Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Celebrating Degrassi: The Next Generation's 10th Anniversary!

October 14, 2001 - After a near decade hiatus, the Degrassi franchise returns to Canadian television, as Mother and Child Reunion, the first episode of Degrassi: The Next Generation airs on CTV.

April 1, 2002 - American cable network The N starts airing the show, with Family Politics as their first episode. The show quickly becomes the flagship series for the network, which is re-branded TeenNick in 2009.

November 2002 - The show wins its first Gemini award, for Most Innovative Website Competition. To date the show has won 19 Geminis including four for Best Children's or Youth Fiction Program or Series and an additional four for Best Performance in a Children's or Youth Program or Series (Jake Epstein in 2003, Shenae Grimes in 2007, Charlotte Arnold in 2010 & Jordan Todosey in 2011).

January 3, 2003 - The episode Careless Whisper airs on CTV. The episode starts the story of the Degrassi franchise's first openly gay regular character, Marco Del Rossi, as he comes to terms with his sexuality and deals with the fallout with his friends and family. In the Season 3 episode It's Raining Men, Marco and his boyfriend Dylan share the franchise's first same sex kiss.

January 26 & February 9, 2004 - The season long Craig/Ashley/Manny romantic triangle culminates in the two-part episode, Accidents Will Happen. In the episode, Manny, pregnant with Craig's child, decides to get an abortion despite Craig's objections. The episode proved to be so controversial that it didn't air on The N until August 26, 2006.

October 1, 2004 - An article in Entertainment Weekly highlights Degrassi's breakthrough success. A similar article appears in the New York Times in March 2005.

March 20, 2006 - The Season 5 finale, High Fidelty, part 2 airs on CTV. It not only is the series' 100th episode, but for the first time, a group of Degrassi students graduates on the show.

January 9, 2007 - Two years after a school shooting left Jimmy Brooks paralyzed, Degrassi kills off its first regular character as J.T. Yorke is stabbed outside a party. JT's killing came after a season long riff involving students from Degrassi and rival school Lakehurst, a situation that is complicated even more in Season 7 when the two schools merge after Lakehurst is closed following a fire.

July 19, 2010 - For the first part of its tenth season, Degrassi, now airing on MuchMusic in Canada, is aired in a telenova format, running original episodes four night a week over six weeks. On August 5th, the series' 200th episode, Try Honesty, part 2, airs.

August 11 & 12, 2010 - Degrassi continues to break down barriers as the two-part episode My Body is a Cage introduces Adam, a female to male transgender student. The episode not only earns Jordan Todosey a Gemini award for her performance, it also earns Degrassi a prestigious Peabody Award as well as Degrassi's first ever Primetime Emmy nomination.

October 14, 2011 - We at the Degrassi board celebrate the show's tenth anniversary in style!
Please join us in the celebration by sharing your favorite memories of the show and as part of the fandom. JustMe2000 and I would like to know when you started watching, what the show means to you, and any other recollections you might have. Bring on the nostalgia by sharing favorite character quotes, fan art/icons, old promotional stills, and articles. We want to reminisce with you! Let's show the folks at Epitome how much the show has meant to us.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Wow. Just wow. Amazing job, Nicole.

I can't wait to stroll down memory lane with everyone. Looking forward to seeing what everyone says.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Some of Degrassi's first recognition by the press:

New York Times.

New York Times.

I still have my article from the Times. It's tucked in my Degrassi 411 book. I remember being so excited for this article. Bought it at Bound to be Read on Grand Ave in St. Paul (man, sometimes I really miss sleepy St. Paul). I think it was the Sunday edition...it seemed especially heavy and pricey. But the leftovers were a good read and served as a collage when reused.

Entertainment Weekly.

Entertainment Weekly.

The Advocate.

The Advocate.

TV Guide.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Master Fan

Happy Birthday to Degrassi!

I can't believe it's been a whole decade since Degrassi's been on TV! Even though I was in the first grade when it premiered, I've been watching since season 7 and am proud to call myself a fan (most of the time). I've enjoyed all of the twists and turns, highs and lows, and extremely commendable talent this show has to offer and I hope it has many many many many more seasons to come. It's become a part of my life through how well the writing can be and how impeccably most of the characters are portrayed. This show (especially in its earlier seasons) shows that television is not just mindless junk and can in fact be very important and informative. Although they have made changes over the years, I still think the show has stayed true to its original form. I especially enjoy watching a season's worth of the episodes over the summer when nothing else is on so I hope that continues from now on if possible.

The OP is just phenomenal. I especially love the tribute to the entire main cast. The originals grew up on this show and I think anyone involved should be proud and honored that they got to be a part of this amazing show.
vivalalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Passionate Fan

Amazing OP

Even though it may not seem like it sometimes, I really do love Degrassi. I remember when I first started watching it and was amazed at how it didn't sugarcoat things and make life look so glamorous all the time. There were real issues and the characters felt like people that I know. It took me out of my bubble and showed me that everybody has their own story and that you don't have to be like the people on Disney channel to be interesting. Also, I admire the fact that no matter how bad things got, there was always a way to make it better if you just stuck it out. So thank you Degrassi for opening my eyes to things I may have never known or understood. I hope Degrassi continues to be educational and fun at the same time .
Old 10-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Total Fan

awesome OP - great job

10 years since 'Jordan'? Wow.

{visit the '90s}

{please campaign & vote} mila kunis
varjak-golightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Extreme Fan

The OP is beautiful. Thanks Nicole! (and to anyone else if there were other contributors)

My first episode of Degrassi was "Working for the Weekend" (season 6). It is probably not the best episode in the show's tenure, but it intrigued middle school me because it was mature and seemed realistic. I don't know why, but I didn't watch again until season 8, when I saw "Jane Says." I still love that episode because it was my first taste of the Degrassi realism, particularly with regards to serious issues. By the time season nine premiered, I had seen just about every episode.

Degrassi speaks to me because it makes the lives of its characters lofty and epic, but in a realistic way. It can actually relate to my life, unlike most teenage shows. These days I'm a perennial critic of the show, but whenever I try other teen shows I come running back. I don't think the show has quite the authenticity of the old days anymore, but it is still more sincere and realistic than any teenage oriented show I have seen on tv.

While I love Degrassi for what it stands for (realism, mainly), above all I love the characters. Seeing Emma, Manny, J.T., Toby, Paige, Spinner, Jimmy, Ashley, etc grow up has been great, and I particularly like how we have seen the happy and sad moments of their lives, over 8 or 9 years. Even with the new cast, even though it lacks that history, we have seen a lot of great storylines and seen the cast mature.

Lastly, I'm really glad that Degrassi has brought me to because there is a really friendly community here, and it has been a lot of fun hanging out and talking to all of you.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I've told this story too many times...but I love sharing it:
I was home for Christmas break during my first year of college and my brother, 12 at the time, and I would stay up late chatting and watching TV. One night he tells me about this show called Degrassi; mainly an abused boy named Craig. Even just hearing about what happened in When Doves Cry...I felt this connection to the character...and I hadn't even seen his face yet. So we spent our holiday watching The-N. Now, if you watched Noggin during those early years you know that they basically air Degrassi over and over again. It was amazing. I can't remember my first episode exactly but I remember Drive the most because I hadn't seen When Doves Cry (this episode was considered controversial back then and rarely aired - I didn't see it until April 2003). I would secretly replay the end scene where Joey yells at Craig for stealing the car from his lot and wonder about his family now with Jeremiah and what it was like for him with his birth father. I created so many stories in my head about it. Who knew that years later Craig's story would continue to inspire me as I write him in fan fiction. And there's something about him that has allowed me to become more comfortable with my own experiences, although different than Craig's. The only way I can describe it as feeling safe. I get to explore how I feel and use him as this shield and heal at my own pace. Thanks for being there for me Craig. I don't think I'll ever forget him.

And thank you to my brother for introducing me to the show and creating a near 10 year old obsession. It all started that one holiday break back in 2002 with one VHS tape. My Degrassi VHS collection. Also recorded on this infamous Christmas break:

Old 10-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

The NY Times article was in their Sunday magazine. At that point in time the NYT Sunday edition was about the size of your average phone book. With the way newspaper are now, it's probably less than a third the size it was then. One thing I really like about that article was how they talked to guys (IIRC, one of the SoulSeek names was Cerebral Assassin) who stay up late and uploaded the episodes.

And the EW article, I remember that one too. That was in the beginning of the fourth season. The issue had the CSI cast on the cover. IIRC, they wrote about the filming of the scene in which Hot Sauces tosses Spin out of school.

I've never seen that clip before. Thanks for posting it, Nicole! I couldn't help but notice as we live in the era of the Degrassi uniforms, how everyone in that clip is wearing blue jeans. BTW, what was the fan's choice as their favorite episode?

Old 10-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Total Fan

What a wonderful OP. You did amazing, Nicole NYT loves Crash!~

I raced home every day to watch DJH after school in the 90s and was all WTF when I heard they were doing the Next Generation. My brother was the one who finally got me to watch during season 2 and it didn't take long for me to become absolutely obsessed. The very first transcript I wrote up was RRHS, one of my all-time favourite eps.

and then once I started learning photoshop...damn everything was Degrassi all the time. Hehe I think this was the first icon I ever made:

My favourite memory ever will always be the 100th Crash thread and the exec's visit. It was just everything I hoped for and more and I still believe it was our Crash support that led to their "reunion" in S7, and well...it was obviously us that worked so hard to get the Crash ~What If~ mini.

It's hard to put into words just what it means to me, but I'll always consider myself a true fanatic of all things Degrassi.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Extreme Fan

It's really nice to read the things everyone has to say. It's particularly cool to hear from Starsprite who has evidently been with the show for a long time
Old 10-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Everyone loves Spritey.

Well, maybe not Jack Bauer.......

Reply   Post New Thread