to like them better. I went through stuff while I watched them go through similar things as well. BUT there are also lots of new Degrassi fans who are just getting into the new characters the way I got into the old ones back in the day and I think thats GREAT!

Hopefully Degrassi can last forever Or at least until Linda Schuyler retires
Old 10-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Master Fan

I'm surprised a thread for this wasn't created a long time ago. Great idea though!

I don't necessarily love either batch of characters as a whole. People compare Alli and Manny because rather small details. I can't stand Manny but I love Alli. I think it depends on how the viewer receives the information and how they choose to respond to it. There are old characters I miss and new characters I am on the edge of my seat to know more about. It depends on what viewers are looking for in a character, I guess.

I'll go ahead and answer your questions too.

- Think it's fair that a certain few get to hang around while others get no send off whatsoever or are left with only a few lines if they are lucky?-
No. No. And no. I know Aubrey is doing great with his rapping and all now, (go Drake!) but at the same time, whatever happened to Jimmy? The last time we saw him he caught his dad having an affair with his secretary and then he was thinking about stem cell surgery. He comes back and tells Spin he's going to propose to his girlfriend. Do you know how many directions those things could have gone off in?
Paige thought she might have contracted HIV and then we see her acting like some Barbie Princess in "Degrassi Goes Hollywood?" What was up with that?

What's your ideal send off for your favorite original characters?
I don't really have an "ideal" send off exactly, but take Kelly for example. Of course no one really seemed to care about him, but he got caught with pot and he couldn't live on campus anymore. So he's gone. That's done and taken care of. Just let the old actors finish out their storylines and then send them packing, would ya D:TNG writers?

-Do we need the originals?-
I love Spin. Emma and Manny... eh. But we don't need them anymore at all. They've already went through so much. I know Cassie has music on the side and I'm not sure what Miriam and Shane are up to. But most of their old castmates have already moved on.

Do we need the newbies?-
Only the good newbies. Leia, Blue, Bruce, and Chantay can all go.

Think the newbies are only rip offs? Or do they have their differences from the originals?
Definitely not. Of course some storylines are being repeated, but different actions are being taken so nothing and no one are exactly the same.

-Would a spin off ever work with the originals?
I'd give it a try, but I don't think it would be well received overall. It would probably get mediocre ratings and stuff.
vivalalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Master Fan

Personally I think that the last 3 episodes of season 7 were brillant and they should've ended the originals there. ALL of the characters got a great ending IMO(except for characters like Sean, etc that were already gone). Spinner got it together and graduated high school. Jimmy showed that despite everything he was still a good friend to Spinner. Paige, Marco, and Ellie were all moving out but they still cared about each other and sometimes that's what happens to friends. And Emma, Manny, Liberty, and Toby ended at JT's Memorial. Even Ashley and Craig were back together doing their music thing.

I don't need an explanation of what every single character is doing post Degrassi. I don't know exactly what all of the kids I used to go to high school with are doing. All I want know is that they've moved on and grown up, and that they "made it through" high school
Old 10-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Part-Time Fan

- Think it's fair that a certain few get to hang around while others get no send off whatsoever or are left with only a few lines if they are lucky?
Absolutely not, most never get to have anything resolved whatsoever, they're there one minute, and, then next...poof...barely a sentence of explanation, and gone. I know the actors often are ready to move on, and that's great for them, I just wish somehow they left not so suddenly. The problem really is that the writers continued the characters too long and, by then, they just had no where left to go.
I really don't know Just something resolute and finished, I wouldn't mind at all sending off my favorite original characters if I felt there was nothing left to tell, or something to that effect
Do we need them? No. Most would have recycled plot lines by now, and no longer be the original characters. But do I miss them? Yes.
I suppose for the show to continue, yeah,we do, but I don't know...I feel like all of a sudden they were all new, whereas I'd've warmed up faster if it was little by little, but, I don't mind the new characters, and I'm interested in seeing where they're all going. I'll always prefer the originals just becuase that's exactly what they are...the originals, but I like the newbies too.
- Think the newbies are only rip offs? Or do they have their differences from the originals?
There's always going to be similarities, that's like if you met two people in your school with a similar interest or background, and thought they were just copying the other, or whatever. I think they have their differences, sure. I still don't think I really know enough to judge quite yet.
I think that...it could, but most probably wouldn't. It really would depend on the writing, and how true to their roots the characters stuck. I'd watch it, but, most probably, just miss them as they were, not how they are.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:52 PM
New Fan

No absolutely not i hate seeing that with what ever happened to the paige HIV storyline hmm i wanted to see what happened witht hat it is really not fair that Marco ellie and Paige and the rest of that crew had to leave when Manny emma and spin get to stick around and get like a dozen more storylines

i dont know what my ideal send offs would be cause i love Marco Ellie and paige and they are already gone i dunno i just wish we could get like a closure episode but i really did not want them to leave

I do not thin there is one character we need but i would LOVE it if they brought all the originals back just for one more episode Please!!!

In a way yes we do need the originals because with out them Degrassi would have no new episodes because everyone is getting older

There are some characters with HUGE resemblances to the originals like Claire she reminds me of Emma and KC reminds me of Sean but they have their diffrences which is always good

umn it might it might not like everyone said it depends
xosellie4evaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I grew up with the originals, so I'm always going to like them better. I went through stuff while I watched them go through similar things as well. BUT there are also lots of new Degrassi fans who are just getting into the new characters the way I got into the old ones back in the day and I think thats GREAT
right its how i feel; i grew up with the original so i do like them better

as for the season so far; we don't need Emma and Manny or Shane; im flabbergasted that they are still on the show; they can go.

im not 100% pro-newbies; but they are fitting into the new mold of Degrassi; its a different show now; and it needed the change? - ok then new kids it is.

as far as the story lines ---- yeah so many characters left w/o anything being well explained like Jimmy's and Paige's story line also Darcy --- one episode she is cool and the next episode they announce she will be leaving. ooh boy :nono;
Old 07-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

There seems to be some talk in the episode discussion threads about how the DTNG originals/alumni are treated. So it reminded me of this thread. I think that if the later seasons weren't proof enough, Degrassi Goes Hollywood and Degrassi Takes Manhattan have made it crystal clear. The alumni have to go so we are spared of any more ridiculous storylines where stardom is easy to achieve or out of left field pairings.

I personally am annoyed by how some of the alumni are giving favoritism. If it's the actor's choice to move on, that's fine. But if they are inviting only certain people back for reasons like TPTB are choosing what characters should be fan faves and featured, then I'm a little bit upset by that. I think the show should have had the balls back in season 7, pulled a Skins, and said you are all in or you are all out. Season 7 actually would have wrapped up a lot of the "originals." There was a graduation...nothing says sailing off into the sunset with their lives ahead of them off screen than that. Paige, Marco, and Ellie came to terms with the fact that they have to move on and their episode ended on a beautiful screen freeze shot of them.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-Canada (View Post)
Personally I think that the last 3 episodes of season 7 were brillant and they should've ended the originals there. ALL of the characters got a great ending IMO(except for characters like Sean, etc that were already gone). Spinner got it together and graduated high school. Jimmy showed that despite everything he was still a good friend to Spinner. Paige, Marco, and Ellie were all moving out but they still cared about each other and sometimes that's what happens to friends. And Emma, Manny, Liberty, and Toby ended at JT's Memorial. Even Ashley and Craig were back together doing their music thing.
As sad as this is, it's the truth. Season 7 should have been the oldies last season so that we wouldn't end up being smacked with horrid storylines like the Spemma wedding (no offense to Spemma fans, I like them too, I'm just half anti on the matter).

Quote:
I personally am annoyed by how some of the alumni are giving favoritism. If it's the actor's choice to move on, that's fine. But if they are inviting only certain people back for reasons like TPTB are choosing what characters should be fan faves and featured, then I'm a little bit upset by that. I think the show should have had the balls back in season 7, pulled a Skins, and said you are all in or you are all out. Season 7 actually would have wrapped up a lot of the "originals." There was a graduation...nothing says sailing off into the sunset with their lives ahead of them off screen than that. Paige, Marco, and Ellie came to terms with the fact that they have to move on and their episode ended on a beautiful screen freeze shot of them.
I also agree with you so much on this
Old 07-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Master Fan

oh wow its weird reading my old posts here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidocat (View Post)
I personally am annoyed by how some of the alumni are giving favoritism. If it's the actor's choice to move on, that's fine. But if they are inviting only certain people back for reasons like TPTB are choosing what characters should be fan faves and featured, then I'm a little bit upset by that.
Yeah I always wonder about that too. Like are the other cast members not asked at all? Is it just because the writers can't think of a storyline for them? Especially in terms of Melissa for DGH - did they just not let her be in it b/c of Crellie? Not that I'm too upset b/c she's too good for DGH anyway, but it still seems really unfair to her and any others that don't get asked back.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Addicted Fan

I've been talking about this a lot in the episode discussion threads but as I said there, I'm SO GLAD season 10 is fiiiiiinally moving on. Frankly, I wish Peter were gone too (I don't really know what he's doing at the Dot and I never liked him, but anyway). I grew up with the original characters and I love them, but not outside the high school. I am quite happy with watching reruns if I want to see the originals. College episodes were NEVER good... and I appreciate the originals making cameos every once in a while, but that's it!

Season 6 should have been the end of the originals. It could have been the full school year instead of just a semester, and Emma/Manny/etc. would have graduated and that could be it for them. J.T.'s death was big that year but it wasn't touched upon too much in season 7 anyway. Season 7 would have been stronger without the college episodes, and then seasons 8-10 could have focused entirely on the newbies. And then we would still be in real-time instead of stuck in fall 2008 right now. Hey, can I join the Degrassi writing staff now?
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Extreme Fan

My wishes are simple...

Keep characters as long as they're relevant. Don't stretch out their storylines just for the sake of it... because then you run out of ideas and everything gets to be ridiculously stupid (i.e. Emma, Manny, and Liberty in college). A nice send off would be them graduating college, giving a hint to the rest of their lives, and an occasional pop-in if it relates to anything (i.e. Spinner while he was with Jane. That made sense).

I have no problems with new characters... that's fine with me. After all, this is a show about high schoolers in Degrassi (following the original characters till their senior years is not something I'd enjoy). I don't prefer one over the other (old v. new)... my biggest beef is when the old characters become totally new people just so writers can keep them on the show. I understand people grow and change, but making everyone into one big ridiculous storyline is unforgivable to me.

I shall end my rant there.

let's talk about the 90's [ ♥ ]
.dEpp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Extreme Fan

Nope, not at all. While I haven't seen a lot S5 through S7, when the originals are leaving, I think it's unfair of the writers to keep certain people around forever *CoughSpinnerCough* but others have been neglected. I'd like to see a Degrassi London movie with Ashley and Sean in it. And I'd like to see Hazel as a new Spirit Squad supervisor or something. And I wish Terri came back for one episode. [/ramble]

...I should've read this before I answered the last one. XD But yeah. Ashley and Sean in a Degrassi London movie would be nice (And my dream couple), even if it's more farfetched than Spemma. I think they should have a reunion episode like they did in S1 with the original kids, but with the TNG kids.
We don't need them, but it would be nice. Degrassi would be nowhere without them, and it would be nice if the actors had some employment.
Yes, but it would feel genuine if some of them were related to others. Like if Angie Jeremiah came or a kid from the Original original series came.
I don't think they're rip offs, because face it. Every high school has the promiscuous (sp?) girl, the queen bee, the emo kid, and so on. It would be unfair to say some stuff is unoriginal.
If they started earlier. It would be perfect if they did one starting in S6 with Paige & everyone else and a full year season, and then Emma & everyone else got bumped there in S7. And if I recall correctly, The-N had a college show at one point, so it would work out perfectly with that show and the later Sabrina reruns for a mini-college block.
NocturnalCouchPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread