Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Episode 909 Discussion- Waiting For a Girl Like You- Friday, Feb 5th at 9:00 PM ET on TeenNick

Maybe I'm wrong, won't you tell me if I'm coming on too strong
This heart of mine has been hurt before, this time I wanna be sure

Quote:
Sunday, Nov 8, 7:00 PM ET (CTV), Monday, Nov 9, 8:00 PM ET (MuchMusic) & Friday, Feb 5, 9:00 PM ET (along with episode 910, Somebody) (TeenNick)- Waiting For a Girl Like You

It’s Matchmaker week at Degrassi and Declan’s (Landon Liboiron) not interested in a serious relationship. But when he sets his sights on Holly J (Charlotte Arnold) as his next romantic victim, he is surprised to find she’s immune to his charms. Meanwhile, when Leia (Judy Jiao) corners Chantay (Jajube Mandiela) about her rocky relationship with Danny (Dalmar Abuzeid), Chantay is torn because she’s secretly liked him forever. (CTV Media)

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar

Last edited by JustMe2000; 02-04-2010 at 07:36 PM
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Part-Time Fan

I found this episode pretty boring, actually. But episodes that only focus on relationships generally are. While I generally like Holly J., she's definitely lost her edge. That was something I really liked about her too. It was nice to see more of Declan though.

The b-plot with Danny, Leia and Chante (A Chante plot? Shocking) was okay. It was nice to finally see Chante do something, but nothing about the plot really stood out besides the fact that all characters involved are hardly ever involved in plots. That's not necessarily a good thing.
bailamicorazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

As I mentioned in the other thread, it's very late so I'll post in more detail down the road. This was the weaker of the two episodes, but because I love Holly J and liked her and Declan together, I still enjoyed the episode.

As for the B-plot, that was okay. Danny and Leia was a pretty blah relationship but that was a rough way for her to have it end. The writers have done a very good job with Chantay this year, she's one of the most improved characters on the show.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Master Fan

Squeal! I know a lot of people want D:TNG to deal with issues all the time, but I just fell in love with the Declan/Holly J. pairing. I really didn't think they were going to go anywhere with it after seeing the promo on Declan or watching "Wanna Be Startin' Something" but I'm glad they did.

I was already looking forward to their interactions, but I got much more than I was expecting. Landon and Charlotte have such great chemistry. Everything seemed so natural for them even though their characters had only had one scene together before this episode.

I think Declan was initially attracted to Holly J. because he knew she wasn't going to be putty in his hands automatically. I actually felt bad for him when she shut him down at first. He actually seemed pretty heartbroken. In the end, I'm glad they actually went out on a real date and had their first kiss - it was just so romantic!

Considering all the couples on this show are now either boring or just uninteresting, this episode was really refreshing for me.

As for the B plot, I actually liked this one, too. It's finally great to see some Chantay at least. I loved the small Dave appearance too. He must be a great cousin to have. On the other hand, I was really disappointed about the way they handled the Danny/Leia relationship. They were seen hugging in "Just Can't Get Enough" Part 1 and "Wanna Be Startin' Something" something how come their relationship took a down turn so quickly? Lol at Leia for thinking dumping her boyfriend would get him to realize he would miss her. Seriously, come on now.

It was nice to see Chantay torn between being a good friend and hanging out with a guy she liked. I think the Chantay/Danny thing is kind of random, considering they've both been on the show for awhile and never talked before, but I'd like to see where it goes. Maybe they'll actually grow on me.
vivalalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Addicted Fan

I thought this episode was really weak. I actually feel the opposite of vivalalove -- I don't really think Declan and Holly J have much chemistry. I don't think they're any worse than the dozens upon dozens of chemistry-less pairings we've seen on this show before, but... I don't know. It seemed incredibly contrived to me.

At the same time, I really want to like them -- so badly -- since the two of them are my favorite male and female characters. I'm hoping they'll grow on me. I'm actually thinking it might have been Declan's borderline stalker tendencies that turned me off... I felt much more of a connection between him and Jane. Holly J could be with Spinner. It'd be perfect!

I agree with bailamicorazon that the episodes that focus on relationships tend to be pretty boring, and this was no exception. The B-plot was weak as well. I refuse to believe that Leia is that stupid... but... apparently she is. Oh well. I feel like this was the first time we really got to see Chantay, though, so that was good.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Absolute Fan

This wasn't the most exciting episode, but it was alright. I really liked what we saw of Holly J and Declan so far in this episode. I think they work well together and had good chemistry (and were SO much better than Declan/Jane). It was nice to be able to get to know Declan a little more too.

I didn't care for the B plot. I am glad Leila/Danny are over because I don't like her. Not that I am thrilled for Chantay/Danny, because I dislike her even more. Although I actually wasn't annoyed with her in this episode, but she wasn't that likable either.
LidelKewte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Master Fan

[IMG]Squeal! I know a lot of people want D:TNG to deal with issues all the time, but I just fell in love with the Declan/Holly J. pairing. I really didn't think they were going to go anywhere with it after seeing the promo on Declan or watching "Wanna Be Startin' Something" but I'm glad they did.[/IMG]

agreed.
yeah it wasn't exciting but it had me *squee*ing all day long. Honestly I prefer that to the "issues" a lot of the time.
MTG11687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:06 AM
Elite Fan

This was an alright episode, but I had some major issues with the logistics of this episode that I had to voice.

I'm sure they were just trying to do a cute plot with the babysitting business, but I hope to God no impressionable 14 or 15-year old watches this and believes this is how a baby-sitter/day care business is run. I mean, not only was it unbelievable; it was ridiculous.

First of all, Holly J/Charlotte didn't seem that engaged with the children at all. She was sitting on stage, being passive until Declan rolled on by. Look, I'm not the world's best child care provider either, but even I know that you can't just sit there. Meanwhile, a boy was rolling on the stage or on a step right behind her. I was terrified he was going to fall. She basically just barked orders at Clare and I'm hoping there were other workers around....

Who has a day care in an auditorium? Even Daddy Day Care, which really is just a cute movie and nothing else, brought up that you have to kid proof/baby proof the area. There's no way a school auditorium would've passed. We saw the backstage area in the very next episode. There's plenty of unsafe equipment kids can get their grubby hands on. The door wasn't closed. What if someone more sinister than Declan dropped by, and at night too? Any of the kids could've wandered outside. I can't believe this is the same show where they had J.T. propose a day care (which yes, would've had to have been constructed!) and had Liberty bring up very valid reasons on why that wouldn't fly. There's a reason why I've NEVER seen a day care in the middle of an auditorium. If you're going to do the storyline, be practical about it. I've certainly seen day cares within my school. There were quite a few teen moms around. But they were smaller with child proof construction. I can't believe a camera crew and the writers would think this was okay.

Or the recording studio, for that matter. Even on freakin' Glee, where we see the Glee kids everyday, they don't have that luxury. I'd like to know where that cash came from (the imaginary bank where Peter can open a club at seventeen with ease, I guess).

Maybe the writers need to flip through some Baby-sitter Club's books, because twelve-year old Kristy knew that an auditorium wasn't the proper place for multiple kids to be running around and rolling around on stage. Look, either drop it or do your research. I find it strange that you want to educate teens on different issues, but you drop the ball when it comes to younger childen. Please fix it. For real.

icon
Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I don't really have too much to say about this episode. Holly J/Declan are alright. :shrugs: Agree with those of you who found it boring.

Nikki. Haven't you realized that Degrassi is the most perfect school on Earth? A pool, a recording studio, and every sport team possible? There's a reason that the kids usually hang around a year or two from their original graduation date. Would you want to leave that? Next year they will probably have a coffee shop.

I can't even muster the effort to care about this show's realism sometimes so I just do a face palm and let the weird things like a baby sitters club roll on by. It's better than the whole Degrassi kids are celebrities angle.