Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Episodes 1213/14 (Rusty Cage) & 1215/16 (Never Ever) Discussion - 8/6-8/9

Important -

Everyone here is well aware of the episodes leaking. Please be advised that no matter when the episode becomes available in other outlets, until it actually first airs on television, it's against rules to openly discuss the details of the episode in any form here or anywhere else on this board. Please remember, that the main reason for this rule is for the consideration of other posters who either can't or choose not to view the leaked episodes prior to the 9:00 PM ET airing on Much/TeenNick. For further details on the spoilers rules here at and how they apply to this board specifically, please visit our spoilers policy thread.

1213- Rusty Cage, part 1, August 6, 10:00 PM ET on MuchMusic and TeenNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuchMusic
Cam needs a break from hockey, so he blows off practice to hang out with Maya. K.C.'s dad is release from jail, but is he ready to have him back in the picture? Fiona's loft is a disaster, and she blames her new roommate -- Drew.
1214- Rusty Cage, part 2, August 7, 10:00 PM ET on MuchMusic and TeenNick

Quote:
Cam struggles to live up to everyone's expectations on the ice. K.C. wants his dad out of his life -- even if it means doing something drastic. Drew and Fiona try to work out their differences

1215- Never Ever, part 1, August 8, 10:00 PM ET on MuchMusic and TeenNick

Quote:
Imogen designs an elaborate set for Romeo and Jules, and reaches out to her estranged mother for the money to build it. Meanwhile, Becky interferes with ticket sales.
1216- Never Ever, part 2, August 9, 10:00 PM ET on MuchMusic and TeenNick

Quote:
Imogen worries about her dad's strange behavior. Becky bonds with Adam without realizing that he's transgender. Katie and Jake realize they have feelings for each other -- but where does that leave Mike Dallas?

Last edited by JustMe2000; 08-08-2012 at 06:57 PM
kaleidocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

OMG! Dallas/Katie/Jake are gonna be in some sort of triangle now...is that what everyone else is getting from the episode descriptions, too?

{taek su mi sun}
fall into your smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

When I saw Dallas's name in the write-up that surprised me. I guess the show always has to have some kind of a third party involved with a potential couple.

Thanks for starting, Nicole.

Soundgarden and All Saints? Those two are on about as opposite ends of the musical spectrum as one can get.

One of these songs is on my iPod, and somehow I'm thinking most of you can figure out which one.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

Based on the US promo for this week it looked like Dallas and Katie were going to go head to head over something and now the MuchMusic promo shows a triangle...? How are Dallas and Katie going to go from fighting to being love interests...that's what I want to know. I'm so very confused right now.

{taek su mi sun}
Old 08-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Master Fan

^ I think it will be the other way around? From involved to enemies which is very odd because as we stand Dallas has made it very clear that he is no fan of Katie Matlin.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Extreme Fan

I'm sorry, I love that All Saints song. More teen pop song titles please! Where's "Tearin' Up My Heart?" "Baby, One More Time?" "God Must've Spent A Little More Time on You?"

...well not that last one. I'll take Hanson/Spice Girls.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Addicted Fan

Season 13 titles should be entirely pop princesses and boy band songs.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

^ Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoshoujo (View Post)
^ I think it will be the other way around? From involved to enemies which is very odd because as we stand Dallas has made it very clear that he is no fan of Katie Matlin.
That's where the confusion sets in for me. I guess, I'll just have to wait til' Wednesday and Thursday's episodes to find out.

{taek su mi sun}
Old 08-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Quote:
Yeah? I must have missed this big development when I skipped out of last week's episodes. I can't say I'm too hung up on the details when we have Drew and Fiona as roommates. That is a big head scratcher. But I guess when they both won't be graduating high school until they are 20, what the heck right? Big downgrade from Mr. Tuxedo Pants.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Addicted Fan

Hmm... guess this episode felt more like a set-up for part 2 than anything else. It was good but I feel like I need to see tomorrow night's episode before I can fully digest what happened.

Cam: I love him more every episode. His videochat with his mom was really sweet. Maya annoyed me a little in this episode because it seemed like she really wasn't paying attention to what Cam was saying or feeling. Still, I appreciate the realism of their relationship so far. Regarding the hockey team, Dallas continues to be compelling and Luke continues to be a total ass.

KC: Uh... this storyline confused me more than anything because maybe I wasn't paying attention but I never thought KC's parents had an actual relationship. And I certainly never thought they continued to have a relationship while he was in prison. It's so weird to see KC in a family unit. I liked that he flipped out over the wine... it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

Fiona/Drew: Ugh this plot was a mess. I demand to see their lease agreement. I really need to know how much Fiona is charging him for rent, and how much her mortgage is, and where her income is coming from, and how much Drew is earning at his fancy mall kiosk job. Crunch those numbers, Degrassi. And I'm sorry but Fiona has become so unlikeable since mid-season 11... it's really sad how far she's fallen.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Master Fan

Despite feeling like set up Cam's plot and KC's plot were really emotionally satisfying to me. Yes they felt like set up but at the same time I enjoyed the pacing. We're looking a two boys with these relationships in their lives that could be really, really good things or they could be terrible things: Cam's relationship with hockey and KC's relationship with his father. I guess why I liked the "set up" of the episode is that neither of these things is new to either boy but they're new to us. We're kinda playing catch up in regards to the role that hockey has played in Cam's life and what his father has played in KC's life. I'm sure without a doubt that they are both things these boys once loved deeply and now it's a matter of has that love become toxic? Is KC's need to give his dad a second chance going to screw up what's good in his life? Is Cam's talent going to take away any chance at being truly happy?

If I had to predict, I'm guessing by the end both boys will do what they need to in order to have the lives that they want. But that probably means two very different things for both of them.

Quick notes:
- They showcased my two favorite friendships tonight: Niners group & Kianca. Please, writers more of both!
- Cam/Maya is really winning me over. I don't think Maya understands the depths of the pressure Cam is facing but I also didn't mind her reaction to it. I think she just wanted him to have some fun because look at the kid, he's like an unwanted puppy sitting in a cardboard box by the side of the road. Also their duet was adorable!
- Nice work on the ice, Dylan!
- This episode featured fans as extras in the stands! Tomorrow I'll be re-watching looking for familiar faces
- KC's reaction to the wine! Great. It's amazing to see where KC/Lisa started and how close they've become. Always great stuff

As for the C-Plot. um.... I dunno I'm a bit tired of Fiona and Drew right now. Both used to be such overwhelmingly complex characters and now? They're a little on the dull side. Overexposure is probably to blame. Drew's had a plot every week all summer long. And Fiona? I don't think holding her back a year has done anything for her character except make her a shadow of who she used to be.

One shining star in all of this? Got a little set up for Imogen.

I don't think Fimogen has the best chemistry on the show certainly not when compared to some of the other current couples. But I admit the tickle fight was cute. My advice to the writers? Lay off the Fiona plots. Let Imogen take the lead from now on and use Fiona to support her plots. It's Imogen's senior year too and we've barely seen anything from her perspective. Let's try something fresh, please!

Last edited by Nekoshoujo; 08-06-2012 at 08:49 PM
Nekoshoujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:21 AM
Extreme Fan

Well, looks like for this episode we're back to the "Part 1 - Setup, Part 2 - Everything else" deal. I'll cut the writers some slack, they've been balancing these episodes out more and more as they got better at them.

A-Plot. Poor Campbell. We kinda started off jerkily with him with the fanbase wondering about his freakout, but everything is falling into place and we get much needed perspective. He's lonely, an outcast on his team. He used to like hockey I bet but his talent carried him further and dumped a whole lot of pressure on him, and he no longer enjoys it. He has bad anxiety (I don't think his reluctance for the karaoke thing was just to avoid being caught by the hockey team, speaking of which I actually thought he would get away with it. D'oh.) and being a huge focal point of the Ice Hounds triggers it badly. No wonder he was ready to jump in part 2, he must feel there's no escape. Nice scene with his mom, but even she was expecting him to be a hockey star.

B-Plot. So far, one of my favorite scenes this season was at the mall with KC and his dad, coming to an understanding about their failures as fathers. Very sobering. Each saw a little of themselves in each other. KC's dad seems like he's changed, I hope KC comes to trust him more.

C-Plot. Was kinda there. Nothing bad. I liked Fimogen, can't wait to get this week's later Imogen episodes. And really hope there's some sort of fallout with Drew's family about him moving out. I cannot imagine Mrs. Torres being remotely okay about her son moving out even if he dropped out of school and can't stay at home. And Drew's plan has to blow up in his face sooner or later. I mean, he's working at a mall kiosk.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

I feel so bad for Campbell. Being away from home is hard enough, but he also has to deal with being the youngest player on the hockey team which means he has to endure tons and tons of teasing from the older players. I'm just happy that he now has Maya to keep him grounded to his non-hockey part of life. Tonight in Part 2, I fear for Campbell seeing as if in the promo he's about to jump or contemplating it. I really hope he doesn't go through with it. It's not the answer to solving his problems. They'll still be there when he recovers if he does end up jumping.

{taek su mi sun}
Old 08-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellifluouscloud (View Post)
Season 13 titles should be entirely pop princesses and boy band songs.
You don't know how close I came to removing Live to Tell from the Episode Survivor just for that.

And on to the episode.....

-Kapuskasing- looking on a map, it definitely seems to be in the middle of nowhere, although perhaps our Canadian friends could give us some details to suggest otherwise.
-Props for giving us a scene with Cam's mother. That genuinely surprised me. Now, maybe the show can show Connor video chatting with his parents?
-I liked that in this episode they showed the physical effects of playing hockey. That was something I thought was missing in some of the earlier episodes.
-Cam: "If you couldn't do the thing you had trained your whole life to be good at, what would you do?" Tristan: "Keep my stick on the ice?" Oh Tris....
-"How is there so much barf in such a little dude?" Luke with his personal highlight moment of the season so far.
-Will we ever meet the hockey coach?
-I Believe in a Thing Called Love? Couldn't they find a nice little Canadian song for them to sing? Like Tom Sawyer?
-Maya doesn't seem like the karaoke type to me. Actually, the whole episode she seemed a little more....bubbly, almost kind of like she traded dispositions with Tori. Or borrowed, as Tori seemed like her normal self. Oh and I do agree that she doesn't have a clue as to how much pressure he feels. Ironically enough, her sister might be one of the few characters who might be able to understand it.

-"College Boy" Another point off for the Canadians concerned about Degrassi becoming too "Americanized" On the other hand, they should get that point back for KC wanting to go to UBC. And for once, they actually used a real Canadian university.
-The scene with KC and his father talking about their failures as a father was a strong one. Much was said there, without a lot being spoken.
-Was KC's father an addict or just a dealer? I'm confused about the relationship between his parents? It seemed odd to me that they would go back into couple mode right away. I get that she's lonely, but still that just seemed a little weird to me.
-I did like the way KC freaked out over the wine. I think it highlights just how much of a tightrope he and his mother have to consistently walk, even though they've probably settled into a "comfortable" mode. At least before his father showed up and changed things, whether for good or bad.
-KC's father got a job at "a family restaurant, one of those big chains." Kind of like what I'm guessing Little Miss Steaks is supposed to represent?

As for the other plot, not much say, except I agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellifluouscloud (View Post)
Fiona/Drew: Ugh this plot was a mess. I demand to see their lease agreement. I really need to know how much Fiona is charging him for rent, and how much her mortgage is, and where her income is coming from, and how much Drew is earning at his fancy mall kiosk job. Crunch those numbers, Degrassi. And I'm sorry but Fiona has become so unlikeable since mid-season 11... it's really sad how far she's fallen.
And this:

Quote:
Overexposure is probably to blame. Drew's had a plot every week all summer long. And Fiona? I don't think holding her back a year has done anything for her character except make her a shadow of who she used to be.

One shining star in all of this? Got a little set up for Imogen.

I don't think Fimogen has the best chemistry on the show certainly not when compared to some of the other current couples. But I admit the tickle fight was cute. My advice to the writers? Lay off the Fiona plots. Let Imogen take the lead from now on and use Fiona to support her plots. It's Imogen's senior year too and we've barely seen anything from her perspective. Let's try something fresh, please!
Oh and my wonderful co-Moderator suggested the perfect name of Dumb & Dumber for Drew & Fiona. And after last night, I think that's probably the right order of sequence for that pairing.

Overall, yeah, this was a lot of setting up for part two, but in the KC and Cam plots, at least, I think they gave us a lot to look forward to.

Cam- 42
KC- 39
Kevin Guthrie- 27
Maya- 25
Fiona- 23
Imogen- 16
Luke- 16
Dallas- 13
Lisa Guthrie- 12
Mrs. Saunders- 12
Bianca- 9
Drew- 8

Cam- 32
KC- 32
Maya- 32
Fiona- 30
Drew- 17
Jenna- 17
Dallas- 16
Imogen- 14
Lisa Guthrie- 10

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar

Last edited by JustMe2000; 07-11-2013 at 05:45 PM
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Loyal Fan

Overall, I didn't like how most of the episode felt like a set-up, like most people said. It felt like things were going too slowly in the A and B plots.

A Plot: It was nice seeing things from Cam's view. I like how Maya didn't realize his issues, because that would have been unrealistic. I'm glad the show hasn't made Maya try to save Cam. I dislike how the show keeps making Dallas go from being the resident jerk to being someone who cares about his teammates.

B Plot: I thought that the pacing was weird. I don't have that much to say about it, other than I hope that things work out for everyone by the end. I'm glad the plot wasn't just "KC feels awkward because his dad works with him at Little Miss Steak's". I think Boy Meets World covered that with Shawn and his dad in that one episode where Chet became the school janitor. Not the same thing, but still.

C Plot: Degrassi officially beat Friends for most unrealistic living situation. It's ridiculous how Drew moved out/dropped out because of senioritis. And what's worse is that the show isn't portraying Drew's dropping out as a complete mistake. Other times on the show, if a character does something wrong, the show makes no effort in hiding how wrong they are (When Alli ran away, When Emma smoked pot), and they make sure the character gets an anvil dropped on them before the episode ends. But with this situation, it feels like the writers are thinking "Well, it's not the worst thing someone could do". I wish the writers could retire him for a while.
But back to this episode. I like how the writers are foreshadowing for Imogen's plot, but not much else. I wish the writers would stop using Fiona so much, as well. Especially if her love interest has a lot of potential left, unlike Fiona.
Shiny Shinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread