Old 06-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Elite Fan

Episode 723 Discussion-- If This is It--June 16, 2008

Two more to go.

icon
Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Absolute Fan

I thought the episode was ok. I would have perfered if we actually got to see Spinner getting the news that he is in remission, just for the emotional impact of it. I liked the episode for the Spinner/Jane scenes and Spinner/Jimmy.

I was fine with the subplot too. I always love Emma/Manny. And did anyone else feel that Manny looked uncomfortable wearing that tiny outfit for that west drive thing? Not that it bothered me, I think that it just shows how much she has changed and grown over the years.
LidelKewte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

From the beginning, I've viewed these two friendships to be the heart of the show. So even though we all assume they'll be around in S8, this episode came across as sort of an end of an era.

I liked that this at least touched on the school part of the show. It's something they've forgotten way too much over the years. Those scenes of Spin putting off studying, I've been there and those rang true to me. Nicely done. And the fact that Jimmy ends up breaking a rule to help Spin pass? Totally fitting for these two goofballs.

As for the subplot, I liked that they pretty much played it low key in the reactions from Emma and Manny's father to Manny getting the series job. I also thought the series set itself was a nice little slice of in-house commentary.

I really think the stuff we saw in this episode (especially the Spin plot) should have formed the core of the season finale. One of my favorite episodes of the season.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:27 PM
New Fan

I loved this episode, mostly because I love Spinner. XD

I thought Emma was going to be more angry about Manny not doing the college thing at first, because with her views on everything I thought they would get mad, but Emma was really calm about it.

Manny's father was really OOC, which I didn't like much. D:

I thought Spinner would point out that he has helped Jimmy in the past, like in the earlier episodes where Spinner gave Jimmy his last pill for his ADHD or whatever and sacrificed school activities for Jimmy. I guess he didn't because either the writers didn't know if people watched earlier seasons, and also that Spinner stole Jimmy's MP3 player and that it was partly his fault that Jimmy got shot, so those outweighed the other things Spinner has done.

Overall, I liked it, because it was mostly the original cast, which I love.
taaaylorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Elite Fan

Hey mods! It'd be so much fun if you topped this so those of us watching 723 for the first time tonight don't have to go digging! Thanks.

I enjoyed this episode, as I always enjoy when Spimmy are on "frienemy" status. Jimbo's always an ass going back on his word, but, I understood his side of things. Sucks when you get stuck with all the work to do. Just wish, you know, he wasn't all, "FAIL! AGAIN! BURNOUT!" about the whole thing. Spin's had a touch semester - and he's been trying to deal with lots. He's still trying to figure out how to sort his life, now that he's suddenly gotten it back.

As for the B plot... wish Manny would have said she'd do the show... or at least something less predictable than having Emma all upset at Manny for getting an opportunity. At least semi encouraging to a point - but I do wonder how it would have gone if they did separate. That kinda happens a lot when people get to college... unless you're on tv... but, whatever. The plot was cute and I didn't hate Emma. Win-win!

Yellow is for "I'm working on it."
malia tate
lalatina15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:53 AM
Elite Fan

I topped this, but then it was untopped.

This was a cute episode. It was nice to have a light-hearted episode, and I'm glad Spinner was in remission. It's also great to have the focus be on school and not relationships. GREAT moment when Spinner fished Jimmy's cellphone out of the toilet, and I also liked seeing Jimmy use the physically handicapped washroom.

I really wish they'd done more with Joseph/Manny this year, because I thought it was weird how he was suddenly so supportive. It was nice, but the writing up to it wasn't so believable. Emma/Manny had some cute scenes.

STUDZ is really bad. I thought it made sense that Johnny and Co. had basically voted for them so that they would get booed off the stage. I felt bad for them.

Still really liking Spinner/Jane. Jane's a great girlfriend.

So this ep receives a B.

icon

Last edited by Mayberry; 08-09-2008 at 08:13 AM
Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Go to bed.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:38 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

8 years ago today Spinner skipped out on his finals.

This episode had good school lets out vibes, if I remember right. Nice Spinner/Jimmy tension during their conflict too. It has always been frustrating to me, especially at this point in the series. that they always revert back to their Saint Jimmy and Spinner the screw up roles. And it's like, come on Jimmy, Spinner just battled cancer. Quit bustin' his...never mind. But who can blame him for being frustrated with his friend? Jimmy bailed him out and I think this moment really brought them full circle, back where they used to be. Jimmy wouldn't have risked everything for him if it wasn't. A good end chapter for their friendship.