Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2015, 12:27 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Episode 1419/1420 Discussion- I Wanna Be Adored/Teen Age Riot- 7/27 & 7/28 (MTV Canada & TeenNick)

Rules -

1. No passing judgement or mocking the fans of characters or ships. Do not shame another poster for liking something you do not.
2. Please use constructive criticism. Try to focus on the episode itself. We encourage you to use our anti-threads if you need to express your overall dislike of a character or couple, especially since other boards at do not allow them. Take advantage of them here.
3. Do not ask for or discuss illegal downloads, especially including leaks (if they should occur). Discuss any links to download/live stream sources via private messaging.
4. Promos that air on television as well as online articles by reputable sources are not considered spoilers are are open for speculation. For more detailed information on spoilers read this thread.

It is not the end.
Degrassi is graduating from TeenNick and MTV Canada and moving to Family Channel in Canada and Netflix worldwide in early 2016!

I Wanna Be Adored

I don’t have to sell my soul
He’s already in me
I don’t need to sell my soul
He’s already in me

Monday July 27th, 9:00 PM ET, MTV Canada and TeenNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTV
Clare’s (Aislinn Paul) been absent from prom committee meetings, and Alli (Melinda Shankar) is starting to get worried. Something is up with her best friend, but somehow Alli isn’t in the loop this time. Zig (Ricardo Hoyos) needs somewhere to go, seeing as his mom isn’t ready to take him back just yet. Tiny (Richard Walters) and his brother Vince take Zig in, but Zig is unprepared for the lifestyle adjustment. Tristan (Lyle Lettau) is trying online dating, but his profile isn’t getting much action. After some “adjustments”, he catches the attention of a handsome suitor. The only problem is Tristan is nothing like his new profile.
MTV sneak peek

Teen Age Riot

Looking for a ride to your secret location
Where the kids are setting up a free-speed nation, for you
Got a foghorn and a drum and a hammer that's rockin'
And a cord and a pedal and a lock, that'll do me for now

Tuesday July 28th, 9PM ET on MTV Canada and TeenNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTV
Maya (Olivia Scriven) wants to visit Zig (Ricardo Hoyos) at his new place, but Zig is hesitant. With the sort of things his housemates are involved in, anything could happen. Clare (Aislinn Paul) is nominated for valedictorian, something she’s been picturing since she first entered high school. Too bad something else has caught her attention. Seeing her nomination speech as an opportunity, Clare decides to shine a light on the questionable practices in the school, even if it means risking her own future. A visit to Japan proves illuminating for Connor (A.J. Saudin) and Jenna (Jessica Tyler) as they continue to investigate the animal attacks. Frankie (Sara Waisglass) loves being in the musical, but she’s having some issues with her leading man. She’s finding it impossible to be professional, and the turbulence is ruining something that was supposed to be a good time.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar

Last edited by JustMe2000; 07-28-2015 at 06:28 AM
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:54 PM
Addicted Fan

The sneak peak for the one episode looks interesting.
socialfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:06 PM
Extreme Fan

This social worker is worthless. Um, so Zig's mother doesn't want him back in the house? So she's okay with him essentially being homeless? Why is he not calling the police on her or sitting them both down to hash this out? This isn't a case where Zig was being abused or he was hitting his mother; there's no reason for this guy not to being working towards getting Zig back into his home. Mama Novak can go die.

So Vince did prison time for shooting Adam...like a year? And he's out? Great lawyer I guess or prison overcrowding. I did like his stone face seeing Zig practice...though this arrangement will lead to nothing but trouble. I also have the feeling we should see more of Tiny and how he feels living with his brother...where are their parents? Anyway.

So Alli's lone A-Plot this season revolved around Clare. Sigh. But to tell the truth, they pretty much spent their biggest Alli storyline back in season 10 and nothing Alli has done has been as good as that storyline. But I like a good Clare/Alli plot so this was sweet.

Rolling my eyes at Tristan but the gay dating world is bull**** for the part so I can relate. I mean, how many gay guys on these apps are into hiking? That guy was cute, I wonder if we'll see him next season.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:38 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

This is the second most recent episode where a character has whined about another having a "perfect life" even though they are equally troubled. Tristan couldn't remember that that Maya's ex killed himself and until recently she blamed herself for it. I can understand how Clare isn't in the best state of mind but come on...that's Alli you are talking to. It kinda makes you realize that even by teen soap standards, Clare is at drama overload with cancer, a miscarriage, and everything Eli drama.

Eli. That guy ruins everything. I was really looking forward to Clare silently grieving, keeping her secret from friends, falling behind in school, and being a mess...and that all lasted about two minutes. And Eli is the one who blabs to Alli. Thanks Eli.

I enjoyed the gang member fun time. Vince kinda won me over with his skepticism of Zig singing. Thank you kind drug dealer for stopping that. I overcame my second hand embarrassment during his audition but I couldn't do it again. Good plot though. I liked the contrast of the scenes of them having fun and Zig slowly warming up to Vince again. One of my wants from the gang plot was seeing how he fell into the lifestyle. I can't have that but this plot gave me some hints of what I suspected; that it was because he enjoyed the friendship and they probably have a way of convincing him that they will give him a sense of stability that he isn't getting at home, school, or a job. He got sucked back in so quick. I liked violence in video games as background noise while Zig is nervously squirming but at the same time I remember Degrassi doing a similar thing with Adam playing while Drew is silently freaking out over gang threats. I like the thought processes both scenes provide but I don't want too many similarities. I swear...if Vince shows up at the prom AGAIN...

I agree with MegaJ about the social worker being useless. Did Zig not have to provide an address? Is there not one on file for Vince? I guess I can go with this being some secret right now since it seems the show is making all adults seem unrealistically stupid again. I know the show focuses on teen relationships but sometimes for things like medical appointments (Clare) and intervening because you don't want your kid dead or on the streets, we need to see them.

Did anyone else flashback to Riley's hook up with Soccer Stud? I wonder if this extra will go on to reach gay icon status in a hit show about clones.

And Dallas is heading off to Japan after graduation. Alright. I had to double check I heard that right.

Have romantic relationships ever revolved this quickly before? This Tristan, Miles, Zoe, Zig, and Maya stuff is kinda making my head spin.

Chopped mention! Thank you Tristan!

And thanks for starting the thread co-mod!
Old 07-28-2015, 06:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidocat (View Post)
This is the second most recent episode where a character has whined about another having a "perfect life" even though they are equally troubled. Tristan couldn't remember that that Maya's ex killed himself and until recently she blamed herself for it. I can understand how Clare isn't in the best state of mind but come on...that's Alli you are talking to. It kinda makes you realize that even by teen soap standards, Clare is at drama overload with cancer, a miscarriage, and everything Eli drama.

Eli. That guy ruins everything. I was really looking forward to Clare silently grieving, keeping her secret from friends, falling behind in school, and being a mess...and that all lasted about two minutes. And Eli is the one who blabs to Alli. Thanks Eli.

I enjoyed the gang member fun time. Vince kinda won me over with his skepticism of Zig singing. Thank you kind drug dealer for stopping that. I overcame my second hand embarrassment during his audition but I couldn't do it again. Good plot though. I liked the contrast of the scenes of them having fun and Zig slowly warming up to Vince again. One of my wants from the gang plot was seeing how he fell into the lifestyle. I can't have that but this plot gave me some hints of what I suspected; that it was because he enjoyed the friendship and they probably have a way of convincing him that they will give him a sense of stability that he isn't getting at home, school, or a job. He got sucked back in so quick. I liked violence in video games as background noise while Zig is nervously squirming but at the same time I remember Degrassi doing a similar thing with Adam playing while Drew is silently freaking out over gang threats. I like the thought processes both scenes provide but I don't want too many similarities. I swear...if Vince shows up at the prom AGAIN...

I agree with MegaJ about the social worker being useless. Did Zig not have to provide an address? Is there not one on file for Vince? I guess I can go with this being some secret right now since it seems the show is making all adults seem unrealistically stupid again. I know the show focuses on teen relationships but sometimes for things like medical appointments (Clare) and intervening because you don't want your kid dead or on the streets, we need to see them.

Did anyone else flashback to Riley's hook up with Soccer Stud? I wonder if this extra will go on to reach gay icon status in a hit show about clones.

And Dallas is heading off to Japan after graduation. Alright. I had to double check I heard that right.

Have romantic relationships ever revolved this quickly before? This Tristan, Miles, Zoe, Zig, and Maya stuff is kinda making my head spin.

Chopped mention! Thank you Tristan!

And thanks for starting the thread co-mod!
ugh tris sometimes he is funny still and he is a good friend to zoe and he still wants maya a part of his life, but sometimes he doesn't know how to handle things. I love Drew. He has been so superb so has Zig. Eli though can go away. Clare is at her worst with him at least imo.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:48 AM
Part-Time Fan

The gay dating storyline is all too real. As a gay male myself, I can relate to the guys on those sites proclaiming their desire for "straight acting" and masc men, when I'm really not anything of the sort. They will NOT give you he time of day and it can be degrading. Even the part of liking only straight guys or not having anything in common with gay guys is true. I always laugh when people say why would you choose the live the gay life style. We DIDN'T and it's way harder than hetero for sure. The one thing I didn't like was the indirect message teens watching could misread as "Don't be yourself until you're ready, than they will like you for you." When honestly Tris just got lucky. No one is who they say they are online, the fact that the guy Tristan went on a date with said he had other interests that may be "fem" in nature says a lot yet he didn't put that on his profile because guys would have ignored him.

Also, please tell me someone else is picking up on the Triles vibes? We all know they are not over each other. I like how the writers placed Miles at the Dot during Tris's date and you could clearly tell he was upset. No longer having Tris or Maya, he's honestly just latching on to anyone which would be Zoe.
Xhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:14 PM
Part-Time Fan

Geez, Teenage Riot was insane. I freaking loved it, honestly. This is the Degrassi I know and love. Not sure how many people will agree with that sentiment, though. I guess I'll go through the plots one-by-one.

Zig/Maya: This one maintained its strong basis of the Zaya relationship but it still worked out really well. I'll be the first to admit I've never been *too* fond of their relationship primarily because it was a competitor of my all-time favorite ship on the show, but Maya has some undeniable chemistry with Zig. Whether it's romantic or platonic I'm not so sure. Regardless, I was slightly shocked they both did molly and had sex while high. I didn't really expect either of them to have sex anytime soon, actually. But that really pushed the boundaries for the show, in my opinion. Degrassi's played it safe in certain aspects but they really made that scene intense as hell. Also, notice that Zig didn't have a condom. Hmmmmm. Wonder what's going to happen. I'm pretty sure that they shot Damon at the end but we don't know for sure. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. Urgghh I don't want to wait.

The Clare plot was more interesting than I expected as well. It reminds me of the one from season 8 where she stood up against The Shep for his condescending and downright discriminatory acts against Connor. Maybe that's the point of this storyline. They wanted to remind people that despite all the stuff that Clare went through, her parents' divorce, sexual assault, cancer, pregnancy and miscarriage, she's still the same confrontational person underneath. Not sure if destroying the video cameras will result in some huge consequence, though. Once again, I'm sure we'll find out tomorrow. But where the hell did she get that baseball bat?

The Frankie plot was the one I was really excited about but it happened to be the least interesting to me. Normally I love Frankie plots but this one seemed all over the place. Did she make up with Winston or was she just pretending to in order to make rehearsal much easier? Was she really suppressing her feelings about her mom and taking them out on Winston? How much of her lack of ability to concentrate on the play was due to Winston and not her parents' divorce/abuse? Maybe we'll find out tomorrow, but I'm not expecting an answer.

We need dark stuff like this on the show more often. It was pretty intense but it didn't cross the line. I'm not sure what would cross the line for me on this show, but in my opinion this was the most "epic" episode since Tristan/predatory teacher. The show needs to remind us of all walks of high school life, not just the extremely common ones.
Astroman129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:17 AM
Extreme Fan

Wow, this was a pretty "adult" episode with the A-Plot. Getting high and having sex and then what happens in the end? Man, Degrassi can still go there.

Semma 2.0 are cute together. And it was interesting focusing on Zig's POV about losing his virginity in "the right way" as opposed to Maya and feeling like he "defiled" her. I'm glad they both came around and realized their feelings for one another. I'm sure the fandom will have their usual freakout about Maya and start calling her a **** and whatever, but unlike Emma and Clare, she's never been a 100% ingenue, further solidified with Cam's suicide darkening her character. I also liked Vince here; he's a villain but these little moments of him taking care of Zig and his issues keeps him from being the cartoon villain he was back in season 11. No one is 100% bad all the time.

I loved Clare's plot and how it was a throwback to her standing up to Shep back in season 8. I get her side and Pill shouldn't have forced her to bring up the miscarriage thing. But still...girl. Clare. It's a school...it's a public place. There's no expectation of privacy unless you're in the bathroom or lockers. But again, IDK. I'm not sure just how much privacy teenagers can demand, especially after Degrassi Nudes. Her righteousness this time isn't the product of standing up for Connor and the "freaks" of the school, but her wildly spinning out of control with the miscarriage, Eli back in her life and an unclear future. Can't wait to see what happens.

Frankston plot was meh. I would've liked the parallel with her mother to have been more subtle.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I love zaya and zig. I also liked Clares plot and frankies.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:21 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaJ (View Post)
I'm sure the fandom will have their usual freakout about Maya and start calling her a **** and whatever, but unlike Emma and Clare, she's never been a 100% ingenue, further solidified with Cam's suicide darkening her character.
Speaking of Cam, something I forgot to mention was that I'm pretty sure the breakup dialogue was supposed to remind us of the end of Cam/Maya. "You're better off without me," "I can't drag you into this mess" or whatever he said, etc. It makes me interested in seeing what happens between these two. I was kinda shocked Maya didn't explicitly mention Cam in that moment, but whatever.
Astroman129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:13 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Teen Age Riot:
Best episode yet out of this summer block! I was pretty much glued to the screen. The A-plot with Zig and Maya makes partying with the candy bandits in Our House seem tame. Our House was pretty mild but there was that urgency knowing that Sean was seriously gambling with his future while still enjoying seeing him live it up with his friends and girlfriend Ellie. But this? Holy crap. I wasn't sure Zig was going to come out of it alive. What an emotional roller coaster. Always a lover of wild children, I was grinning like an idiot watching Zaya party and molest the couch. Then there was nothing but worry. Was this the end of Zaya? And Zig had this added pressure with the gang affiliation. It was like watching a bomb tick down and I did not want to see Zig waiting in the car. I was convinced the last thing we would hear is him making up with his love Maya and the last thing we would see is a gun to his head. Thank God the credits were finally over. Now I'm not sure we will have a death (with everyone placing bets on Damon, Vince, or...Tiny). I don't really know what to expect. There is more tension in anticipation of the shot, not the actual firing of the gun (or whatever that Hitchcock quote is) so I'm looking forward to more of this slow burn.

I love Clare spiraling out of control! She is really pushing Ms. Pill. I can understand the betrayal Clare feels about Ms. Pill discovering her miscarriage through camera footage. I think I would even feel like my privacy is being invaded if Mom was the one to tell her. It just makes you feel even less in control. Still, she has to find some healthy way to grieve. She can't destroy school property because she is upset. I'm expecting a consequence here. There wasn't one yet right? I feel like I missed something.

I can't remember the episode but in the past haven't viewers wondered if an eating disorder was in Frankie's future? I seem to remember a side conversation between Mom and Frankie that raised a red flag to me as well. Now we have them emotional eating. They were a mostly fluff plot that concluded with a satisfying attempt to confront what is bothering them instead of hiding away with a pile of doughnuts but maybe this could be build up to something more.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

1419:

wow we are actually seeing Ali and Jenna again.

it was nice seeing them awknowledge the miles/tristan relationship even if its not good for them. i do like the new guy for tristan and i like the zoe/miles thing too.

I know clare is going through a lot but she doesnt have to be so rude to Ali.

Love seeing cute zaya but its hard to watch zig get trapped into that again.

1420:

tiny is pretty funny but i like when zig stands up to him

zaya their high scenes were so funny. and while its not great that they had sex on drugs i think it makes for an interesting storyline. i like that they lost it together. the ending scene was adorable.

i dont like miss pill. she just bores me.

frankie has a nice voice. but I'm still laughing at degrassi suddenly turning into a musical haha.

Last edited by Alexa; 08-02-2015 at 03:00 PM
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread