Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

What unhappy ending have you been strangely satisfied with?

I also liked that Alex's mother chose her boyfriend over her at the end of Don't You Want Me. I feel cheated of a great story arc however. I wish that this had happened maybe during season 4 or 5 so we could see how it affected her. It is almost hard to comprehend the hurt and loss she would have felt. I don't know how I would react and you would think this would be a fat furry plot bunny for writers. She could have been on such a journey. It could have fit in well with Ellie looking for a new "roommate" in season 4 as well.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidocat (View Post)
What unhappy ending have you been strangely satisfied with?

I also liked that Alex's mother chose her boyfriend over her at the end of Don't You Want Me. I feel cheated of a great story arc however. I wish that this had happened maybe during season 4 or 5 so we could see how it affected her. It is almost hard to comprehend the hurt and loss she would have felt. I don't know how I would react and you would think this would be a fat furry plot bunny for writers. She could have been on such a journey. It could have fit in well with Ellie looking for a new "roommate" in season 4 as well.
Yeah! Alex is the only character who I've felt sad for, probably because there are "real life Alexes" that have even worse endings. I wish they'd focus more on her home life. That sounds like a really good idea for a plot, actually.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Loyal Fan

I would have loved to see that happen, too. I wonder if the writers would go down that path if Deanna decided to stay (Probably not, but still).

I was thinking about the Now or Never storyline of Bianca/Drew's gang drama recently, and I was wondering why I loved it at first but by the last week I rolled my eyes at it. Maybe because they didn't actually deal with the issue of gangs? At the start, I thought it was interesting how they were telling fans how gangs could come back and haunt people like Bianca, but by the end, it felt like an action movie starring Drew. Watch Drew defeat the evil gang members! Watch Drew protect Bianca!

It would have been great to see more from Bianca's storyline, not only for her development but to teach about gangs. Like maybe they could have had her explain to Drew or Imogen or a guidance counselor why she originally became involved with a gang?

Of course, this would have the risk of being too After School Special-y, but it could have been nice if it were executed properly.
Shiny Shinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Addicted Fan

I enjoyed the gang thing until Katie got involved. There were a lot of aspects I loved like how he was scared and how he resented Bianca for being in the situation. Then Katie came along and it went from gangs to a love story between Krew.
ihavealife2uknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

At the time I was engaged with the Drew vs. the gang storyline at the start. I agree with ihavealife2uknow about how his fear was frightening and for that reason I like that Katie introduced him to methods to deal with it, especially since I could tell that there were seeds being planted that this is a girl who has overcome similar issues in the past. It made me very curious for Katie. I can understand how you'd feel like it was some grand love story for Katie/Drew but I also agree with Shiny Shinx that the Drew/Bianca was over the top with Drew being a hero and defeating the "bad" guys. They focused too much on the fear and at a point it became comical. Sometimes less is more and this storyline is one that went way over the speed limit. Maybe they could have kept our interest more if they had introduced more elements, like Shiny Shinx suggested. I guess you can assume that Bianca is mixed up in it because she is poor and from a tough neighborhood. But I would have liked to see more development before hand because it just seems a bit convenient for her character.

I'm really just in here to drop this off since I got lost on YouTube for a bit:
Old 05-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Loyal Fan

Yeah, more development would have been great. Instead, we got Drew and Vince drinking tea together at the Dot.

I think I might have asked this before, but Has there been any time you thought the show taught the wrong lesson completely?

I could probably think of a lot of examples, but the most prominent one is Touch of Grey (I was inspired by the latest posts in that thread). They seemed to try to rectify that with Jake, though. That seemed to be strange, too, because the show didn't seem that anti-drug with Spinner in Pass the Dutchie, and Alex and Paige in Death of a Disco Dancer.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:46 PM
Extreme Fan

I think they were off with Sean and any type of PTSD from the Rick shooting. I mean, if Daniel Clark wanted to leave Degrassi, they couldn't do much besides make him go back "home" to show that Sean feels vulnerable at that point, but when he returned in season 6, he was weirdly okay about the whole thing. He was more angry with Jay about hooking up with Emma instead of causing the whole thing. He wanted to go to the army, where he'd likely reenact the day where he killed Rick. They seemed to improve that with Drew, though.

I also think with the Anya and Holly J friendship, they shouldn't have make Anya be friends with Holly J again. While Holly J still improved how she treated Anya, she still needed to work on not being condescending to her, like for the Dr.Chris thing, or the Owen issue. Holly J also had no problem manipulating Anya for her own use, like during the election.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:13 AM
Addicted Fan

Has there been any time you thought the show taught the wrong lesson completely?

I thought Mia's mom completely relieving Mia of raising Isabella to enjoy her senior year was a bit off. It seems like every pregnancy somehow they make it so the mother doesn't have to raise her child after all. Mia should have had to deal with both working and taking care of Isabella.

Last edited by ihavealife2uknow; 05-20-2013 at 03:59 AM
ihavealife2uknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavealife2uknow (View Post)
Has there been any time you thought the show taught the wrong lesson completely?

I thought Mia's mom completely relieving Mia of raising Isabella to enjoy her senior year was a bit off. It seems like every pregnancy somehow they make it so the mother doesn't have to raise her child after all. Mia should have had to deal with both working and taking care of Isabella.
This was really ridiculous, too. Mia almost lost custody over Isabella in Sweet Child O' Mine or something and then her mother decides to take care of Isabella for her? I feel like in real life her mom would take care of Isabella less to teach responsibility.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:49 PM
Extreme Fan

I feel like Mia's mom would take Isabella's welfare and safety more importantly than Mia learning a lesson, because there was always a chance that Mia never would grow up and something worse would happen to Izzy. But I agree that the show tries to make teen parents avoid raising their kids as much as possible.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

So we are looking at a redo of a boyfriend abusing his girlfriend this season with Alli. How's everyone feel about that? Does it bring up memories of the Terri/Rick and Fiona/Bobby storylines? Do you still like those? Would you have done anything different? Or what do you hope this storyline will do different?

With the discussion of old school Degrassi I got to thinking about Dwayne's HIV storyline. That's one that we need done again. I remember when I first saw Bad Blood I was disappointed that we didn't know more about the girlfriend or their history as a couple despite that I do appreciate the jokes that were made about how she didn't exist and he was caring around this dark secret. If they addressed this issue again I'd like to see the character contract it from a main character we all know and care about. And I'd like to see an in depth look at how their lives change/treat themselves for the long term. (And I basically forgot about Griffin and Paige's HIV scare.)

And we'll need some classic in classroom discussion Degrassi style.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:14 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavealife2uknow (View Post)

You should come out to your parents and get kicked out of your house just to please your selfish, whiny ass of a boyfriend.

That and if you're gay it's not okay to defend your boyfriend and you should put up with people calling you fags even if the person deserves to an ass-whooping, but if you're straight it's okay to beat people because straight people are better than gay people.

"YES OF COURSE I IRON MY UNDERWEAR. I AM NOT A HEATHEN EMMETT."

Last edited by Squall_L.; 09-28-2013 at 09:16 AM
Squall_L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:42 PM
Extreme Fan

There have been some recent comments with Alli's recent storyline that the writers "showcases the trauma but not the healing", with no trigger warning or phone number before her traumatic scenes. Some people also feel that they won't properly help show Alli recover. Some people say this also happened with Darcy, which I fully agree with, as they just showed her suicidal moments, but swept all her growth and healing under the rug at the Camp thing. What do you think?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Loyal Fan

So far, this abuse storyline is done better than Rick/Terri and Fiona/Bobby. Mainly because it answers the question that many outsiders ask: "Why in the word would you stay with him?" Rick was obviously unhinged, Bobby was smarmy so they were less sympathetic. But with Leo, for most of the time in Paris, he was charming and nice and loving. It makes a sad sort of sense, no one is a raging monster all the time.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:12 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

As I was reading reports of a few dozen fans being rushed to the hospital during an Avicii concert, I can't help but think that it might be time for another MDMA/ecstasy story line. I know they sorta did one a couple years ago with Eli, but in the end I'm not sure that was all that serious. You'd like to see them do something perhaps on the level of what we saw with Anya and Fiona in recent years.

Any thoughts on which character would be good for a story line like this?

Credit to the one and only Alexa for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top