Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Episode 1005/1006 Discussion - 99 Problems - July 26/27 (MuchMusic & TeenNick)

1005 - 99 Problems (1) - July 26, 9:00 PM ET (MuchMusic and TeenNick)
-Riley will do anything to win the QB position on the football team. But when his rival, Drew, threatens to "out" him, Riley is forced to take matters into his own hands. Alli tries out for the Power Squad. (MuchMusic)
-Drew is Riley's rival for the quarterback spot; Alli tries out for the Power Squad; Jenna becomes jealous. (MSN)

1006 - 99 Problems (2)- July 27, 9:00 PM ET (MuchMusic and TeenNick)
-Riley takes his feud with Drew too far, putting his position on the football team and relationship with Zane in jeopardy. Alli starts a Dance Troupe to rival the Power Squad. (MuchMusic)
-Riley and Owen play a prank on Drew; Alli wants to create a dance crew to rival the Power Squad; Jenna's jealousy gets the better of her. (MSN)
Old 07-25-2010, 06:16 PM
New Fan

who the heck is owen?
wolfpackfan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:02 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpackfan2010 (View Post)
who the heck is owen?
Probably an extra. Danny and Jane graduated, so the team must be mostly extras by now.

I like the episode title. Riley's got 99 problems, but a bitch ain't one.
EyeScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Part-Time Fan

NOOO. Does what I just saw, since I just watched the episode, mean Riley and Zane are... over?? D: They were my second favorite couple, and my first favorite hasn't even gotten together yet!
No!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclarelove (View Post)
NOOO. Does what I just saw, since I just watched the episode, mean Riley and Zane are... over?? D: They were my second favorite couple, and my first favorite hasn't even gotten together yet!
No!
I don't think so. I think that this is just another Riley moment. I think that he will come along, and Rane or Ziley, will become good.
The nape of your neck. Even the sound of the word nape sounds holy to me. That and the hallow of your neck, the peek of your chest that your shirt sometimes reveals. These are the stations of my quietest, most insistent desire.
-THE LOVER'S DICTIONARY-
stfu_itstess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Dedicated Fan

I'll bet anything that Zane and Riley are gonna get back together. And as much as I LOVE Zane, I think he should be more understanding of Riley's reluctance to come out so soon. I mean it's only been like a few months, and if he's not ready, he's not ready. But I see Zane's side too... Why be in a relationship if you can't be expressive about it?

I really liked part 1

Didn't Sav play football??
Janah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

The subtitle of this episode could be "those who have problems with clingy boyfriends and or girlfriends."

Jenna's insecurity is a bit ironic and I'm sure her haters are enjoying see other girls move in on her man KC. I don't hate her so I'm more so interested in where her insecurity might take her in later episodes. But it was annoying listening to her talk about how she wants to be the cheerleader that sits next to KC on the bus.

I was also bothered by how Zane wants to join the football team to hang out with Riley. It sounds like they have other activities they can do outside of school and that would be in Riley's comfort zone. I understand how he wants Riley to come out and "be himself" but Riley's just not ready for that. He's finally stopped harming himself with steroids or becoming angry over the slightest comment that he might be gay. And that was just last year. I think Riley is doing the best he can. The conversations and interaction between Zane and Riley is cute and I like that Zane is trying to support Riley, but I wish he would go a little bit easier on him. I'm sure Riley never lead him to believe that they would be an out couple in high school.

Oh and since I'm spoiled by some episode synopses, I have to say I'm pleased with how the show seems to be leaving some clues around that hint at what struggles a character might be going through later on.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Master Fan

I'm no Riley fan, but he was great in this episode. I'm loving Drew and Zane.

It's a shame that it's been nearly two years since he was introduced and Riley is still ashamed of who he is. It's really sad. Zane is laid back and carefree that I don't think he needs to deal with that. He deserves the best. I'm glad he isn't letting Riley stop him from enjoying himself. If he wants to be on the team, Riley should respect that.

In the beginning, Riley and Drew seemed like they were off to a good start, but that quickly changed. I'm glad Riley has some competition. That's what sports are for! Eavesdropping is never good, and Drew shouldn't use blackmail to get what he wants. But we need a new villain! I can't wait to see how this game of cat and mouse unfolds. Owen seems okay so far, but he had no right to call Drew a cocky little bastard.

I'm so glad Alli tried out for Power Squad! I always thought she'd be a perfect fit for cheerleading. I was hoping Anya would encourage her to do so and instead we get a Alli/Chantay rivalry of sorts. I'm glad Clare could support her and urge her to express herself in another way.

KC joining the football team is interesting. He's still annoying with Jenna, but hopefully that will soon change. Seeing him at home was nice, but the social worker shouldn't have credited Jenna with KC's improvements. His phone is already ringing off the hook. Now Jenna knows how it feels when other girls want your man.
vivalalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janah (View Post)
Didn't Sav play football??
He did, but I don't think it's too unusual for people to stop playing a sport their last year in high school, especially if they're not among the best players on the team. My brother and his best friend did that, and I knew a few others who did that as well when I was in high school.

I'm in agreement with those thinking that Zane was pushing Riley a little too much on the public relationship thing. I do think Riley has come a long way since we first met him (Nicole did a good job of explaining how) and given that he's an 18-year-old kid and not a middle age man in a sham of a marriage, I think Riley can be given time to come out when and how he wants to. Realistically, that might not be until years down the road. Because this is a TV show, it will almost certainly be at some point later this season.

Of all the power squad captains we've seen on this show, I might Chantay the best in that role. I like that the show gave us that scene where she's helping out Alli with the routines. That was a nice way to throw people off into the idea that Alli might actually make the squad. As for Alli, she really is in need of a reality check, but I do think at the end in that last scene with Clare, that the writers did a good job of showing where she was coming from. That line about still being in 10th grade and still not knowing where she'll sit at lunch is particularly telling.

BTW, Anya's absence in this episode was puzzling. They could have easily worked her into the Riley plot and it would have made a lot of sense for Alli to use her (rather than Jenna, to the extent that she used her) as her in to being able to try out for the power squad.

The Jenna/KC stuff? I do find her insecurity to be interesting, and I agree with Nicole. I'm looking forward to where that might head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidocat (View Post)
Oh and since I'm spoiled by some episode synopses, I have to say I'm pleased with how the show seems to be leaving some clues around that hint at what struggles a character might be going through later on.
Agree with this. They've done a good job so far this season of planting some seeds that pay off down the road.

Oh and major plus points for the retro cheerleading uniform and the Darcy mention.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:15 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalalove (View Post)
In the beginning, Riley and Drew seemed like they were off to a good start, but that quickly changed. I'm glad Riley has some competition. That's what sports are for! Eavesdropping is never good, and Drew shouldn't use blackmail to get what he wants. But we need a new villain! I can't wait to see how this game of cat and mouse unfolds. Owen seems okay so far, but he had no right to call Drew a cocky little bastard.
i totally agree with you! i'm so excited to see where it goes. Maybe Riley will finally have a complete coming out at some point because of this because he really has to stop being so embarrassed. not cool.

As for KC and Jenna, she's going to have to start working to keep KC now that he's got all this attention!

It's cool that there are all these different conflicts going on at the same time. It's going to make for a really dramatic season (not that we dont know what that is like!) oh and before i forget, ology has a good recap of the episodes and this week theres a poll up so take it and show your support! www.ology.com
adamdorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Addicted Fan

I really enjoyed Alli in this episode (part 1)... I was beginning to forget how much I liked her but this episode reminded me.

KC and Jenna together are so, so wrong. I was never invested in either of them individually or KC/Clare but I just can't deal with these two as a couple. There's no chemistry at all. And I wish Jenna, Clare, and Alli could all be friends again.

Now for the main plot, wow. First, the part with the extra (Owen?) in the gym mocking Zane and talking with a lisp really got me. It was a really powerful and realistic scene that made me so angry because that kind of thing happens all the time, and yet I loved how Zane handled himself. It was perfect. I love his attitude and how he really couldn't care less what people think of him.

That said, I hate how Zane seemingly wants to push Riley out of the closet. If he's not ready, he's not ready. The scene with Drew listening in on his conversation with Zane absolutely broke my heart. I feel so much for both of them and I understand both of their perspectives. But I do agree with what others are saying here, that Zane needs to give Riley a break. Riley has said time and time again that he doesn't want to come out in high school and seeing how hostile the football team is, it makes perfect sense. He shouldn't have to. I just hope that he and Zane can reach some kind of understanding.

I really hate Drew in all of this. I guess it's good to have someone new to hate but the fact that he looks like one of the guys from Twilight is making me rage even more. Just his face makes me angry. I hope Riley puts him in his place in part two!
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Master Fan

Drew is actually making me become interested in the football team. I never really thought any of the drama was exciting until now. Bardell, we haven't heard from you in years! That was random.

The prank was really mean and uncalled for. Maybe if Riley had taken a different approach to the situation he wouldn't be in the position he's in now. Riley's being ashamed of his sexuality has gotten old. I think he should come out by the end of the season. At first I wondered why Drew was keeping quiet about it, but then I remembered that he's only looking out for himself. He's a smart guy. His mom is also very wicked. I hope to see more of her. Drew is definitely her pride and joy.

I don't know if Drew is exactly pleased with how he got the position, especially since Riley broke the deal. I think he looked guilty after Riley confessed. He knows what he wants and will stop at nothing until he gets it. I can't wait to see him with Alli.

The conversation between Riley and Coach Armstrong was sweet, but I think he was showing just a tad bit of favoritism towards him. Senior superiors always suck.

I wish Zane was a main character. He's so cool.

Alli's dance club storyline didn't go as I was expecting it to, but I really liked Bianca. She has such a fierce attitude and she won't take things lying down. It's wasn't exactly fair that she tried to take over Alli's club, but Alli started the club for all the wrong reasons. I think she takes pride in her hobbies and aspirations which is why she was so adamant about not dancing at the football game. She wants to be taken seriously. I felt bad for Alli, but Bianca was right. The dancing scene was cute. At least she has the guts to go up there and look silly since she pressed Sav to give her the time.

I actually liked the KC/Jenna bit this episode. They never really delved into the world of jealous girlfriends checking texts. She looked really stupid when she immediately called the number and it was his mother though. I'm glad KC was able to stand up to her. She had no right to practically steal his cell phone like that. It's great that she wants to talk, but why didn't KC ever talk to Clare about any of that stuff? I hope he realizes the responsibilities he has being on the football team and takes a break from dating for a while.
vivalalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

1006: This episode was intense! I was wondering if Riley would come out and kept rooting him on. There was so much emotion in his eyes at times, from sadness to the longing he has to be the captain/QB of the football team. The conversation between him and Armstrong was touching, but also heartbreaking because Riley can't tell about Drew's blackmail. I'm really relieved that Riley didn't come out to the team. I don't think it would be an empowering experience for him at all if it happened that way. It has to be the moment that he feels is right. Aside from that, I also was worried that moment of coming out would end in a really cheesy way with the team embracing their captain. Riley still keeping his sexuality a secret feels more real.

The whole dance squad subplot was...I don't know what it was. I think it wouldn't have made me feel that strange second hand embarrassment/amusement that Degrassi sometimes gives me if they didn't introduce Bianca dancing into the squad club meeting. I liked hearing Bianca remind Alli what the club was really about; Alli's desire to be popular and all her melodrama was starting to wear on me a little. But it was good to see Alli admit she hasn't been a good friend to Clare lately. Loved Clare, Wesley, and Dave's reactions to Alli as the entire dance squad at the game. "When should we rescue her?" "I think we are beyond that point."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellifluouscloud (View Post)
I really hate Drew in all of this. I guess it's good to have someone new to hate but the fact that he looks like one of the guys from Twilight is making me rage even more. Just his face makes me angry. I hope Riley puts him in his place in part two!
You aren't alone in your hate! I don't think I've ever felt this much rage for a character on Degrassi in awhile. I enjoyed the prank played on him very very much! It was strangely amusing how Mr. Armstrong didn't seem very concerned about the hazing, including during the discovery of Drew plastic wrapped to the flagpole. Thanks for bringing Twilight in this and making me rage even more. I need to take a walk.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidocat (View Post)
The whole dance squad subplot was...I don't know what it was.
No, that's exactly what it was. Although, the dancing sequence at the game was very cute (I absolutely adored Clare in that)... but the rest of it? What was that? And Degrassi couldn't get the rights to actual hip-hop music or what... so weird! Alli was starting to make me a little crazy again. Her little speech about popularity right before Bianca and all the other girls stormed out made me cringe. It was just... Alli, girl, no. But I love Bianca already!

I had to laugh at Drew a little because of his mom interfering with everything. Really?! You'd think he'd be so embarrassed by her he'd just tell her to get lost and forget everything! The other guys aren't going to rag on him for that? Really?

I'm very interesting in the KC plot with his mother. And I loved Marisol! I know she had, like, 3 lines but she provided comic relief. Make this girl a main character! And I'm happy to see Riley and Zane back on semi-good terms again. PLEASE, Zane, don't push him out of the closet before he's ready.

Can we also talk about how Degrassi finally broke the space-time continuum?
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:38 AM
Part-Time Fan

Okay here's my input about tonights show.

A.) Drew, I HATE him.Like its not even i dislike him with a passion hate. Its I want him off the show! I dont like him or his mother. They are like. They are willing to do anything to make sure he plays. I cant believe he was willing to do blackmail on Riley so he can be QB1. ughh! I havent liked him from the start. I dont care how good looking he is, he's stupid little jerk! But as i read over everyones statements i must agree with vivalalove because i never thought of how much drama will be on the football team with him now. I mean riley gave up his spot cause of that jerk!

B.) I was like so rooting, like yelling at my tv cause I thought Riley was finally coming out to his team mates. I was all stoked for that. Him and zane are cute and i wish zane would stop pushing Riley to come out. But at least now, Riley is slowly, very slowly, starting to tell some people he is gay. (oh yeah btw, zane is ADORABLE! I wish he was staright...)

C.) Alli...wth? Highschool isnt all about popularity. Like serious. Thats all she cares about. Im kinda glad she lost her "gorup" with what she was saying. Clubs are meant for meeting people and having fun. That club, they were just having fun dancing. She made me kinda upset in this one tonight cause she was only thinking of herself and no one else at all.

D.)Jenna. I never have liked her and I never will. But i do feel good that she feels bad about going through KC's stuff. Thats what she gets for being insecure and jealous of KC and the girls. GRR!

and finally..i hope

E.) KC. Idk really what to say about his situation. I wonder if he is ever gonna see his mom this season. It be pretty cool to see who is mom is and find out what she has done and all of out. We can learn some more about him then what we already know. that would be pretty cool.
kellibelli11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread