Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Episode 1118/1119 Discussion- Mr. Brightside 8/15/8/16- MuchMusic & TeenNick

Important -

Everyone here is well aware of the episodes leaking. Please be advised that no matter when the episode becomes available in other outlets, until it actually first airs on television, it's against rules to openly discuss the details of the episode in any form here or anywhere else on this board. Please remember, that the main reason for this rule is for the consideration of other posters who either can't or choose not to view the leaked episodes prior to the 9:00 PM ET airing on Much/TeenNick. For further details on the spoilers rules here at and how they apply to this board specifically, please visit our spoilers policy thread.

But she's touching his chest now
He takes off her dress now
Let me go
Because I just can't look, it's killing me
And taking control

1118/1119- Mr. Brightside, part 1 and part 2 Monday, August 15 and Tuesday, August 16, 9:00 PM ET on MuchMusic and TeenNick

Part 1 Synopsis:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuchMusic
Drew's ultimate fighting training is the only thing keeping him together -- and it's barely doing that. If he loses that... what else will he lose?
Part 2 Synopsis:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuchMusic
Alli's tired of sneaking around. And if anyone deserves her parents' blessing, it's Dave. Can she finally break down the Bhandari barrier?

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar

Last edited by kaleidocat; 08-15-2011 at 07:09 PM
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Master Fan

Actually I really liked this one!

The A-plot was great! Can't say I'm on board with Krew but as a Katie fan I think maybe Drew would be a good influence. I see no reason to ship though, they're no Drianca! But I think a friendship between them would be cool. If anything knowing this was set up for Krew was distracting because I like seeing a storyline that doesn't revolve around relationships. So far this season Drew's standing out to me. The way they're showing him dealing with PTSD and how slowly his reactions are evolving is perfect. I especially liked the Drew/Adam scene- "I like my violence virtual!" and Drew's interactions with Owen, Julian, and Mo. While it was realistic that Drew got a detention for the Simpson incident, Simpson should not be touching students. Especially considering two school years ago he got in trouble for that because of Darcy. I guess what it comes down to is that I like Drew's storyline a lot and I keep wanting more. I also loved Drew's strut down the hall followed by Katie basically copying it- what a great moment!

As for the B-plot, I liked it but I guess it wasn't anything mindblowing. I ship Bhandurner for sure and I couldn't help smiling during the first few scenes. But ultimately I feel like this can only end one way tomorrow: Alli introduces the real Dave to her parents and promises to continue to dating him no matter their reaction. I suppose it was just a little too predicatable for my taste. That said I think Jahmil and Melinda work great together! Their exchanges always feel easy going and real. That's the real strength of this relationship.

I'm glad Chloe was wrong about the C-plot being Eclare/Cake. I was worried that would be overkill. All and all I feel like HJ's storyline this season is paced a little strangely. There are some really great moments and then some scenes seem a bit dragged out. Having it play out as a subplot instead of an A-plot like last time was a great move. Since it wasn't filling as much time, the storyline moved a lot faster. Everything felt more urgent because of that! The strength of this plot continues to be Charlotte's acting. I love how she's able to act "quietly" - instead of making every moment into something huge and overdramatic we understand how Holly J feels with a single look. Also I'm really glad they brought up the legality of Dawn's request because I was wondering about that. And I'm really going to miss the Holly J/Fiona friendship next season they're like sisters and I really like that. Fiona's "yeesh" omg she sounded like my friend's Jewish grandmother and I love it!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Loyal Fan

I only have a few thoughts after part one:

Mrs. Bhandari never misses NCIS or CSI! Mr. Bhandari gets giddy over cricket! They are the most adorable parents ever.

A character doing a slow-motion strut down the hallway will never get old.

The Katie/Drew pairing seems random, even though I like both characters separately. I'm sure that, once again, they won't acknowledge the fact that Adam just had a crush on her a few episodes before. I was also generally confused that he was fighting with her after only talking to her twice. Otherwise, Drew's storyline is still strong.

I'm glad that Holly J's problems weren't signed away with a check by the Coynes -- how many teenagers out there give their friends $20,000 kidneys as a prom gift? It may still end that way, but I could understand her frustration with her mom at The Dot. Across from her little biological siblings, that scene is even stronger.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I continue to be impressed by Drew's storyline this season. It's funny because when he was introduced last summer he was one of the characters I disliked the most. It's actually quite a nice feeling to have him move up in rank and be so emotionally involved as I watch him on my screen. I love angsty male characters and he's giving me my fix. His slow and steady emotional breakdown seems so natural for him and it actually feels real. It would be easy to go over the top with the gang violence but I think the storyline is being handled very carefully. Drew's reactions, while not healthy, make sense for someone who is troubled and fearful. Loving it. Loving it. Never get better Drew. And I'm saying that because I like you.

The relationships of Drew/Katie and Dave/Alli are both interesting to me. I'm happy with both plots and their different complications.

And Dave is also a character who wasn't on my list of faves a season ago. When he was first introduced I didn't get the hype. And he's not typically the type of character I go for (class clowns). But like Drew, his character seems to be progressing. I love it when a character turns out to be something you'd never expect.

C-plot was fine. Happy that the Coynes couldn't throw their weight around financially and provide a quick fix. It adds more tension to this storyline. But I still don't really feel any danger. Possibly because fans tend to hype themselves up into a frenzy about a main character death. I just don't think it's going to go there, especially not because of kidney failure. This storyline is going to need to be wrapped up before the seniors graduate though. I'm hoping that's not the last we see of HJ's birth mother.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoshoujo (View Post)
Actually I really liked this one!

The A-plot was great! Can't say I'm on board with Krew but as a Katie fan I think maybe Drew would be a good influence. I see no reason to ship though, they're no Drianca! But I think a friendship between them would be cool. If anything knowing this was set up for Krew was distracting because I like seeing a storyline that doesn't revolve around relationships. So far this season Drew's standing out to me. The way they're showing him dealing with PTSD and how slowly his reactions are evolving is perfect. I especially liked the Drew/Adam scene- "I like my violence virtual!" and Drew's interactions with Owen, Julian, and Mo. While it was realistic that Drew got a detention for the Simpson incident, Simpson should not be touching students. Especially considering two school years ago he got in trouble for that because of Darcy. I guess what it comes down to is that I like Drew's storyline a lot and I keep wanting more. I also loved Drew's strut down the hall followed by Katie basically copying it- what a great moment!

As for the B-plot, I liked it but I guess it wasn't anything mindblowing. I ship Bhandurner for sure and I couldn't help smiling during the first few scenes. But ultimately I feel like this can only end one way tomorrow: Alli introduces the real Dave to her parents and promises to continue to dating him no matter their reaction. I suppose it was just a little too predicatable for my taste. That said I think Jahmil and Melinda work great together! Their exchanges always feel easy going and real. That's the real strength of this relationship.

I'm glad Chloe was wrong about the C-plot being Eclare/Cake. I was worried that would be overkill. All and all I feel like HJ's storyline this season is paced a little strangely. There are some really great moments and then some scenes seem a bit dragged out. Having it play out as a subplot instead of an A-plot like last time was a great move. Since it wasn't filling as much time, the storyline moved a lot faster. Everything felt more urgent because of that! The strength of this plot continues to be Charlotte's acting. I love how she's able to act "quietly" - instead of making every moment into something huge and overdramatic we understand how Holly J feels with a single look. Also I'm really glad they brought up the legality of Dawn's request because I was wondering about that. And I'm really going to miss the Holly J/Fiona friendship next season they're like sisters and I really like that. Fiona's "yeesh" omg she sounded like my friend's Jewish grandmother and I love it!
I liked this episode a lot more than the last two episodes because the writers weren't trying so desperately to make someone look sympathetic. I did think that the writers have ignored the whole Darcy/Snake situation and Ms. Dawes doesn't seem to be doing much supervising for the play. I think that Drew's PTSD is being dealt with realistically but Katie and Drew aren't Drew and Bianca but, I do think Katie and Drew could be friends. I think that there is a sense of urgency here that Holly J's storyline just doesn't and won't have.

I liked the Alli and Dave plotline because to me bringing Dave to meet her parents as a "friend" is a big step for Alli and at least Dave seems to treat her right unlike her previous boyfriends.

As for Holly J's plot, there is no sense of urgency here to me because I am sure things will work out fine for Holly J in the end. I have always enjoyed Fiona and Holly J's friendship because it is sincere and not just plot driven. I will really miss Holly J and Fiona's friendship in the fall. I liked how Fiona is encouraging Holly J not to give up on her dream of going to Yale because Holly J has no real connection to Degrassi with anyone who will be back in the fall outside of Fiona. I would hate to see Holly J added to the list of characters who had a dream but never got to see their dream become a reality for any number of reasons but most of the reasons involved really awkward storylines that often came across as insulting to the character and their fans. I do get the impression that Dawn was someone who got pregnant young and gave Holly J up for adoption with the hope that she could finish her education and Holly J could have a better life than Dawn could provide. However, Dawn still somehow ended up in a difficult situation and so it was hard to feel sympathy for her here. I am glad that Holly J did express her anger at Dawn because I think that at least it gives Dawn something to really think about. I think it would be hard for Dawn to explain to her kids when they are older that she could've helped their step sister but she chose to do nothing and so I liked seeing Holly J make Dawn feel guilty about her choice. I think that if someone was going to die that it is more likely to be someone who will actually be on the show in the fall and who'a death would actually affect the Degrassi student body but, Holly J dying wouldn't affect the students there much because the only real connection that she has left with the kids at Degrassi is with Fiona. I am sure that the Coynes will be there to help Holly J nontheless even if her family can't and Dawn won't.
Shipper Of: Holly J Sinclair and Declan Coyne, Degrassi's Power Couple, Sean Cameron and Emma Nelson, JT and Liberty, Drew and Bianca, Miles and Maya, Rob and Kristen Maddie and Wes, Riley and Lucas, Josh and Maya and Chuck and Blair, Jesse McKenna and Becca Thatcher and Simone and Eric Daniel and Noa, Max and Liz, Nikolas and Gia, Monse and Cesar and Ariana and Pete, Josh and Donna and Spencer and Trina, Miles and Lola

Last edited by Holland Fan Forever; 08-15-2011 at 07:51 PM
Holland Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

"So the principal finally figured out what's going on in his own school, how is that my problem?" Score a big one for Katie! And Drew, I know you're not the brightest bulb in the world, but I do hope you understand what anonymous means. I'm not sure what to think of Drew and Katie, but I am intrigued by them.

Alli can't help but play her games. She should have used Sav to run interference during the dinner. Papa Bhandari totally knows that Dave is Alli's boyfriend. Loved the little shout out to the original Tron with Wes's uncle- and the idea of Dave being comfortable with adults is a nice call back as well. Still enjoying this relationship.

The Holly J plot felt a little off to me. I'm not quite sure why, though. I think it might be the lack of parental involvement. I know Degrassi's mantra is the no adults working out the kids' problems, but this is their daughter's long term health. Not having them there every step of the way just makes it seem like they're almost neglectful of their daughter.

Oh and I still don't feel the urgency, either, although I am glad they dismissed the Coynes paying for Dawn's kidney right away. I did like Holly J laying into her. That seemed like something HJ needed to do, given everything that's piled up on her. Speaking of Dawn, unlike my fellow Mod, I actually wouldn't mind if this was the last we ever saw of her, even though I know it won't be. And that's not because I dislike her, I just think actually having a situation where things don't work out between Holly J and her birth mother would have been an interesting way to go.

One final thing, I have to say I love the way that Julian has morphed from the "tough teen" who was forcing Dave to taser Wesley last season into super duper MMA teen Julian this season.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:04 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland Fan Forever (View Post)
I think that if someone was going to die that it is more likely to be someone who will actually be on the show in the fall and who'a death would actually affect the Degrassi student body but, Holly J dying wouldn't affect the students there much because the only real connection that she has left with the kids at Degrassi is with Fiona. I am sure that the Coynes will be there to help Holly J nontheless even if her family can't and Dawn won't.
Holly J. is a big part of the Degrassi student body, even though she isn't friends with a large portion of it. She was the class president in the previous year and is now the vice-president of the entire school. She does the morning announcements and runs a lot of various events for the school. While she isn't the most popular, I think that if they were to kill her off (God forbid as I love her), the students of Degrassi would mourn the loss of her and it would affect some of the students.
coca colie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by coca colie (View Post)
Holly J. is a big part of the Degrassi student body, even though she isn't friends with a large portion of it. She was the class president in the previous year and is now the vice-president of the entire school. She does the morning announcements and runs a lot of various events for the school. While she isn't the most popular, I think that if they were to kill her off (God forbid as I love her), the students of Degrassi would mourn the loss of her and it would affect some of the students.
I think that while she is still involved in school activities that I think it's much more likely that the Drew and Bianca storyline will cause more issues for the entire student body than anything having to so with Holly J and her health issues. I don't want to see a repeat of what happened with JT Yorke where he was basically ignored and mentioned like a plot device. I think that we will see the Drew/Bianca storyline will be the issue that affects the students and may cause someone to be injured or pass away. I think that the show has really downplayed Holly J's involvement with student council and despite losing the election I still felt that she was the one in charge last season but even then I thought that she always had plenty to do without student council. It is way more likely to me that someone who could actually be back in the fall would die in some way over a senior who everyone knows from day one, scene one is already leaving.
Shipper Of: Holly J Sinclair and Declan Coyne, Degrassi's Power Couple, Sean Cameron and Emma Nelson, JT and Liberty, Drew and Bianca, Miles and Maya, Rob and Kristen Maddie and Wes, Riley and Lucas, Josh and Maya and Chuck and Blair, Jesse McKenna and Becca Thatcher and Simone and Eric Daniel and Noa, Max and Liz, Nikolas and Gia, Monse and Cesar and Ariana and Pete, Josh and Donna and Spencer and Trina, Miles and Lola
Holland Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:12 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe2000 (View Post)
Speaking of Dawn, unlike my fellow Mod, I actually wouldn't mind if this was the last we ever saw of her, even though I know it won't be.
I’m not entirely opposed to this idea either. I feel like both HJ and her birth mom were brought together under stressful circumstances. I know elsewhere there’s a lot of hate being slung towards the birth mom but I don’t really feel that way. She does have a family of her now that she’s supporting on her own and cannot take time off work unpaid. And I don’t blame Holly J for being alienated and angered about that when her life is on the line. And at the same time I wouldn't exactly blame the birth mom if she felt like she was being used in this situation...but I don't have a child, much less one I put up for adoption, so I don't know how you feel when that person resurfaces years later. I don't know if there's an immediate connection. Do you feel like strangers? I like it when a storyline produces a lot of mental back and forth discussion where I think about each character’s motivations and it’s working well here. I think one option for the storyline closure is that HJ’s family steps up and offers to help care for her birth mom and her children while she recovers (but that doesn’t help the work situation). I don’t know if this is realistic or possible. But I keep thinking about how HJ mentioned that she hadn’t discussed any of this with her mother yet…that conversation is coming and maybe a more helpful solution could come from it. But is it too much of a happy ending to have HJ get her kidney and bond with her birth mom (I need to learn and remember this woman's name) while they recover? I just don’t know how I want this storyline to end.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:19 AM
Master Fan

^ I dunno, that all seems a bit too happy ending and unrealistic to me. The whole element of money vs. family/blood obligation is interesting but I also don't know where the writers are going with it. On the one hand I can see why HJ is too distracted to have any major emotional reaction to meeting Dawn on the other it seems a bit unusual. I want things to work out in the end but I feel like if they bonded it would be way too cliche at this point. Dawn really doesn't seem to have much interest in that and neither does Holly J. Ugh, thinking about this really makes me realize I honestly have no idea exactly how I feel about this plot. Although my major issue with it remains the fact that I'm pretty sure HJ is not going to die. I also think the fact I'm so sure of that is the problem with this plot.

I dunno, I feel like I have one impression of this Holly J plot and then the more I think about it I have another. As a whole I have to admit I'm underwhelmed but at the same time there's moments I really like. I agree that there's just something "off" about it yet I don't think that was intentional. This will probably be one of those plots I'll have more to say about when it's all wrapped up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe2000 (View Post)
"So the principal finally figured out what's going on in his own school, how is that my problem?" Score a big one for Katie!
haha, I loved this line.

Quote:
One final thing, I have to say I love the way that Julian has morphed from the "tough teen" who was forcing Dave to taser Wesley last season into super duper MMA teen Julian this season.
I find it believable. I actually kinda like Julian popping up again in this plot. He and Owen are a good duo because they're obvious the school bullies but we're getting to see them out of that light which is pretty unusual for any teen drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland Fan Forever (View Post)
I liked this episode a lot more than the last two episodes because the writers weren't trying so desperately to make someone look sympathetic.
This is a legit point!

Last edited by Nekoshoujo; 08-16-2011 at 12:24 AM
Nekoshoujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:43 AM
New Fan

Drew storming out of the room at the end, pretty much made the episode for me.
Jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I liked the ep last night with Alli having Dave over.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Extreme Fan

These episodes were okay. But. Okay, in those Drew and Holly J's plots it really bugs me that like absolutely no parent is involved. This isn't like, a regular Degrassi plot or clubs or stuff this is someone's daughter needing a kidney and someone's son completely losing it.

A-Plot: Drew's storyline continues to be good. Katie's presence in it, I'm kinda ambivalent. I wanted to see more of Mo, Owen and Julian but I guess they can't fall in love with Drew. I guess this is the end of his downward spiral, but it reached an okay conclusion.

B-Plot: I know Dawn has hear reasons for asking for the money, but $20,000 for a kidney is illegal not to mention morally wrong. I wasn't surprised when Holly J flipped out on her. Of course we had our resolution and I liked the Dawn/Holly J scenes after the flip out but...I don't know. I don't think this was the best way to give Charlotte Gemini material. Stuffing an adoption story in an already compelling sickness storyline is too much. They should've just had her become better and give her something else. Then again, Declan's not around.

C-Plot: Cute. They haven't forgotten Dave is a charmer and he worked his magic with the Bhandaris. I probably would not have turned down the tea, I would've choked it down not to be rude. I like this couple, too bad they have another road bump. And surprise! Alli didn't do something totally stupid! Yay!

Oh and "Friend-boy?" I love you Mrs. Bhandari.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Extreme Fan

-Drew's story would be more powerful without Katie. I feel indifferent about Krew (Which I thought was used for KC and Drew but you learn something new every day, I guess).
-Katie felt out of character. She seemed so straight forward and 'takes no nonsense' but now she has the time to care about Drew.
-I'll admit I didn't pay attention last night but if Katie was so strict about Clare joining the newspaper then what was her explanation about Drew? Unless if she realized Drew was hurting and he needed it more than Clare or something, but still.
-Can Julian stay relevant?
-Glad the Holly J plot got resolved. I'd want Holly J or Fiona (or, I don't know, Holly J's babysitting squad) to baby sit Dawn's kids during Dawn's recovery.
-Fiona should just start a trust fund for every student at Degrassi. She should buy Mr.Perino (the one who took the bus?) a car, too.
-I feel really ashamed for thinking Degrassi would go the cheesy sitcom way and when Alli invited Dave over for the second time, he would act really sloppy or ghetto or embarrass her and stuff.
-I thought Degrassi would've just figure that keeping Alli on the science league was a lost cause and replace her or something. That's what would've happen in real life.
-I feel sad that the Drew breakdown plot is coming to an end. It's the end of an era!

This reminds me. We're 5 and a half weeks through Now or Never, with school coming closer.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I hated the Holly J plot. I hated that they just conveniently had a vintage prom dress for Fiona and Dawn to work around the grey moral area of buying a kidney. I hated that Fiona's money solved a problem for her friend. I really hated that once again, Holly J's mother was nowhere to be found until after the fact. About the only thing I liked was that they finally got Dawn and Holly J out of the Dot. Ugh.

On the other hand, I again really enjoyed the Dave/Alli plot. They have such a nice easy chemistry to them, and I'm happy that they're taking things very slow. I like the way they set up future stuff with them too, even if I think one of those "problems" should be a whole lot more minor than I'm sure the characters will view it.

I guess I'll show my age here, but Dave wearing a hat inside with Alli's girlfriend seemed like a no no to me, even if he wanted to show the "real Dave."

"Friend Boy"

I also really liked the Clare/Alli parts of this plot. It was great seeing Clare in the supporting role as Alli deals with her romantic misadventures. I'm sure we'll see plenty of the opposite in the next couple episodes.

Put me among those wondering where Drew's mother and (oh so useless in Degrassi terms) father was during this plot. Is he talking to a counselor, and if so why the hell not? With the way Mama Torres acts you would have thought that she would have dragged him to one by his ear if that's what it took. All that said, I did enjoy the dynamics between Drew and Owen/Julian and for the most part, him and Katie. The scene where he finally opened up to her was nicely done.

I too hope they find a way to keep Julian involved.

Lastly, I really hope this is the last we ever see of MMA on this show.

The line counts:

Part 1
Drew- 53
Alli- 44
Dave- 31
Holly J- 21
Julian- 16
Katie- 16
Mr. Bhandari- 16
Fiona- 12
Mo- 9
Owen- 9