Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Elite Fan

Episode 808/9 Discussion-- Lost in Love- Friday 2/13 (The N)

Part 1:

Spinner and Jane have plans for next year – she’ll start pre-law and he’ll attend police college. When he doesn’t get in, he can’t bear to tell her, so he lies. Jane catches him and starts to wonder if her future includes him.

Clare gets invited to the dance by K.C. AND Connor. When it looks like their struggle for her attention will jeopardize Robot Wars, she decides to go with neither.

Kelly and Emma finally admit they have feelings for each other and agree to go out on a date. (CTV Media)

Part 2:

Desperate to win Jane (Paula Brancati) back, Spinner (Shane Kippel) sneaks into the Leadership Convention Jane is speaking at and proposes. When Jane turns him down, Spinner breaks up with her. But when Jane realizes she needs Spinner in her life, she worries she won't be able to win him back. Clare (Aislinn Paul) goes to the dance with Connor (AJ Saudin) to avoid hurting his feelings. But when she dances with K.C. (Sam Earle), the person she really wanted to go with, she hurts Connor anyway. (CTV Media)

icon

Last edited by JustMe2000; 01-15-2009 at 06:05 PM
Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

It may be 2009 before we see 809.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Addicted Fan

Don't remind me.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Absolute Fan

I love Spin/Jane. Can't wait for this episode.
LidelKewte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Part-Time Fan

All right. My thoughts on the episode:

There were a lot of small plots... it kind of reminded me of the original DH/DJH.
It was nice to see Jay and Jimmy again! I didn't care all that much to see Trina again.
Jimmy proposing to Trina? Really?? Eeeh... honestly, I would have prefered him with Ash or Hazel... really? Trina?
I liked drunk Spinner. "Are you drunk?" "Yes I am! See, I'm being honest."
The Spinner/Jane storyline was okay... I feel like I've seen it before. But I like Spinner and I like Jane and I think they're cute together...so I'm hoping all goes well between them.
The niner love triangle was kind of lame. I like them a lot and I like their dynamic but their interest in Clare just seemed kind of sudden.
I liked Alli this episode, as I always do. Her lying about being in detention just to talk to Johnny was kind of cute-- funny that it backfired.
Anya was insufferable this episode. And for those of you wondering about the trailer, she DID in fact send the rose to herself.
And the Emma/Kelly storyline was actually worse (at least, in my opinion) than I anticipated. I liked Kelly as the friend but... ugh, they suck together. It was so contrived how Gwenyth and Kelly were conveniently over... and now all of a sudden, he's responsive to Emma.
And for the record, how many people have proposed to their significant other on this show? o_O It's a tad ridiculous.
bailamicorazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Dedicated Fan

I'm excited for this episode

Spin/Jane woot!
Old 11-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Master Fan

Considering it was the beginning of a two-parter, this episode was boring. It wasn’t bad or anything, but nothing really happened in it. That being said, I’m not really a Spinner fan. So if I was, I might think differently about this episode.

I don’t even know what to say because it was just so blah.

What’s the point of this Emma/Kelly storyline? It’s not like they are going to last. And it’s boring to begin with. They could’ve cut this part out and the episode would have been just as good. And it’s not like any fans are actually going to care enough to seriously ship them.

I do like Clare, KC, and Connor so it was cool that they got a storyline. But I still found it rather boring. Again, I don’t have much to say about them. I find it strange that they are fighting over Clare though out of all of the Degrassi girls. Maybe that sounds mean, I really like Clare just like I liked Liberty. But is this relatable to any girl out there like her? That’s why JT/Liberty worked so well in the early seasons.

Jane was cool in this episode, as usual. Spinner was being an idiot, as usual.
As for the original cast appearances, it was kind of strange. So Jimmy is going to propose to Trina? REALLY? Didn’t he just graduate high school like 3 months ago? What’s up with so many Degrassi kids have marriage storylines before the age of 20? It’s just SO UNREALISTIC. Let’s see the list: Craig/Ashley, Manny/Jay, Jane/Spinner (next week), and Jimmy/Trina. I’m older than Jimmy and I don’t know a single person my age who has been engaged.

I don’t necessarily miss over the top 2 parters from season 6 such as EWAF, but at the same time I do miss the issues. They’re coming though… I think.

Oh and another thing, I didn’t like how Spinner is suddenly friends with Danny and Peter. WTF? Have they even had a conversation before? Why would Spinner interact with high school students? Like how he’s planning on going to the dance in the next episode. That is so stupid. No high school graduate would go to a high school dance, even if they are dating someone at the school. Prom MAYBE. They’ve done this before too, like Alex and Paige at the Degrassi dance in DYWM or Marco and Ellie randomly showing up to a high school party in RTT. It’s just such a lame excuse to involve the old cast with Degrassi. WHEN WILL THEY EVER MOVE ON???????

I didn’t expect anything from this episode though, so it wasn’t too much worse than I thought it would be. I just have to patiently wait for 810 and the Connor storyline – like real issues treated honestly. They did that in 803, 805, and 806, so it’ll be okay. I think.

Last edited by Oh-Canada; 11-30-2008 at 06:33 PM
Oh-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Part-Time Fan

I agree, Oh-Canada.
Overall, it was a boring episode-- nothing really happened.
And it almost felt like they were trying to cover so many stories that each story kind of suffered.
Also... I totally agree that the post-graduates coming to Degrassi dances/parties = lame.

I miss when Degrassi's stories were issue driven. It does seem like the series is intending to get back to that but I'm still seeing some of the awful trends from the last few seasons (lots of couples no one cares about)

BTW is anyone else annoyed by the fact that CTV NEVER shows promos anymore? Nothing. At all. It's been like this for weeks now.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-Canada (View Post)
Oh and another thing, I didn’t like how Spinner is suddenly friends with Danny and Peter. WTF? Have they even had a conversation before?
STUDZ!

Oh and thanks for the episode.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe2000 (View Post)
STUDZ!
LMAO! Oh yeah DUH. That was stupid of me. Still I never really thought of them as friends.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Obsessed Fan

Sucks that the-n had to take a break right before the episode I was actually looking forward to watching. :/ Is there a link for this episode yet?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Loyal Fan

Hmm, you guys covered most of the points so I'll just mention things that stood out in particular to me:

Was anyone thinking that the Spinner storyline was paralleling a few of his previous ones? I was so thinking of Eye of the Tiger when Spinner got drunk and I kinda knew he'd go to Jane and apologize like he did with Jimmy in that ep...and it would be fruitless and he'd get kicked out like in that same ep.

And when Spinner thinks of proposing to Jane (come on, that was obvious) I was just thinking of how Spinner always thinks something big is gonna win people over. Like getting that award for Jimmy, getting the "good" locker for Paige, going through the whole ritual thing for Darcy...too bad it always backfires. Spinner, to me, always has the best intentions, I love him, but he's really horrible at carrying them out in his actions.

Holly J. was actually really great. She was in character and I'm sorta glad she didn't turn into a nice girl overnight. Jay was also really great. His mentions of Manny made me laugh a lot and it just makes me think he'll be around for a few more eps. I like that Jay is there every time Spinner decides to drink or do drugs. Nice recurring theme, Degrassi writers.

Oh, Jimmy. Proposing, really? Ah. I'm glad they decided to semi-follow up on the stem-cell thing, but I sorta wish Jimmy got more screen-time than he did. As much as I love Spinner/Jay time...Spinner and Jimmy's friendship will always be my favourite. I love them.

As for the subplots...umm.
-Clare stuff was cliche, but I liked it. I hope she turns Connor down nicely...because she clearly loves KC.
-Alli is so great. She's not like the other girls at Degrassi, really. I guess I hope something happens with her and Johnny, only because she likes him. I'm not a Johnny fan.
-LOL @ Anya/Sav. That entire thing just made laugh.
-Emma/Kelley. Eh. Alright. Pretty cut-and-paste. I liked Manny more in this ep. Her with her instant noodles.

So yup. I enjoyed the ep.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Addicted Fan

Well... at this point I'm used to being in the minority. I enjoyed this episode. I think it'll make a much better fake Degrassi movie than BAM did, although that may be because I hated BAM.... but, I thought this was cute. So, let's see, my thoughts:

- It was actually nice to see Jimmy again. I can handle him in small doses
- LOVED seeing Jay, and Jay and Spinner drunk
- I always love Jane but it was kind of annoying that she jumped to all these conclusions and threw him a party, at which point it was waaaay too late for Spinner to tell her the truth, I think. I felt really bad for Spinner.
- I thought that the Alli/Johnny plot was SUPER CUTE OMG
- I enjoyed the niners' storyline, but I do agree with what some others here have said about more realistically portraying Clare's experience. I like KC and I think Clare's crush is cute, but I don't think he should return it just yet. Connor's jealousy made sense, even though I think he doesn't actually like Clare in that way... he just doesn't want KC to steal his friend.
- But on a less positive note, I thought the Emma/Kelly storyline was awful. Emma always finds a way to make me hate her more. If Manny and Kelly started to date, she would have FLIPPED... but, it's totally fine if she does it. Yeah, okay.
- I like seeing Manny eat ramen noodles. I don't know why.

I'm so annoyed about having to wait an indiscernible amount of time for part 2! Ahhh!
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ish78 (View Post)

Holly J. was actually really great. She was in character and I'm sorta glad she didn't turn into a nice girl overnight. Jay was also really great. His mentions of Manny made me laugh a lot and it just makes me think he'll be around for a few more eps. I like that Jay is there every time Spinner decides to drink or do drugs. Nice recurring theme, Degrassi writers.
I LOVED when Jay brought up Manny.
He said something like "Manny never took my calls, now she answers and hangs up. That's love at work." XD
I love Jay.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Elite Fan

I loveloveloved drunk Spinner and Jay. I honestly enjoy whenever these two are planning or scheming or just being themselves, together. So seeing them as two old high school buddies drinking away their misery was pretty awesome, I must say. Plus, Jay's even more hilarious with a drink in his system. And as much as I don't care for him and Manny, I did love the mention!

Being the Spin/Jane fan that I am, I really enjoyed their plot. For whatever reason, I enjoy their fights, and I don't say that like, ever about couples, 'cause, d'uh, fight ain't cool man. But with them, I do. I think it's the fact that they're silly, and when they aren't, I know that they eventually learn from their mistakes. Plus, I like that they make plans for their future and see themselves beyond just whatever point they're at.

Poor Spin though, I love that he tries, so hard. It just never really turns out well for him, does it? But, forgive me for being cliche and quoting the academy's admissions guy or whatever he was, ,but it is true, Spin is a fighter. He keeps trying even when he messes up which is something I adore about him. He's got heart.

As for the B-Z plots, I enjoyed Alli's the most. I like that she's willing to take risks and is daring. She wants to be with Johnny and would do whatever it takes to get her guy. I wonder if she'd be willing to be with him in secret, considering he's all afraid of what it would do to his rep being seen with a niner and all. I'm definitely hoping to see more of them.

The Clare love triangle and the Emma/Kelly hook-up woes didn't really capture my attention. I'm trying hard to like a niner outside of Alli, but, I can't. Sometimes the storylines are hit or miss with me, and this week just didn't do it. I like the yeah, they're trying to make a point that Clare's more than just "the smart one" as the promo stated before, but, in a lot of ways they seem to be overdoing it by placing her in a love triangle. It's as if to say LOOK! SHE CAN GET GUYS TOO! Which, well, I never doubted she could, it just doesn't need to be made so obvious.

As for Emma... I don't know if they'll ever be a day when I actually care for her or ship her with anybody. All I know is, today was not that day.

It was nice seeing Jimmy, I guess, even if I'm not his biggest fan. I like him around Spinner on a good day, so, that was nice. But, he's planning on proposing to Trina? What in the hell? It was just... unexpected. I don't have any objections other than the fact that I think they're way too young and that came out of left field, but...whatever (or whoever) floats his boat. Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-Canada
I’m older than Jimmy and I don’t know a single person my age who has been engaged.
Everyone I know is getting engaged or having kids (first... fourth...). I understand Spinner's feelings of everyone moving on but him. Hell, at his age (which wasn't that long ago for me, I swear) I'd hear around the rumor mill of so-and-so getting engaged or whoever being pregnant. And now with facebook I get a new update on someone else having a life every other minute. As weird as it may be, it happens. Hell, I see it and I'm still going "WTF?!"

Anyway...overall, I really liked the episode. It had a different feel to it and I see why The-N is gonna premiere it as a "mini V-Day movie". Can't wait for the second part...next year.

Yellow is for "I'm working on it."
malia tate
lalatina15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread