Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Extreme Fan

We haven't even seen him yet (except in the unflattering light of last night) and his character bio sounds pretty awful, but I have decided he is going to be amazing like his sister.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I'm just hoping he has some more words in his vocabulary than "Gayyy!"

Credit to the one and only Alexa for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Extreme Fan

Yeah...that was not necessarily a high point for him or the Degrassi writers.

(although I'm actually torn about the second part of that statement. On the one hand, it was asinine, but then again that may be pretty consistent with that sort of behavior.)
Old 07-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

Walt Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Addicted Fan

Yup, and I saw another post on tumblr saying that Luke called Dave a "butt-looker"?! What?!?! I don't even remember that. The dialogue was so painfully embarrassing that I must have blocked it out.

I mean, I get that Degrassi probably isn't allowed to say "fag" anymore, I guess, but THEY COULD HAVE TRIED A LITTLE HARDER. There are more than enough gay slurs that aren't technically swear words.

Unless Luke is just supposed to be that dumb.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Extreme Fan

I'm mainly impressed that the actor was able to do that with a remotely straight face.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Master Fan

Kid does not know how to use a recycling can.

Sounds like the dumb theory has some merit.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Addicted Fan

Yeah I was thinking the same thing...
Old 07-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellifluouscloud (View Post)
Yup, and I saw another post on tumblr saying that Luke called Dave a "butt-looker"?! What?!?! I don't even remember that. The dialogue was so painfully embarrassing that I must have blocked it out.
That wasn't Luke. It was nameless buddy. Still doesn't make it any less painfully bad, though.

They do have recycling in Florida, right?

Old 07-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Addicted Fan

The Bible didn't tell me to recycle, so I'm not doing it!
Old 07-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Master Fan

I guess to try and look at Luke in a positive light we haven't seen his real intro yet. He's just been around. But next week we should get a better idea of who he is. Honestly I don't know what to expect. At all.

Imogen had a little moment before she was properly introduced but she left a much bigger impression with one line than Luke has over two weeks.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

I totally agree.
Walt Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Extreme Fan

In all likelihood no one will read this, care, or agree (), but I am taking a stand for Luke Baker.

A lot of people seem to dislike him, and that is probably because he has yet to show redeeming qualities. However, that seems more like a horrible oversight on the writers' part than a reflection of Luke. Do we really know anything about him? Not really. All we have seen is him just being over the top unlikable. I acknowledge that so far he has been a jerk, but I also think that both real life and past storylines on this show have shown that people can be complex. And if the show doesn't make him complex, that is really just a failure on TPTB's part.

My main thought is that new characters ought to have (not necessarily right when they are introduced, but at some point) an episode from their perspective. This worked really well with Cambell, and I want it for Luke, Becky, and Dallas. (Instead, we see things like last night's alcohol in school at 11 AM, which just seemed like a weird catalyst for an unnecessary rivalry in which we are obviously supposed to oppose the hockey guys) Of course, we're still waiting on this for some characters that have been on the show longer, so I won't hold my breath.

Last edited by MD9999; 08-14-2012 at 02:00 PM
MD9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Not only am I with you on Luke, I'm ready to take a stand for the whole team.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD9999 (View Post)
Do we really know anything about him? Not really. All we have seen is him just being over the top unlikable.
He's not so much unlikeable as just... dumb. He's really dumb. But is that a reason to dislike someone? Not necessarily. Certainly not for Luke. He is harmless-dumb. The best insult he can think of for a gay person is "Gaaaaayyyyy!" That's not an insult. That's the equivalent of Tristan following Luke around and yelling "Blond!" Another instance of him being dumb was his failure to recycle. Actually, I don't really care of he recycles the soda can, but he could have at least aimed for a receptacle of some kind instead of the floor. That was dumb, but Jake attacked him, and Luke fought back in self-defense. He has every right to defend himself against bodily harm. (Incidentally, the same thing happened tonight at Clare's party. Jake threw the first punch, and the rest of the hockey team reacted in self-defense.)
Reply   Post New Thread