Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I loved the a-plot. It was very interesting to watch all those close to Alli give their opinion about what she should do. I'm a bit concerned that she is actually doing what she wants, if she was pregnant or not. It seemed Mama Bhandari eased her worries and I feel fairly confident in believing that Alli was building up her pregnancy fears to deal with anxiety she has about leaving home. Their scene was so touching. A small moment I loved was when Dave came over, a bundle of emotions after hearing that Alli might be pregnant, and Mr. Bhandari cheerfully greets him. Poor guy must have wanted to run out the door.

Ugh, I don't want to have to say goodbye to the Bhandaris. ALLI BHANDARI CANNOT GRADUATE.

I think I might have missed something however. Was there any follow up to Jenna after Mrs. Bhandari reemed her out over the pregnancy test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaJ (View Post)
B-Plot: The Snake/tomato scene was so purposefully meant mirror the Emma/Raditch scorpion DNA scene back in season 2, heh.
I was giddy over this. Only Jake's tomatoes are all deliciousness without scorpion DNA. It was kind of surreal flashing back to Fight For Your Right though. The night before Emma's presentation Snake was coaching her on her presentation with Principal Raditch and now he's behind the desk. Crazy.

Anyway I really liked this plot, along with the others. Going into the episode I was worried that the Edwards would be in it and inputting their opinion on Jake's choices. I'm not a fan of that blended family so I was relieved. It's awkward for me to watch Jake and Clare interact without being awkward and have seemed to blend seamlessly into step-siblings 5 minutes after the dramarama of last season and I'm never going to see them as that. So I enjoyed it just being Glenn and Jake. It seemed like there was some hints of worry that Jake feared he was being left behind in this new rushed family, which is understandable. I'm happy that it will always be Martin and son construction.

I think I missed some details however. Do they get to keep the greenhouse? That is actually an awesome idea and they could get other students involved for a club and/or classes.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:00 PM
New Fan

Tidbits:

- Scene with Zig's mom and Tori was great. Zig's actor still needs to figure out where that emotional balance is. I could imagine a conversation between Zig and Katie...like two walls in a friggin hallway just staring at each other.

- As demonstrated by Bianca and Cam, the writers are really trying to mesh everyone again like they've done recently, and I love it! It still holds that feeling that these kids actually go to the same school. As for Cam's actual plot...well, it doesn't really feel like its reached a conclusion. Cam seems ready to take the next step into fully maturing. I like it. Granted, the whole stereotype of jocks being douchebags doesn't always apply, but in the cases where it does, there's always the one good guy who sticks out, and I think Cam's a good fit for that slot. (Oh and I want him and Maya together ASAP)

- I have absolutely no feelings towards the Fimogen plot. After watching the last 3 night's episodes altogether tonight, I don't even remember what happened in this plot. That's basically the full extent of my excitement level for this plot.

- Jake's plot was alright. I don't like the fact that they wrote him in to be the activist type...I've never been too fond of that group of people. I'm totally supportive of the garden idea and the rest of his ambitions, but he probably shouldn't be preaching his morals to randoms in the hallway. Anywho, being that this plot pretty much served as an excuse for Katie and Jake to become closer, I liked how it ended with Jake and his dad instead. Those father-son moments always hit home with me.

- Dave was great on Monday and Tuesday, but man, after Wednesday and tonight's episodes, I'm convinced that the writers really don't want anyone to ever like him. 99% of the time, you can understand where he's coming from, but it's just difficult to actually ever side with him, given his tone of delivery and tendency to constantly cross the wrong boundaries. The massive hypocrisy from Dave at the end of tonight's episode brought a chuckle out of me. As for Alli, I agree with everyone saying that she's not pregnant. It would be too recycled of a plot device, and the writer's seem to be a little better with fresh ideas lately. Also, I know it's always possible and could happen to anyone, but I already thought early graduation was pushing it. A scholly to MIT kinda made me want to flip a table though.
LsK101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

i liked the episode parts that I saw.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Loyal Fan

This episode was interesting. I don't think I enjoyed it as much as I should have, though, because Teennick's video wasn't working correctly.

I liked how Alli chose to follow her dreams instead of staying behind, although I'm really going to miss her at Degrassi. She was one of my favorite characters. I wish she could have told her mom about the pregnancy test once she realized she wasn't pregnant. I was surprised that Clare was there for Alli.

I thought that the Jake plot was pretty boring, and it's sad that this is probably one of his only plots before he graduates. I wonder if he's going to be in any scenes next year in the Edwards household.

Overall, I like how this season there are lots of characters in lots of plots. For example, even if I hate Dallas, he's been in practically every episode and has a personality, without even getting any actual plots for himself.
Shiny Shinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidocat (View Post)
It's awkward for me to watch Jake and Clare interact without being awkward and have seemed to blend seamlessly into step-siblings 5 minutes after the dramarama of last season and I'm never going to see them as that.
Ugh I have so many feelings about this. I still feel scarred from that scene in the premiere with Jake giving Clare advice about Eli. I need an avenue where I can properly vent/process my feelings on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Shinx (View Post)
I don't think I enjoyed it as much as I should have, though, because Teennick's video wasn't working correctly.
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! I watched the first 18 minutes last night and then the last 3 minutes this morning, and as I'm trying to reflect on the episode now I'm having a hard time remembering all the details.

But anyway. Probably the most interesting storyline in this for me was Cam's. I really hope that hasn't been "resolved" yet. I certainly don't feel like it was. I also hope they don't rush this thing with him and Maya or (god forbid) have him cured by love as Degrassi is apt to do, because I don't think social anxiety is something that just goes away overnight. Hope Cam gets an A-plot soon so we can explore this!

Dave pissed me off so much in this episode with the way he kept pressuring Alli and trying to guilt-trip her. That was awful. I've never been a big fan of their relationship because as others have stated, they are all drama all the time. She's smart to ditch him. You know I'm not sure the pregnancy scare was even necessary for their breakup. It seemed Dave would have been a jerk about Alli leaving for MIT no matter what. And this might have been a little OTT, but I was kind of hoping that maybe Alli lied to Dave about not being pregnant and planned to get a secret abortion. I guess that's pretty soap opera-esque but I thought it would be an interesting twist. On the other hand, hopefully we don't have to deal with their relationship drama anymore. (Alli don't leave!!! The show has to follow her to MIT! )

Jake storyline was... whatever. His quest to save the planet one soda can at a time was a bit grating. I mean there's a way to advocate for a cause without being obnoxious and preachy about it. Would the garden really have caused the roof to collapse? That sounded so out-there to me but I'm genuinely curious. Do we have any engineers or engineering students in this forum who can confirm/deny? (That's probably unlikely, but... you never know. )

Oh right I remembered one more thing about Jake's storyline that bothered me, which is this fallacy that everyone just HAS to go to college or you'll be throwing away your future. Degrassi really wanted to drive this point home, apparently. It's false. College is not the right choice for anyone. I don't understand why Jake's dad would want to turn him away from his passion just because of a socially constructed mass delusion that everyone needs a college degree. If Jake doesn't want to go to college right now, he shouldn't go! He can always change his mind later. He has a plan, so what would be the point of going? Why waste money on a degree he doesn't want or need? I think Jake would be much better off working with his father, maybe go to trade school for some real vocational training if he thinks he needs it, and then if he realizes in a few years that this isn't what he wants, the door to college is still wide open. It's not a necessity and it's not something he should feel obligated to do.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellifluouscloud (View Post)
Oh right I remembered one more thing about Jake's storyline that bothered me, which is this fallacy that everyone just HAS to go to college or you'll be throwing away your future. Degrassi really wanted to drive this point home, apparently. It's false. College is not the right choice for anyone. I don't understand why Jake's dad would want to turn him away from his passion just because of a socially constructed mass delusion that everyone needs a college degree. If Jake doesn't want to go to college right now, he shouldn't go! He can always change his mind later. He has a plan, so what would be the point of going? Why waste money on a degree he doesn't want or need? I think Jake would be much better off working with his father, maybe go to trade school for some real vocational training if he thinks he needs it, and then if he realizes in a few years that this isn't what he wants, the door to college is still wide open. It's not a necessity and it's not something he should feel obligated to do.
Really? I loved this aspect of the storyline. For me it made a lot of sense. I'm assuming that Glen didn't go to college and that he wanted more for Jake. That's how it sounded to me especially when Glen said Jake was too smart to get stuck in construction. It felt a little sad, did Glen once have bigger ambitions than to own his own construction company? I do think that when you come from this kind of home situation there is more pressure. My mom has a masters but she's only only one in her family who went beyond community college and even though I'm the youngest in my family I was also the only one who went to University. And I hated it. I still do even though I've switched schools a couple times. But I know how much it means to my mom so I'll keep going till I have my degree. And so I know what that feels like. But I can also see the other side of it. My mom managed to use college to get herself a better life and that's what she wanted for me too. And that's why Glen is pushing this for Jake. He doesn't Jake to get stuck.

Sure maybe it's easy for people to say "you don't have to go to college!" But as someone who doesn't want to go, I know that's not really true. Not when you don't have any other way to make a good life for yourself. And that can be scary especially for parents raising their kids.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Extreme Fan

^
While I thought it was very realistic (in a nice way) that Glenn wants Jake to have opportunities that he didn't, I agree with Christine about the iffy messaging. There are definitely careers that don't require a college degree, and college isn't for everyone. In this case it seems particularly true because Jake has the opportunity already lined up for him with his dad. If he had no plan whatsoever, it might be a different thing, but as is I think his decision is appropriate. (That doesn't mean I think his father is wrong to have him apply. It does make sense to keep options open before he makes a final decision. And it is also worth mentioning that I don't think overall Degrassi sends the message that you ahve to go to college, as seen with Spinner, Anya, Jay...and probably other people who don't come to mind)
Old 07-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Addicted Fan

See, the problem I had is we're talking about a construction company. It's not like Jake's dream in life is to clean toilets or something. Construction is a decent way to make a living! Especially if you run your own business -- it can be extremely profitable. I don't understand the "too smart" for construction argument because you have to be very smart to run a business, manage money well, hire the right people for the job, etc. But the bottom line is that Jake enjoys it, he's good at it, and he would be successful doing it. Why on earth would he trade that in for a college degree (which seems less and less worth the investment nowadays)?

That's how I feel about it, anyway. I just think it's silly for him to apply to college when he already knows what he wants and he doesn't need a degree to start doing it.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Master Fan

I'm not saying you guys are wrong. I personally agree with you. But the show wasn't saying Jake's plan wasn't right nor was Glen. Glen was simply representing the completely realistic view that many blue collar parents have in that they want their children to have more than what they have. That's idea is so ingrained in people from that background. It's the generation of you can do anything. They just want what's best for their kids.

And it's not like the show was saying it's wrong for Jake to stay home. They weren't saying that in slightest. In the end they make is possible for Jake to make that choice. Glen says it all in one line: "I don't want you close any doors."

Actually that line hit right on the money because that's exactly what my own mom says all the time. I think it perfectly sums up the blue collar perspective. We're seeing a man who wants his son to have the world and he thinks his son is better than what he has.

So I guess I'm not understanding why you would think Degrassi was trying to say you have to go to college. They weren't. At all.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Master Fan

*sigh* DP strikes again. I'm starting to think it's a problem with my laptop and not
Old 07-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Addicted Fan

I felt the show was endorsing Glen's view more than Jake's. Was it? Maybe not... it was just the feeling I got. And I'm not saying Degrassi is sending an irresponsible message or anything. By all means, go to college... if you want to, if you can afford it, if you feel it will be worth the investment.

Honestly I don't know what college education is like in Canada. Is it socialized? I guess that would make a difference. In the US if you go to a private university you will end up in so much debt and the loans you have to pay back are like mortgages. They're actually worse than mortgages because the interest rate is so much higher and you can never get rid of it. Even if you declare bankruptcy. It's awful. I just have really strong feelings about the whole "Everyone deserves higher education!" rhetoric we always hear. College prices are so inflated now and what's worse is we have so many graduates who are unemployed or underemployed and will never be able to repay that debt. In short, college degrees are becoming worthless. These are my personal/political views seeping in that have nothing to do with Degrassi, but that's why the storyline rubbed me the wrong way.

I think Jake is making a very wise business decision not to go college and I applaud that. And if he changes his mind and decides to go, then that's great, as long as it's his decision and not because he felt pressured or obligated. IMO.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Master Fan

well. I think that's an easy stand to take if you have other resources or live in the kind of place that allows you other options. mmm this is very political ground and it's something I'm very passionate about because of where I come from so I don't want to really discuss that here since it's not all that relevant.

I will say I'm 100% sure Degrassi was not endorsing Glen's viewpoint. And that Glen's view as well as Jake's were treated in a very realistic way.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoshoujo (View Post)
well. I think that's an easy stand to take if you have other resources or live in the kind of place that allows you other options.
Exactly. That's my point. I think Jake is making a good choice not to go because of his circumstances. He is very fortunate to have that opportunity with his father. Most kids aren't so lucky and a college education might be appropriate for them. It might be the only way to get a leg up. But there's a very real cost that comes with going to college which I think people tend to overlook, so no one should feel pressured or feel that their future is at stake if they choose not to go. Besides, there's no time limit on when you can go to school. Why make such an important financially-crippling decision at the age of 18? If Jake decides he wants to get a degree when he's 40, he can. When he's 80, he can. There's no expiration date!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Extreme Fan

Wow, it wasn't until know that I realised how much being a foreigner can influence your interpretation of the storyline. In my country higher education in public Universities and Colleges is free. It's also considered more prestigious and "better" than the one obtained in private Colleges. I suppose that's why Glen's argument made so much sense to me. I didn't consider the money issue at all. In my country the only real obstacle is age. You're welcome to study whatever you want whenever you want but younger people have priority and I believe that if you're older than 26, you're required to make certain payments.

Anyway, this was probably completely pointless I guess I'll need to re-think the plot keeping in mind the money issue.
necklace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Master Fan

^ Not totally pointless, Canadian colleges are far less expensive (for Canadian residents) when compared to US colleges. Like far, far less expensive. So I think you're perspective is actually closer than someone from the US.
Reply   Post New Thread