Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2015, 11:28 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Episode 1421/1422 Discussion- The Kids Aren't Alright- 7/29 & 7/30 (MTV Canada & TeenNick)

Rules -

1. No passing judgement or mocking the fans of characters or ships. Do not shame another poster for liking something you do not.
2. Please use constructive criticism. Try to focus on the episode itself. We encourage you to use our anti-threads if you need to express your overall dislike of a character or couple, especially since other boards at do not allow them. Take advantage of them here.
3. Do not ask for or discuss illegal downloads, especially including leaks (if they should occur). Discuss any links to download/live stream sources via private messaging.
4. Promos that air on television as well as online articles by reputable sources are not considered spoilers are are open for speculation. For more detailed information on spoilers read this thread.

It is not the end.
Degrassi is graduating from TeenNick and MTV Canada and moving to Family Channel in Canada and Netflix worldwide in early 2016!

The Kids Aren't Alright

When we were young the future was so bright
The old neighborhood was so alive
And every kid on the whole damn street
Was gonna make it big and not be beat

Wednesday July 29th (part 1) and Thursday July 30th (part 2), 9:00 PM ET, MTV Canada and TeenNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTV
In this special two-part episode, Zig (Ricardo Hoyos) learns the truth behind some recent events, and now he’s an accomplice to a crime. With opening night fast approaching, Frankie (Sara Waisglass) finds herself falling for Winston (Andre Kim) all over again. Given their rocky past, she’s determined not to get hurt this time around. Frankie comes up with a plan to test Winston’s fidelity. Connor (A.J. Saudin) and Jenna (Jessica Tyler) track the source of the animal attacks to a nearly seven foot snake living in Toronto. Later, they have a detailed conversation about their hopes and dreams that you'll never see. Becky (Sarah Fisher) is happy with Jonah (Ehren Kassam), but Drew (Luke Bilyk) isn’t having it. He’s convinced that Jonah is not a good guy, and he’s trying to prove that to Becky.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar

Last edited by JustMe2000; 07-30-2015 at 06:50 AM
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:35 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I am especially looking forward to Jonnor tracking down that 7 foot long snake. Drecky is never going to end is it? Be safe Zig! Especially with those snakes out there.

Thanks for starting the thread!
Old 07-29-2015, 01:35 PM
Addicted Fan

The video for the episode looks interesting.
socialfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:31 PM
Part-Time Fan

So it appears Becky actually does have a reason to worry about Jonah. Interesting.

I'll give my comments after part 2.
Astroman129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:24 PM
Extreme Fan

I think I'll give my full thoughts once part 2 airs but MAN. Best episode of the season so far. These writers definitely learned from the laughable gang plots of season 3 and 11. Zig is truly in a situation where there is no clear "good" way out. It's just messy all around. And nice one with Jonah, writers. The pieces started to fall after Becky's "good person" talk and her money missing but it was still a shock to see Guyliner be revealed. I loved how they tied all three plots together with the musical as a backdrop.

And bonus points, they used some of the Open Heart set! And poor Damon. I hope he actually does come back season 15.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:29 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

It might just be because the episodes are fresh but I think this gang storyline is shaping up to be one of the most memorable ones from the entire series. Usually you can say a certain issue and then point to an episode or two. I think that's happened here.

Loved how all the plots slowly flowed together until they basically came to one. Everyone is involved with the gang, whether it be meeting a kid who just got shot at the hospital or having the opening night of the play be jeopardized. I'm sure it has been used before but it reminded me of Time Stands Still. It makes the episode feel important. Normally the teens are divided up in their cliques (I hadn't realized how much so until tonight) and this one issue has become so huge it is affecting them all. And there isn't a clear bad guy. I love it when they do this with "villains." You will miss a good villain and I don't want to see Damon or Vince go.

I love whenever Becky has a moment of self discovery. Every time she realizes she doesn't know it all...it feels like an equally important moment to the viewer. I did not see the Jonah thing coming. I think we all wondered about his past but I didn't expect it to be revealed like that. And then I expect everyone to recognize each other. Hey Becky that is Zig, he goes to Degrassi too! Is there any chance both Drew and Vince will be at the musical premiere?

...there is a part of me afraid that with this musical backdrop Degrassi will lose itself and get too cheesy.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I loved the episode. Zig is so amazing how can anyone not ship zaya after the bunch of episodes that have passed?
Old 07-30-2015, 06:48 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Just a few quick thoughts, and I'll post more later after tonight's episode.

-Frankie may be my favorite character right now (the avatar doesn't lie!), but I was glad to see Winston call her on the way she was acting with that stupid scheme of hers. It was also nice to see those three girls hanging out together. It gives us hope for them to become a fully formed friendship as we head forward.
-Yeah, he's been a jackass this block and he stabbed Tiny, but seeing Damon in that hospital bed after he told Becky what happened, I couldn't help but feel for him.
-It took one little two minute scene to give us a nice dive into the background of Jonah. Nice job, writers, and nice job surprising us on that one.
-Once again we see someone from the Police interrogating a minor on school grounds without a parent or advocate present. The show needs to stop doing that. A sour note in an otherwise terrific episode.
-As mentioned, the way the three plots slowly came together was wonderfully done and very organic feeling.
-You can really feel the sense of urgency that Tiny and especially Zig are feeling right now. I haven't felt that way watching a Degrassi story line in a long time. Oh and having these episodes air every night only heightens that feeling.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:51 PM
Extreme Fan

Man, it's always awesome to see Degrassi at it's best. When it transcends cheesy teen show to "yeah, it deserves those Emmys." I loved how all the plots went together. I loved the shades of gray. I loved that there was no right answer. This episode so far was the highlight of season 14 and I'm not sure for the series fauxnale will top it. And the theme! Characters trying to overcome their perception and the things they did in the past! Yaaaas.

All throughout Zig's storyline I was on pins and needles, especially during the musical. I should've known that with the police there nobody was going to shoot Zig on stage but it was still tense. I really liked the ambiguity of the situation that Zig was in, where even though he did the right thing in the end, it may still end a little badly for him. I also liked how the other kids (Imogen, Maya) just could not relate to his situation at all, and thought everything would blow over. Damon's handy advice about getting out in any way possible was great, and a good message for the kids at home who may be dealing with this. Gang life is rough, and it's scary to go to the authorities but the way to play the game is just not to play it all and try your best to get out of the cycle. It won't work in most cases but those repeated attitudes are the reasons why gangs exist. And I gotta give it up for Ricardo Hoyos for finally stepping up his acting game and bringing the toughness, yet sweetness to Zig's character.

I'm so happy the writers didn't just write Damon as a side character and gave him agency. How quickly he turned against Zig, and stabbed Tiny...I was sure he was given that to move the plot along, but then he suffered a major consequence which gave him his epiphany. The end scene with the two of them was heartwarming and I hope Liam makes the cast next year.

It's time to get Tiny out of the Black Best Friend box; Richard Walters was great and I'm glad his situation wasn't forgotten with. He really has no one other than Vince and it makes me wish we saw more of him. And eff that gang counselor, why is Zig not back at home yet!?

Great twist with Jonah stealing Becky's money and settling an old drug debt. Poor Becky's idealism has been trampled on all season. Not a fan of the break-up, just to get her back together with Drew but they're both gone as of this season, might as well make Drecky endgame.

Frankston was cute, and probably just there to lighten up the episode at little bit. Sucks Frankie was cheated on but her spying and tests for Winston were not cute at all. She should've brought all her concerns to him instead of playing games. Winston I think learned his lesson. I kinda wish there was more of a consequences seeing how he cheated, but it's whatever. Frankston!

Tomorrow, the season finale (not calling it a series finale TeenNick! Suck it!)
Old 07-31-2015, 06:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Zig novak is absolutely amazing. I love him with tiny, maya, damon anyone really. I also love Frankie and Drew.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

1421:

Poor Zig. He's always getting into trouble.

So over the Becky/Drew thing, why are they insistent on bringing this back up? I dont mind a friendship but nothing else.

i did like the becky/damon interaction though. jonah stole becky's money?

speaking of horrible relationships, frankie and winston again? really? god they are annoying. winston calling her psycho is so uncalled for. he did cheat on her, she has a right to be paranoid! jeez.

1422:

Im getting sick of Zig's friends. They aren't good for him at all.

pretty boring episode. lol. i dont care about the play at all.

i really like damon as a character, he's interesting. i like that he and zig made up and that storyline was somewhat resolved. things are moving fast in this half but i really like it.

drecky blahhhh.
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread