Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 10:52 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Episodes 1205/06 (Got Your Money) & 1207/08 (Say it Ain't So) Discussion 7/23 - 7/27

Important -

Everyone here is well aware of the episodes leaking. Please be advised that no matter when the episode becomes available in other outlets, until it actually first airs on television, it's against rules to openly discuss the details of the episode in any form here or anywhere else on this board. Please remember, that the main reason for this rule is for the consideration of other posters who either can't or choose not to view the leaked episodes prior to the 9:00 PM ET airing on Much/TeenNick. For further details on the spoilers rules here at and how they apply to this board specifically, please visit our spoilers policy thread.

1205 - Got Your Money, part 1, July 23, 10:00 PM ET on MuchMusic and TeenNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuchMusic
Zig tries to hide the fact that he's poor from Tori. When Eli shares his vision for the musical, Dave isn’t sure he has what it takes to play Romeo. Fiona returns to Degrassi, thrilled to see her girlfriend.
1206 - Got Your Money, part 2, July 24, 10:00 PM ET on MuchMusic and TeenNick

Quote:
Zig will do anything to impress Tori... even steal. Fiona wants Imogen to define their relationship: Are they a couple or not? The hockey team teases Dave about his role in the play.

1207 - Say it Ain't So, part 1, July 25, 10:00 PM ET on MuchMusic and TeenNick

Quote:
When Alli is offered a scholarship to MIT, her parents are bursting with pride -- but is it the right choice? Meanwhile, Jake decides college isn't for him. Mike Dallas pressures Cam to spend more time with his teammates.
1208 - Say it Ain't So, part 2, July 26, 10:00 PM ET on MuchMusic and TeenNick

Quote:
Alli makes a difficult choice about her future. With a little help from Katie, Jake tries to prove himself to his father. Cam snaps at Maya before a big game.

Last edited by kaleidocat; 07-21-2012 at 11:00 PM
kaleidocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:34 AM
Addicted Fan

Oh wow. This is my first time reading the episode descriptions. I'm really excited for the Zig storyline. Degrassi has not addressed poverty in a loooooong time.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Master Fan

Ugh this week is going to be good! I have to admit I like that writers are switching up the focused on characters each week. It makes the storyline flow better or at least that's what I got from week one.

This week Jake finally gets his own storyline, Zig's home situation is revealed, and Dave actually gets a plot not involving his love life? All things I've been waiting for~
Old 07-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

After seeing the extended promo for this week, I'm really excited to see what happens! It's going to be really intriguing to watch!

{taek su mi sun}
fall into your smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Extreme Fan

Never though this show would stay on long enough to use an Ol' Dirty Bastard (RIP) song.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

Sometimes I wonder if Degrassi will stay on tv for as long as some of the soaps for adults stay on...?

I'm really interested to see how this week plays out. Will it be better than last week or just as good as last week?

{taek su mi sun}
Old 07-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Extreme Fan

How do people feel about the new airing time? I don't really understand why Teennick would push it back, seeing as they have pretty much no other programming.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

I wish they'd air it at like 8ish because I always have other shows on/recording at 10, so I always end up having to wait til' Tuesday and Friday to catch up on the week's episodes.

{taek su mi sun}
Old 07-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Master Fan

Nice seeing the account tweeting through the episode

- I miss when Fiona was more interesting (and likable)
- Zori is adorable! I like that they're actually realistic. They feel like real kids in a real relationship.
- I'm already digging Zig and his mom. Really cool to see a new multicultural angle.
- Imogen's "It's a sign" was so awesome!
- Alli and Eli actually talked? And the world didn't end?
- I loved Alli's reaction to finding out Dave would be working with a guy. So excited~
- I liked that Eli admitted that he was trying to make a statement but I also felt like it came from a really honest place. I think Eli just hates injustice.
- WhisperHug might be my favorite Degrassi band yet. What a great, fun mix of characters. I love their song too. It's super cute.
- The bracelet was super cute. I think Tori would have LOVED it.
- Maya translating for Tori's silent treatment was so 9th grade. Again I think this batch of niners feel super authentic.
- Maybe it's my Zori feels but I just wanted them to just talk because I don't think Tori would care at all that he couldn't afford a big date. Guess we'll see how it goes in the next episode.
- FYI Zig never dine and dash when you know the waitress...
- Dallas is an ass but Demetrius is so good at playing him. He's almost a likable jerk... almost.
- Even though I don't ship Zaya, their moment was sweet.
- Fiona is officially vice now I guess. But I got spoiled on that so it wasn't a shock. I think Marisol could be good for Fiona. She could bring her back down to earth. The dance idea was actually really great.
- Eli was all kinds of win tonight. And he actually gives great advice? Reminds me of some of his great early moments.
- Happy Ending reference was expected.
- Dave... don't ever "play gay" again. Ever.

I hate to say I related a lot to both Zig and Imogen tonight. Ricardo did a really good job showing that pressure that comes with having friends with money. And I totally understand why Imogen was feeling overwhelmed. I hope we get to see a little of her perspective

edit: oh yeah and Eli's "the stuff" was so absurd that I loved it. "when you're saying the stuff" "the stuff" I'm gonna say that all the time now. Use it to annoy it the crap out of everybody I know.

oh and Becky's scheming... I loved it.

And Tori and Zig's kinda sorta I love you exchange was probably the most real "I love you" moment we've seen in awhile. Was it deep and meaningful? Nope. And that's why it worked so well.

Last edited by Nekoshoujo; 07-23-2012 at 07:54 PM
Nekoshoujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
How do people feel about the new airing time? I don't really understand why Teennick would push it back, seeing as they have pretty much no other programming.
Nick At Nite is running their own soap opera/drama Hollywood Heights from 9-10pm, and since both shows cater to the same audience, guess which gets pushed back? And are they seriously repackaging Beyond The Break? Yick.

So another good episode in a string of good episodes. I guess they changed out some of the writing team, the dialogue is better, everything is tighter, and not to mention a lot of characters are interacting with each other so I'm so glad they listened to the criticism about characters being off in their own little worlds.

A-Plot. Poor Zig. Ricardo Hoyos isn't the strongest actor, but his performance here was adequate plus we had Maya and Tori there to prop him up. I never had to go through this, but I'm sure that Lost and Found scene probably brought back memories for some of our posters. I'm not sure why Zig thought it was a good idea to dine and ditch with a waitress that knows them at school, but enh.

B-Plot. I don't think Fiona is being too pushy with Imogen, I just think she's a lot more comfortable with her sexuality (as you saw with the old lady on the bus who was like "OMG I need to get away from this chick") now as opposed to Imogen who loves Fiona but not sure of what she is yet. It's interesting, she's a complete eccentric character but not even she is immune to not caring what people would think of her or fears of being bashed. Fiona and Dallas's scenes were great, really fleshed out Dallas's slimy character.

C-Plot. I was wondering how they would address Dave's reaction to Tristan being his co-star. The character has really come a long way, but he's still a teenage boy. This is Dave we're talking about so he'll eventually do the right thing though. Tristan was glorious and his little parts ("I take offense!") and I see you Becky, trying to stir ****.

And I just realized Eli/Munro Chambers is like, short.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoshoujo (View Post)
Nice seeing the account tweeting through the episode
Hmm...I wonder how that happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoshoujo (View Post)
- Dallas is an ass but Demetrius is so good at playing him. He's almost a likable jerk... almost.
I think we as viewers have seen enough to see how much of a jerk he can be, but I also think they've done a good job of showing how he could be a good captain of a team and how he could get people to follow his lead. I'm impressed with what they've done with his character so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaJ (View Post)
And are they seriously repackaging Beyond The Break?
Huh? Did I miss something?

I'll write more later, but after what to me was a pretty disappointing end to last week, I thought this was a nice return to form. Enjoyed all the plots in this one.

Oh and I will say this right now, I loved Zig's friend.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Dedicated Fan

Zig and Tori's dilemma signifies the importance of communication. Zig's hesitance to be truthful to Tori is limited by Tori's unknowing materialistic comment. Tori means for Zig to not just wear the same style of pants everytime. However by connecting this to Zig's friend being poor, it seems to Zig as if Tori has a distaste for someone not having money. Zig's concern seems a misread but one can see why he would come to the conclusion. He is not helped as his friend feeds on Zig's fear and Zig's friends in the band are unable to process why Zig cannot afford something more. Interestingly, Tori seems to start getting an understanding (offering to go dutch on the meal) but Zig, at this point fearful he will lose Tori, cannot comprehend. It is a frustrating but realistic conflict. While Zig and Tori kiss at the end, they have actually taken a step back in their relationship and Zig has compromised his integrity.

Dave and Alli demonstrates Alli's continued insecurity in the romance. While she may kid around, there is an underlying seriousness to what she presents as joking around jealousy. It is only abated when Tristan is revealed to be the lead. We see a maturity with Dave as he attempts to figure out the part (learning the importance from Eli of transferrence when it comes to acting). However there is still a vulnerability there as shown in his last scene.

Fiona and Imogen may be plot C but their situation may be the most complex. Fiona is insecure about her romance with Imogen. She has not seen Imogen since the night of the kiss and is uncertain of Imogen's involvement. This is not helped as Imogen is not able to spend much time with her. The tension is heightened at the lockers. Fiona gives the back off speech to the flirtatious, smarmy Dallas. Because he does not back off, Fiona points out she is taken by Imogen. However Imogen is not alone with Fiona or around supportive people like Holly J. She has also not labelled herself. While Imogen is an iconoclast, when it comes to one's LGBTQ identity, there are those who are upfront about their identity and those who aren't as comfortable expressing their identity. It doesn't mean the former are 100% sure of their identity and it doesn't mean the latter aren't 100% sure of their identity. Imogen is just not ready at this point to put her self out there in front of these people she does not know.

This only serves to enhance Fiona's fear and Dallas immediately plays on this. The need of the heterosexist Dallas* to assert male dominance hints at his own insecurities but is also scary. One of the telling things so far among the jocks - Owen, Campbell, and Dallas is a need to show machismo. It may be denying one knows their own brother or knows a gay male. In Dallas, it takes a consistent need to verbalize every woman must want him.

However if Imogen is fearful of being completely out to everyone as being with a woman, Fiona makes her own mistake accepting Dallas's extortion. While Fiona sees it as a meaningless dance, to Dallas it is a come on. Fiona's concern should be talking to Imogen and reaching an agreement on their relationship. Imogen is in love with Fiona and does want to be Fiona's girlfriend. But Fiona needs to voice her feelings and Imogen needs to voice her fears.

Zig's character continues to suffer due to poor acting. This is a shame especially with Maya, Tristan and Tori all played by charismatic individuals. That said the actor is improving some and his story is compelling enough. I wish him and Tori had some chemistry. They look cute together but it just seems one sided (Steele seems like someone who can provide chemistry opposite anyone). Dave has long been one of the more insufferable characters but hopefully this season will mark a turning point. However the acting is solid. Fiona is played impeccably as usual.

*They have done a good job setting up Dallas as one of the most vile characters in Degrassi history. These type of individuals are the worst bullies in school - constantly belittling and insulting everyone while attacking everyone's sexuality. I see nothing at all likeable about him. He is a repugnant character and hopefully Degrassi will not shy away from the outcome and often tragedy such individuals cause to the lives of others.

Last edited by Inesal; 07-23-2012 at 08:28 PM
Inesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Addicted Fan

Dear Degrassi writers, I implore you: DO MORE EPISODES LIKE THIS. DO EVERY EPISODE LIKE THIS. IT WAS PERFECT.

I loved everything about this episode. It felt like old school Degrassi. Not even TNG but it had more of a Degrassi Junior High feel to it, and oh god I'm dying at how good that was. It's like Degrassi is getting back to its roots. This shows that you can have a thoroughly engaging episode without any kind of over-the-top drama or hijinks. Degrassi is the best when it's sincere and relatable!

All of the plotlines were handed with such beautiful subtlety and realism. Zig is breaking my heart. We needed that poverty storyline so badly and it was everything I could have hoped for. I loved seeing him at the convenience store and his interactions with his mom. I love how Zig went from the skateboarding kids from last season to a fully fleshed-out character in a matter of 21 minutes. I was sitting on the edge of my seat for that whole storyline. Can't wait to see the aftermath in part 2. You know Marisol's going to track him down at school.

I loved, loved, loved how they handled Fiona and Imogen. I have been so wary of them having a happy little love story so I was thrilled to see Imogen's discomfort and reluctance. Okay, that sounds cruel... what I mean is that this is, like Zig's storyline, REALISTIC!!! Of course Imogen is going to feel trepidation about jumping into her first lesbian relationship. OF COURSE Imogen doesn't want to put on a show for the hockey team. Of course Imogen is feeling all sorts of confused in general because this is so new to her. Once again Degrassi is deconstructing the awful fantasy land of the season 11 finale and bringing us back to earth in season 12. I would MUCH RATHER see this play out than be subjected to a happily ever after Fimogen love story.

And Fiona actually seemed like her old self. Loved the little interaction between her and Marisol -- they're almost friends now! I also appreciated her interactions with Dallas. He's such a pig, but I've probably met a thousand Dallases in my life and I'm sure I'll meet a thousand more. This is realism. His character is so fully-formed already, and I appreciate that.

And we addressed the fact that the hockey team is upset with student council because of Katie's selfish prank. THEY ADDRESSED IT. I can't believe it. Could this episode get any better?

IT DOES. THE DAVE/TRISTAN/ELI PLOT WAS PERFECT. I laughed, I cried... okay, I didn't cry, but I did laugh at something Tristan said that I don't remember. I loved Dave's discomfort, and then his SUPER AWKWARD attempt to be gay, and Tristan's advice, and Eli's advice, and Alli's reaction, and ugh everything. And Becky being a creep in the background!!!! Her dad is a minister! She hands out pamphlets!!!! Oh my god, this show. THIS SHOW. I can't even properly analyze what happened because I'm so excited about Degrassi being back. Like for real back. Not season 10 back, but more like season 3 back.

DEGRASSI I HOPE I NEVER HAVE TO DOUBT YOU AGAIN
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaJ (View Post)
B-Plot. I don't think Fiona is being too pushy with Imogen, I just think she's a lot more comfortable with her sexuality (as you saw with the old lady on the bus who was like "OMG I need to get away from this chick") now as opposed to Imogen who loves Fiona but not sure of what she is yet. It's interesting, she's a complete eccentric character but not even she is immune to not caring what people would think of her or fears of being bashed. Fiona and Dallas's scenes were great, really fleshed out Dallas's slimy character.
You nailed it. Neither Fiona or Imogen is completely at fault here. They both made errors (Fiona being cavalier about pronouncing Imogen's sexuality when Imogen is still coming to terms about being with Fiona; Imogen's "Ewwww"). As with the Zig/Tori plotline, the message is communicate. Both women need to talk. Same with Zig and Tori.

I love Fiona. What a wonderful character. The combination of her and Imogen is one of the better couplings the show has ever had.
Inesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellifluouscloud (View Post)
Dear Degrassi writers, I implore you: DO MORE EPISODES LIKE THIS. DO EVERY EPISODE LIKE THIS. IT WAS PERFECT.

I loved everything about this episode. It felt like old school Degrassi. Not even TNG but it had more of a Degrassi Junior High feel to it, and oh god I'm dying at how good that was. It's like Degrassi is getting back to its roots. This shows that you can have a thoroughly engaging episode without any kind of over-the-top drama or hijinks. Degrassi is the best when it's sincere and relatable!

All of the plotlines were handed with such beautiful subtlety and realism. Zig is breaking my heart. We needed that poverty storyline so badly and it was everything I could have hoped for. I loved seeing him at the convenience store and his interactions with his mom. I love how Zig went from the skateboarding kids from last season to a fully fleshed-out character in a matter of 21 minutes. I was sitting on the edge of my seat for that whole storyline. Can't wait to see the aftermath in part 2. You know Marisol's going to track him down at school.

I loved, loved, loved how they handled Fiona and Imogen. I have been so wary of them having a happy little love story so I was thrilled to see Imogen's discomfort and reluctance. Okay, that sounds cruel... what I mean is that this is, like Zig's storyline, REALISTIC!!! Of course Imogen is going to feel trepidation about jumping into her first lesbian relationship. OF COURSE Imogen doesn't want to put on a show for the hockey team. Of course Imogen is feeling all sorts of confused in general because this is so new to her. Once again Degrassi is deconstructing the awful fantasy land of the season 11 finale and bringing us back to earth in season 12. I would MUCH RATHER see this play out than be subjected to a happily ever after Fimogen love story.

And Fiona actually seemed like her old self. Loved the little interaction between her and Marisol -- they're almost friends now! I also appreciated her interactions with Dallas. He's such a pig, but I've probably met a thousand Dallases in my life and I'm sure I'll meet a thousand more. This is realism. His character is so fully-formed already, and I appreciate that.

And we addressed the fact that the hockey team is upset with student council because of Katie's selfish prank. THEY ADDRESSED IT. I can't believe it. Could this episode get any better?

IT DOES. THE DAVE/TRISTAN/ELI PLOT WAS PERFECT. I laughed, I cried... okay, I didn't cry, but I did laugh at something Tristan said that I don't remember. I loved Dave's discomfort, and then his SUPER AWKWARD attempt to be gay, and Tristan's advice, and Eli's advice, and Alli's reaction, and ugh everything. And Becky being a creep in the background!!!! Her dad is a minister! She hands out pamphlets!!!! Oh my god, this show. THIS SHOW. I can't even properly analyze what happened because I'm so excited about Degrassi being back. Like for real back. Not season 10 back, but more like season 3 back.

DEGRASSI I HOPE I NEVER HAVE TO DOUBT YOU AGAIN
I agree with all of this! Someone on twitter pointed out the junior high feel and I have to agree. And it's what this cast needed. Or what the writers need rather, to go back to that place and recapture the spirit of it. And it's just so much easier to connect to these characters when they're being so real and relate-able.

I seriously wonder if the writers sat down and marathoned S11, cringed a lot, and then realize they had to do something totally different this year. Whatever the case is... it's working!

And as cringe worthy as the Fimogen plot was for me, because it's so hard to watch Imogen in these relationships, it was realistic. And it does play so much on these feelings of confusion and discomfort. I know it's a long shot but I would love if part 2 switched to Imogen's perspective.

yeah. So I totally agree. I think we're in a new golden age for the show.
Reply   Post New Thread