Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Elite Fan

Episode 805 Discussion-- Man with Two Hearts--November 7, 2008

Boys, boys, boys....

Just a note: Promo pics and promos can be posted here. Just no spoilers if you see the ep early.
Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Part-Time Fan

I loved the episode.

Peter/Riley plot was good.

& the subplot with Clare and the vibrator was good too. :]

I dislike Jamie Johnston's acting, that's pretty much the only criticism I have for the episode.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Let's see.......

Peter's a goof. I'm not sure that can be stressed enough.

His reaction to being kissed by Riley came off as being pretty realisic to me, as did the notion of him trying to speed things along with Mia right after that.

Loved that the main plot once again involved a school project, and that the other pairings (Derek/Bruce, Danny/Jane) that we saw in that class were pairings that made sense based on what we've seen so far this season.

Peter and Mia are....okay. Not my favorites, but I've seen worse. They've got decent chemistry, which helps.

We didn't get to see as much from Riley's point of view, but his story will come later. I did like the ending with that shared look of understanding between him and Peter.

Speaking of Peter, didn't we do the whole he doesn't have any male friends thing just eight episodes or so ago? Isn't that why he started the band?

The subplot was a classic embarrassing rite of passage plot that harks back to the first couple of seasons, especially Spin's infamous problem in Weird Science.

In the past they've done a good job of showing that Darcy is very much the product of her parents, and I think this episode did a good job of that with Clare. I also liked, though, that Mrs. Edwards saw the need to be more open with her daughter.

Clare and Allie are . The whole group of Miner Niners is great. The girls work well off each other and have that early friendship pattern of talking down. Some great moments with them including the "is all forgiven/isn't it always exchange to Alli trying her best to come up with a way for Clare to get out of trouble when Armstrong found the vibrator in class. Speaking of Armstrong, nice to see him again and I liked his no nonsense respone to Alli. Clare's verbal smackdown of Hollly J. was nice, and I say that as a Holly J. fan.

The Shep walking off with the vibrator was classic.

Overall, a good, not great episode with what I think was a better subplot than main plot.

One last thing, what the hell did Spike do to her hair?

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Absolute Fan

I really liked this episode-- both the main and subplot was really good.

I think they are doing a great job setting up Riley's character. I love that they are doing this whole thing in such a non stereotypical way and it still all feels really realistic. It's all really interesting and I can't wait to see more Riley. I like that there was a small mention of his dad, not that it was much, but this was mentioned in the Riley thread and I really hope his dad is the type that pushes him to be all athletic and "be a man" , although I doubt we will see his home life this season, but it can be good setting up for the future. Oh yeah, and it was cool to finally see Peter be involved in a plot that is actually interesting. Although I am still not feeling him and Mia...I still really like her character, just not with him that much, but whatever.

I love Claire and Alli! And just that Niner group in general. The whole thing with the vibrator was funny. And what Claire said to Holly J was awesome. I also loved the talk that Jane had with them. Jane has got to be one of my favorites now. It was cool seeing Spike again too. I think having Connor live with them is a good way on showing Spike and showing Snake more, but I hope sometime in a future episode we find out why he is living with them.
LidelKewte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

The best episode of the season so far. This is why I watch Degrassi. Nice pace, nice setting up of a new character for future storylines, fresh perspective of a gay character, a bit of controversy, addressing of embarrassing coming of age issues, and of course a little bit of quirkiness that lets us make jokes about the manhandling of sex toys and how Spike didn’t get her vibrator back (I am so concerned about that!).

I believe in Riley’s character...yup I'm his little cheerleader. I think it’s fabulous that we are getting a different perspective on what it’s like to be gay and things aren’t wrapping up in a half hour. I think his journey is going to be the stand out plot of season 8 and hopefully the writers have enough sense to keep going with it into season 9. I think there’s a never ending list of possibilities for events that he can go through. I wish I had remained unspoiled because I think that would have been a huge bomb to announce that the alpha male, popular jock is gay and get people to questioning all the forms that gay people do come in. Riley’s story is going to be an important one.

I find him likeable and full of layers and things to question. I’m sure some fans of the show are quick to dismiss him as a jerk and say “oh I don’t like what he did.” But they are missing a huge part of the story - why is he that way and what makes him tick? I think it was a lovely touch for him to have all this anger towards Peter and the blame is a loaded issue. It’s easier to be angry at Peter than to admit that he hates himself for having an attraction to a person of the same sex. There was also the utter heartbreak of Riley seeing Peter kiss Mia. Come on, you can’t tell me your heart didn’t go out to him. I hope there's more Peter and Riley interaction...and I think you all know what kind I want.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:14 AM
Elite Fan

I'll start with the good parts.

Good:
Aislinn Paul is an amazing little actress. They really struck gold when they found her in season 6. I can always feel where Clare's coming from and why she does the things she does. It's great that she's different from Darcy, too. The last scene with her mother was well-acting and touching. Plus her owning Holly J was awesome.

Geeky Simpson is back! Yay!

I thought all the scenes with Peter/Riley were interesting. You could tell Riley's very uncomfortable with what happened, and they played that well. Then, the last scene showed a good side to Peter without it being out of place.

Argiris (sp?) is doing a great job with Riley. They've only scratched the surface thus far with him, and I think he can handle whatever is coming up for Riley.

I thought this was Jamie's best performance. Peter's rush to go find a girl, Mia who he's not really into, was believable. Then, I liked their mini-conversation about why his dad is paying for the apartment.

The cameo with Jane was nice, though yeah, it's been done before.

Okay, the bad...

There was some weak acting. I won't say who, but sometimes when they deliver their lines, it comes out very one-note and even when the dialogue is good, it falls flat.

I found parts of the subplot WAY too over-the-top. The fact that everyone was handling it I found very strange. Coach Armstrong was holding it, Shep was holding it like it was a chocolate bar. They don't know where that thing's been and their reactions were like yeah, okay. I stll hope that the Shep goes far, far away. Then, Allia saying it was a robot was pretty lame. I also don't like that she's so annoyed with Connor. I don't know. I'm not finding her as appealing as I would like.

The Anti-Grapevine. Stop! This isn't Gossip Girl. Plus Chante's the only one that can pull off that line, Allia.

Mia. Gosh. I just find her so annoying, flat, and empty-headed this season. I want to hit her everytime she comes onto the screen. Walk me here. Let's go, Peter. Mia used to have some chutzpah, but now, she's so bleh. Plus, she and Peter have no chemistry.

So I'll give this ep a B or B-. When it was good, it was really good. There were some definite eh moments, though.

Oh, nice to see Spike, but her hair was not good. She should've left it blonde.

icon
Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:09 PM
New Fan

Watched it (several times)

It was a decent episode. It's obvious that this episode was a light set-up episode with a few dramatic scenes, to get the viewers ready for his storyline, which will become more intense once Bad Medicine premieres.

I'm curious as to why Peter remains his friend even though Riley is still attracted to him.

I'm also curious how Pia will play out, since the kiss is what speeded things up between the two.
Ancax is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top