Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 01:03 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Episode 1233/1234 Discussion - Ray of Light - 3/1 & 3/8 on MuchMusic & TeenNick

Important -

Everyone here is well aware of the episodes leaking. Please be advised that no matter when the episode becomes available in other outlets, until it actually first airs on television, it's against rules to openly discuss the details of the episode in any form here or anywhere else on this board. Please remember, that the main reason for this rule is for the consideration of other posters who either can't or choose not to view the leaked episodes prior to the 9:00 PM ET airing on Much/TeenNick. For further details on the spoilers rules here at and how they apply to this board specifically, please visit our spoilers policy thread.

Ray of Light, part 1, 9:00 PM ET on March 1st, on MuchMusic and TeenNick
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuchMusic
Eli throws himself into the video yearbook to try and forget recent events. When Clare becomes more therapist, and less girlfriend, Eli tries to escape by attending a Gourmet Scum concert and dropping acid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap2It
Eli invites Jake and Mo to a secret party.
Ray of Light, part 2, 9:00 PM ET on March 8th, on MuchMusic and TeenNick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap2It
Clare becomes overprotective while worrying about Eli's mental state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuchMusic, via CableTvTalk
Jenna will make it her mission to let Degrassi students know that somebody cares and that they’'re not alone. But who will be there for her? A very unlikely candidate steps up. Eli and Clare come to a crossroads.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Heartstopper

Tonighttttttttttttttttttttttttt!

nick ♥ charlie
jordan ○ icon
Simon Spier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the title.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

best part of the ep
Old 03-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Addicted Fan

I have to admit I was expecting more from this episode... hopefully part 2 will be better. I'll do a full write-up tomorrow (maybe). At the moment, I'm underwhelmed.

The Connor/Jenna stuff was super cute, though.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:17 PM
New Fan

I haven't watched, but the possibility of a Connor/Jenna pairing sounds interesting. I'm glad we are finally getting Connor more involved.
Jhonmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:21 PM
New Fan

Was this episode a bad joke?
Daisytiffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

- Hey Luke...good to see you're still an ass.
-A call back to Connor and Jenna hanging out while doing Romeo and Jules? I approve.
-Connor asking Jenna out? Very awkward, but him just doing it is a big step forward from when we first saw him on the show.
-Connor's reference to "Mr. Simpson" makes me wonder if that was Connor's idea to refer to him as "Mr. Simpson" outside of school situations? It would seem to me that the Snake we've seen over the years would want him to call him Snake or Archie.
-The whole first date between them was awkward in exactly the right way. Very much reminded me of a first date.

-An update on Katie's post high school plans? Again, I approve, even if it is ridiculous to suggest that she could get a "kick ass summer job" and pair it with a $10,000 student loan and go to $50,000 a year for tuition and room and board Stanford...
-Katie's lunch with Marisol and the boys, I like Mo, but wow was that pretty over the top cruel. He probably does know how miserable Jake was after that though, so it makes sense he'd want to stick up for his buddy, but still...
-Jake singing the WhisperHug song was all kinds of awesome.
-Katie hanging with Maya's friends? Another super awkward social situation. And Katie flipping the manager? Well, at least it wasn't Zig. Although I guess, for some that might be a bad thing.
-Loved the conversation between the Matlin girls, and the way Maya called out Katie on how she hasn't been the same since Vegas and telling her that she, not Maya, needed help. It was one of the highlights of the episode.

-"Yeah, do it! I really wanna know." & "Woo! Boys night out!" Jake....
-Justin does such a good job with the comedy that his dramatic moments, such as Jake's conversation with Katie when she tried to apologize, often go unnoticed. It's a shame the show hasn't given him more to do.
-Jake, Mo and Eli? Degrassi's Three Stooges, although in this situation Eli would be Moe, while Mo would be Curly and Jake would be Larry.
-I realize I'm probably the only one that got that reference, but so be it.
-Speaking of Moe and Jake, the way Moe was still casually rolling paint on Jake's shirt while the two of them stood stunned while watching Eli crowd surf at the party was classic.
-Dallas's comment about cropping Cam out was interesting considering the way Degrassi has been cropping out leaving cast members from the opening credits.
-Fiona, Eli, Clare and Dallas. That's an interesting group to have together in one scene. And not jumping at each other's throats.
-The best parts of this plot for me was when Eli had the camera in the beginning and when he was looking at the clips (especially, but not just, Cam and Maya) later on.

I really enjoyed the Connor/Jenna plot and there were some good moments in both the Katie and Eli plots, but I think each could have used another scene to tie things together. Maybe we'll get that with next week's episode.

Eli- 42
Jenna- 32
Katie- 28
Mo- 21
Connor- 19
Jake- 19
Maya- 16
Marisol- 10
Clare- 9
Fiona- 9
Tristan- 9
Talia- 8

Eli 49
Katie- 27
Jenna- 27
Clare- 26
Connor- 15
Jake- 15
Snake- 13
Maya- 11
NYU Interviewer- 8

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar

Last edited by JustMe2000; 07-11-2013 at 06:12 PM
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:49 AM
Dedicated Fan

After suffering through last week's choppy, rushed, and at times badly acted episode, this is a somewhat welcome return. While Katie and Eli's behaviors are in considerable part influenced by traumatic events, the show locates that Degrassi sweet spot. Degrassi receives much credit for it's handling of topical situations but it is at it's best when it demonstrates an almost sweet natured authenticity in it's depiction of the bonds between it's teen characters.

For example, the combination of the bond between Jake and Moe along with the more recent bond between Eli and Jake allows for a 3 way friendship that feels lived in and one in which there is a comprehension of what would draw each to the other. Eli's penchant for dramatic self-seriousness persona, Moe's sometimes a bit too much joking persona, and Jake's laidback stoner persona play off of each other well.

The 9ers work best as it did tonight with Maya, Tori, and Tristan. While the loss of Cam is significant for many reasons (not least for being the best actor playing a current 9er) and Zig (no comment) has his fans, the Maya/Tori/Tristan bond has always felt the more involving. Maya/Tori, as friends, and Tori/Tristan, as friends, have a chemistry that is remarkable. Their moments feel real.

We also get to see the Dallas/Fiona friendship (a straight guy/lesbian friendship that has stayed away from cliches) and the Katie/Marisol friendship. These friendships again feel unforced.

Lastly, we get some romance. I hope they don't come back to the Luke/Jenna thing. The Conner/Jenna situation is far more intriguing. Degrassi has had several engaging romances over the last few years. It has hit home runs with Fiona/Imogen and the revolutionary Adam/Becky. The Moe/Marisol romance has begun to hit it's stride. Conner/Jenna could be transitory. However I hope the show sticks with it awhile. A boy with Asperger's Syndrome and a girl who has already had a baby, both outsiders in their own way, finding possible love is a route that offers tremendous potential.
Inesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Addicted Fan

I thought this was a decent ep, but it was lacking... something.

I really loved the last scene at the party. It was beautifully shot. I'm fascinated by Talia for some reason. Something about her just pulls you in. The party itself was so weird, though. I understand that everyone there was on drugs, but it just seemed... weird! (The best part is I was watching this episode with my mom, and she's like, "What is this, a painting party?" ) I mean it made for some really awesome visuals, but it was so bizarre.

Oh, I was also kinda disappointed that when Eli says, "Are you hearing this right now?" it didn't cut to classical music like in the TeenNick promo. I liked that so much better! Really wanted to hear his auditory hallucination.

And I guess Jake is just high all the time now? Don't get me wrong, it's entertaining, but I wonder how long he can get away with this. I also find it slightly disconcerting that Mo is also using something, considering it wasn't that long ago that Marisol accused him of doing drugs and he wasn't. I wonder if she knows or if she would have a problem with it.

Matlin sisters plot: I guess it's nice that they're trying to incorporate the Vegas storyline in an attempt to prove that the movie wasn't completely pointless, but the fact is I just don't care. I also don't care about Jatie and I want them to stay broken up because I much prefer Jake on his own. Katie is my least favorite character but I definitely find her more tolerable when she's in scenes with Maya. I liked the Tori/Tristan/Katie interactions too. I wish we had more Maya in this episode. To see her smiling and singing was... jarring, to say the least. I guess this is the calm before the storm, for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe2000 (View Post)
An update on Katie's post high school plans? Again, I approve, even if it is ridiculous to suggest that she could get a "kick ass summer job" and pair it with a $10,000 student loan and go to $50,000 a year for tuition and room and board Stanford...
I can't believe it's a $10,000 loan and not a scholarship. But it's okay, she's totally gonna get that au pair job. As long as they pay her a minimum of $100/hour, she'll be set! Or maybe she could work with Drew at the mall kiosk! (Of course, if you can find a summer job that will pay you 40 grand for 2 months of work, WHY EVEN GO TO COLLEGE?!?!)

Lastly, I really enjoyed Jenna and Connor together. I think they're so cute and for some crazy reason, they work. Both of them were completely in-character and it just made sense. I loved it. I'm completely on board with these space cadets!
Old 03-02-2013, 10:47 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellifluouscloud (View Post)
And I guess Jake is just high all the time now? Don't get me wrong, it's entertaining, but I wonder how long he can get away with this. I also find it slightly disconcerting that Mo is also using something, considering it wasn't that long ago that Marisol accused him of doing drugs and he wasn't. I wonder if she knows or if she would have a problem with it.
What made you think Jake and Mo were high? Jake specifically told Eli he was all out of weed and we didn't see either of them take any drugs at the party; Jake and Mo both also looked very worried when they saw Eli, high as a kite, crowd surfing. I didn't think either of them were high, they just seemed to be having fun slopping paint all over each other.

Honestly, my biggest thought throughout that entire storyline was "OH MY GOD THEY ARE TOTALLY RUINING ALL THEIR CLOTHES." I'd have a fit at a party like that.

Anyway, I thought this episode has a slightly weird tone, and while I understand what's going on with Eli, it hasn't really drawn me in yet. The most interesting moments in his storyline were the ones on the sidelines, like the debate over Campbell being in the video yearbook or even just Mo "grabbing Jake's waist" as they entered the party. I love Jake and Mo so much.

And I know Degrassi's activities and hours make no sense, but why were they all allowed to play video games at school?

The Katie plot was a little more interesting, even if Katie's one of my least favorite characters. I couldn't care less about her getting into college (because I hated that Vegas plot so much, not to mention that it's unrealistic), but the consequences of her almost having sex for money combined with the likely guilt over Cam (it wasn't stated but it was at least slightly implied that she's feeling off because of that too) was an interesting thing to watch. I'm curious to see where it takes her. Back to Jake? In a new direction?

Maya seeming perfectly happy and normal doesn't surprise me, since her reaction to Cam's death has largely been denial mixed with anger. It's going to hit her all at once at the worst possible moment, but in the meanwhile, I'm happy to see her enjoying herself, and it's nice to see Maya, Tori and Tristan back together again.

Ever since we first saw Connor and Jenna together, I thought it would be a dream. I imagined it would be a big crush on Connor's end and go nowhere. I'm happy to find that, not only am I wrong, but that Jenna kind of started the whole thing. They were really cute together, and they worked a lot. If a girl wouldn't fall for Connor's first date, then she needs to reevaluate her priorities, heh. Connor's been one of my favorite characters for a while, and I relate to him a lot, so it's great to see him getting some love, and I've really grown to like Jenna in recent seasons as well, so I hope to see great things from these guys. I was very happy with this plot.
Pivitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivitor (View Post)
What made you think Jake and Mo were high? Jake specifically told Eli he was all out of weed and we didn't see either of them take any drugs at the party; Jake and Mo both also looked very worried when they saw Eli, high as a kite, crowd surfing. I didn't think either of them were high, they just seemed to be having fun slopping paint all over each other.
In the opening scene, the way Mo asks, "What did you just call us?" and Jake's "Yeah, do it!" -- they both sound completely stoned to me. Throughout the episode, they were so giggly and out of it. I interpreted this as them being high basically the entire time (especially Jake, maybe not Mo). Maybe we were supposed to see it as them being "goofy" but I definitely saw it as something else.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:34 PM
New Fan

Maybe it's just me, but I fund this episode absolutely awful, irresponsible, and hard to sit through.

They say they're trying to not set bad examples so they don't want to show us how he died. Fine, I understand. I do think they should have shown his final moments though and it was done too disconnected no matter what they were trying to do. Regardless, setting a bad example is having a character commit suicide and in the next episode, not even showing anyone mourning.

The episode was about drugs, karaoke, partying, and Jaties relationship drama. What? In my opinion this episode was so irresponsible it makes me sick. A kid just killed himself. Show some more respect towards him.

Maya was barely in it! Her and Dallas and the hockey team needed to be shown. I love Eli, but enough! Maya singing and laughing, unnecessary. I get what they're trying to do with her but that was just so...ughh. Jenna and Connor were cute, but now wasn't the time.

This is NOT how they should portray the aftermath of a suicide. They don't want to give anyone ideas? Well, they gave off the idea that suicide is no big deal and people get over it quick, and that being high all the time is sooo much fun. Jake hasn't had one consequence to this.

Bittersweet symphony was a huge let down as well, should have been executed differently, and definitelyyyy should have been one episode. So disappointed, though I know I may be in the minority.
Daisytiffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Addicted Fan

They might have been but I don't think they were high, the writers tend to write the Jake/Mo friendship with over the top silliness. I think back to a time where they had Mo say silly stuff like "I'm broke as a joke no cheddar whatsover -lays on ground-" and it reminds me of their behavior in this episode.

Part 1 was kind of weird but in a good way. I enjoyed the Eli and Connor/Jenna stuff and I was kind of bored with Katie's. I don't have a whole lot to say about it but I was really surprised by how much chemistry I saw in them right from the get go. I hope it works well for Connor and she doesn't ditch him for Luke.
ihavealife2uknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Part-Time Fan

Part 1 felt like it was mainly setting up for Part 2, as it usually does. I liked it, but I agree I was expecting a bit more.

And on another note, what Connor did for Jenna on their date was so awesome! He's definitely a keeper!