Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Episode 919 Discussion- Keep On Loving You- 6/7- 9:00 PM ET (MuchMusic) & 6/13 - 7:00 PM ET (CTV)

You should've known by the tone of my voice, maybe
But you didn't listen
You played dead
But you never bled
Instead you lay still in the grass
All coiled up and hissin

Quote:
Friday, May 21st, 9:00 PM ET (TeenNick), Monday, June 7th, 9:00 PM ET (MuchMusic) & Sunday, June 13th, 7:00 PM ET (CTV)- Keep on Loving You

Holly J gets upset when Declan is unable to tell her he loves her. Blue decides to count the ceiling tiles in the M.I. Lab. (TV Guide)

Thanks to the Aces

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar

Last edited by JustMe2000; 06-07-2010 at 09:02 PM
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

"Boo Yah!" Jane

Old 05-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Master Fan

LOVED it!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

So as a full on Declan/Holly J lover, I enjoyed the hell out of this episode. I will fully admit that it was a pretty fluffy episode, especially for a season finale. All that said, I did like that for once the sex didn't seem to lead to other major issues (not yet, at least) and I liked how she, at least, reacted to him leaving. Oh and the way they were prepared for their first time rang true with the way these two characters (especially her) are.

I liked the call back to the Spin trying to get sick by drinking Terri's coffee and putting her straw in his mouth from way back in Season 1 A silly scenario for sure, but I still enjoyed it, probably in part because of that aforementioned call back.

I like the continuation of the Degrassi tradition of having the plot of the play being performed mirror what's happening with the main characters in the episode itself. Speaking of the play, when you've got high school students writing, producing, I expect it to be pretty crappy, so I was glad it was. Oh and Peter's "bad acting" will always make me laugh.

Also of note that will probably interest me and only me, the song Jamie sung was credited as being sung by "Peter Stone" while the song Jessica sang is actually one of her own that she co-wrote with (I'm assuming) her father.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Elite Fan

I got turned off by this episode five minutes in. They act like three months is this huge deal and that it's okay since she's on the pill. Couples like CrAsh, Palex, and even Jesse/Ellie knew each other a lot longer before they hopped into bed.

If I was her, I'd have gotten Declan tested. Birth control doesn't protect you from crabs, AIDs, etc. It's extremely important to know the sexual history of your partner, sixteen or not.

Plus she knew Declan was a manwhore. He slept with her best friend before they got together! They, of course, act like Jane didn't do anything with him, while the affair is swept under the rug. Great continuity there.

I just really didn't like the message it sent. I always recommend Felicity for sex partner testing, but I think I'll recommend the series 10 Things instead because it highlights it from a female POV. Also the original 90210 when Brenda asks Dylan to get tested. You just can't afford to not be careful anymore. Look at Paige/Griffin. Or Johnny/Alli. Or heck, Dwayne from the original.

This may've just been a lovey dovey episode, but sometimes love has consequences.

icon
Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Total Fan

I loved this episode!

I did think three months is a bit too soon for them to be having sex, but I liked that they approached it with maturity (the contraception, him not pressuring her).
Jane acting like nothing ever happened with Declan is bugging me a lot, I know they're going to have it explode in DTM but it's just ignored, feels like they've all forgotten about it. Oh well.
Every single Hollan J scene is amazing, the chemistry they have is perfect. I feel like they keep on getting better, and even though this episode was pure fluff, both characters are likeable and interesting, so they deserve to be happy!
Fiona is just weird. I liked her at first, but seriously, does she not have friends? It's not like she's cool and aloof, she just seems up herself, she thinks she's better than everyone else. Loved her interaction with Dec though. It's like he can see the real her, their bond incest is a nice part.
Glad Hollan J ended happily and now I can't wait for the movie. If I didn't like them though, I would have probably hated this episode (or at least felt indifferent)
B Plot was stupid as usual, Danny is such a jerk. Seriously cannot stand the guy. But Peter's growing on me. I love Peter the friend WAY more than Peter the boyfriend.

Annie & Mitchell
C l a i r e
ShineSoBright23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Elite Fan

While I did have some problems with the writing, I did want to come back and say that Charlotte Arnold delivered a beautiful performance in this particular episode. She'll probably be doing this the rest of her life. Just really talented.

But next time, writers, please have Declan whip out a condom. Guys have to share in the responsibility and protection.

icon
Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I found it hard to focus on this episode after the first five minutes, sorry. I'm sure it was fun if you are a fan of relationship drama or the couple involved in it. This was a pretty lackluster season finale but I guess it was just there as a bridge to the movie. I guess that's good that they tried to explain why everyone will be in NYC. Whatever. I was more excited for the carnival promo than this episode and absolutely thrilled for season 10 now. I'm glad it's airing so soon after the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberry (View Post)
Plus she knew Declan was a manwhore. He slept with her best friend before they got together! They, of course, act like Jane didn't do anything with him, while the affair is swept under the rug. Great continuity there.
I don't think Declan is a manwhore. It seemed like they introduced him that way with his involvement with Jane and how quickly he was to move onto Holly J, then we find out this whole backstory about broken hearts and cheating girlfriends. I'm not entirely sure what they are trying to do with Declan. Then again, maybe he is the bad boy/manwhore who was tamed by Holly J and fell in love (for reasons I'm not entirely sure of, TBH). I'm guessing this the angle is what the writers were going for. It's a bit of a cliche, but I don't blame fans for enjoying it. Everyone wants to be the girl who can turn a bad boy good (or so teen magazines used to tell me, I've never wanted to be this and I don't enjoy watching it on my TV screen).

I'm guessing if the actor ever decides to leave the show, Degrassi will use it's usual method of character slaughter and Declan's past will come back to haunt him and Holly J. Because who knows his sexual past and wow...he didn't use a condom? Uh oh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineSoBright23 (View Post)
Fiona is just weird. I liked her at first, but seriously, does she not have friends? It's not like she's cool and aloof, she just seems up herself, she thinks she's better than everyone else.
I don't think Fiona is weird. We can't all be alpha females with an A personality like Holly J. I think that she has a lot of social anxiety and is in general afraid to be close to people, possibly because her family moves around so much. Her and Declan use different behaviors to deal; he plays girls (or used to) and she isolates herself. I find this interesting. Unforch, season 9 did absolutely nothing for her character. She's just very isolated and under developed because the show doesn't throw her a storyline. But after the season 10 promo, I think that's about to change! Bring on season 10!
Old 05-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Her and Declan use different behaviors to deal; he plays girls (or used to) and she isolates herself. I find this interesting.
That's a very good point, and I agree had it been well executed she would be a much more interesting character. I really am looking forward to season 10 for her, it looks to be a big season in regards to bringing her out of her shell (or maybe pushing her further in if the abuse storyline is what we imagine it will be). Maybe the degrassi writers wanted to keep her in the background and use her as a prop for Riley and Holly J and Declan's relationship so when they do give her a big storyline we'll see a growth in her personality. Or, more likely, the writers couldn't be bothered and all but forgot about her

Quote:
wow...he didn't use a condom? Uh oh...
I hope there will be no consequences, it was nice that they finally broke the cycle of every girl having a bad first time. It's lovely to see it in a positive and mature way, with no pregnancy scares, rape, STDs etc.

Annie & Mitchell
C l a i r e
ShineSoBright23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread