Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Episode 1314 Discussion- Barely Breathing- MTV Canada & TeenNick (11/7)

Rules -

1. No passing judgement or mocking the fans of characters or ships. Do not shame another poster for liking something you do not.
2. Please use constructive criticism. Try to focus on the episode itself. We encourage you to use our anti-threads if you need to express your overall dislike of a character or couple, especially since other boards at do not allow them. Take advantage of them here.
3. Do not ask for or discuss illegal downloads, especially including leaks (if they should occur). Discuss any links to download/live stream sources via private messaging.
4. Promos that air on television as well as online articles by reputable sources are not considered spoilers are are open for speculation. For more detailed information on spoilers read this thread.

Everyone keeps asking
What's it all about?
I used to be so certain
Now I can't figure out

1314- Barely Breathing

Thursday, November 7th, 9:00 PM ET on MTV Canada and TeenNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap2It
Maya's friends give her conflicting advice about how to handle her tormentors. While out on one of his drunken stupors, Dallas runs into some crazy guy smoking crack and claiming to be a powerful person in the city.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

thanks for the thread.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Extreme Fan

Finally, I was able to see an episode live. And it's a good one too.

Wow, Luke for the first time in forever. And looks like a Nikki Gould is in the main cast...was that the goth hacker Grace? So many new people...

A-Plot. Aw, I wished that the hints that Zoe ran the Facebook page last week was misdirection, but alas. She is tremendously petty. Plus I liked the way this was written where you know Maya should've done the right thing, but the initial injustice of it all had you feeling for her one way or the other. The death threat was over the line though.

Miles/Zoe continues on it's brisk clip (I still think Miles will end up with Tristan)

B-Plot. Aw, Dallas. It makes sense that he was cut from the team, new talent plus he's a fifth-year senior. And I'm glad we got a "bro" moment with Drew and Dallas, I needed that testosterone shot. I don't think the Mr. and Mrs. Torres would have a problem with him staying in the home as well as Drew since they just lost Adam.

C-Plot. Okay, so as predicted Alli went back to Leo. However, I'm glad at least she made it clear he's needs to get therapy before she feels safe with him. With that ultimatum, I'm not sure if they're going to go in the direction I think they're going to go (Leo beating the daylights out of Alli, Dallas swoops in). We'll see.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Part-Time Fan

I just realized the 2nd plot in the description for the OP was a joke based on what happened in Toronto, Canada with the mayor (drunken-stupor and smoking crack).
Good show!

Miles didn't get suspended and he was the reason Maya even made that goddamn song. Smfh.

Alli taking Leo back, so we have even more drama when **** hits the fan a third time.

Grace is a cutie. Kind of strange how she share's Adam's birthname (given by parents, but not what he wanted)...actually, it's really strange. I know it was 'Gracie', but Grace and Gracie as names are too close to eachother to not come across as 'wtf' to me (as a viewer).

Drama over Miles. Jfc. No. All three were wrong. I'm still stumped at Zoe making such horrible photoshops. If you can get 200 dollar pants, you can afford a professional photoshop master or some crap to make better/more convincing nude photoshops of Maya.

Mrs. Matlin and Ms. Rivas - passive as hell. We already know Zoe's mom is a crappy parent, but Mrs. Matlin should be trying harder. At least she wanted to allow Maya the option to press charges against Zoe at the end, but uggh.
lexiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I forgot to set to tape this so I'm going to have go online to refer to things until they repeat the episode, which with TeenNick should be sometime in 2016. But, let's see....in an older format....

Nikki Gould, yeah, this one slipped by me. I can't remember ever seeing anything about her being in the cast and I couldn't find anything about her online either. I'm assuming she's Grace, the goth computer girl. I have to agree about the name being close to Adam's given name, but she's at least on the surface different than the other new characters, and that's something.

Speaking cast members, hello again Luke! And when he returns, it doesn't involve his sister.

What's the most fake thing we've seen recently on the show? Leo's smack of Alli? Miles' punch of the groper? Townsend's accent? Or maybe it's Leo's accent? There's a lot of candidates.

I was hoping this would be the end of the Alli/Leo saga, but I guess that probably needs to be an A-plot. I did like that she set the ground rules of him getting therapy, not that it's likely to change anything. I was disappointed about the lack of Jenna and Clare in that plot.

One of the things I really liked about Dallas last season was that he had no delusions about playing in the NHL. Flash forward to this season and now he's off on a bender after his NHL dreams are dying after being cut from his team. Okay, I can understand still wanting to play in the NHL and I don't really have a problem with him taking being cut so hard. Still, it seemed a little off. Maybe, we just needed to see more of it. It really should have been a main plot. The "brother" scene with him and Drew was a good one, though.

And Maya and Zoe. Sigh. I really wished they hadn't gone the obvious route in having Zoe do the Facerange page. Oh well. I still found the song to be a way over the top reaction to it, but perhaps that's my annoyance at yet another a dish by the writers of "evil Zoe hurting poor little Maya" showing through. Here's the thing, though, I really like watching those two together. I think the play well off each other and Olivia and Ana have a great chemistry. But, they have to screw it up by bringing Miles into the equation. The less said there, the better. At least he apologized for calling Maya a ****. I guess that's something.

I thought last week's episode was the best of this run, and probably of this season. This was a little bit of a step down.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:52 AM
Addicted Fan

I liked the past two episodes more than anything else this season so far.

I hope Grace is someone they plan on upgrading and isn't just another Talia. There hasn't been a character like her in a long time and it'd be refreshing.

I kind of wish Maya had pressed charges against Zoe after her smirk when leaving Simpsons office but I guess that'd ruin any chances of them developing a friendship in the future.

I loved the Dallas/Drew moments but I agree with JustMe2000, last season he pretty much said he knew he was never going pro and seemed perfectly fine with it. However he did really love being on the team so I can see how losing that would hurt.

The scene with Alli looking at the question on her SAT test was a powerful scene but I wish she would just break up with him for good already.

Last edited by ihavealife2uknow; 11-08-2013 at 07:07 AM
ihavealife2uknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

This episode was ok. I'm tired of maya and all those guys. She's how old? and I loved the appearance of Luke, and the dallas and drew moments. They are my all time favorite characters. I saw the promo for next week. I'm tired of eclare having a main plot and I'm almost ready to jump off the eclare ship. they're getting predictable.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Master Fan

Still waiting on Miles and Tristan...

minkyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Part-Time Fan

Hm. So it seems that Luke is still a regular (as noted by Craig Arnold's name appearing with the main cast in the credits) as well as a new character named Grace. That's kinda exciting. Grace seems like a modern version of Ellie (who was one of my favorite characters so that's awesome). I'm also happy they discussed **** shaming. It's pretty important.

It bothered me, however, that the song seemed so OOC for Maya (even though she went through a lot of problems regarding Zoe). I mean, she just lost her boyfriend the year before to suicide, and now she's encouraging someone's death? I don't even think she would take that step.
Astroman129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Part-Time Fan

Just finished watching the episode, the obvious thing is that Maya singing about wanting Zoe dead while staring her down was the most metal thing ever.

Also, Alli and her streak of good decisions lasted on episode, and spanned 2 good decisions. Granted, she did better than Manny did, her streak being none episodes and her good decisions amounting to 0, but it's remarkable how bad of decisions Alli makes. I like Alli a lot, but I don't get where this storyline can end, either Leo gets control and they live happily forever, Leo hits Alli again and Alli leaves him, or Leo beats Alli to death and they make a sincere message about domestic abuse. I doubt it's the third, but the third is the only way I can see Alli making up with Leo progressing in any way.

There's the fourth option where they hardcore recycle Craig and his Dad's storyline where his dad gets help and eventually snaps, and then dies, leaving the abused confused about how they should feel, but that storyline was handled beautifully, because Craig got away from his father and the abuse, and when he came back and started to get back in the good graces of his son, it made the eventual snap all the more hardcore and the confused feeling of "I hated him, but i'm sad he's gone" make complete sense, say Leo snaps and hits Alli and then dies, can Alli really be upset?

I hope the Zoe and Maya rivalry continues, because Zoe is a fantastic villain.
Maple Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman129 (View Post)
Hm. So it seems that Luke is still a regular (as noted by Craig Arnold's name appearing with the main cast in the credits) as well as a new character named Grace. That's kinda exciting. Grace seems like a modern version of Ellie (who was one of my favorite characters so that's awesome). I'm also happy they discussed **** shaming. It's pretty important.

It bothered me, however, that the song seemed so OOC for Maya (even though she went through a lot of problems regarding Zoe). I mean, she just lost her boyfriend the year before to suicide, and now she's encouraging someone's death? I don't even think she would take that step.
Have you not been paying attention? Degrassi glossing over the fact that Cam killed himself has been happening since season 13 started. I'm almost convinced that it was just a what if story and it wasn't actually canon.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Part-Time Fan

fun fact: The first video I made took a week, the last one took several hours, this one took about 3 if you factor in cutting out the tweets, the clips and rendering it. I'm getting surprisingly proficient at this, can I get some feedback, maybe tweet the video yourselves? It would really be appreciated.

Any criticisms? Requests for other episodes? Some other Degrassi related video? I'm open to suggestions, criticism, anything, just please, send the video around, thank you

p.s I made the intro from tweets I made months and months ago with a little dash of pop song rap verse, what do you, the viewer, think?

Alli good decision count: 2
Manny good decision count: 0
Old 11-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Love the enthusiasm, Maple Crunch, but it's against rules to double post. In the future just edit your posts if there hasn't been a new post since yours.

I'm also glad to see you post another twitter video as I enjoyed the others you've posted. Just keep in mind that is a PG-13 site so if there's a lot of non-PG-13 language in the video you might want to post a link rather than embed it. Either way, though, keep those coming because I'm enjoying them.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe2000 (View Post)
there's a lot of non-PG-13 language in the video
I don't know what you're talking about

Old 11-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I really care less about maya. She gets too much time and too many guys. she's too young.