Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Little Miss Sunshine (Becky Baker/Sarah Fisher) #1: She will save our soul- and damn it, we're going to like it!

Yep, this is preemptive strike for a character that I suspect will not get the best reaction from many in the Degrassi fan base. She'll get some support here.

Discuss all things Becky and Sarah here, and in the mean time, a few things of note....

Becky is bright, bubbly and enthusiastic. Raised a conservative Christian, Becky always puts family first. She loves musical theatre, and singing in the church choir. She knows not everyone will agree with her traditional values, but that doesn't mean she's afraid to stand up for her beliefs.

Becky on Twitter

Sarah Fisher joins Degrassi in its twelfth season as the religious good-girl, Becky Baker. As an Actress, Dancer, and Singer, Sarah has performed in musical productions of Wicked, Mamma Mia and Grease. When she isn't acting, Sarah also models with Elite International Models.

Sarah on Twitter

Sarah sings...

And she has a website with a section on Degrassi, in which she posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Fisher
Hello Everyone!!
Thank you so much for all your Tweets. I love hearing from all of you.
We’ve had a blast filming and we’re so excited for all of you to see season twelve!! The scripts are crazy, just when you think you’ve got it figured out things change and you can’t believe what just happened. It is going to be a crazy time at Degrassi! Becky is a handful!

The people at Degrassi are the best!! The staff is wonderful and the cast members are just the greatest. I love getting up for work every day. Even the 6:30 am calls are fine. This is so much fun, what a great place to work!!

This August a bunch of us are going to the Busua region of Ghana as volunteers to build a school house. It is a great opportunity to give something back. When you see what the kids in that region call a school you would not believe it. I’ll post some pictures when I get back. Hoping to meet lots of people and make new friends.

Get ready, season twelve starts July 16th!!
Supporters
1. JustMe2000
2. Nekoshoujo

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar

Last edited by JustMe2000; 07-19-2012 at 03:50 PM
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

You know how we were talking in PM about fears of the fan reaction and I mentioned that I wonder if the writers intend for her to be a representation of that Florida Family Association? And where is Becky from? Florida. I don't know if there is anything to read into that or not. I get this feeling that Becky is going to learn to be more tolerant towards those with different beliefs. Is this a lesson for the FFAIL group?
Old 07-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Addicted Fan

You don't even know how close I am to making an icon out of the screencap below and defending Becky's every action for the rest of the season no matter what she does. I am that determined not to let Degrassi manipulate me into hating her.

Due to my extreme laziness I am going to c&p what I wrote in the episode discussion post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellifluouscloud (View Post)
I'm not sure what they're trying to accomplish with Becky. Based on our first impression of her (above) and the character description, it seems that Degrassi's goal is to create a caricature, not a character. My understanding is that she's supposed to be an ultra-conservative close-minded Christian and therefore (I assume) pisses everyone off. She enters the Degrassi universe with a high-pitched squeal of a greeting and is such a ditz that she needs someone to show her to class. I am very wary of whether or not she'll be humanized or if she's just a device to cause drama. She seemed like a very caring person at the party, yet I was baffled by the reaction of Adam and the others when she wanted to -- GASP!!! -- donate the uniforms to charity. Oh my god, Becky, you are such a bitch, wanting to donate clothes to the less fortunate. Or at least Adam et al seem to think so. What exactly is the message here? I'm still assuming Becky will turn out to be a stereotypical crazy Christian, which is really frustrating, because Degrassi used to avoid stereotypes. Plus, they already did the "closeminded Christian redeems herself eventually" storyline with Darcy (is this episode meant to be an homage to Darcy's great moments?!) and probably should have gone this route with Clare, too, but it wasn't convenient to her love life, so that fell by the wayside. Nonetheless, I'm determined to like Becky because I feel like the show wants me to hate her. I refuse to believe that anyone is that one-dimensional.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:34 PM
New Fan

Since Degrassi wants me to hate her so much I'm probably going to end up liking Becky, or at least try to understand whatever she does from her point of view. I don't mindlessly hate most characters.
Panda Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I am completely on board with let's love Becky because Degrassi wants us to hate her so much. This whole stereotype is silly.

Also team donate clothes, not burn them!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:57 AM
Master Fan

I already love Becky. She's so over the top it's perfect.

And Sarah is just wow. I mean I can't even explain how beautiful she is.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Addicted Fan

SHE IS SO CUTE IT'S A LITTLE UNBEARABLE. I'm seriously pissed at the lack of Becky in part two.

I made these originally for Tumblr but decided I hated the coloring so I'll just post them here instead~

I love how she sneakily places her hand on Clare's shoulder. I predict a Blare shippers thread in the near future.

She is so precious, omg I can't deal.

Oh and I found this on Tumblr and I am like crying over her beauty.

SHE LOOKS LIKE LANA DEL REY. I think Degrassi tried to make her "ugly" for the character and they are failing miserably~
Old 07-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Master Fan

lol I know Sarah has such a perfect face. I don't think they tried to make her ugly though. I think they were going for simple maybe to counteract her loud personality?

And Becky's "real" intro is tonight. I can't wait to see how she clashes with Eli.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

From the look of it, things will change tomorrow.....but score one for Becky tonight in the little Drama Queen vs Drama King battle.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Master Fan

Congrats Becky, you might just be the first person to win against Eli in a battle of wit. I like that Becky is standing her ground. She's not stupid, she knows when to hold your hand and when to show your cards.

I'm also hoping that Imogen's excitement about the musical eventually leads to a Becky/Imogen friendship. I'm all for that kind of sunshine and rainbows.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Addicted Fan

I want Becky to be friends with EVERYBODY. I also have a feeling that Becky would, at the very least, pretend to be friends with everybody. I love how she got that little glint in her eye as she was circling Eli, like she got a rush out of taking control.

Also I can't even explain how delighted I feel every time Becky opens her mouth.

Eli inadvertently came up with the most perfect nickname... Little Miss Sunshine! I love it. Can that be added to the thread title?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellifluouscloud (View Post)
I want Becky to be friends with EVERYBODY. I also have a feeling that Becky would, at the very least, pretend to be friends with everybody. I love how she got that little glint in her eye as she was circling Eli, like she got a rush out of taking control.
That was great! She's clever and she knows it. I do think that Becky sincerely wants to make an effort to befriend everyone but if you cross her...

Quote:
Eli inadvertently came up with the most perfect nickname... Little Miss Sunshine! I love it. Can that be added to the thread title?
I second that!

And can we have a list? And can I be on said list?

Tomorrow's episode is going to be a big test though. I've been okay with the idea of her being homophobic because honestly people are but it can also be quite the trigger so I'm curious how far this is going to go.
Spoiler:

I'm also curious if we'll see her interact with Clare. Seemed like Clarebear was sticking up for her a bit tonight...
Old 07-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoshoujo (View Post)
Tomorrow's episode is going to be a big test though. I've been okay with the idea of her being homophobic because honestly people are but it can also be quite the trigger so I'm curious how far this is going to go.
I guess I'm not too concerned because Degrassi characters have been redeemed from much worse. As far as homophobia goes, look at Drew, and Owen, and Spinner (repeatedly), and Alex, and Bianca... the list goes on and on. All of those characters made hateful and ignorant comments. Alex outed Marco at a school assembly and said it was better to be a freak than a "queer." A season later, she was an out and proud lesbian.

Quote:
I'm also curious if we'll see her interact with Clare. Seemed like Clarebear was sticking up for her a bit tonight...
I'm telling you, Blare is happening!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Regarding a change of heart storyline with Becky...
Spoiler:

Added Little Miss Sunshine to the title (it is a great name for her) and added a supporters list as well- which has room for plenty more members.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Addicted Fan

for title change!

Why am I not on the list of supporters?!
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top