Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2016, 08:21 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Degrassi Next Class: Episode 202- #TurnItUp (5-31 Au, 7-26 Ca, 7-22 Netflix)

Rules -

1. No passing judgement or mocking the fans of characters or ships. Do not shame another poster for liking something you do not.
2. Please use constructive criticism. Try to focus on the episode itself. We encourage you to use our anti-threads if you need to express your overall dislike of a character or couple, especially since other boards at do not allow them. Take advantage of them here.
3. Do not ask for or discuss illegal downloads, especially including leaks (if they should occur). This includes links to episodes posted on YouTube and other non official video streaming sites. Discuss any links to download/live stream sources via private messaging.
4. Promos that air on television as well as online articles by reputable sources are not considered spoilers are are open for speculation. For more detailed information on spoilers read this thread.

Degrassi: Next Class- Season 2- Episode 202- #TurnItUp

May 31st, 8:37 PM AET (Australian Eastern Time) on ABC3 in Australia, and available on July 22nd (streaming) on Netflix (worldwide, except Canada, Australia & France).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC3
Hunter realises he must accept professional help. Shay considers whether or not she can defend Frankie. Angry, Zig blames Maya for everything that happened between them.

Last edited by kaleidocat; 07-25-2016 at 08:38 AM
kaleidocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:50 AM
Part-Time Fan

This one was pretty good and definitely better than the last one. The racism plot drew me in the most.

I would've liked it if they went back to two-parters because this episode, combined with the previous one, definitely felt like it'd be more cohesive that way.
Astroman129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:36 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

This arrived in my google alerts. I'll put it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeterboroughexaminer.com
The trickiest part about landing a role on Degrassi: Next Class for Kelaiah Guiel was keeping it to herself.

The Grade 11 Crestwood Secondary School student shot the episode in July, but wasn't able to share the news until now.

After signing a contract for gig, Guiel was sworn to secrecy.

"It was the hardest thing not to talk about it," she said.

Guiel, 16, plays the role of an upset teenager in Turn it Up, the second episode in Season 2.
read more at the source: Crestwood student appearing in Degrassi episode | Peterborough Examiner
Old 05-31-2016, 06:52 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Thanks for the update, Nicole, although to be honest, I don't recognize her from either of the episodes that have aired.

I liked seeing the dinner with Lola and the boys, although, Zig definitely needs to listen to Tiny next time.

I really think they dropped the ball by not having an authority figure at the school involved in the prank story line, and I think even more so than Snake, it needed something from Coach Armstrong. This show has always downgraded the importance of coaches in the sports team related story lines, and I know they want to make it all about the kids, but sometimes they have to veer from that path for a bit. I did like the conversation between Shay and her father, one of the highlights of the episode.

The Hunter story line is a bit rushed so far, but they are doing a good job of capturing the hopelessness of being in a place like that when you're a kid. That scene with Yael was suitably awkward, as was even that little hug Miles gave to Hunter. Overall, I'm really liking this story line, I hope they take their time with it. This is one that really doesn't need to move fast.

I think this a solid start to this group of episodes, with this one being the stronger episode.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:49 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe2000 (View Post)
I don't recognize her from either of the episodes that have aired.
Thanks for saying that because I thought it was me. Maybe she got the episode number wrong, or her scene(s) were cut.

Seeing Lola give love advice is like seeing a bull in a china shop.
But I have to give her a tad of agreement. Maya might not be responsible for Zig´s cheating but she´s also responsible for something going wrong in their relationship because she was so busy with her music that she didn´t see that Zig was desperately afraid of loosing her.
But Zig´s retconned more and more. I remember him being more sensitive, now he seems rather dumb. But I´m so cooled down on Zaya anyway I don´t really care anymore. The window scene in the last episode had a nice chemistry but IMO that´s thanks to the actors not to the storyline.

The prank storyline: Also missing grown ups involved, not only for the back prank but also for the prank the other girls played the Degrassi team.
TBH before Shay´s father explained it I was really confused why the ape should be racist at all (european pov, I never heard of that). And I really liked that Shay went for grown up advice.
But I have a really big But. Should Frankie listen to the girl and apologize herself instead of sending Shay? Of course. Should she be called a racist and asked to leave the team? IMO definitely not. The thing is they painted a whole zoo not knowing that the ape might be offending (even Goldi didn´t seem to know). If the girls of the other team had been white, they would have painted the same picture. You just can´t know and evade everything that might hurt someone.
. And if someone now thinks well it´s easy to say for someone who doesn´t know how it is to be black, well then there´s a label people put on me again and again without knowing they´re hurting me with it. I know they don´t know and tell them and usually they don´t do it again. If they still do it now knowing that they´re hurting me that´s when I feel I have the right to be angry at them. So if Frankie listens the girl out, takes it serious, apologizes, doesn´t do it again and that´s still not enough I´d call the other ones prissy and offensive for calling Frankie a racist.

Hunter/Miles
It´s great to actually see Hunter in therapy. So far people in addiction storylines (Katie/Fiona) were send to rehab and you never saw them actually being there. And that they didn´t make it all about medication (which is sadly often done in reality, at least here) also adds well to it.
Great acting of Spencer. When he´s throwing a tantrum you really see the sadness behind and want to give him a hug. And it´s so nice to see Miles doing the things right that their dad did wrong.
The only criticism I have is Frankie not being involved that much and the therapy sessions in public places with people around. In Hunter´s place I wouldn´t open up to the nicest doctor if there were like twenty people sitting around. I don´t know if it´s done in canada like this but over here it isn´t.

Last edited by Okun; 07-23-2016 at 02:59 AM
Okun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:16 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

This episode opened with Hunter in the sunlight, smiling like a kid on his first day of school, right? That was nice. This and the scene of him in the wrecked car in the episode prior had this kind of surreal feeling to it. Makes you stop and wonder what is going on...are these people really letting that kid go back to school? Nope. It wasn't real.

I was worried the hospitalization of Hunter would become too dramatic, especially when he went for those keys. But it wasn't. The staff was strict but respectful of Hunter and he came to some important realizations. I keep thinking about how his story progressed from being this aggressive gamer to potential school shooter to the confused boy now sitting in a psychiatric ward. This is a new story line, new location, new character direction. I'm interested but also conflicted. Everyone is worthy of redemption right?

I like how when Frankie and Shay are having their conversations it is like you are coming to the same realizations along with Shay. I felt as confused as she was. She must have thought she was imagining things and she wasn't. I wanted to believe that Frankie was stressed about meeting with Hunter at the hospital but then she has that relieved smile at the end of all these interactions and you start to wonder if she is just happy about getting her way.

Holy crap was I attentive when Shay's dad sat down with her. Gif worthy scene! So I liked that Shay - the queen of the sad far away gaze - pulled Frankie aside for their talk. I can't wait to see how Frankie reacts!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Hunter is obnoxious but at least his story is entertaining.

I liked all the race stuff because it’s definitely relevant and it’s an important topic that needed to covered. I don’t feel like Shay needed to be so harsh on Frankie, however Frankie should definitely understand the issue an publicly apologize for it.

Sad that Maya turned Zig down but she has a right to not want to be with him after what he did to her.
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:14 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I love the Amanda praise! That scene of her scarfing down food and giving Zig romantic advice was gold. Cool to hear the crew talk about who worked with her when and the moment they realized her comic talent.