Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2010, 12:08 AM
Extreme Fan

Bump, because I want more people to participate.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Most Underrated List aka Episodes I Like That Everyone Else Hates

This is hard because the fandom is so diverse with opinions. So I'll just assume that people hate season 7 (unjustly when there was the dreadful season 6), underrated season 1, Ashley, and the John Hughes homages of season 3.

10. Rumors and Reputations
- I like everything how the story progressed, from the trailing of the rumor about Liberty and Armstrong around school to Emma backtracking and realizing that she started the rumor herself. It was a good lesson about how even the slightest things we say can have an impact while keeping the entire episode feeling very middle school. This was Emma I knew and love, headstrong and has good intentions but often messes up. There was more consequences to her actions early on and it was easier to place yourself in the character's situation.

9. Parents Day - I love watching season 1 during the marathons on The-N/Teen Nick/Noggin whatever you want to call them. I miss the days when the channel was like the evening line up of Degrassi. I just prefer the episodes about Ashley and Toby over the others.

8. Family Politics - This episode was a nice introduction to all the new characters and a good conversation starter on blended families. Remember the days when Toby and Ashley dominated the early seasons? Me too. Miss the Kerwin/Isaacs clan. I liked how they were always around in the early seasons, from Jimmy with the working parents seeking out them out, using their house as the location for birthday parties, to Kate's dislike of Craig "who has problems, a lot of problems."

7. Karma Chameleon - Ah, early Paige vs. Ashly rivalry! Ashley's got attitude in this episode but there's strong implications that Paige was just looking for a way to push her out of their social circle. Both girls were in the wrong at some point in this episode, but I'm okay with their bad behavior because it led up to Ashley putting all hurt aside and being there for Paige in Shout. I don't think that their reunion would be as touching without this episode.

Also, I think that Ashley looking out of place and then crying as the school picture being taken is one of those universal scenes that everyone can relate to.

6. Don't Stop Believin
- This episode felt more like a farewell to Paige, Marco, and Ellie than Degrassi Goes Hollywood did. I'll always remember the final frame ending on them in an embrace after the internal struggle to accept that they must move forward with their lives after high school to different apartments and eventually new careers. I'm choosing to remember that trio that way.

5. Dressed In Black - Such a classic Degrassi episode. I love it whenever Ms. Kwan is there for English/Drama classes and they use whatever book or play they are studying at the time to build up the storyline. I know people come down hard on Ashley because they feel Jimmy wasn't trying to change her. But it doesn't matter because that's how she felt; people don't do what you want them to do. She needed to be around someone who doesn't make her feel that way and lets her question who she wants to be (and she found him). Craig and Ashley's performance of Taming of the Shrew is still moving to this day.

4. Drive - I don't know if anyone actually hates this episode, maybe they feel like it's a filler? I don't know. The episode just usually goes unnoticed. It's one of my favorites; it has the classic Degrassi humorous lines. And it was a great follow up to Craig's new family situation. I wish they would have kept the extended scene of Joey and Craig talking at home about the stolen car. That got a bit heavy with Joey declaring that "things are hard enough around here as it is" and Craig saying "Why don't you really be like my dad and hit me?"

3. Take On Me - I love this episode. It was so much fun to do the compare and contrast to The Breakfast Club for The Outcasts 200th thread. I think it had the perfect balance of taking key elements that everyone would identify with the movie but also putting their own spin on it. I appreciate the coupling much more in Take On Me and I'll spare you any long drawn argument on the message of The Breakfast Club with the choice in romantic pairings.

2. I Want Candy - I think a lot of fans fail to notice that like Take On Me, this episode is a homage to a John Hughes movie. This is Degrassi's spin on Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Ashley, while sometimes melodramatic like a lot of teen girls on screen on Degrassi and off screen in real life, is exaggerated here because she's supposed to be representing Cameron Frye. Unfortunately, Degrassi is not John Hughes (but who is?!) and cannot create the perfect combo of bringing to life a depressing teen who also has some great comedic moments as well as some heartfelt ones. I think Degrassi does do a decent job though. It's just lost on audience members who fail to recognize that this IS a light hearted episode just taking a spin on a great teen movie and instead interpret it as "Ashley is a mopey bitch." But those people really don't count in my book because they are always looking for fuel for their haterade.

I only wish this episode was aired before Rock 'N Roll High School. It would have made much more sense.

1. Owner of a Lonely Heart - Prostitutes on Degrassi?! Hell yeah! I freakin' love Devon. I'm his only fan. I think I liked this episode because I don't take it seriously at all, which might defeat the purpose since I think Degrassi was trying to tackle an issue but whatever. I also enjoyed the Jay/Manny towards the beginning of their relationship because they didn't take it seriously at all. They were funny (I think Mike and Cassie both do better in comedic roles) and it was refreshing. I think if they had remained a quiet b-plot couple for awhile longer and there was no WTF!Real Engagement, people might have warmed up to them more.

I actually rewatched this episode several times when it premiered on The-N. And it's created a lot of fun inside jokes about Devon with Degrassi buddies I talk to on MSN.

Honorable Mentions: Talking In Your Sleep and Don't Believe The Hype, for the same reasons that MegaJ and Erin mentioned. I didn't mind With Or Without You or Jessie's Girl either. Also much respect for Accidents Will Happen.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

just because I'm curious if more people will want to participate. I think it's a good idea for a thread. You don't have to get all ramble-y like we do. I know it's hard to choose but no one is going to judge you if you change your mind later.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Addicted Fan

I rewatched Innocent When You Dream the other night and I decided that that might be my favorite Degrassi episode of all time. I'm serious. Okay not really. But you have to admit that episode is hilarious.

It's been a while since I watched a lot of these and they're not in any real order, but I'll try...

Death or Glory (moreso part 1)
Live to Tell (SNARCY 4EVA)
Time Stands Still (well, duh)
Take My Breath Away (it's hilarious)
You Don't Know My Name (only for the B-plot obvs)
U Got The Look (also hilarious)
Standing in the Dark (I liked season 7 a lot...)
Voices Carry (I know, a Craig episode. Shocking!)
My Body is a Cage (although... I have issues with it too)
and I remember liking Danger Zone a lot, but I haven't seen it in a long time. Still waiting for my s8 DVD to get here. Oh, I kinda want to put Heart Like Mine on this list, too.

Ha, that was impossible. My list would probably change completely if I had a marathon right now.

My least favorite episodes (this is easier):

Our House (sorry but I HATE it, always have)
every single episode from season 5 except Lexicon of Love (if you ignore Kevin Smith) and maybe High Fidelity. Maybe.
Degrassi Goes Hollywood
West End Girls
Going Down the Road (see a pattern yet?)
What It Feel Like to be a Ghost?
Relax
Don't Believe the Hype
Got My Mind Set On You
Waiting for a Girl Like You / Somebody (it's the same episode, isn't it?)
oh and the Spring Break movie because it was the end of crazy Darcy and Craig is suddenly a rock star (lol no)

tl;dr - I hate Crellie and Kevin Smith.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Loyal Fan

Top 10 Favorite
Jagged Little Pill
High Fidelity
Time Stands Still
Redemption Song
Death Or Glory
Take No Me
Secrets & Lies (first episode I ever saw)
Anywhere I Lay My Head
Ghost in the Machine
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (so light-hearted and fun)
Honorable Mentions:
Our House, Shout/How Soon Is Now, Gangsta Gangsta, When Doves Cry, Live To Tell, Standing In The Dark.

Top 10 Least Favorite
Degrassi Takes Manhattan
Got My Mind Set On You (lmao I'm sure this one is on everyone's list)
Up Where We Belong (wtf, so boring and filler. I hate Mia.)
Innocent When You Dream
Relax
If You Leave
Love Is A Battlefield (both plots stunk and horrible send-off for Alex)
Uptown Girl
Causing A Commotion
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (a-plot only)
Old 08-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellifluouscloud (View Post)
Voices Carry (I know, a Craig episode. Shocking!)

You completely shocked me! If I ask you why you liked, it won't make you start to rage about Craig and find reasons to dislike it will it? But I'm just so curious!

Hope to see more people listing their favorites/least favorites. Or any other lists you want to make. We were also doing an "Episodes I love that everybody else hates."
Old 08-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Addicted Fan

Haha... I like it because it's a really intense episode. And really shocking. Like you had no idea what Craig was going to do next, and it was terrifying to watch him beat up Joey, trash the hotel room, etc. (I love how the first part ends with him trashing the hotel room and sitting there with this sort of deranged look on his face... and part 2 picks up with him calling Ashley and pretending nothing's wrong.) And some parts of it to me are unintentionally hilarious, like when he proposes to Ashley, and also after they have sex and their clothes are strewn all over the room. So it was a really well-rounded, well-written episode with lots of events that were particularly jarring, outright disturbing, but sometimes so bizarre that it became comical. And it even had a gay wedding!

Let's see, 10 episodes I love that everybody else hates... well I don't really know what everyone else hates. But maybe these are episodes I love even though they don't particularly stand out, or were viewed as filler:

Innocent When You Dream
I mentioned it already, but it's hilarious. Also I relate to Clare in it because I was so awkward like that when I was her age, and I would make up stories in my head and imagine myself dating the hot older guy who I barely knew just because he was nice to me a couple of times. And then end up epicly making a fool of myself. It was totally ridiculous, but it made me laugh.

I Just Don't Know What to Do With Myself
A very recent episode and I don't know if it was more liked or disliked. But I liked it because we got to see more of Sav trying to rebel against his parents, his insecurities, and his inability to lie to them. I loved how emotional he got in his final speech to them (after he was grounded) and his freakout during the ride home about how he thinks he's a loser.

Degrassi Takes Manhattan
I hate Declan and Holly J together, I'm indifferent to Spinner and Emma, I don't care for celebrity cameos, and I didn't like how Jane achieved instant fame after a day. But I enjoyed this movie anyway. It's highly entertaining and I actually don't mind Spinner and Emma together. I think in a really bizarre way... they make sense. And I don't think they invalidate the entire history of the show it all. It happened way too fast but it was realistic that they would be drawn each other at that time in their lives, I think. But Fiona really made this movie for me. The development of her character and her dependency on Declan nicely laid the groundwork for her stories in season 10.

Close to Me
I thought Declan and Jane were super cute together, sue me. And the sudden Jane/Manny friendship was random, but it worked.

Another Brick in the Wall
I loved that an episode so late in the series had an A-plot about Snake. And we got to see how he was affected in the aftermath of Darcy's accusations, even though Darcy was more or less "recovered" by then.

It's Tricky
I liked the A-plot with Ashley and Jimmy (the demise of their relationship and Ashley going behind his back to remove his rap), I liked their song, and in retrospect I enjoy the B-plot with Holly J and Mia vying for Sav's attention. And it was before they destroyed Mia.

I Want Candy
Love the Spinner/Paige/Ashley dynamic. And that Ashley does an Elvis impersonation!

Drive
Spinner + spray cheese. And there quite a few hilarious lines in this episode IIRC. Something about donuts...

Dressed in Black
I liked that Ashley recognized how Jimmy didn't see her for who she was, and the Craig/Ashley interactions were really sweet. (This was before I had any reason to hate Craig. )

Friday Night
The episode in which Spinner and Jimmy actually feel remorse for wanting to ruin Ms. Kwan's life at the end, and Emma and Sean are super awkward in a way that's deliciously fun to watch.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Part-Time Fan

Loved...

Accidents Will Happen
Lexicon of Love
Whisper to a Scream
Time Stands Still
Secret
Redemption Song
Rock This Town
Standing in the Dark
Death or Glory
Heat of the Moment

Hated...

Relax
The Power of Love
Weddings, Parties, Anything
Together Forever
True Colors
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Got My Mind Set on You (I think we can pretty much say this was the worst Degrassi:TNG episode ever :p)
Jessie's Girl (why do the most awesome songs always end up being the title for the ugh-est episodes?)
If You Leave (my all-time favorite song, crappy episode, bad mix)
...I can't think of a tenth.

Last edited by shance; 08-31-2010 at 12:54 AM
shance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:05 AM
Loyal Fan

Top 10 Episodes Underrated Episodes:

10. Fight the Power
Not exactly sure if this is really hated that much, but I really liked this one. I thought it was one of the few good episodes in Season 8. I hated the fact that Pia got together, but I liked the Jane plot. It also was the start of everyone noticing how biased The Shep was. A lot of authority figures can be biased and abuse their authority like The Shep did. Glad Jane stood up to him, Female empowerment ftw.

9. Love My Way
One of my favorite college episodes. I think a lot of people tend to forget about this or don't like it. I think it's really underrated. I love Spaige so I really liked this one when I saw it. Also the Spinner & Jesse fight over Paige was hilarious!

8. Another Brick in the Wall

I think all the people who did this list named this one. I liked it too for both plots. I thought it was one of the standouts of season 7. (besides the Spinner & Darcy ones) Both plots were good and I liked seeing everything from Snake's perspective.

7.I Want Candy/Take On Me
I know a lot of people don't like the John Hughes episodes, but I loved them. I thought they were was cute and Ferris & TBC is one of my favorite movies ever. I thought they did a good job with them and I love Sellie.

6. Paradise City/Degrassi Goes Hollywood
Yeah I really liked this movie. Eh it was somewhat of a disappointment, but I still enjoyed it. Especially in comparison to DTM. The Ellie plots was really great. I hate Crellie, but I liked the whole Ellie dealing with her father's PTSD. I thought it was the best send off for any character and Stacey's best acting. Very well written too. The Paige plot was okay (didn't like the ending), but the Manny plot was good and I loved the ending. I love Janny.

5. Bark at the Moon

A lot of people think it's pointless and they hate Spanny, but I actually like them. I think I'm one of the few Spanny shippers out there. They're not my favorite ship, but I still thought they were cute and had chemistry. I love all of Spinner's ships... well up until Spemma.

4. Moonlight Desires

I'm not sure if this one is totally hated, but I know there are a lot of people out there who think the last few episodes of S4 were weak. I agree with a few of them, but I loved this episode. It's one of my favorites ever. I liked both plots. The Marco/Dylan drama and the Spinner/Jay breaking into the school. It would be higher if I knew it was definitely hated.

3. Hot for Teacher

I really liked this one. It was one of the first new episodes I ever saw (started watching in S2) and I liked Jt's little crush on Ms. H. JT was so adorkable. Both of the plots in this episode are funny & lighthearted.

2. Don't Believe the Hype

Most people don't like it because it's a Hazel episode. I thought it was one of the best episodes of Season 2.

1. Message in a Bottle

I think a lot of Season 2 episodes are underrated especially this one. I wish Sean's alcoholism had lasted longer than one episode, but I still liked this one. I also loved the fact that the whole party stopped at the drop of a bottle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shance (View Post)
Jessie's Girl (why do the most awesome songs always end up being the title for the ugh-est episodes?)
Oh my gosh seriously! I totally agree, especially with this example. Like I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. Great song, bland episode. Same with Broken Wings (that episode wasn't completely terrible, but pretty boring), We Got The Beat, If You Leave (like you said), Love is a Battlefield, It's Tricky, Just Can't Get Enough,
Sweet Child o' Mine, etc. Although I'm very thankful for Jane Says and How Soon Is Now, 2 of my favorite songs ever and 2 of the best episodes ever imo.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:54 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Feel free to list your top ten favorites, least favorites, underrate episodes aka episodes you love that everyone else hates...or whatever else we have done in this thread. It's fun.

I'm going to do my list of minis:
10. Adam Lazzara Married My Mom. (Callie is going to mock me for this but I can't help it...I liked the mini, especially when that one fat dude starts choking. Oh well, we all have our faults.)
9. What If Emma Was Jay and Jay Was Emma?
8. What if Liberty was Paige and Paige was Liberty?
7. If Jay Can't Be Happy...
6. Diary of Jay Hogart.
5. Dating For Dudes
4. What If Peter Made a Movie About Degrassi?
3. Pirates of the Cafeteribbean
2. What If Craig Married Ashley?
1. The Party Etiquette series. (This mini is better than some episodes.)
Old 05-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellifluouscloud (View Post)
I Just Don't Know What to Do With Myself
A very recent episode and I don't know if it was more liked or disliked. But I liked it because we got to see more of Sav trying to rebel against his parents, his insecurities, and his inability to lie to them. I loved how emotional he got in his final speech to them (after he was grounded) and his freakout during the ride home about how he thinks he's a loser.
Back it up! People hate this episode? Seriously I looooove this episode. Might even have a place on my top 10... well maybe top 15. Probably #11 >.<
The only thing is the subplots were a bit weak. I always fast forward through that Jenna nonsense when I rewatch it. It's sad I've done that so many times that I always forget what the B/C plots were and have to think about it for a bit >.<
Old 05-05-2011, 12:14 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

"I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" would make it into my top 10 season 10 episodes without a doubt. I'm already starting to think about a list. Something the rest of you should also consider.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:06 AM
Extreme Fan

Old thread.

Looking back at my favorites list, I'd probably replace a few with some of the following:

- Heart Like Me
- I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself
- Try Honesty (Charlotte BETTER win a Gemini for this.)
- My Body Is A Cage
- Don't Let Me Get Me
- Hide and Seek (maybe, just for the Alli plot)
Old 06-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Total Fan

Loved:

Time Stands Still
White Wedding
Back In Black
Here Comes Your Man
Eye Of The Tiger
Love Games
Keep On Loving You
Rock This Town
Voices Carry
Love Lockdown (Charlotte and Landon so needs to be nominated for these episodes)

Hated:

I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself
You Don't Know My Name
Halo
Uptown Girl
Broken Promises
Start Me Up
99 problems
Touch Of Grey
Close To Me
Lost In Love (I really didn't care for most season 8-10 episodes)

Last edited by DollyJfan4life; 06-06-2011 at 08:33 AM
DollyJfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

So if you guys were going to pick your top 10 favorite episodes of season 10 what would they be?

I think I would pick....and this is in no particular order:
1. Better Off Alone
2. Purple Pills
3. I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself
4. My Body Is A Cage
5. Hide and Seek - But basically all the episodes that featured subplots that led up to Alli running away.
6. When Love Takes Over
7. Still Fighting It
8. What A Girl Wants
9. Breakaway
10. 99 Problems

Basically, I enjoyed episodes from "The Boiling Point" much more than the other half of season 10.