Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Episode 815 Discussion- Touch of Grey- Friday 7/10 on The N

Quote:
Friday July 10, 8 PM ET on The N- Touch of Grey

Emma's (Miriam McDonald) tired of being referred to as Kelly's (Evan Williams) girlfriend and Blonde Emma - she's not even blonde anymore! Determined to create a distinct university identity, Emma borrows some pot from Kelly and smokes up with Becca (Nicole Dicker) and Gwyneth (Hayley Andoff). Emma wants to uphold her new stoner persona and shares pot brownies with everyone at the Floor Olympics event. But when campus cops raid the room, will Emma stand up and take responsibility or will someone else take the fall?

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar

Last edited by JustMe2000; 07-09-2009 at 10:11 AM
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:53 AM
New Fan

omg cant wait till 7:30!!
kukoo_bananaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Part-Time Fan

Just watched the episode. Here are my thoughts:
The constant use of "Blonde Emma"... forced much?
The whole plot seemed kind of juvenile.
Becca going to the hospital just seemed so over the top. I get that she forgot to take her insulin because of the brownies, but... this was the first time it's happened in years? From the beginning, I got the feeling that she's done pot before, I mean that's how this whole mess started... I just find it hard to believe (read: convenient) that all of a sudden, it goes horribly wrong.
Emma, once again, gets away guilt free. She never suffers the consequences for her actions. Even Kelly didn't hold it against her after he got kicked out of their residence.

The b-plot...
I guess this is KC's "dark secret/past"
It was nice to see KC get some development, and Connor and KC had scenes together which was nice, because it gave us a break from the usual Alli/Claire.
I think Connor is adorable.
bailamicorazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:47 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailamicorazon (View Post)
The b-plot...
I guess this is KC's "dark secret/past"
It was nice to see KC get some development, and Connor and KC had scenes together which was nice, because it gave us a break from the usual Alli/Claire.
I think Connor is adorable.
um i wuz looking forward 2 kc's secret past but it doesnt sound very "juicy" lol. PLZ PLZ tell me wat it is!
kukoo_bananaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Part-Time Fan

Does anyone have a link?
npdargy312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Master Fan

This episode wasn’t quite as bad as I thought it was going to be, but it still pretty much sucked.

I don’t really care about Emma and Kelly. They are kind of on the same level as other Emma relationships such as Emma & Peter, Emma & Damien, and Emma & Chris. I just don’t really care either way if they are together or not. So the fact that Kelly moved out but they stayed together is kind of whatever for me. My housemate and I were talking about it though, and it would be SO bad to get kicked out of residence. Where would you go? Your parents would totally freak. If you were caught with pot in res there’s no way you’d get kicked out, at least not at my university. Although that girl did get sent to the hospital so I suppose that makes it look worse.

Speaking of that girl, I feel like the writers were trying really hard to think of a negative consequence to doing pot and this is all they could come up with. LAME

One funny thing about this episode was that they used the exact same song that was playing when Paige and Alex got high.

As for the subplot, it was alright. It’s going to make KC even more popular with the new fanbase. He’s the reformed bad boy. The writers sure know how to court their young fans. I’m not sure if I really believe that KC used to steal cars or whatever, but I do find it interesting that he lives in a group home and has foster parents. I hope they go into that more later on. It does add some depth to his character at least.

Next week’s episode looks good though

People go here for degrassi downloads: Degrassi Downloads I'm just uploading the episode now and will post it there soon.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Elite Fan

You're not supposed to post episode links on here, for future reference.

icon
Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Part-Time Fan

Well I just finished watching the episode, but I kind of wish K.C. was given the A-plot so we could have mor eof a focus on him. I am so glad he finally had some character development, now we just need some for Blue, Chante, and Bruce and we will finally have some for every "starring" role this seaosn:p...oh wait Manny hasn't had any either, I find that incredibly shocking, but I know she has a large part in the finale so w/e. Now on to the episode!

A Plot- I found Emma smoking totally believeable but her "reinventing herself" is getting kind of old. I liked her friendship with Becca, I like her and I hope she is around next season. I felt so bad for Kelly when all he was doing was protect Emma...I wonder if they are getting a new roomate next season...

B plot- i love the fact that K.C. was a bad kid, it reminds me so much of Sean, but handled so much better. All seaosn the Writers didn't give us a hint that he was a bad kid, so I wa spretty shocked, but in a good way. I hope this rivalry he has with Reese continues next season, and I can see a love triangle with him, Reese, and Clair next season...am I the only one?

Oh and when I was watching it totally came to me that Next seaosn the focus will be basketball, just like how ALOT of the focus was football this season.

So overall I actually enjoyed it even though I honestly didn't think I was going to:p.
npdargy312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
If you were caught with pot in res there’s no way you’d get kicked out, at least not at my university.
My university WILL call the PoPo on you if you're caught with pot. That is something my university really wants stamped out completely. You'd probably wouldn't get kicked out of res or the school but an arrest and a record wouldn't make p for that.

Oh, the episode. The subplot was better and should've been the main plot. I like the idea of KC being a reformed badboy and should the show go on for longer, we'll probably see him struggle trying to maintain a good guy image and running from his past. With maybe a slip-up here and there. Kinda different than Sean and Peter. The friendship between Connor and KC was good and I just love the dynamic between all the Niners right now.

Okay, time for the college kids to go now. What's this, Emma's 3rd reinvention? I know that the show is exploring Emma wanting to branch out and meet new people and become something new but this has already been covered. Manny's pretty much done as a character and so is Liberty. Kelly I don't care about, really. The plot wasn't bad, I guess. Though smooth move Emma, passing out pot brownies at a floor event where RAs are sure to be present.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I went to college a million years ago and even then there was a pretty strict zero tolerance policy on illegal drugs in the dorm. About the only worse than that on the "no no" list was cheating.

Anyway, I'll agree with others about the subplot being a better plot to have as the main plot. I also liked that it focused on the KC/Connor friendship. In fact, I wish they had stuck with that and not reverted back to KC/Clare for the ending. They definitely left things open ended there and certainly seems like something that should explored more down the road. Hopefully that comes to be.

Oh and you gotta love those classic comfort Degrassi moments, like seeing Armstrong break up a fight between two guys on the basketball court.

As for the main plot, I love how they've kind of made Becca into a female University version of Jay. First she's there to help Liberty get drunk and streak across campus and now she's there to help Emma down the Mary Jane road. Your number is next, Manny.

I enjoyed that plot for the most part, though it really was something that could have been done in a smaller plot and probably been more effective. I do wonder if we'll see any fall out in the Emma/Kelly relationship from him getting kicked out. The show would actually impress me if the next time we see Emma and Kelly, they're still smoking and hanging out with their pothead friends. I'm guessing that won't be the case, though.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Absolute Fan

This was the worst episode of the season, IMO.

I do still love seeing the college kids and surprisingly I think that Emma and Kelly have pretty good chemistry but I don't like that they had Emma smoke pot just so everyone would "know who she is". It was so lame considering I could have seen her smoking it a long time ago. But my biggest problem with the episode was like what Oh-Canada had mentioned; the writers were trying WAY to hard to have to put in a negative consequence to smoking pot so they had to have that chick forget about her insulin.

The only time I would ever want to see pot on the show again is if they have it on there like they did when Jay and Alex were smoking together and they didn't make a huge deal about it or it wasn't the focus of the episode.

I agree with everyone that the subplot was better then the main plot. I loved to finally see and hear about KC's home life. And I like the KC/Conner friendship a lot.
LidelKewte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Elite Fan

My, that was a painful episode. I decided to watch anyway, because I always like seeing Liberty.

I don't really like any of these college characters that are the appendages of Emma, Liberty, or Manny. I don't dig their characterizations or their dialogue. A large part of why I didn't enjoy the main plot was because of the dialogue, which was kind of "wannabe hipster", faux-Juno/Clueless/insert witty teen comedy quirky. There's a way to do quirky college dialogue without it seeming dated or cheesy. I suggest the writers go sit in a college dorm or download episodes of Felicity.

Kelly and Emma have decent chemistry, but at the same time, I don't really care if we don't see him past this episode. I'd much rather be following Jimmy or Toby to college. There was a lot of talk about Emma just being Kelly's girlfriend, but really, I think it's the other way around. Kelly's just this well-liked guy with no substance who happens to be romantically interested in Emma. Eh.

I've always been very indifferent to Emma, except in her two-parters, which I think Miriam always handles very well. That said, after this episode, I totally understand why Emma gets bashed. The formula is ALWAYS the same. She feels inexperienced, she does something to show she's cool, makes a huge mistake, feels guilty, and does NOT get in trouble for it. That's a lot to swallow time after time after time. Because she doesn't get in trouble, it makes her less sympathetic and sadly I feel it makes the ep's message more hollow.

Since Degrassi does show the consequences of everything, I wasn't too put off by the demonization of marijuana. However, the whole pot brownies/Becca's diabetes/searching the room was over-the-top and also, as I said before, seemed a bit dated. There were really no twists that I didn't see coming, even Kelly's dismissal. Realistically, I don't think a guy would do that anyway. And how convenient that they caught him with the drugs as soon as he ran out. It was like oh yeah, here's something else we can do to nail in that pot's bad.

I did like seeing Liberty and Manny being very involved in the Olympics. It was cute, and at times, more interesting than whatever was going on.

As for the B-plot, pretty decent. Although I did laugh when K.C. threw down all the basketballs with a roar. I don't think I was supposed to. I think Connor's cute, but not knowing much about his parents bugs me. Clare looked really pretty in this ep, and she and K.C. are very cute.

icon
Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Banned

So Emma tries to shatter her good girl image AGAIN and doesn't get any consequences for her actions AGAIN. Yawn.

I'm more interested in KC.
basenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:38 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe2000 (View Post)
I went to college a million years ago and even then there was a pretty strict zero tolerance policy on illegal drugs in the dorm. About the only worse than that on the "no no" list was cheating.
Well at my uni, if you were caught with pot in residence you would definitely get in trouble for it. Your don would probably write you up and you'd face some sort of punishment. But I doubt you'd get kicked out. I know lots of people who have smoked pot in/around res and I've never heard of someone getting kicked out for it. Like even underage drinking in res, most dons just turn a blind eye. I remember mine was like "I know it's going to happen so just don't let me see it" because she didn't want to have to punish us for it.

Now if it was any drug other than pot that'd be a different story...
Old 03-21-2009, 09:51 AM
Dedicated Fan

Yawn. I'm skipping this ep...I downloaded it but I don't think I can sit through another Emma wants to be something else episode, though the B plot sounds more interesting. So I might watch it...ffwrd through the college part hah.

Why do they have to keep giving her storylines?