Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Degrassi Takes Manhattan (aka Degrassi: The Heat is On) Discussion- 7/16 (MuchMusic) & 7/19 (TeenNick)

The shadows are on the darker side
Behind those doors, it's a wilder ride
You can make a break, you can win or lose
That's a chance you take, when the heat's on you
When the heat is on

Quote:
Friday July 16th 9:00 PM ET (MuchMusic) & Monday July 19th 9:00 PM ET (TeenNick)

Best friends Jane and Holly J head to New York City, with big hopes and even bigger dreams. Jane’s dream to front a hot indie band collides with a love she never saw coming. Meanwhile, Holly J’s determined to make her mark as a TVM intern in Times Square, and settle into her role as Park Avenue Princess with New Yorker boyfriend Declan at her side. Back in Toronto, Spinner’s summer is hotter than he ever anticipated and with friends Jay, Manny and Emma in town – there’s never a dull moment. When Spinner’s hopes for the future turn to dust – he needs to learn how to rebuild and move on. (CTV Media)

Thanks to the Aces

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I'll be waiting for it to air on TeenNick on Monday. What's everyone else doing?
Old 07-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Loyal Fan

Watching on TheClick right now XD I'm such a cheat.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I can't believe TeenNick did that. Haven't they figured out that people will get at the episodes even if they aren't listed on the main page? I'm waiting until next week to watch everything on my TV screen on TeenNick. I don't really like watching shows on my computer, especially on The-Click since their flash player is so buggy.

But everyone else enjoy!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Master Fan

So the whole TeenNick thing was a mistake then?? I only heard about it on twitter. i thought maybe they did it on purpose.

Anyway don't read this if you don't want to be spoiled ****************

I didn't like it. Mainly because I hated the ending.

The beginning was okay - nothing special but still better than DGH. But by the end I was thinking how crazy it was that incest was actually the best part about this movie

I can't believe that Emma and Spinner seriously got married. WTFFFFF x 1 million. Did I miss something here? I don't get why they are suddenly in love. It just seemed like they were together because it was easier, but they actually stayed married? What?????? After 10 years they have just decided that they are in love? Ugh it just ruins their characters completely. As I was walking home afterwards I couldn't stop thinking about the fact that Emma Nelson and Spinner Mason are now married. it's just so strange that I find it very hard to take it seriously. I was not expecting that at all. But that's how their characters ended?? It just leaves a bad feeling for me.

On the plus side, Holly J. totally rocked it and Declan was adorable.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Obsessed Fan

I laughed at this movie a lot. It was just as bad as DGH, but in my opinion more entertaining. I love Spinner and Manny, throughout the series those are the two I have consistently liked the most (with the exception of a season or two ).

"If I thought Emma was a stone cold heart breaker like Jane I would stop you from doing this." AHHHH that is the most WTF sentence in the entire movie. Emma is a psycho. She got way too possessive and jealous way to fast. And she is prone to cheating whenever someone better she likes comes along. I have grown very annoyed with her after watching the recent marathon. Degrassi sucks at building up romance.

Other than that annoyance the movie was very cute.

Please, remember me,
happily
Yellow n Blue402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Loyal Fan

I got the feeling that they wanted to give Emma some sort of happy ending, as she was the kick-off for the entire series (being Spike's daughter) but they did it in the most ridiculous way possible. I mean, Spinner and Emma had very few interactions at all throughout the entire series (that's 9 years with I think about 1 interaction).

I get that we're supposed to suspend disbelief and assume that they were great friends off-screen, but it was a little far-fetched that he just breaks up with Jane, who he believed to be the love of his life, gets drunk, and marries Emma on a whim, and suddenly they're in love, and want to be together forever?

I mean, really, I think it would've made a lot more sense for them to say that they LIKE each other, get an annulment, and just date and see where it went.

That said, I'm really going to miss Spinner this upcoming season. I loved Spinner's shelf though, and being a huge Paige/Spinner fan, I thought it was nice that they included a picture of them.

I'm a big Holly J/ Declan fan so it was great, but I felt like Jane got the short end of the stick, because nothing really seemed to work out for her. I'll give you her relationship with Spinner, because let's be honest, cheating always comes out, and usually it ends badly, but then she gets this gig with the indie band, and a potential new guy in her life, and gets screwed over.

Oh, wow, sorry, I'm ranting. I really did love the movie, really. The Spin/Emma thing was the only thing that bothered me. :

It did make me a bit sad though. Spinner and Emma and Manny were the last original members of the cast left. (I know they didn't make frequent appearances for the last couple of seasons, but regardless, I grew up with the original cast. I watched weekly for seasons 1-7, so it's a little sad that, as much as I enjoy some of the new cast, we won't be seeing them anymore.)
Wish me luck with it, Mary.
God knows I wish the best for you."

Last edited by Let The Ball Drop; 07-16-2010 at 11:09 PM
Let The Ball Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Loved that Johnny was an honors grad, and actually felt that made some sense. Sad that we didn't see Bruce one last time, though.

That little obvious stand in for Toby was distracting. They should have just had Liberty say he was out of the country somewhere or something.

I liked that they didn't (in my mind) go too overboard with the whole evil intern boss and even much of Holly J/Fiona stuff could have been (and has been at times on the show) much more over the top than it was. Oh and perhaps it's because I know what's coming up, but I did feel bad for Fiona at the end of this.

Holly J taking bating practice. That was my favorite Holly J/Declan moment.

As for the whole Spin, Emma and Jane thing, I was kind of into the idea of Spin/Emma (and even the idea of two long time characters getting together at the end without much if any prior involvement) so they didn't have to do much selling with me. It did move way too fast, but in a way I found that a little charming this time even if it did produce some funny moments. I'm glad that the Jane cheating thing was not swept under the rug, and I'm also glad that there was a little bit of closure for the Jane/Spin relationship and I think they did a decent job of showing them at different spots in time. There were a couple of good Jay/Manny moments here, too, so that's a plus for me as well.

I loved Spin's little board of all the things that made him who he is today (although writers, it was Emma's 8th grade Science project, not 9th). I didn't get a chance to see it in detail though, with the version I watched. I'll probably have to wait for the DVD for that.

Overall, I enjoyed it and if this is this is the goodbye of those five characters (Jane, Jay, Manny, Spin and Emma) then I'm okay for the most part with the way they were sent off.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Loyal Fan

SPOILERS!!

Honestly I'm ok with ignoring most of the movie.

The Holly J/Declan/Fiona plot was REALLY good in my opinion. Holly J is still pretty kick-ass, and we got to know Fiona a LOT more. Plus Dec was adorable.

Emma/Spinner doesn't exist in my little world. They must have died in that explosion caused by the sandwich maker. And honestly I don't care about your singing career Jane.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Elite Fan

You know what? I'm not going to even be quiet anymore, because something tells me that if I was, this would eat away at me.

Spinner/Emma hooking up is unfortunately not surprising to me. I expected it. What I did not expect was to see some of my fanfic scenes regurgitated onto the screen. Before you say I'm overreacting, consider this. Holiday Road: it's the same event (barbeque), same location (Emma's backyard), same beginnings of the same UC (Spemma) and the same fallout (Emma yelling at someone in her basement). But the bike thing, right? Guess what Emma wants to do in a previous chapter? Have her old bike get fixed. All written by the Degrassi writer/producer, who would have received the Tobanny package I sent, which is directly tied to that fanfic.

Nevertheless, I didn't speak up about it, but I knew, I KNEW that if I watched this movie, some other familiar scene would pop up. Sure enough, there's Spemma playing Horse midway through. Obviously the dialogue's different but I'll call a spade a spade. That's way TOO MANY COINCIDENCES.

I want to know what the eff is going on. I'm a nice person and I'm seriously pissed. I write for my readers who are nice enough and patient enough to read it. I don't even ship Spemma. I wrote Spemma for three years because some readers were invested in it, and I'm invested in it as well or else I wouldn't be wondering what the eff is going on. Why would you ignore the heart of that package and put Spemma scenes I would most certainly recognize in public? I find that utterly shady. Just ignore the package if you weren't with it AND the fic that inspired it. I understand a show is a show and whatever is going to happen will happen. I'm a big girl, but I'm also a writer who's genuinely befuddled. There aren't many Spemma fics out there, maybe like three or four. So of course I'm going to pick something up when you just throw it on screen.

For the record, I never have them get married. I gave Eman a beach wedding, complete with a pep talk from Jay, but I sure as heck don't have Spemma getting married. I would NEVER have two eighteen/nineteen year olds live happily ever after after having a drunk wedding, with their parents' approval. Way too unrealistic. But I still want to know why those scenes I mentioned popped up.

I'm not trying to ruin anyone's enjoyment of whatever you liked, but understand, it's been three years of devotion to that fic. I'm really the only person who can speak up for myself so I'm choosing to.

Whoever might be reading it at Epitome, do me a favor and stop reading it. You've just left a real sour taste in my mouth, Degrassi. Really sour.

Sorry, guys. Continue your reviews.

icon
Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Extreme Fan

Okay, the movie. Better than DGH, probably should've been named "The Rest Of Our Lives," much like in DGH, the setting was secondary to the characters' drama.

Holly J./Fiona/Declan. They pretty much lampshaded the crap out of Fiona/Declan's IncestYay. Poor Fiona is entirely too co-dependent on Declan and I really didn't feel sorry for her in the end mainly due to the fact she was such a Jerkass to Holly J and intentionally sabotaging her relationship (something she has done to Declan a lot of times). I think s10 will probably see her branching out, she really needs to, she came off so insecure and bitchy/drama-queenish. Declan and Holly J were so cute, loved the skipping for strawberries.

Jane/Emma/Spinner. Poor, poor Jane. My heart broke for her in the end, but I guess Spinner/Jane would not have worked out anyway, she was clearly intending on doing things in her life and achieving goals whereas Spinner liked his life the way it was on Degrassi Street and at The Dot. The band subplot was kinda a waste, now that I think about it.

Spinner and Emma....Spinner and Emma...no sir, I don't like it. If they left it at the divorce and before the wedding, I would've been like "okay." But they didn't. I suppose since they can't get Daniel Clark back, this was their way of wrapping up all the grads...but...a Spinner/Emma marriage? Yes, I also don't like the idea of someone getting married/spending forever with someone at 19 (they didn't even do it on Instant Star!) but I guess it made good wrap-up. I wish it didn't end with a wedding, just Emma and Spinner taking things slow, but I digress.

Bring on the maybe/maybe not/definitely/purely coincidental plagiarized season 10!
Old 07-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Loyal Fan

I agree with everyone pretty much

The Fiona/Declane/Holly J stuff was great...the way they pulled the kiss thing off was way better than the hopes I had for it (won't lie...I was rather worried) The scene with Declane and Fiona at the end where they were both crying was amazing. They both did a great job in my opinion

I was also particularly fond of their mother this time around...she showed a lot more compation for Fiona at the end and that made me love her a little

I was so stoked for Spinner and Emma to get together...until I saw the movie....I won't even lie...WTF I mean you think they could have had some sort of incling that they would eventually have a thing but I never saw them as potential love interests until it was suggested in the trailers....I thought I would love it but it just happend WAY TO FAAAST!!! I mean I liked the basketball scene and the "lets rush Spinners apartment and take him hostage" scene was cute...but when they said I love you...I just didn't believe them.

Its not all bad I guess...now everyone who ever hung out within that whole smorgasbord of a click at Degrassi those 9 years have all nailed each other....mission accomplished degrassi writters...mission accomplished (pat yourselves on the back now)
Aubsbobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:10 AM
Master Fan

Yeah I just don't understand why Spinner and Emma are in love. I hate it SO much. It seems more of a coincidence then anything else. And that overshadowed the rest of the movie which was actually halfway decent for me,

Oh well at least season 10 will be good.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:53 AM
Dedicated Fan

I'm totally happy I wasn't the only one who fell for Spemma. The 'boner' mention was great on the writers' parts, seriously. I about died. Lmao. They are a weird-ass couple, but they have some nice chemistry.
Was anyone else scratching their head at what Jay said to Spinner? Like, dude, Jay, you haven't really known Emma (other than being blown by her, lol) - like Manny knows her, so...wut. Also, uh, why was Manny pissed at Jane? Manny gave that advice to Jane about cheating on Spinner, remember?..I love Manny, but damnit, she shouldn't have fought Jane.
- They totally mentioned Drake in the beginning of the movie, haha.
- I thought it was cute when Emma gnawed on Spinner's arm. Wtf, Emma.
- It was hilarious seeing Captain Hair (Colin Mocherie? from Whose Line Is It Anyway? ) in the movie.
- Also, no. Spinner only banged Paige, Manny, some random off-screen girls, Darcy(?) and Emma. He didn't bang Hazel, Terri (don't really blame him there), Ellie, Ashley, Chantay, Alex, Holly J (not one of the originals, but she was friends with Spinner).
-As I told someone, "It started with a boner and ended with a marriage." Wtf, indeed. I don't know whether to hate or love the fact they (Spemma) grew on me.
Lexiness or Lexi~ #7 Adam Supporter!~ #22 Misfits Supporter!~
Supporter/Shipper of The Misfits, Eclare, Kenna, Fadam, Savvy J, Elitz, Ziley, Grossmance/Douchebag, Folly J, Team Bianca
http://lexikatness.tumblr.com/
regiusachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaJ (View Post)
Declan and Holly J were so cute, loved the skipping for strawberries.
I'm almost positive that's my favorite scene in the movie.