Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Dedicated Fan

YES! Please add me.

Cuddle me, shipmate!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellifluouscloud (View Post)
Oh - I only knew that because you mentioned it in the ep discussion thread!
I hate when I forget about telling someone something.

Quote:
even if he had said the phrase correctly, it was still a completely bizarre moment.

Yes! I mean, high school students alluding to Pliny the Elder is totally normal, right?

Now I kind of want to use that expression around my friends
Old 02-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Addicted Fan

Don't forget the "verbal acuity" line (or whatever it was). I need a :cringe: emoticon.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Alright...just a few things...broken record mod time:
- Let's try not to discuss the Eli or Munro fans in here. I'm sure none of you are referring to fans on the board but making assumptions can cause hurt feelings anyway. Besides I'm sure that there can be plenty of other discussion/reasons without involving them.
- I'm sure that Eclare's relationship is bound to come up for discussion in here. That's absolutely fine. And it's fine for Eclare supporters or haters to post in here together. But let's just try to remember to word our posts carefully to avoid any hurt feelings.

Forget I made this as a title suggestion.
- Because Eli has more drama than a sinking ship on fire.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:28 AM
Part-Time Fan

Can I join? I'm so glad to finally have a place to talk about how much Eli bothers me
Old 02-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Don't forget the "verbal acuity" line (or whatever it was). I need a :cringe: emoticon.
That's an excellent example.

And I love Nicole's thread name idea
Old 02-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidocat (View Post)
Alright...just a few things...broken record mod time:
- Let's try not to discuss the Eli or Munro fans in here. I'm sure none of you are referring to fans on the board but making assumptions can cause hurt feelings anyway. Besides I'm sure that there can be plenty of other discussion/reasons without involving them.
- I'm sure that Eclare's relationship is bound to come up for discussion in here. That's absolutely fine. And it's fine for Eclare supporters or haters to post in here together. But let's just try to remember to word our posts carefully to avoid any hurt feelings.

Forget I made this as a title suggestion.
- Because Eli has more drama than a sinking ship on fire.
I don't mean to sound rude but with all due respect. this is an Anti thread. Eli fans should know to stay well enough away from here. And what happened with Jordan on Formspring still has me angry
Old 02-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkCityRoyalty (View Post)
I don't mean to sound rude but with all due respect. this is an Anti thread. Eli fans should know to stay well enough away from here. And what happened with Jordan on Formspring still has me angry
We're not supposed to discuss the fans, though. What's their business is their business... and there's enough to hate about Eli without dragging his fans into it. Also this thread isn't anti-Munro either... it's not his fault he has to play a crappy character!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
And overall, I can't take his character seriously because he seems like Clare dreamed him up out of one of her fan fictions. He's just this brooding, mysterious, ~dark (but not really), "bad boy" whose characterization lacks any depth and is so contrived and laughable that I'm forced to roll my eyes at every new "revelation" about him. I feel that he exists solely to fulfill the "teen dream" ideal. And I resent that his whole backstory was shoved down our throats and I'm supposed to care about things that I'm hearing about secondhand, never actually witnessed, and are told in a completely unimaginative way. AND I'M SUPPOSED TO EMPATHIZE.
I agree with this especially. Eli will be saying all of these things to make us feel sympathy and I'm like ... so why are you still acting like a jerk? Like when he said the whole thing with Fitz was to 'defend Clare's honour'... that was a huge load of
Old 02-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_vanilla (View Post)
I agree with this especially. Eli will be saying all of these things to make us feel sympathy and I'm like ... so why are you still acting like a jerk? Like when he said the whole thing with Fitz was to 'defend Clare's honour'... that was a huge load of
It annoys me that Eli's entire character development (if you could call it that) is all tell and no show. We're told explicitly that this is what happened and this is what we're supposed to feel about it and this is why we should pity him. Maybe I would care if you showed me his past instead. I don't understand why they couldn't introduce Eli more like how Craig was introduced, since they are both similar in having a dark past. I say this as someone who is not a Craig fan -- his early episodes are among the most powerful of the entire series. Why couldn't Eli's very first episode include Julia? Or at least a flashback to the night she died? Or maybe he could have been introduced with the hoarding issue and explored his ~tormented soul from there. Instead his entire characterization is completely backwards, causing every new revelation to feel anticlimactic and even predictable. And we really only know him through the eyes of Clare, dating back to his first appearance. That never changed.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Extreme Fan

^
YES! So true. And it doesn't help that he has hardly ever appeared independently from eclare.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:45 AM
Part-Time Fan

I don't hate Eli, but there is this quiz on The-N's site about whether you're romantically compatible with him.

I'm like "LOL REALLY?".

Also, on Facebook, all conversations about Degrassi these days turns into fangirl after fangirl proclaiming their love for him.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD9999 (View Post)
^
YES! So true. And it doesn't help that he has hardly ever appeared independently from eclare.
Yea, that totally bugs me! This is one of the reasons "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" is my 2nd fave episode of season 10! It wasn't relationship based! You got to see Sav and Eli sans relationship drama, which is exceeding rare!

I wish they would have developed the budding Sav/Eli/Adam friendship. It would have been epic and given Sav something to do other than run headlong into another relationship! And we could have seen more side to Eli, other than how Clare views him. Ugh. At this point I'd settle for more Eli/Adam friendship scenes. One where they're not talking about a girl (don't they have a shared love of comics? Let's see them head to the comic shop or a convention. Come on writers! Be original for once!).

They need to SHOW Eli's characterization and backstory. Right now he's feels like a Gary Stu (male Mary Sue). It's ridiculous. I just watched the sneak peak for the March episode, and as much as I want to like eClare, I can only handle them in small doses. When they have an A plot they irritate me. I found Klare's interactions (in s8 & 9) way more adorable and endearing then I find eClare's banter on the show.

Argh!!! End rant.

My fics: Fadam / Badam / Rebel
Old 02-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shance (View Post)
Also, on Facebook, all conversations about Degrassi these days turns into fangirl after fangirl proclaiming their love for him.

If you haven't read the new topped thread, you might want to. I'm not sure if this type of comment is permissible or not.

(just so you know, the basic idea is that we're trying to limit anti-fan discussion. It can be a bit difficult, particularly with this couple, but it can alleviate board tensions)
Old 02-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Passionate Fan

TITLE IDEA!

Because telling rather than showing makes for one crappy character