Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Episode 810 Discussion- Bad Medicine- Friday 2/20 (The N)

If for some reason this episode leaks before Sunday night, please refrain from posting spoilery details about it until after it airs on CTV. Otherwise, have at it.......

Quote:
Sunday, Jan. 25 at 7:30pm ET (CTV), Tuesday, Jan 27 at 7:00 PM ET (MuchMusic), Friday, Feb. 20 at 8:00 PM ET (The N) - Bad Medicine

Riley's the star of Degrassi's first ever football game win! Shep is floored at how much Riley's improved. Things seem like they can't get any better for Riley, except for the fact that he's keeping some serious secrets. Not only is he repressing the fact that he's gay, Riley is also using anabolic steroids. He uses them and girls to complete his "real man" image but when his social life leaves him unsatisfied, he is driven to take more steroids as an "antidote" to his gayness. With the steroids' side effects ramping up - Riley begins to lose his temper and acts out at school. Will he be able to maintain this straight jock persona he's created? Or will his efforts to be someone else lead him to crash into his true self and hurt the people he cares about?

Danny and Derek both have it bad for Leia, but how will that affect their friendship.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar

Last edited by JustMe2000; 02-19-2009 at 06:12 PM
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Part-Time Fan

All right, watched the episode about an hour ago but I couldn't get online so... -_-

My thoughts on the episode:
I actually really enjoyed it. In my opinion, it did feel a little rushed, and I also didn't like how at the end of the episode, Riley was like "I'm done with the steroids"... it felt too after-school special problem-resolved-in-one-episode. I feel like this could have been expanded on more and it could have been made into at least two episodes. There was Riley's paranoia, Riley's steroid use, Riley using Anya as his beard (and Sav getting angry about it), Riley talking to soccerstud online and meeting up with him. I actually thought the online stuff was a nice touch. While the episode did feel like it was a bit quick, it was still enjoyable. I realized just how much filler there actually is in an episode. o_o; I really like Riley as a character, and I hope he gets more episodes for his story in the future.

The Danny/Leia/Derek b-plot sucked, as expected. Derek came out in a not-so-horrible light for once, but still... I've never been a fan of the Websters, and I don't think I ever will be. Also, Leia is just so awkward to watch. I can't explain it. And her scene/kiss with Danny... no chemistry at all.
bailamicorazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Master Fan

I've been waiting for this episode for a LONG time and it certainly did not disappoint! I LOVED it!! It was a little rushed, but it wasn't as rushed as I thought it would be.

The best part about this episode was Argiris. He was AMAZING as everyone would expect. You would not be able to tell that this was one of his first acting jobs, he was just that good.

Of course there were a number of Piley scenes. All you Piley fans are going to love the last scene in the episode - it was so cute! Nothing to suggest that they are in love or anything, but lots of sweet friendship-y moments. As for that other guy Riley was involved with, I thought he was kind of creepy personally. It must've been so hard to cast for that part. It was neat how Riley seemed so scared yet so attracted to him all at the same time though.

I just love how the theme of hyper-masculinity/media pressure was brought into the show. We've seen a lot of the girls on the show feel like they have to live up to the media's ideal, but we haven't really seen that with a guy yet. So it was cool how they touched on that in this episode. Riley is trying SO hard to be (what he thinks is) the perfect guy. It's heartbreaking.

I also loved how paranoid Riley was acting, especially in the second half of the episode. He's absolutely terrified that everyone is going to find out that he's gay. I thought it was really realistic, and it definitely lays the groundwork for what could be an amazing storyline later on (come on writers...)

As for the subplot, the main plot definitely overshadowed it as everyone would expect. But I still thought it was quite good. I'm a big Leia fan. I think she's so cool. I loved the scene in the gym of her dancing by herself. I want to know why she quit ballet school now. It was also good to get an update on the status of Danny & Derek.

So all in all a great episode!

Last edited by Oh-Canada; 01-25-2009 at 06:21 PM
Oh-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I'll get into more detail later, but this was pretty good, with both plots being enjoyable.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Addicted Fan

I thought this episode was FLAWLESS. I can't even put my thoughts into words right now. The direction was beautiful; it was like watching a movie. Not a single moment was wasted. This episode really blew me away... by FAR the best one of the season so far!
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Extreme Fan

I actually didn't care for the montage, this episode didn't really need one. It smacked of "didn't have anything to write here, so here's some pretty photography."

Other than that, so far the best episode of season 8. THIS is how you introduce a character, I don't think we've had a really good character introduction since Craig back in season two. The subplot was good too, definite shades of reality with Danny not wanting to let Derek go yet.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Addicted Fan

Well, I already sad this, but it's worth repeating: the direction in this episode was SUPERB. If anyone else is interested, I looked up the director on IMDB: Sturla Gunnarsson

He also directed "Money for Nothing" and "Another Brick in the Wall." I don't remember anything too outstanding about "Money for Nothing," but thinking back to ABITW, definitely a few scenes stand out in my mind. This guy has won a tonnnn of awards too. I hope he directs more episodes. He also appears to be helping with that new medical drama that the Degrassi producers are cooking up, which is a very good sign.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Part-Time Fan

I loved this episode, the only downer was that Riley/Peter didn't kiss, but that will never happen:p
npdargy312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellifluouscloud (View Post)
I don't remember anything too outstanding about "Money for Nothing,"
Well, for my money that's still the best episode of this season, and with what I think are strong episodes in this one and Brick II, I think he's 3 for 3 with Degrassi. So that's a good thing. Plus, he's worked on Da Vinci's Inquest and Da Vinci's City Hall, so that's major positive as well.

Anyway, this was a pretty strong episode. There were three scenes in the main plot that really stood out. The first was that brief opening sequence in which Riley is looking at everyone else (including Spin in his blink and miss appearance) celebrating the team's victory. You can definitely get the sense of someone being completely out of sorts and at a loss as he knows that he'll never be able to fit in completely until he's comfortable in his own skin. The second one was that picnic with Riley and Anya. We've all been on dates, that for whatever reason are extraordinary awkward. I thought that was shown very nicely and that both actors did a very good job with that scene. The last was the final scene with Peter and Riley. Once again, the show goes for quiet at the end and comes up with a winner.

The one issue I had with this plot is, as mentioned, it did wrap the steroid element of it a little too quickly. As much as I think Riley's hiding in the closet is a compelling story (and it is), I also think this is something that I hope revisit in the future. I'm not holding my breath on that, though.

One other thought about that plot, or rather one of the characters involved. I'll give the writers and producers credit, I didn't know if I could ever like Peter, but since the middle of last season they've done a very good job of redeeming his character.

As for the subplot, I was happy to see a Danny/Derek story and an update of their relationship, which clearly has changed since they were last featured in Got My Mind Set on You. And I liked that Derek did a good thing for once, after a stretch of doing anything but that. It was also good to see Kwan once again, and she even got time in both plots. Oh and fwiw, I thought Leia had more spark with Derek than with Danny.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:33 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Yup, this was a nice episode. Let's see if I can add anything else that you guys haven't brought up.

There were a lot of great moments that described all of Riley's confusion and lack of belonging. I like that they chose a jock for what Riley is going through because to those of us outside of that popular and athletic circle, you kind of always have this feeling that it all works out for them. Or that they are that sure of themselves. And here is this guy basically has no idea of who he is and that's comforting to those of us who didn't belong in high school, no? But I think it also goes beyond the cliche of high school labels and you can sort of match it up with something that's happened in your own life...that universal sense of not belonging or never being good enough. You know?

The whole steroid thing...yeah I have a few probs with how that went. I agree that it's disappointing that the whole thing seemed to have been overcome so quickly, but when you look at Degrassi's track record of covering substance abuse, it's not a surprise. I think that it could be carried on fairly easily. Riley needs something there to prove he's a man; that's the core reason why he uses right? Why not have him work his way through methods of how he feels he has to compensate. I could see how it could lead back to the steroid abuse. Riley's paranoia..man that was some sweet moments. It's a nice add-on for the substance abuse but I hope that insecurity he has sticks around for awhile. I hope the storyline with his sexuality and accepting who he is continues on through next season. I've said in his thread but I really hope we get his family (main his father's) reaction to Riley being gay. The whole storyline DOESN'T have to be wrapped up just yet, writers.

The music montage:
I wasn't all that fond of it until I read something Erin aka Oh-Canada had written her journal about how there's things we keep from other people and how in Leia's case it seems that she is comfortable with that part of herself that loves to dance and is doing it just for her and not repressing the desire like Riley. I'm expecting that Leia's history with dance is going to be addressed in the further episodes. I think this parallel was put there for a reason. Hope you don't mind that I brought that over here Erin (and I hope I got it right!).

That's all I got at the moment. Just felt like I had to say something about this episode. Hoping for more Riley!
Old 01-27-2009, 07:51 AM
Master Fan

Nope I don't mind and yes you got it right

I also agree with everyone about that stupid line at the end when he says that he's done with the steroids. I was kind of disappointed when he said that. But like Nicole said Degrassi has never dealt with drug abuse for more than 1 or maybe 2 episodes. Which is a shame because that could be a really amazing storyline.

I definitely think that we're going to see more Riley storylines in season 9. Perhaps not in the rest of season 8, but the writers know now how popular Riley is. They'd be crazy not to give him more main plots, and especially since he's going to graduate at the end of season 9 unfortunately, it'll be their last chance. Personally, I'm hoping for an explosive two-parter.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Passionate Fan

to be fair I think Riley would have probably beat up Sav with or without the roids he was being tooo nosy just because his phone went off does not mean it was Anya and it wasnt so he would have been mad anyways because he could have discovered his gayness.

and for the subplot I may be in the minority but I like Danny and Leia the only time Leia and Derek had chemistry is when they were talking about Danny
Old 01-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Absolute Fan

Excellent episode. Probably my favorite from this season as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidocat (View Post)
There were a lot of great moments that described all of Riley's confusion and lack of belonging. I like that they chose a jock for what Riley is going through because to those of us outside of that popular and athletic circle, you kind of always have this feeling that it all works out for them. Or that they are that sure of themselves. And here is this guy basically has no idea of who he is and that's comforting to those of us who didn't belong in high school, no? But I think it also goes beyond the cliche of high school labels and you can sort of match it up with something that's happened in your own life...that universal sense of not belonging or never being good enough. You know?
That is EXACTLY why I loved this episode and Riley in general. Before I knew that Riley was gonna be gay, I thought "Oh god, Why a new popular jock character?". But he's just so much more interesting now knowing that he isn't what other people would make him out to be who aren't in that whole athletic/popular circle. I am so glad to be seeing this storyline done in such a non-stereotyping way, and yet it all just feels realistic. I loved the last scene where Riley was explaining that ever sense he was young he wanted to be the star player, with lots of friends, and a hot girlfriend, and how he doesn't want to be like this.

Hopefully this storyline will continue and it will be just as great. I think it would be kind of interesting if he kept that dude he was with as a secret but to the rest of the world that sees him as a popular ladies man, he would still be trying to date girls so they don't think anything, because obviously Riley is going to have a really hard time coming out to people. I also want to visit his home life, and as mentioned, see his fathers reaction. Hopefully he has like this tough father that pushes him to do well in school,in football, and with girls. And I hope that he has older brothers that are graduated that were football players, and have girlfriends so it feels like he needs to live up to them for his father, too. I think it would all be really interesting because then you know it would be hard for him to come out. I just want something really different then what we saw when Marco came out to everyone. I expecially wouldn't want him coming out to his father in such a stupid way like what we saw with Marco.

I am disappointed that we never get to see this show deal with drug abuse for more then 1 or 2 episodes. So I really hope one day we get to see someone develop one that last throughout a season. Alcoholism with a high school student would be good too.

I liked seeing Danny and Derek together again. I don't really like Lelia though and I didn't see any chemistry with her and Danny....yeah the subplot was a little weak for me.
LidelKewte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I like your idea for a future storyline with Riley, Lidel. There's just so much they could do with him - the character is a goldmine. I hope that his self-loathing continues on through out the rest of the season; I mean right now he absolutely cannot stand the thought that he's gay. He's slowly getting comfortable with the idea and I think it was a huge step for him to confide in Peter. I can see how next season the secret is slowly starting to trickle out. I think seeing his home life and his father's reaction to him being gay should be a HUGE DEAL. And I don't want to see it go well either. I've said in Riley's thread that I think it's possible that his father will get violent with him or have some other drastic reaction if he catches him with another guy. Or hey, anyone see that Prayers For Bobby movies on Lifetime?

I remember talking with Callie aka Tryst about Riley and we wish that Riley was into harder drugs or at least drinking hard. Maybe it's because he wants to get away from the reality of his sexuality or maybe it's rebellion against his family if they have such strong ideas of what kind of person he should be.

Whatever happens with Riley, I want it to have a dark tone.

Oh I should talk about Danny and Derek. I know like NO ONE out there likes Derek but I'm interested in his character. I think Marc is a good actor and I'm curious about why Derek is the way he is. I wonder if there's anything in the future for him storyline wise.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Part-Time Fan

I didnt liked the episode, i mean a whole episode about this riley ~ boriinggg, no thanks.
camiiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread