Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The 90's programming is going to be repetetive because of legal and licensing reasons and I accept that but I think that what's really happened is that the powers that be have never done much to give "Degrassi" a lead in or had a good show airing after "Degrassi."
Shipper Of: Holly J Sinclair and Declan Coyne, Degrassi's Power Couple, Sean Cameron and Emma Nelson, JT and Liberty, Drew and Bianca, Miles and Maya, Rob and Kristen Maddie and Wes, Riley and Lucas, Josh and Maya and Chuck and Blair, Jesse McKenna and Becca Thatcher and Simone and Eric Daniel and Noa, Max and Liz, Nikolas and Gia, Monse and Cesar and Ariana and Pete, Josh and Donna and Spencer and Trina, Miles and Lola
Holland Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Extreme Fan

True. But I can't imagine licensing to be expensive for shows which they already own (South of Nowhere, Radio Free Roscoe, Instant Star) instead of buying all of these random imports.
The only thing I like about TeenNick at this point is that they still have Avatar University up on their website. It's a fun game to play if I don't feel like playing The Sims. I use it for my Degrassi role playing needs.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalCouchPotato (View Post)
True. But I can't imagine licensing to be expensive for shows which they already own (South of Nowhere, Radio Free Roscoe, Instant Star) instead of buying all of these random imports.
The only thing I like about TeenNick at this point is that they still have Avatar University up on their website. It's a fun game to play if I don't feel like playing The Sims. I use it for my Degrassi role playing needs.
I was refering to the licensing issue with "The 90's Are All That" not the rest of the schedule. The only things that I watch that are currently airing on Teennick are "Degrassi" and "The 90's Are All That." It would interesting to know exactly why shows that Teennick already owns aren't still airing in some capacity on Teennick now.
Shipper Of: Holly J Sinclair and Declan Coyne, Degrassi's Power Couple, Sean Cameron and Emma Nelson, JT and Liberty, Drew and Bianca, Miles and Maya, Rob and Kristen Maddie and Wes, Riley and Lucas, Josh and Maya and Chuck and Blair, Jesse McKenna and Becca Thatcher and Simone and Eric Daniel and Noa, Max and Liz, Nikolas and Gia, Monse and Cesar and Ariana and Pete, Josh and Donna and Spencer and Trina, Miles and Lola
Old 04-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland Fan Forever (View Post)
I was refering to the licensing issue with "The 90's Are All That" not the rest of the schedule. The only things that I watch that are currently airing on Teennick are "Degrassi" and "The 90's Are All That." It would interesting to know exactly why shows that Teennick already owns aren't still airing in some capacity on Teennick now.
Oops, sorry! But yeah, I think it's weird that they still only show the same few shows even though Wikipedia (Not the best source, but better than nothing) says they have a lot of other stuff up their sleeve. And are they still only showing the same first three seasons of All That? They're not even showing musical performances so I have no clue what licensing drama seasons 4, 5, and 6 would have.
I think TeenNick owns a lot of shows, judging by their website. They have all of their old shows, Freaks & Geeks, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Undeclared, One on One, and What I Like About You, in addition to what they show frequently (H20, The Dan Schneider shows, Degrassi).
Old 04-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalCouchPotato (View Post)
Oops, sorry! But yeah, I think it's weird that they still only show the same few shows even though Wikipedia (Not the best source, but better than nothing) says they have a lot of other stuff up their sleeve. And are they still only showing the same first three seasons of All That? They're not even showing musical performances so I have no clue what licensing drama seasons 4, 5, and 6 would have.
I think TeenNick owns a lot of shows, judging by their website. They have all of their old shows, Freaks & Geeks, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Undeclared, One on One, and What I Like About You, in addition to what they show frequently (H20, The Dan Schneider shows, Degrassi).
The reason that we don't and won't see any musical performances on "All That" is because of legal reasons and licensing and this is the same reason that we don't see more episodes of any number of shows during "The 90's Are All That."
Old 05-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

what is AWH btw?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Master Fan

^ Accidents Will Happen, the episode that The N refused to air originally because it dealt with the issue of abortion.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That was gfood cranny ep me being a cranny fan. my main ship on this show anyways.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

So........

Typical Degrassi episode on TeenNick:

10 minutes of show.
3 and a half minutes of commercial.
9 minutes of show.
3 and a half minutes of commercial.
3 and a half minutes of show.
Next show starts right away.

Last Friday's Degrassi on TeenNick:

18 and a half minutes of show.
4 minutes of commercials.
3 and a half minutes of show (with the closing credits being played on the bottom of the screen during the last scene).
4 minutes of commercials until next show starts.

So what do we think of this change?

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I did not like it one bit. Last week's episode was a snoozer so I kept glancing at the clock and waiting for the commercial break. When you want to listen to the education connection jingle then the episode might not be living up the frostival hype.

I've often wanted to bump this thread so I can complain about their programming. I only watch the channel for Degrassi and the 90's show block (and they really need to air more of a variety of shows - I hate All That). I miss the days of The-N. Did anyone watch the channel back in in the early 00's? It was awesome with it's odd foreign shows. And let us all fondly recall when they aired Daria and My So-Called Life. I remember the Degrassi cast actually did a special commercial bumper during each episode "premiere" of MSCL. OH MY GOD! Why do I not have Jake and Melissa hosting the Halloween episode on my site or my computer? I better have that on VHS...
Old 05-17-2012, 03:28 AM
Addicted Fan

Yes, those days were awesome!

I definitely miss when they had original shows that were worth watching like Instant Star, The Best Years, and South of Nowhere. I've been dying to buy the Instant Star DVDs and rewatch it again. In fact I'll be buying that show before I buy season 11 of Degrassi on DVD.

I remember when they put Alexz Johnson and Miriam McDonald together in a commercial. Those were the glory days of the channel for me. Now I really only turn the channel on if I want to watch a rerun of Full House or something on the 90's Are All That block. Maybe on occasion if I actually remember theres a new ep of Degrassi on I'll catch it but it's no longer must watch as it airs TV for me.

Last edited by ihavealife2uknow; 05-17-2012 at 05:41 AM
ihavealife2uknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Part-Time Fan

Oh I'm SO happy that this thread is for criticizing Teennick and not The N. Yeah, Teennick, really, really ruined Degrassi when they sent their "writers" over. They claimed that it would still be the same channel but it's really, really not. They used to show shows like The Best Years but now it's all crap like iCarly and Drake and Josh. I used to actually watch The N regularly, but then I just started watching it for Degrassi and New Degrassi, which ironically is now the channel's worst show thanks to their influence.
And it's not just the shows and Good Degrassi I miss; the commercials used to be funny too. Now their commercials are so obnoxious they just make me wanna punch puppies.

I actually liked the 90s stuff. That and Good/Old Degrassi are the only reasons why I would ever flip over to this channel ever again.

"YES OF COURSE I IRON MY UNDERWEAR. I AM NOT A HEATHEN EMMETT."
Squall_L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:03 AM
Addicted Fan

I miss everything about The-N, oh and when the promos for the episodes actually connected to the main plot of the episodes. If an episode back then was about Fiona's money troubles and Eclare was the b-plot then the promo would revolve around Fiona's money troubles. I also miss the half hour 2 plot episodes.
ihavealife2uknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

So what the hell is up with TeenNick and their stupid promo? Did they forget to release it or what? And why do it on a holiday? Let's try to keep the tweens inside and glued to their tv/computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidocat (View Post)
I remember the Degrassi cast actually did a special commercial bumper during each episode "premiere" of MSCL. OH MY GOD! Why do I not have Jake and Melissa hosting the Halloween episode on my site or my computer? I better have that on VHS...
I found my VHS tapes! And it turns out I freaked out over nothing because it was the "Countdown to Degrassi." Holy crap is it awesome to see this on my TV again though. I might have to watch this...just for the commercial breaks. Which were short, like 30 seconds max. Huge change from what TeenNick is.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall_L. (View Post)
Oh I'm SO happy that this thread is for criticizing Teennick and not The N.
I get what you're saying, but they're the same thing. TeenNick is just The N rebranded. It wasn't sold to another company or anything; it was always Viacom/MTV/Nickelodeon.

When it was The N, they controlled the content of the show too, but in different way. They censored episodes excessively. There was a time when probably half the episodes had been edited for content. And they banned AWH for years, as everyone knows. Even though it aired in Canada, the fact that the episode was banned in the US clearly altered the plotlines on the show. Manny's abortion was only alluded to once.

Maybe they have a hand in the creative process now but IMO it's really not that different from the censorship. Degrassi switched networks in Canada so I also wonder if Much has influence over the content... my guess would be yes.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread