Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Master Fan

Anti-Eli/Imogen #1 Because this is one relationship that cannot be called healthy

Welcome to the first Anti-Imogen/Eli thread. This thread is for everyone who does not support the pairing of Imogen/Eli be it because they don't like the ship or because they wish Degrassi would show this pairing for what it is: unhealthy. Feel free to join and post here even if you are looking forward to their storyline, I think we can all understand there are different reasons for not supporting them even if you might like them a bit Of course feel free to post if you despise them as well.

01. Nekoshoujo
02. necklace
03. nike91391
04. KatieCTalksAlot
05. eclecticSJ
06. EClare_x3
07. Holland Fan Forever
08. keyofdestiny
09. ChinaTequilia

01. Because promoting this couple as healthy is sending the wrong message to fans.
02. Because an interesting storyline does not a healthy relationship make.
03. Because Imogen manipulated Eli to suit her own agenda.
04. Because Eli told her she meant nothing to him.
05. Because no one should be dating their stalker.
06. Because all they do is hurt each other.
07. Because Eli used her as a substitute for Clare.
08. Because she had to lie to him in order to get some space.
09. Because he couldn't trust her.
10. Because she violated his privacy with her art project.
11. Because the reality of being with him wasn't what she thought it would be.
12. Because they're better off as friends.
13. Because Imogen has better chemistry with Fiona.
14. Because they couldn't get together on their own and had to be set up by Fiona.
15. Because Bullfrog does not approve.
16. Because Eli couldn't handle the relationship.
17. Because their relationship brought the spunky Imogen way down.
18. Because they weren't happy together.
19. Because he scares her.
20. Because she can't handle the relationship.

Last edited by Nekoshoujo; 04-15-2012 at 04:07 AM
Nekoshoujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Extreme Fan

You can add me
necklace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Part-Time Fan

Add me. They are becoming the least healthy relationship that has ever been shown on this show and I think thats saying something.
nike91391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Master Fan

^ It really is O__O Adding you both.

You know the scene that makes me not ship these two? It's not even an Imogen/Eli scene. It's the Bullfrog/Eli lecture in part 1 of DOMS. That scene broke my heart. Maybe it's because I'm older than the student characters but I'm really starting to see the parents' side of things. And here's a scene with a father admitting to his son that he hasn't been the best parent and that he had a wake up call with the crash. When Bullfrog said he was scared to lose Eli I just lost it. It's there anything more heartbreaking than losing your child? He just wants the best for Eli and the best is for Eli to get better. Bullfrog said it best: "It's more important than anything." And so in the next episode after watching this man who loves his son, I mean the truest deepest kind of love there is, tell him he needs to get better, and seeing Eli throw it all away. I just can't... I just don't understand how Imogen could have Eli's best interest at heart after watching that.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Dedicated Fan

HAHAHAH!! Asya your OP!! god i love you!
Add me..
I am not one of those Eclare fans who wouldn't want or thinks Eli should just pine for Clare from afar. if he dated say Katie.. someone head strong who didn't take BS then i would be all for it.. but Imogen scares me and has scared me since i read her character bio back in March. she was the one character i didn't care for. then Dirt off your shoulders came and i was like :GTFO! Don't take ELi's meds.. he needs them!" I hope that when EClare gets back together there is more to her character than just Eli's crazy stalker.. maybe she gets so hurt by Eli really loving Clare and not her that she realizes she can't manipulate people..,. i would be all for her.. but right now.. i don't like her and i don't like her with Eli.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Master Fan

^ As much as I'm for Eli being single right now. I agree about the being with someone else part.

My mom used to talk about her parents and how they were both two really messed up people: angry and depressed. And about how as a couple those things just multiplied. But had they been with other people, strong, kinder people then they would have done a lot better. Right now I see this as being Eli and Imogen's primary problem.

and thanks Katie
Old 08-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Part-Time Fan

add me, i cannot stand them.

It's so unhealthy, and Imogen is manipulating him so much worse than Eli "manipulated" (i dont really believe he did but...) Clare. She's clearly not helping him and is making some serious mental damage for Eli. I wouldn't mind if they were friends with similar interests, but Imogen has alterior motives and it's unfair to Clare who is just trying to move on and maybe stay on good terms with Eli.
LSpell619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Part-Time Fan

Alright, this is probably the only time I'll be here.

I do not ship these two. I merely like them together, though they are completely wrong for each other and should not be together.

I love Imogen on her own, when she isn't manipulating and ruining Eli. She doesn't have his best interest at heart, she wants him for her own agenda. She's destroying him, and soon she'll have driven his parents to commit him. However, I can't help liking these two in an angst sense. In a twisted, cruel way. This is, in fact, the most unhealthy relationship Degrassi's had so far.

While I currently like the idea in the twisted, insane manner, that is subject to change in future episodes. So I may ask to join soon enough. I've actually posted a few times on the Eli/Imogen appreciation thread, though I've made it clear I don't ship it, but I like it.
IcyQueenofIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Master Fan

^ See that I completely get. Really that's why I think I'll enjoy their storyline overall, but I just can't really support this ship at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSpell619 (View Post)
add me, i cannot stand them.

It's so unhealthy, and Imogen is manipulating him so much worse than Eli "manipulated" (i dont really believe he did but...) Clare. She's clearly not helping him and is making some serious mental damage for Eli. I wouldn't mind if they were friends with similar interests, but Imogen has alterior motives and it's unfair to Clare who is just trying to move on and maybe stay on good terms with Eli.
Added and word! It's the alterior motive part that bugs me because I feel like since Degrassi hasn't done a PSA anything about these two people might misinterpret it all. I think it would a responsible choice to have MuchMusic and Teennick post a blog about Eli and Imogen eventually pointing out how if someone is in Eli's position they should see actual help and consult their doctor before stopping medication.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Loyal Fan

If Imogen thought she was actually helping Eli, I might be more inclined to like this pairing (even if I were against what she was doing). It's one thing to have good intentions and not have what you plan work out quite the way you thought it would, and another thing entirely to mess with someone's head because you have an agenda, especially when you know you're harming them and you just don't care.

I do understand "shipping" them for the angst. Because in a way, I think I'll enjoy that aspect of their storyline as well. However, I don't understand the people that are claiming Imogen is helping Eli and that she's so much better for him than Clare. Even more messed up - there are people who ship it because they don't like Eli and want to see him suffer, and they think he deserves it because he's behaved in questionable ways in the past. As if it's some kind of sick retribution for something he did while going through a mental breakdown. 0_O No one deserves to be manipulated like this. How is Eli ever going to get better or learn what it means to have a healthy relationship when he's in another completely unhealthy one with Imogen? I know that his last relationship was unhealthy because of him, but the goal here shouldn't be to make him "pay" for previous mistakes. Eli will continue to be in relationships that are ****ed up and co-dependent, leaving a string of horrible relationships/breakups behind him throughout his life, if he doesn't ever get better, and he can't do that with Imogen by his side while she's enabling him.

Taking advantage of a person by feeding them lies when they're off their medication, not to mention refusing to give back someone's medication when they're desperate for it and on the verge of a panic attack...it's so very wrong. Not only is she hurting Eli, but she's also indirectly harming Clare by slandering her and encouraging Eli to do the same.

I understand that Eli's choices are his own, and that writing the play is something that he should take responsibility for, but that's not an excuse to let Imogen off the hook for what she's doing. Not at all. Especially because Eli wouldn't believe any of that about Clare if it weren't for the fact that Imogen planted those thoughts in his head in the first place. She did something really dangerous by practicing a role play excersize with him - something that shouldn't be performed by a non-professional.

Eli is messed up, but Imogen is too. And two negatives don't make a positive. They both seem to have a lot of issues and being in a relationship with each other is no good. Imogen needs help too, if you ask me (because she's clearly not all there, even if I suspect she's lucid enough to know what she's doing is inappropriate), and Eli needs to stop dating for a while. Girls are not what he should be focusing on. He wasn't really ready for a relationship with Clare, and he's definitely not ready for another one, regardless of whether that girl is just as messed as he is or not.

Perhaps if Imogen stops being such a negative influence and Eli goes back on his meds, I'll be able to ship them. Right now, though...

What's really irritating is that there seems to be this idea floating around tumblr that the only people who don't like Imogeli/Elmo/Emo/whatever the hell it is are "butthurt" EClare shippers, which means that if you ship EClare, you are (not surprisingly) not allowed to express your opinion without being called a biased whiny fangirl. Not only is that not true, but it's also ridiculous to say that the only reason someone who shipped EClare could have a reason to hate this pairing is because they ship the rival one. There are so many other reasons to dislike it. lol

I know that EClare turned sour at the end. But it wasn't always like that, and I still ship it because it had redeeming qualities, and I have faith that things will be different the second time around (if there ever is one). And yes, perhaps Emo could turn out to be a better relationship later down the road, but for right now...to me, there's nothing about them that I want to support.

Last edited by Kwinks; 08-02-2011 at 05:27 PM
Kwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Loyal Fan

Oh, thank you for creating this thread! I'll probably be ranting in here quite frequently.

Quote:
What's really irritating is that there seems to be this idea floating around tumblr that the only people who don't like Imogeli/Elmo/Emo/whatever the hell it is, are "butthurt" EClare shippers, which means that if you ship EClare, you are (not surprisingly) not allowed to express your opinion without being called a biased whiny fangril. Not only is that not true, but it's also ridiculous to say that the only reason someone who shipped EClare could have a reason to hate this paring is because they ship the rival one. There are so many other reasons to dislike it. lol
Everything you just said was perfectly done, but I really like this part here. I came on this thread to express this same thought but you said it much better than I could have. It's so true, though. Also, I completely recognized that EClare's relationship was unhealthy towards the end. But Eli/Imogen seems to be the most unhealthy relationship they've had on this show, for reasons you've all stated. I agree, Imogen 100% needs help as well as Eli. After Eli gets all his stuff together, I would like to see something similar for Imogen. Because they cannot just let her off after all this.

Please add me.
EClare_x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Loyal Fan

I still don't get how people think Imogen is innocent.

Is it wrong to put all of the blame for what Eli's doing on her? Yes. Eli's the one who threw his pills away. But Imogen was the one who convinced him, on purpose, might I add, that he didn't need them. It's not right to blame it all on Eli when he's being manipulated. Imogen needs to take responsibility for what she's doing too.

Was it Eli's ultimate choice to throw the pills away? Yes. But it wasn't a choice he made without someone else's influence. Really, it's not a choice he made on his own, because he made it only after Imogen lied to him. If it was a choice he made completely on his own, then he would have done it without Imogen's input. But she played a part in his behavior and is therefore semi-responsible. Manipulation is wrong. Period. End of discussion. Manipulation doesn't mean you force someone to do something or make that choice for them. What it means is that you deceive or trick them, or in some other way get them to do what you want, even though it may be their own decision in the end. Should Eli have known better? Yeah, but that doesn't absolve Imogen of all guilt.

The most important thing to note is that Imogen's intent was to get Eli to throw out his meds, and this is so obvious because of her little triumphant smirk at the end of the episode. It was her goal, and that alone makes it obvious manipulation.

It bothers me how many people are still saying that they don't think Imogen is doing anything wrong, because it couldn't be any more obvious that she is.

Now, don't get me wrong - I don't yet think Imogen is necessarily a bad person, and she certainly makes for an interesting character. And perhaps she even has some issues as well. I just think what she's currently doing is wrong. And I'm of the opinion she knows it.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps she's just naive or misguided. Maybe she really does think she can help Eli. But she's messing with a very precarious balance here. Eli is a mentally unstable person with a lot of serious issues, and although she may think she can control him, I think she may be in over her head. In the end, I think Eli will become too much for her to handle.

Last edited by Kwinks; 08-03-2011 at 03:18 PM
Kwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think that this Imogen and Eli have an unhealthy relationship and it's been unhealthy from the very beginning. Imogen seems like one of those people who does something but does not think about or care about the consequences of her actions and how her actions could really hurt others and that Imogen is only thinking about herself and her wants or needs. Add me, please.
Shipper Of: Holly J Sinclair and Declan Coyne, Degrassi's Power Couple, Sean Cameron and Emma Nelson, JT and Liberty, Drew and Bianca, Miles and Maya, Rob and Kristen Maddie and Wes, Riley and Lucas, Josh and Maya and Chuck and Blair, Jesse McKenna and Becca Thatcher and Simone and Eric Daniel and Noa, Max and Liz, Nikolas and Gia, Monse and Cesar and Ariana and Pete, Josh and Donna and Spencer and Trina, Miles and Lola
Holland Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Master Fan

@Kathryn - W O R D!!!

Okay so I kinda like the idea of Imo as Eli's sidekick so long as he doesn't take her advice any more.

But seriously Eli, don't date your fangirls. It's just a bad idea no matter how you look at it!
Old 10-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Master Fan

*BUMP*
Pretty clear these two will be happening the second half of the season.

Now there's no way that these two could ever be healthy because of the kind of power Eli has over Imogen. My question is does anyone else want Degrassi to address this in some way? It seems like unhealthy relationships on this show were portrayed for just that but now they're just glamorized. I know it's probably just because I'm older than most Degrassi fans but I worry about the kind of message that sends what about the younger viewers who fall for Imogeli than go out and get in similar relationships? I worry it could lead to an abuse situation.
Reply   Post New Thread