New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Extreme Fan

Add me, please? She's charming
Old 07-19-2012, 06:27 PM
New Fan

Little Miss Sunshine is her perfect name for her. Can I be added to the list?
Panda Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Addicted Fan

I love this little condescending shrug she does.

And I love that she always wears yellow.

Also, umm..... if shipping Becky/Eli is wrong, I don't want to be right
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Master Fan

Yes, I hope she forever wears white and yellow. So perf~

Again another stellar night for Becky. I think Degrassi is taking a very mature angle with Becky's homophobia. Let's face it there are a lot of people in the world who think the way she does and a lot of them think that way because they're been taught to and haven't met anyone who could show them an alternative viewpoint. It would have been easy for Degrassi to demonize her. To make her a villain. Look at Alex and Bianca- they both started out in that role. But even though I know Becky is going to come around (I mean have you watched this show?) I like that they're starting her off in a place that shows her beliefs to be more well beliefs and not just straight up bigotry.

I also think Becky handled the situation as best she could. This was one of those weird episodes where I felt like both Becky and Eli were right and wrong in their own ways. Eli going over her head with Simpson felt a reminiscent of Becky withholding information in part one. In fact really I feel like Becky and Eli are really, really similar. It's just their values are so different. Personality wise though? Totally on the same page.

I think that's why I love this rivarly so much. They're actually equals. It wasn't like Eli/Fitz where Eli was clearly the more clever one. Or Jake/Eli where Eli was just being an ass. No here they both have solid points. It's kinda like watching a great chess match.... white & black wardrobe included.

Also I totally get why they'd be shippable, but I'm actually thankful that for once there's no romantic tension underlying the rivalry. In a lot of cases that feels like it invalidates a perspectives of both characters. But without it, it just feels like it's so much easier for both characters to stand their ground.

I'm definitely curious what Becky's next move will be.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoshoujo (View Post)
I also think Becky handled the situation as best she could.
Exactly. She didn't throw a fit. She didn't make a scene. I think she felt that she had been backed into a corner... so she walked out. I also don't think Eli expected Becky to react like that. I mean he really doesn't know a whole lot about her, and he knew it would annoy her, but I don't know if he understood the gravity of why she would be offended. I don't think he expected her to just walk out. (At least... that's what I'm telling myself because I apparently I ship them now? OH GOD)

Quote:
In fact really I feel like Becky and Eli are really, really similar. It's just their values are so different. Personality wise though? Totally on the same page.
Yes! Their interactions are fascinating to me. Eli is so mystified by her. Whenever he talks to her he gets this look on his face of disbelief that she's even real, because she's so sunny all the time. And yet... isn't Eli the same way? Like we have to suspend disbelief with him because of the way he talks and the way he carries himself, it's so atypical of teenage boys. It's not that they both have strong personalities, but they also both happen to have really weird personality quirks too. (And it's not like it was with Imogen, either -- I guess Imogen always seemed too aware of her own quirkiness. Becky, like Eli, is oblivious to how much she stands out from the crowd.)

Quote:
Also I totally get why they'd be shippable, but I'm actually thankful that for once there's no romantic tension underlying the rivalry. In a lot of cases that feels like it invalidates a perspectives of both characters. But without it, it just feels like it's so much easier for both characters to stand their ground.
Everything you're saying makes perfect sense and yet I want them to make out
Old 07-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe2000 (View Post)
Regarding a change of heart storyline with Becky...
Spoiler:
Yup! But I think this is a realistic way to go.

Spoiler:

Also their promo pic? Matching cuteness! Ugh I just have a thing for couple wear.

Quote:
Everything you're saying makes perfect sense and yet I want them to make out
lol nah I totally get it. I'm actually surprised I'm not feeling it that way. Knowing myself I mean Probably because I'm invested in other ships. I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellifluouscloud (View Post)
I also don't think Eli expected Becky to react like that. I mean he really doesn't know a whole lot about her, and he knew it would annoy her, but I don't know if he understood the gravity of why she would be offended. I don't think he expected her to just walk out.
I don't think he did either. One thing about Eli, he might have done this to piss Becky off but like he said to Tristan that was more of a bonus. We've seen pretty much since day one that Eli likes being the champion of the underdog. He likes people who are outside the box. And he's also been a friend to the LGBT community. So far all the people he's met who have been against those beliefs have been big burly bullies. Maybe excepting Bianca but put that aside for a second. So from what I saw I'm assuming that Eli simply can't understand the depth of Becky's homophobia. He knew that she wasn't about to throw anyone through a glass door but sometimes it's not about that outright hatred. It's about being uncomfortable with someone who is gay. And that discomfort isn't something Eli has ever experienced or come across. In fact in the end Eli seemed pretty baffled.

That's why I'm so curious about where they go from here. I suspect Becky isn't done with this play. Nor are Becky and Eli done with each other. But clearly the approach will be different. And that's what I'm interested in.

Plus what will happen when Luke is thrown into the mix? I'm really looking forward to getting a sense of what the Baker siblings' relationship is like.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Loyal Fan

Not a fan of her beliefs, but I do still like her. I think she's one of the more realistic characters and does the perky thing better than Jenna.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaJ (View Post)
Not a fan of her beliefs, but I do still like her.
I don't think anyone who is a regular viewer of the show would actually be a fan of Becky's beliefs. At least I sincerely hope not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoshoujo (View Post)
I don't think he did either. One thing about Eli, he might have done this to piss Becky off but like he said to Tristan that was more of a bonus.
Eli thought he would be annoying Becky and gain some ground in their battle of the wits. They have been playing tug of war since they met and Eli enjoys the challenge! I think, not only did he not want her to leave, but the possibility never crossed his mind. We can all agree that it was never his goal to become solely in charge of a musical production. So, Eli is dumbfounded and disappointed that Becky walked out, and I think -- I hope -- that he will encourage her to come back and keep an open mind. I really want Eli to be the one to help open Becky's eyes. Um, I could write an essay about my Becky/Eli feelings but I'll resist the urge.

Quote:
So from what I saw I'm assuming that Eli simply can't understand the depth of Becky's homophobia.
You know what else, Becky's homophobia really is in the truest sense a phobia. She is actually afraid of gay people and how their mere existence disrupts her worldview. We know she's disgusted and probably hateful, too. But that's her defense mechanism to protect herself from what she's scared of.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellifluouscloud (View Post)
Eli thought he would be annoying Becky and gain some ground in their battle of the wits. They have been playing tug of war since they met and Eli enjoys the challenge! I think, not only did he not want her to leave, but the possibility never crossed his mind. We can all agree that it was never his goal to become solely in charge of a musical production. So, Eli is dumbfounded and disappointed that Becky walked out, and I think -- I hope -- that he will encourage her to come back and keep an open mind. I really want Eli to be the one to help open Becky's eyes. Um, I could write an essay about my Becky/Eli feelings but I'll resist the urge.
Yes. As much as Eli complained about her - as much as he complains about everything - she kept him on his toes and I do think at least part of him was enjoying that. In a way it's a misunderstanding. Because for Eli it's hard to imagine this being so personal to Becky. He doesn't know her. He doesn't understand that these beliefs are very much at the core of who she is. It's silly to him. And in a way I think maybe that echos the way most of the viewers feel. It's easy to hate Becky if you can't imagine where she's coming from.

Quote:
You know what else, Becky's homophobia really is in the truest sense a phobia. She is actually afraid of gay people and how their mere existence disrupts her worldview. We know she's disgusted and probably hateful, too. But that's her defense mechanism to protect herself from what she's scared of.
Yes exactly! That's how I see it too. I wrote this up for Tumblr because I dunno I think she's kinda misunderstood. At least in the sense that hating her feels like an opportunity missed.
Misfits and co., In Defense of Becky Baker: A Post
Quote:
In Defense of Becky Baker: A Post

Becky Baker is a homophobe.

People hate her for this.

Now I’m not going to judge anyone’s love or hate for a character. You have every right to like or dislike whomever you want. But don’t you think the Becky hate is a bit premature? It’s pretty obvious that Becky’s beliefs stem not from who she is as a person but how she has been raised. It’s hard to blame her for her opinion when it’s clear she hasn’t been given the opportunity to see things from the other side. And remember this is just simply Becky’s starting point. There’s no doubt in my mind that she’ll meet some people this year who will give her the chance to form a new opinion - her own opinion - about the LGBTQ community.

What I like about Becky is the fact the writers are presenting us with a reality. They’re not villainizing Becky. At least that’s not how it feels to me. They’re presenting us with a kind of person. Someone who has had limited experiences. You can see that in Becky’s reactions to Tristan. She’s not aggressively hateful. In fact hateful doesn’t even describe her reactions. She’s repulsed. But why is that? Is she repulsed because she’s disgusted? No, not really. She simply sees being gay as wrong. These are the people who are the “wrong people” in her mind. And so what Becky really feels is fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear what has been planted in her mind as bad or evil or wrong. She’s like a child afraid of the monsters in the dark. The shadows that her parents and the people around her have called monsters. And it’s going to take a light being shined right down on those shadows for Becky to realize that they’re not monsters at all. They’re real people. And those people aren’t wrong just because they’re different. This is Degrassi. That light will come. Look at Spinner, Bianca, and Alex. All characters who started out judging and hurting others. And look at where they all ended up. Hell turns out Alex was gay herself! Becky is just next in the long line of characters who didn’t yet realize what they were doing. How they were being hurtful. How they were wrong.

So don’t hate on Becky. Take a step back. Think about how important Becky is as a character. Because you might know someone just like her. Someone who just doesn’t get it yet. And maybe if they watch this show, watch her evolve, watch her learn- then they might just get it too.

Welcome to character development people, the best kind always starts in the worst places.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Addicted Fan

Oh, I read your post earlier, and it is beautiful. Also, from my admittedly very limited exposure to the DTC, I'm surprised to see that most fans are interested in Becky and seem to like her. Or, at least, they discovered they don't hate her like they assumed they would. Which I guess is good enough.

Which is also kind of funny because I think most of us, including me, were convinced that Degrassi "wanted" us to hate Becky and we were determined to like her. I even commented that our first impression of Becky seemed to be designed to turn us against her. Now I think we were all wrong (or at least I was ) about the show's intentions. It's almost like......... we're basically all going along for the ride with Eli right now. We're simultaneously baffled by and fascinated with this mysterious, sunny, misguided creature.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:40 PM
Master Fan

^ Yeah I don't think that was the show's intention. Every year there's one newbie who they groom to be the newest "lead" and I'm pretty sure this time around Becky was that character. I also think that they're using her to send a message to the FFA. Like "Hey FFA, we based a character on you! Watch us slowly change her mind until she accepts gay people just like you should!" I don't think that's a bad thing. >.< Although introducing a character as fan favorite Eli's rival is a bit of an unfortunate set up. Then again Fitz was really popular so many not. Maybe it's a blessing to just be involved in an Eli plot.

But one thing Becky really has going for her is the fact she seems to have connections to a lot of different characters. Sure she was introduced as Eli's rival and not such a fan of Tristan. But we have her brother Luke acting a connection to the Ice Hounds,
Spoiler:
and probably some connections to other characters through those characters. And really that's the best thing you can do for a new character because it's when a character gets too isolated that they become a problem. It's hard to get to know someone if they're only interacting with the same one or two people.

That's why I'm really looking forward to the
Spoiler:
because I want to see what Becky's like when she's truly friendly with someone.

Oh and we'll be meeting her parents too? Yeah... so that's usually a good thing too. And especially important for Becky considering where her belief system comes from. I know Sarah said that before Degrassi Becky came from a school full of Beckys so that adds a hint of understanding. I dunno if she just knows that or if it's in an episode but it has me curious.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Part-Time Fan

I've been wondering if she's going to be a part of some sort of protest, or something like that, and that's how she "disrupts" ticket sales. It would be interesting if Friendship Club was still around (it was around in S10, so maybe it could be), and they arranged a protest like they did back in the days of Darcy and Spinner.

I'm also interested in seeing if Becky will interact with Clare about this issue. Clare is Christian, too, after all, and she knows what it is like to just have everything she has ever believed to be true suddenly challenged.

I think I have a hard time hating Becky because we saw a very nice side of her, too, when she wanted to donate the old uniforms to charity instead of burning them.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Part-Time Fan

I thought I was going to detest this girl, and chances are I'd never be friends with her in real life, but honestly? I love her. I agree with everything being said in this thread. I like that she's not a caricature and it's actually possible to see reason in her point of view. Sign me up for this!
Old 07-22-2012, 06:29 AM
Addicted Fan

I posted this on Tumblr yesterday. Asya, I was feeling inspired by your "In Defense of Becky" post so I wanted to make my own. But I decided to go for broke.

Quote:
Why Becky Baker Might Be The Most Important Degrassi Character… Ever

I cannot adequately express how much I already love Becky Baker. And no, I don't condone her views at all. Obviously no one who has been watching 12 seasons of Degrassi would agree with her. But I'm fascinated by Becky because I can't wait to see her journey. I am so excited to see her evolve. I can't possibly hate Becky because of her views — ignorant as they are — because those aren't her views. She didn't come up with them. A 16-year-old girl doesn't just wake up one day and decide to hate gay people. Someone, probably many people, people that Becky respected and admired, taught her to hate and to fear gay people. This is learned behavior. Luckily for her, it can be unlearned. And it will be. I have total confidence. I think, to watch this show and immediately write Becky off and dislike her, would be to miss the entire point of what and whom she represents. Haven't we all met a Becky? Haven't you ever known someone who seemed awesome and fun and then you found out they had some absurd, ignorant belief about something and they refused to reconsider? No matter how hard you tried to reason with them, they wouldn't budge? If you haven’t met a Becky yet, you will. Trust me, you will. And it doesn't make them a bad person; it just means they're misguided and misinformed. Sometimes they'll never change. They'll never get it and it's frustrating and unfortunate. But Becky will change — we know this. Becky will see the light, and her eyes will be opened, and we will all feel rewarded and relieved. And if Becky can change, and if people like Becky can change, then that means there's hope for society as a whole. For all of us.
I also made a gifset to go with this and I keep looking at these two.

I think it's so interesting how she says she has to quit. And then there's a pause before she formalizes it and says, "I quit." It's almost like she's being held at imaginary gunpoint. Something is forcing her to quit. She doesn't want to, she has to. If she doesn't, there will be consequences. (And how great is Sarah in this scene, in her delivery of these lines?! )

I also think this line is a clue that Becky has been, for lack of a better term, "brainwashed." People (especially kids) don't just come out with things like that on their own. That's an ideology that has been fed to her and she's regurgitating now. The way she says it almost sounds rehearsed -- even robotic. She has been "programmed" with these beliefs. I don't know, maybe this is me going overboard but I kind of feel sorry for her. It must suck to grow up in a culture of hate.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:20 AM
Extreme Fan

Becky/Eli Of course I ship them. That's just how I am. I love battle of wits between those two. And I love how they both enjoy pushing each others' buttons. Love/hate relationships are always the most passionate and entertaining to watch. So yes, I'm on board with them, the same way I was on board with Fitz/Eli and will be on board with any couple of this type.

At the least I want them to be awkward friends that snap at each other whenever they can, compete for pretty much everything and have UST with each other. I'll be fine with that.

And yes, I agree Eli didn't expect her to quit, which is funny because before the episode aired I thought that would be his goal. I also think that his main reasoning was exactly what he said it was, turning this play into something that could actually get him into school of his choice. I also think it's funny how it never crossed his mind to actually talk to Becky about it. I mean, she probably would have been understanding and more than happy to help him turn it into something amazing. So why he didn't decide to do it the easy way? Because he's Eli and he enjoys having a rival more than anything else. And thank God for that because I can't wait to see more of those two in action.

And yes, Becky is an extremely important character. I know people like her, I have friends who have the same beliefs. It always bothered me that Degrassi never thought to introduce such character to the show. You know, a good person, who was simply too afraid to even try to understand the other side. I have sympathy for her character because I believe it must be difficult to be facing something that challenges her beliefs. It's easier to keep distance because then it's easier to be "right". There's no one to show you that your perspective might not be so clear, that you have been mistaken. It's easier to believe it's wrong from afar than to get close and start questioning beliefs that you lived by your entire life.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top