Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Episode 1231/32 Discussion- Bitter Sweet Symphony- 2/15 & 2/22 on MuchMusic & TeenNick

Important -

Everyone here is well aware of the episodes leaking. Please be advised that no matter when the episode becomes available in other outlets, until it actually first airs on television, it's against rules to openly discuss the details of the episode in any form here or anywhere else on this board. Please remember, that the main reason for this rule is for the consideration of other posters who either can't or choose not to view the leaked episodes prior to the 9:00 PM ET airing on Much/TeenNick. For further details on the spoilers rules here at and how they apply to this board specifically, please visit our spoilers policy thread.

Well I've never prayed
But tonight I'm on my knees, yeah
I need to hear some sounds that recognize the pain in me, yeah
I let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind, I feel free now
But the airwaves are clean and there's nobody singing to me now

1231/1232- Bitter Sweet Symphony- part 1 (February 15th) and part 2 (February 22nd) on MuchMusic and TeenNick, 9:00 PM ET.

Synopsis:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuchMusic
It’s a new semester, but Cam’s hesitant about coming back to Degrassi after an amazing week at home. Dallas wants a date with a reluctant Alli and makes it his mission to win her over. A major turn of events for Eli brings back things past. Connor and Mr. Simpson decide to play Frisbee with Jack's head.

Credit to the one and only Lady Azura for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:03 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe2000 (View Post)
Connor and Mr. Simpson decide to play Frisbee with Jack's head.
I have a bad feeling this D-plot may not end well for little Jack.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:02 AM
Loyal Fan

More excited about this episode then I've been in a long time.
ihavealife2uknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...

Tonightttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Addicted Fan

^ I enjoy crackships, but where does Zig/Jake even come from?! Have they ever interacted?

This post is going to seem so bizarrely off-topic in retrospect. I apologize
Old 02-15-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyboy11 (View Post)
Tonightttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!
So excited!
Especially for all the new Zig stuff. He's one of my favorite characters.
Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Addicted Fan

Zig is my favorite character.

I went to my parents' house specifically so I can watch this episode live. (They get TeenNick and I don't.) No shame~
Old 02-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...

Only Degrassi could make me excited AND nervous at the same time!
Old 02-15-2013, 06:36 PM
Addicted Fan

SHOULD HAVE AIRED BOTH PARTS TOGETHER. I mean we all know how this is going to end...

Great episode, though. Especially loved Jake's faces and Zig. Cam's video message was adorable. I'm definitely going to watch it again and come back later with more coherent thoughts.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Yeah, all those times they have an hour-long special premiere when a new batch of episodes start....and with this one they decide not to? Just doesn't make any sense.

More later.

Credit to the one and only Lady Azura for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Dedicated Fan

The Eli part is easy to discuss. Eli is completely wrong and there are no excuses to his behavior.

Now comes the difficult storyline.

Cam's homesickness has been set up for awhile. We are also aware that Zig and Maya cheated behind Cam's back. Cam has forgiven Maya (in a scene that showed that deep down Cam is both a good young person and a sensitive one). However there is a staggering lack of awareness by Maya and Zig who kid away. Maya, who truly seems in love with Cam, doesn't seem to comprehend that forgiveness of a betrayal does not mean that the emotional wreckage such a betrayal brings to a romantic partner does not just melt away. As for Zig, more on that piece of **** in a moment.

Cam though is wrong to get violent against the utterely repellent Zig. Maya gives up Cam and gets him suspended. Maya is not in the wrong. She is being truthful and she is, keeping in character, turned off by Cam beating up Zig. That said there is again some lack of awareness. A simple clue for anyone - if you mess around behind someone's back and then want to remain with your love it is not respectful to one's relationship to think the friendship with the other cheater should be maintained. Maya has destroyed friendship with her best friend Tori and seriously hurt her boyfriend. She needs to be more aware.

Still it must be remembered she is a young teen. Dallas may be older but, as with Maya's foolish lack of awareness, his tough love style is not purposefully cruel. He lacks an understanding that noticeable Alli has. Sadly, Alli's talk with Dallas may have come too late.

Cam is a sensitive, lonely young person. He is in love for the first time and he has decided to remain with a girl who cheated on him (it wasn't sex but it was a mutual kiss). He has no family to go to. The closest thing to an older brother figure, Dallas, only serves to hurt him more with his angry lectures.

It is important to stress this first. If Cam does indeed so something stupid, it is not Maya's or Dallas's or Zig's responsibility. That said, Zig's behavior is very different from Maya and Dallas. Maya and Dallas are unaware of how they come across. They are ultimately well-meaning. The vile Zig is a whole other case.

Now I have never liked the Zig character. The actor is bland and I have always seen him as a case of a character solely designed to appeal to young persons who are only interested in looks. There is little personality there.

But Zig has become one of the vile characters that shows up here and there in Degrassi's history. If Maya felt guilt over her kiss with Zig, Zig feels none. To him, Cam's and Tori's feelings don't exist. Tristan is right early on. Maya is not a bad person. Zig is. In the Principal's office, Zig takes no responsibility. He could easily have said to Snake "I did something wrong that hurt Cam. And I continued to push his buttons today." Snake would of course still have suspended Cam but at least Zig would have shown a soul.

Zig though than unleashes one of the most vile, hateful speeches in the history of Degrassi. Cam starts it but what he says is understandable. Zig is coming on to Cam's girlfriend with no respect for Cam at all. Zig's response is to attack Cam with the harshest, most hateful words possible. Zig is your typical bully. He is a punk. His cruelty knows no bounds. It is not enough to betray Cam's friendship and to continue flirting with Cam's girlfriend. Zig still cannot apologize and show contrition. Zig has no clue that he is the scumbag in this matter.

Last edited by Inesal; 02-15-2013 at 07:20 PM
Inesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:34 PM
Loyal Fan

Someone pleeeeeeeeeeease talk to Cam.

A-Plot. I don't hate Zig but he most definitely needs to step off, especially after Maya told him repeatedly that nothing will come between her and Zig and he's interfering in her relationship.

Cam just broke my heart, and it helps that Dylan Everett can cry on cue like woah. He's obviously homesick and trapped, but he also seems to have an underlying mental disorder that no one is really looking into. Maybe if he was closer to home, he'd get the help he needs. Dallas seems to care, but he also cares about winning and his approach isn't helping at all. I loved Alli's line saying that tough love doesn't work all the time, something that needs to said more and more. And he doesn't want to drag Maya into his drama....just someone pleeeeeease talk to him.

B-Plot. Welp, Eli's Crazy Jealous Guy tendencies strike again. At least this didn't come out of nowhere, off meds and on meds he has shown that he can be very possessive of whomever he's seeing. And he was totally wrong to read Clare's journal. I suppose that he cannot trust her after all. This was mainly setup to whatever EClare plot that happens throughout 12C, but it was good setup. Plus, they made good, short usuage of Jahmil French who I REALLY hope comes back.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Fan

I dont think you can blame anyone in this situation but Cam's mother for not noticing her child needed help.

With Cam and Zig, neither is innocent. Cam is the one that picked the fight with Zig, then he is the one that picked the fight with him on the stairs and of course Zig will argue back. I still love Zig and hope Cam's death will give him more depth.

Eli you have no right to be upset at Clare. What she wanted to do whhen you two were broken up doesnt effect you!

All in all I loved this episode. Wished it was an hour long.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:10 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaJ (View Post)
Someone pleeeeeeeeeeease talk to Cam.

A-Plot. I don't hate Zig but he most definitely needs to step off, especially after Maya told him repeatedly that nothing will come between her and Zig and he's interfering in her relationship.
I will be very interested in fan reaction to Zig's behavior tonight. This is of course an issue that is of concern. The behavior of attractive men being rationalized. For example, will a person go Cam started the fight while avoiding how Zig continued to come on to his girlfriend right in front of him? Will a person say since Cam told Zig that Maya had chosen him that means Zig saying he is mentally disturbed is okay? Will such rationalizations occur because certain viewers find Zig to be cute?

One would hope fan reaction would, while understanding Zig should not be held responsible if Cam does something stupid, see that Zig's behavior has been appalling. Hopefully we won't get rationalization for his betrayal of Tori, his refusal to back off when Maya has told him to, his flirting with Maya in front of Cam, and tonight''s horrific moment when he called Cam a psycho.

I don't hate Zig though I find him to be a vile character (let alone a badly acted one). But the audience reaction in these cases often disturbs me.
Inesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inesal (View Post)
I will be very interested in fan reaction to Zig's behavior tonight. This is of course an issue that is of concern. The behavior of attractive men being rationalized. For example, will a person go Cam started the fight while avoiding how Zig continued to come on to his girlfriend right in front of him? Will a person say since Cam told Zig that Maya had chosen him that means Zig saying he is mentally disturbed is okay? Will such rationalizations occur because certain viewers find Zig to be cute?

One would hope fan reaction would, while understanding Zig should not be held responsible if Cam does something stupid, see that Zig's behavior has been appalling. Hopefully we won't get rationalization for his betrayal of Tori, his refusal to back off when Maya has told him to, his flirting with Maya in front of Cam, and tonight''s horrific moment when he called Cam a psycho.

I don't hate Zig though I find him to be a vile character (let alone a badly acted one). But the audience reaction in these cases often disturbs me.
Is Zig attractive. Yes but its not the reason I like him FYI. Zig never made a pass at Maya when she was with Cam nor were she and Cam together when her and Zig kissed.

Cam is the one that kept picking a fight with Zig! He physically assualted him and then picked on him when he was walking into the school. So excuse me for thinking assualt is worse than name calling

You want to demonize Zig while ignoring the fact Cam was to blame for the majority of the drama in this episode between him and Zig.