Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2015, 07:52 PM
Extreme Fan

If the show isn't getting ratings, then it's easily for them to drop...I did read a ratings report that TeenNick gets along fine just airing off-Nickelodeon repeats so I suppose if Zoey 101/Victorious/iCarly keeps the channel alive, why bother funding a show they can't really control? Especially in recent years since the MTV Canada thing...they had to go along with season 13 which wasn't shown in a strip and aired on Tuesdays, and TeenNick is used to airing it on Fridays back when it was one ep a week.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:16 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I thought this was an anti The-N article and was a little upset. I too have nostalgia for the channel. TeenNick, not so much. But they did give us Degrassi fans quite a bit so they are alright. I'm not mad about them dumping Degrassi because I like its new home on Netflix better. I'm a happy little fan.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:15 PM
Extreme Fan

An excerpt from Stephen Stohn's new book Whatever It Takes:

Quote:
My heart sank as I put down the phone and wondered what to do next. After thirty-five years and nearly five hundred episodes, Degrassi had been cancelled.

I’d had brave words for the network executive at Viacom in reply to his almost nonchalant, “We’ve decided to move in a different direction. Degrassi is over, but we’d like you to come back to us with some ideas on how to celebrate the fourteen years you’ve been the top show on our network ― something fitting to end the series.”

“It’s not ending,” I’d said. “We believe in what we’re doing. We thought you did, too. Our plans for this coming season are just too good to let go. Degrassi is going to continue. If not with you, then somewhere else.”

He ignored me. “I’ll look forward to hearing what you come up with to finish the show. Something grand. A special episode, maybe? Or … how ’bout you talk Drake into doing a two-hour concert special to end it all? Think about it and get back to me.”

Click. And that was it. A complete shock. We’d been sure the upcoming season was in the bag. But the television business can be brutal. Despite my confident words, it appeared this was indeed the end. Mute, I stared out the window and recalled the day thirty-five years earlier when, as a newly minted entertainment lawyer, I had first met my future wife, Linda Schuyler. It was a quick meeting, made quicker by the advice I had given her: “Don’t hire me!”
Ugh. Since then, TeenNick skewed younger and younger and now with Viacom's restructuring, it looks like Viacom will drop the lesser-performing channels so byeeeeee.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:42 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I haven't watched TeenNick since the last Degrassi episdodes they aired. I did notice in my listings recently that TeenNick had finally gone HD. Go figure.

And does anyone doubt that the guy he was talking to was a snot nosed 25-year-old?

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:44 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

What season were they on in 2009? Was that right before season 10, their big hit? Such terrible decision making at that channel. Is it run by actual teenagers?
Old 07-11-2019, 10:35 PM
Extreme Fan

So I guess that "new direction" didn't work out and TeenNick is back to airing actual teen fare again. Confusing considering it was all about to turn into a NickRewind channel.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:27 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

There's a NickRewind channel on the free app TubiTV. Which is really awesome for those of us who don't have cable.

I overheard a convo in my neighborhood bookstore and this woman was saying how TPTB have signed over all the rights to the classic SNICK type shows we grew up with. So expect reboots, she said. Dude she was talking to said to pitch that show with the skateboarders...Rocket Power. I almost intervened.
Old 04-03-2022, 04:23 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

This thread has since become The-N appreciation thread, I think. I like it that way. It is great to go back and read. I miss everything about that stupid channel. It didn't have commercials when it started out. It was just Degrassi! And then late at night was weird foreign shows.

Anyway. Our very own Benji was interviewed recently in an article about The-N.

Quote:
After The N closed down, Reyna joined The N-focused communities on LiveJournal and connected with other teens on MSN Messenger. As a sentimental person, he started his own Degrassi and The N Tumblr to keep the channel’s memory alive. When looking for new content to share, he saves media using The Wayback Machine. Some of the throwback content even comes from his own hard drive: “Back then, there was no YouTube, and TV shows weren’t available on iTunes or Amazon, so I would go on the-n.com and save everything.”

Reyna doesn’t think there could ever be another community as special as the one formed by The N. “There’s only clips and streaming now,” he explained, speaking to the websites created by today’s networks. Social media seems to have replaced the kind of community found on those early aughts websites. At the drop of a new season of current-day TV, Tweets and TikToks about teen shows like HBO Max’s Euphoria and Netflix’s Outer Banks flood everyone’s feeds, creating a sense of community for those channels. But former fans of The N know how good they once had it. “[Networks] don’t care about fostering real engagement anymore,” Reyna said. “It just doesn’t feel as special.”
For some reason the interviewer seemed to not acknowledge our board. Unless I missed it. That is why I am using the anti thread to promote it.