Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Addicted Fan

All of those have happened already! Except a character dropping out due to being pregnant.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Lately I was just thinking about the most "controversial" issues or episodes. Mainly what The-N/TeenNick has considered them to be. We all know they didn't air Accidents Will Happen till later but does anyone else remember some of their notorious edits or what episodes they didn't like to air?

I think Jagged Little Pill was considered pretty controversial. I started watching DTNG back in early season 2 during the (glorious) days when The-N basically only aired Degrassi...but I still didn't get to see JLP until a marathon that aired before season 3. I think The-N might have tacked on an extra scene at the end of the episode so Ashley's actions had more consequences.

When Doves Cry was also an episode I don't think they liked to air that often. It was also chopped up edit wise. The scene with Albert beating Craig in the darkroom was trimmed. I had to go online and find a FRENCH version so it was later until I found out what was actually being said. And who can forget how they removed several frames of Craig standing in the front of the train so it was just Craig and Sean talking then it cut to this skateboard landing by the tracks.

Thank God they aren't (as?) edit happy anymore.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I remember they edited out Mia's kiss with the other female model during the orgy scene. They may have edited out some stuff since then, but that's the last one I remember.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Passionate Fan

I mentioned this back in the Bianca thread a while ago, but I'd like to see a lesbian on the show -- and I mean, a character who is a lesbian from the start, is comfortable with her sexuality and what not, and so forth -- but then has to face all the issues that come with that. Like maybe her girlfriend is still in the closet? Or in denial? (Kind of like Zane and Riley's relationship, but done differently...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shance (View Post)
-Suicide of a character who is well-known and liked.
I'd like to see something like this too. There hasn't been a successful -- God, I feel horrible saying that -- suicide since Claude in DH. There have been suicide attempts, but either the character didn't go through with it or they were found/stopped in time. So I would like to see a suicide storyline done -- it doesn't even have to be a main character, just a reoccuring one that we know. Then, of course, the reactions...

Quote:
-An ongoing real-life relationship with an abusive girl (since Connor's was mostly online and brief in real-life, it doesn't count).
I would like to see this too. Every abusive relationship on the show so far has had the male being abuser, but it is possible for the female in the relationship to be abusive as well. It would be interesting to see how this would be handled.

Quote:
-Male rape, by either a female or another male.
This too, and for the same reasons listed above.

Quote:
-A gay or lesbian teacher.
I don't think this has been done... though they did bring Marco back as a student-teacher in season 9.

Quote:
-Schizophrenia.
I was hoping Eli would turn out to be this, but... that never happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryst (View Post)
ETA - Not sure why this just popped into my head, and I'm not sure how realistic it is but... I was thinking that maybe there could be a plot where one of the kids gets really into religion. Joins a cult or something, I guess. Nothing positive. I know Boy Meets World did something similar, lol.
I remember that episode... god, that cult leader was such a creeper...

Last edited by Lady Azura; 12-18-2010 at 06:01 PM
Lady Azura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Back from the dead thread! For awhile now I’ve been brainstorming various issues Degrassi has attempted to address. Let’s start out with the broad umbrella idea of straight up academics. In other words, what character or storyline has best represented what the high school experience is? To open up the discussion, here's a few questions I have:

- What storylines could you see taking place in your own high school? What ones felt the most realistic to you? What about the most unrealistic?

- High school is full of cliques. What group of friends reminded you of people you would see in your hallways? This can also leave a person feeling quite isolated; was there a moment that captured how you felt on the fringe and lonely?

- What character, storyline, or moment in the series reminded you of your high school experience when you were the most happy? Most unhappy?

We’re going to go more in depth into topics like sexuality, gender roles, mental illness, bullying, family/sibling issues, friendship, etc later. This is just something to get the ball rolling.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Extreme Fan

- What storylines could you see taking place in your own high school? What ones felt the most realistic to you? What about the most unrealistic?
The one where Jenna wanted KC to ask Clare to cheat on the test felt pretty realistic to me. A classmate who I haven't talked to in a while suddenly wants to be my new best friend because they didn't finish their worksheet or there's a test coming up. Then if I say no, they'll disappear again. But if I do give them answers, they'll be like 'OMG Thank you!! <333' and it feels forced.
The Ashley storyline in S2 felt realistic to me, as well as the Alli cyberbullying plot, but I already talked about that in another thread, so yeah.
I can't see most of the stories happening in my high school. Maybe Alli, for the Johnny relationship. I could think of several freshman and junior/senior relationships, and most of them ended up poorly. I don't think it had to do with age differences, though.
A lot of them are unrealistic but it would be pointless for me to basically recap the entire series. But I guess the entire concept of the Lakehurst merger. Wouldn't they try to send the kids to several schools instead of just one? Why are they still at Degrassi?
- High school is full of cliques. What group of friends reminded you of people you would see in your hallways? This can also leave a person feeling quite isolated; was there a moment that captured how you felt on the fringe and lonely?
I'd see people like Johnny and the Lakehurst bullies as well as people like Amy near our school's 'ravine'. Actually, it's just some trees and benches a few feet away from the parking lot, but most of the smokers go over there. I don't think we have any Candy Bandits, though.
The Emma/Toby/Manny/JT group reminds me of how people are close in grade 7 because of their homerooms and no other connections. The Holly J/Chantay/Anya/whoever else is in that group reminds me of those girls who take themselves so seriously by coming to school overdressed in identical dresses and do everything together. They really nailed it with the clothes. Now that I think about it, Degrassi needs band geeks. A lot of them. Because not every instrument is a guitar. Degrassi hasn't really covered loneliness before, but like I said, Ashley at Karma Chameleon was like right out of my life. I think they should have a new kid who can't make friends because they're quiet and not outgoing. That would've been nice with Adam, and it would make the Misfits seem more genuine.
- What character, storyline, or moment in the series reminded you of your high school experience when you were the most happy? Most unhappy?
Emma in Mercy Street and Alli in Heat of the Moment remind me of when I was a bit of a cyberbully to a bad friend. I called her off for everything she did that year and then people started defending me when she was cursing me off. Then she didn't come to school the next day and I got to sit with the cool kids at lunch. :] Okay, so that was 8th grade, but still.
Degrassi has never reminded me of being unhappy, because they never have done any stress problems. If you're smart, you could automatically handle the work, and if you're stressed, it's obviously because you're too stupid for the class, according to Degrassi. Like when Paige broke down at Banting, I feel like the show made her be the wrong one. They've never done anything about someone who takes too much AP/IB classes and is just digging themselves deeper for work, or long term cheating and plagiarism. I think if they did something like what Paige went through at Banting with a high schooler, it would be a good episode or two.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:29 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Azura (View Post)
I would like to see this too. Every abusive relationship on the show so far has had the male being abuser, but it is possible for the female in the relationship to be abusive as well. It would be interesting to see how this would be handled.
Will this happen with Kenna this season? Probably not because I can't see Degrassi going there. But I think if they actually committed to this storyline it would make an impact on boys who are abused and don't report because of the stigmas associated with being the victim.

What storylines could you see taking place in your own high school? What ones felt the most realistic to you? What about the most unrealistic?
I thought Kenna getting back together was unrealistic. I know plenty of teen parents and only one dad who stepped up to the plate and even he didn't get back together with the baby mama. So far with pregnancy storylines: Jiberty, Mia, even Cranny the dad always comes back in the picture and steps up to care for his kid. But in reality this doesn't happen that often.

High school is full of cliques. What group of friends reminded you of people you would see in your hallways? This can also leave a person feeling quite isolated; was there a moment that captured how you felt on the fringe and lonely?
I had an unusual high school experience because I kept moving, but this also means I've been to a bunch of different schools and honestly I've met a lot of people who are similar to Degrassi characters. I think there's a lot of girls like Anya who are pretty cheerful and well liked despite making mistakes and being a little dorky. Even when she was HJ's shadow it reminded me of real high school girls. The popular girls an school always seem to have a rank like so-and-so and her friend so-and-so are queen bees and they have friends who are popular too but also do everything their queens tell them too. It reminds me a lot of Paige/Hazel and Manny in Wannbe. I know a lot of girls who think nothing of treating their "friends" like they're a lower class or something.

I've met plenty of girls who are like Jenna too. Those girls who think that their boyfriends are far more important than their friends. Some of them seem like they would do anything for the guy they're with (or want to be with) including throwing friends under the bus. I was actually friends with a girl like this for awhile. To her other girls were just bugs to step on in the way of her snagging her latest boy toy.

Honestly as far as cliques none of them reminded me of my friends until season 10. When I finally settled in to my last high school for senior year I had some really close friends who actually understood me. I was working pretty hard on my art portfolio so I befriended the other kooky alternative kids. It was the first time in a long time I met people who actually liked the music I listened to and everything. I was basically a misfit. I liked that in season 10 Degrassi showed (with Eli, Adam, and Clare) that sometimes even if you are on the fringe of the social scene and hang out with the so called "losers" that you can actually find people you really connect with.

What character, storyline, or moment in the series reminded you of your high school experience when you were the most happy? Most unhappy?
As far as happy like I said above the Misfits really captured what senior year was to me.

As for unhappy, I really connected with Bianca when she started dating Drew and KC, Jenna, etc. were giving them crap because of her repuation. At one of the schools I attended I was considered a hot piece of gossip. People made a lot of assumptions about me and spread rumors until I got a reputation that was rather unfair. I was judged just because I couldn't live up to everyone's white bread standards. It's hard coming from a rough family/part of town. Even if people have never even talked to you they still think they have the right to judge you. So for me Bianca represents a big part of what my life was like in high school.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Passionate Fan

I've seen something kind of like Ashley's E episode happen at my school (substitute alcohol).
Also, Sav/Anya/Farrah where one girl feels insecure so she sleeps with her boyfriend to 'keep' him (add in a fight that ends up on facebook ) .

WESLEY, DAVE, CONNOR. Honestly, they are clones of some of my classmates
I've also experienced friendship like Liberty/Manny/Emma where one girl is semi popular (Emma) and the other one is kind of nerdy (Liberty) and they don't get along but they both have the same friend (Manny/me).

umm.... none.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Realistic: The thing I like the most about Degrassi is that each character is an individual and has an individual reaction to things that happen to them, even if the series is revisiting an issue. So there’s something, like rape, that can happen to anyone and everyone is going to deal differently. Fans interpret and relate to characters differently. I think that the issues are handle the most realistically when Degrassi doesn’t go way over the speed limit and tries to be overdramatic. The show can be campy and unintentionally hilarious and I love that about it but it’s also got to know when to reel itself in and have some honest moments that you could imagine happening in your own life.

Unrealistic: Remember that one time when Kevin Smith decided to film a movie at Degrassi and hire a bunch of teenagers? And then he invited them all to a movie premiere? And soon they are running around Hollywood trying to be celebrities?

Sometimes I wish that Degrassi would expand on their cliques, it kind of feels like things are divided into two. But thinking back on high school…maybe it was this way. There’s the popular kids who play sports and there’s the “losers.” That’s just a general view though because there’s a lot of divides and the groups do interact to various degrees. I think the season 3-4 cast demonstrated this pretty well. I think the Paige, Marco, Ellie, Spinner, Craig, Ashley, Jimmy group reminds me most of what you’d see (if you knew the inner workings of the clique). They all interact at certain points, maybe eating lunch together or meeting up at parties, but they aren’t always seen together. They have their best friends in the group or they branch out and have other friends too.

Like others have said, Ashley’s falling out from her friends in season 2 felt the most realistic. Everything about her story reminds me of something you’d see or be in high school. It feels unique since I don’t think the show will ever be able to capture what worked so well but it’s so familiar to those of us girls who likely went through some kind of similar experience in middle school or high school.

Most happy (although complex) – The first thing that comes to my mind is the episode “Why Can’t This Be Love?” This is the one episode that just screams prom to me. I love the montage to that one song “Raise a Little Hell” and as embaressing as it might be, it makes me want to dance, party, and raise a little hell. There’s a few rare moments that TV can capture that just remind me of real life while still obviously being entertainment and this one of them. Anyway, I loved prom. I wouldn’t be the type of person to be into it but I’m also the type who doesn’t care so I’m out there every song dancing. My junior year prom date was the perfect fit. My senior year date was a dud so I just danced with everyone else’s boyfriends and girlfriends while he pined away for another best friend in our clique…that I also had feelings for. So like that episode, love issues were complex and everyone wants somebody. Oh prom. Oh teenage hormones. Like the characters in this episode, drama happened later in my group and tears were shed. But at the same time I had some amazing times with those people and I remember that most of all.

Most unhappy – Thinking strictly of things related to a high school atmosphere…probably moments where a character is overwhelmed with situations outside that it takes it’s toll and it becomes obvious that things are coming apart at the seams. Ellie’s self injury comes to mind; especially that whole Melissa McClelland “I don’t Want To Be Me” music montage where she’s not focusing on her school work/internship, doesn’t want to deal with her home situation with her alcoholic mother, and instead is preoccupied with cutting.

Another music montage I thought that captured the internal conflict characters were experiencing well was the one in Purple Pills (“Carjack My Heart”). Fiona’s intoxicated and foggy during her exam, Adam is outside the school preparing for a fight that he thinks will prove he’s one of the guys, and Riley is on the computer reading about the struggles gay athletes face.

Darcy post-rape and how she sought out Mr. Simpson brought up some things from my past that I’d rather forget, although it was an entirely different situation. Is it time to share the graphic I made years ago for Degrassecrets but never shared it?

Old 07-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Addicted Fan

That's a really beautiful secret Nicole..... thanks for sharing.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:55 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

After seeing Mama and Papa Bhandari return this week I was reminded of this thread and another issue I wanted to discuss. Families. While the focus of Degrassi has always been on student relationships, we are occasionally introduced to their home life.

- What are your favorite families and why?

- What about siblings? Who are your faves? Who do you feel is the most realistic? It looks like we’ve also got a pair of sisters about to be introduced - are you excited?

- What families remind you most of your own and why?

- Which characters (from any moment during the series) deserved to have their home life explored more? What would be your ideal storyline/situation for this character?

Just a few questions off the top of my head to get things going. Feel free to talk anything that has to do with the families we've seen on the show.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:51 AM
New Fan

What are your favorite families and why?
I pretty much like all of them.

- What about siblings? Who are your faves? Who do you feel is the most realistic? It looks like we’ve also got a pair of sisters about to be introduced - are you excited?
I like the Sav\Ali dynamic. I like Darcy's and Clare's to but then Darcy left.

None of them really.

- Which characters (from any moment during the series) deserved to have their home life explored more? What would be your ideal storyline/situation for this character?
I want to see imogen's homelife.Along with Bianca's,Owen's,and maybe Katie's.
catbat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Passionate Fan

My favourite siblings were Craig and Angie even though they didn't do much

Alli and Sav's family reminds me of mine the most because they're immigrants and very strict when it comes to school. When Alli said she got an 89 on her English paper and he asked about a 90, that was probably the closest Degrassi had ever come to my life. Oh goodness, that line was my family. Drew and Adam's mom reminds me of my own personality wise.

Have Spinner's parents ever shown up? I think we should see Bianca's homelife.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:59 PM
Loyal Fan

I like the Bhandaris because they're willing to be more lenient with their kids. I also like how the parents are humanized (Like how Mrs. Bhandari likes to watch NCIS, and the dad likes to play cards). The writers don't give us details like that about the other families unless it's necessary.

I don't know why, but I don't like most of the sibling relationships. Maybe because they only have scenes together when it's relative to the plot? I'm excited for the new pair of siblings, but I don't think they're going to be in lots of scenes together.

Maybe the Bhandaris. Mostly because of the great expectations for grades, though.

I'd say Hazel. Maybe one of her parents could have been a smoker, and she tried to get them to quit smoking, but they don't. And apparently she was supposed to have a plot that involved parents never being there for her? I forgot where I read that, though.

I'd like there to be twins (Not like the Coynes, though), that have to deal with problems like teachers who always think they're cheating in classes together, people who treat them differently (In a negative way) just because they're twins. I'm a twin in real life and most days at school people usually interrupt my conversations with my brother just to go like "Hey, you two are twins. Did you know that?" or ask other pointless questions. Or they could have twins who people constantly try to split up because people want them to be outgoing. Okay, so this came out of nowhere.

Last edited by Shiny Shinx; 08-20-2011 at 09:19 AM
Shiny Shinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:53 PM
Master Fan

I really love the Bhandaris! They just all seem to really love each other. And the love feels real. I also think that Sav/Alli might be one of the only sibling dynamics that was really used in storylines. I think that's great.

I also love KC/Lisa. They do the best they can and I'm always going to be rooting for them!

And I'm kinda loving this whole Helen/Glen/Jake/Clare thing. I hope Helen and Glen marry and Cake end up being step-siblings. That's a storyline they haven't done yet but it's not that uncommon to hear of.

Yeah it's probably Sav/Alli for the win. I think they're my overall favorites. I'll forever be disappointed we didn't see much Darcy/Clare but I hope the Matlin sisters make up for it. I already love Katie so that's half the battle.

Well, the KC/Lisa plot hit pretty close to home last season but KC was able to connect with his mother again and that didn't happen with my father and me. For that reason I have a lot of respect for Lisa. It takes a lot to be as strong as she is. But that's also why I understood why KC didn't want to live with her as well. There was a lot of debate after those episodes aired and I think maybe I took some if it personally because I didn't want to reconnect with my father. There were a few moments between Clare and Helen that reminded me of of my mom and I. My mom hasn't been treated well for most of her life and in the end it was really just the two of us so seeing some of the kind of pain Helen was struggling with reminded me of why I admire my own mother so much. I think it's pretty common for mothers and daughter to become closer when the father isn't in the picture. That's how it was for me and I see the same happening for the Edwards girls. I that's also why I've really been rooting for them as a mother/daughter duo.

Bianca for sure. I think she's the character who would benefit the most from having a family-esque plot or at least scenes at home. We don't know much about her and it's easy to make assumptions but getting to know her family would probably explain her attitude towards certain things. I feel like I might say Imogen but I'm betting we get some of her homelife this season. I would also really liked to see Jake's side of the Edwards-Martin's relationship because so far we've only seen it from Clare's POV and I feel like he's having a different reaction to the whole situation.
Reply   Post New Thread